“When can I go back?”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We just returned from celebrating our 10th anniversary at Secrets Maroma Beach. This is a vacation that we meticulously planned for 2 years. I am not exaggerating when I say that we read the reviews on TripAdvisor every night in the last couple of months prior to leaving. All that to say, we had very high expectations that were surpassed throughout our visit in most ways.

The drive from the main road is a bit bumpy and a few miles and you will wonder where you are going. Don't worry-- you're on the right path if this describes your trip! We were very tired upon arrival and greeted with cold towels and champagne. We were asked if we wanted to learn about the vacation club and extra coupons. We just firmly said no and never heard another word about it. The front desk staff was helpful and kind throughout our stay!

We stayed in an ocean view room. The room was not giant but perfect for this trip considering we spent most of the time outside. The Secrets box is so handy for room service and the bathroom is more than spacious for two people to get ready at once. We had a far-off ocean view from our balcony but it was pretty even if not a close view. We didn't spend much time on our balcony, so we plan to get a swim out the next time we go.

The beach was even more beautiful than we expected. We had asked our travel agent specifically for a beach with white sand, very little seaweed, and clear water. This beach surpassed our expectations! It is so beautiful and I really don't have any other words for it. (Shout out to Julie at Design Travel in Rogers, AR, for making this trip amazing!!)

The grounds of the resort are impeccable. The buildings and pools are in great shape. We enjoyed laying on the comfortable beach chairs and pool chairs and always had shade or sun available. We typically went to the beach by about 10 and did not have trouble getting chairs at the beach. We also loved the swinging beds to lay on, just off from the beach. Those seemed to be rarely used. We also enjoyed laying at the pool some, but are just more interested in the beach. The infinity pool seemed to be the calm pool whereas the pool nearest the Seaside Grill was more of a party pool (where the swim-up bar is, so this makes sense).

Some of the food was outstanding (in our opinion) while some was just ok. The breakfast buffet at World Cafe was one of our favorites each day! The made to order omelets and crepes were delicious. The lunch buffets was just ok, but I did always enjoy the pizza. Dinner at the Japanese restaurant was absolutely delicious-- so much so that we went two nights in a row! Dinner at the Italian, Mexican, and French restaurants were varied; some courses were great at each and some were just ok. Overall, the one area we think there could be a bit of improvement (for us) is the food. However, we also realized that in another country, food interpretation varies, so it could be more about that and less about the quality of the food.

Room service was fine and usually took 45 minutes to an hour to arrive.

There is a lot to do at this resort throughout the day. While I love laying on the beach, my husband prefers to be active, so we wanted a place with a lot to do. We went kayaking; sailing on the catamaran; snorkeling; played mini golf, darts, and ping pong; took a kitchen tour; and had a vow renewal ceremony. We also enjoyed the swing bar on the beach and walking to the south which is just lovely deserted beach for a few miles.

If you are going for your anniversary, we HIGHLY recommend the vow renewal ceremony. We expected it to just be 5 minutes of reciting our vows, but it was actually much more than that and something we will cherish for a long, long time.

As many have said before me, the staff is just beyond amazing at Secrets Maroma Beach!! I cannot overstate this. Everyone we went, staff was offering to help us, asking us how we were doing, and saying it was their pleasure to help. I have never been anywhere else where resort staff went so far out of their way to help guests. It was a little bit of a rude awakening to come back to the US and visit the Atlanta airport food court after the amazing service at the resort! :-) We did tip when we received especially great service and always at dinner. This didn't seem to be expected but was always appreciated. Next time, I will take more ones and tip everyone, because they all deserve it.

A few random tidbits: visit the CoCo Cafe for some great frozen coffee drinks. We went often and it was almost always empty. We were very impressed by the fire show and the Beatles show. Great job, entertainment team! The wi-fi seemed to work on the side of the beach close to the swing bar but not on the other side. It usually worked in our room and in the main buildings.

All of the staff members were great, but there are a few I specifically want to thank:

Jordan and Israel on the entertainment staff gave us a really neat kitchen tour.

Perla was the photographer at our vow renewal and took amazing photographs for us

Lucy at the CoCo Cafe provided excellent service on multiple occasions as she went out of her way to get special ingredients for us.

Jonathan was an awesome sailing teacher! We truly appreciated the time he took to teach us and his kindness in offering us advice each day after.

I appreciated working with Barbara, one of the wedding coordinators. She took care of most of the details via email before we got there and made everything go smoothly. The minister (whose name I did not get) was also awesome! I cried through the whole ceremony as it was so sweet and meaningful to us.

Fabiola wins concierge MVP award in my book. She took care of everything we needed and did so quickly. One night after my husband's phone took a dip in the pool, she stayed after her normal leaving time of 5pm for at least a couple of hours to continue checking on whether room service had delivered rice to us. She went above and beyond on more than one occasion and was always so happy and eager to help. Thank you, Fabiola!!

Lastly, I want to thank Arely, a hostess whom we saw at a few of the restaurants. We were very impressed that she remembered us after seeing us a few times and always was extra kind and helpful. The last night, she arranged for the chef to make us a special dessert as we were leaving. Thank you, Arely, for making our evenings special! We always appreciated your help.

We did't use the wait staff on the beach that frequently (since we didn't lay around much), but when we did they were always attentive, helpful, and kind.

If you are considering Secrets Maroma, just GO! We are trying to figure out when we can go back and hope to make it a tradition every few years.

11  Thank Elizabeth S
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear guest.

Congratulations on your 10th year anniversary! We are happy you've decided to celebrated here with us and we hope to see you again!

Thank you for the lovely review!

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing honeymoon! The resort is beautiful and the staff is fantastic! The beach was gorgeous and the food and drinks were great! Everyone should go and see for yourself how wonderful Secrets Maroma Beach is!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Danielle L

Dear guest,

Thanl you very much for submitting your review and recommending our resort to other guests. We hope you write us very soon telling us you will be back.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Rooms, The staff, The food, The location...everything was amazing with no hint of exaggeration. The staff at Secrets Maroma truly made us feel at home. I was really sad to say "good bye" (not for long though). Please please please never slack on customer service...it truly adds to such an amazing experience. After all is said and done, things don't matter...people do! My pleasure!!!

Room Tip: Preferred swim out suites
2  Thank JLee724

Dear guest,

We are happy you had an amazing experience in our resort and we look forward seeing you here on your first year anniversary!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We have been to this property many times and have yet to be disappointed. Secrets Maroma has kicked up the experience a notch, something I wouldn't have thought possible. I've always enjoyed staying here but our latest stay has been the best ever. The hotels personnel are beyond belief. They can't do enough to help you enjoy your stay and do everything with a smile.
The restaurants, which have always been good, has even stepped it up. We happen to prefer the italian and french in particular. The food is great and the service is absolutely impeccable.
Thank you Secrets and thanks to all your employees. You always make our vacations enjoyable but have made our latest vacation incredible.

3  Thank Joe B

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the five stars rating review! We appreciate your comments and hope you return home soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at Secrets Maroma Beach for our honeymoon. We were so impressed from the moment we arrived until the moment we left the property. We were immediately greeted by courteous staff who couldn't wait to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. We were whisked off to our room which was new, clean and spacious. We spent the week enjoying the many different restaurants on the resort, the pool and beautiful beach area, the spa facilities, and the live entertainment. This hotel is absolutely top notch. EVERYONE on staff from the janitorial staff to the concierge to the entertainment crew treated us with excellent customer service. All of the ammenties were clean, fresh and comfortable. There are plenty of activities for everyone- mini golf, ping pong, cooking lessons, jungle bike tours, etc. The food was absolutely phenomenal, especially for an all inclusive resort. This hotel leaves no detail unturned. I will definitely come back and recommend this hotel to friends and family!!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend choosing the preferred package which allows for a personal concierge, speed...
2  Thank Channing U

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We look forward having you back home soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went to secrets maroma with a group of friends and it has been the most amazing place we have ever stayed. Other couples in the group opted for the sea views and preferred club but we went for the swim up rooms and would not look back. It was amazing to be able to go for a swim before bed or first thing in the morning without having to walk anywhere!

In general as mentioned by others there is the aspect of the timeshare sales....we just said we were too tired when we arrived and ended up collecting our massage vouchers later in the week without being subjected to the talk...go firgure! Up to you if you want to chance it.

The Experience:
On arrival the quality of the hotel is evident from the moment you arrive. Concierges await at the door to welcome you home and take your cases immediately. You are then ushered in to a beautiful reception and offered champagne, cookies and wet face towels(sweet!).
Once checked in they did try to move us towards a talk but after flying from Dublin via UK we looked like zombies and they gave up on us so we were taken to our rooms.
The room was AMAZING - it's actually the size of a suite and the doors opened directly on to the swim out pool. Bed was so comfortable we never wanted to leave and having a nespresso and well stocked mini bar as well as round the clock room service sealed the deal on best hotel room ever.
The resort itself is incredible - pool has plenty of space around it and you are never looking for seats - even when there are six or seven of you together. Activities are ongoing - waterpolo, aqua aerobics, yoga, kayaking, volleyball, cookery lessons etcetc. You would never be bored.
Don't forget - It's completely all inclusive. This means alcohol as well so you can sit by the pool/beach with as many cocktails as you want.
Food is all 5 star and we enjoyed meals in each of the restaurants - mexican, french, italian, main restaurant, although the japanese place wasn't nice - the food was the lowest standard there.
The entertainment was a bit of fun - each night had something different Xfactor show, acrobats, Rock show - that kind of thing. There was a little niteclub there as well.
We got a free massage and it was nice - spa is lovely.
Fantastic place to stay and the staff could not have been any nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: Lots of bug spray, swim up rooms are great for late nite swim
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Deisebabe

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I just returned from my 2nd trip to Secrets Maroma Beach. We scheduled at last second so the prefered club rooms were all that were available, extra money...But being that our first trip was so amazing, I didn't blink an eye at the extra $. It all started very badly. Our flight landed early that morning so we were there by 11:00am. They scooted us off to the perfered club, our rooms were not ready. So we went to eat lunch, hopefully rooms would be ready after. We returned to the club, were told they would be ready in an hour. They did not offer to any other amenities so we could at least get to our luggage and grab swim suits, we were told to wait. During this time I saw 5-6 parties come through and their rooms were available which did not set well with me or my party. My sisters room was available a little after 2pm, arrangements were made to send my luggage up to her parties room and mine would be availabel shortly. We dressed and went to the beach. At 4:30, I came from the beach, still, no room. This is when I became irrate with the check-in manager and yes, I did create a stir. Needless to say, I was in my room 10min later, with my luggage which she brought up herself. They did try to sooth the savage beast and offered me a complemintary beach cabana for a day which I did enjoy, so much I reserved one for the next day also thanks to the Beach Conceir Auturo--who was fantastic and very attentive. The spa treatments were wonderful, I can't complain at all about the food. The prefered club was disappointing, Upgraded mini-bar--airplane bottles of rum, vodka, and jack. pringles, and m&m's. There were no perks actually for the extra money. Entertainment staff were also disappointing. Very friendly the 1st time I was there, not as personable this time. One thing I really enjoyed the first time was the atmosphere of high quality but...comfortable surroundings. But changes are made everywhere you go, some good , some not as good. After the 1st wasted and yes I feel they wasted my first day for me, I had a very relaxing vacation and yes I will visit again but I will NOT book the prefered club at the cost... and internet,,,your phone will Not stay hooked up for any length of time so don't even go there

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rhonna M

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the review and in regards to the room not being ready, check in is at 3pm, if your room was given to you later than that we are glad they gave you a beach bed for the day.

If you see people getting their rooms before yours it is because it is a different room category/bedding etc.

I invite you to contact me if you wish to come back so we can make sure your room is ready if not before, at 3pm.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!