“Beautiful, magical, amazing...and all-inclusive!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went to secrets maroma with a group of friends and it has been the most amazing place we have ever stayed. Other couples in the group opted for the sea views and preferred club but we went for the swim up rooms and would not look back. It was amazing to be able to go for a swim before bed or first thing in the morning without having to walk anywhere!

In general as mentioned by others there is the aspect of the timeshare sales....we just said we were too tired when we arrived and ended up collecting our massage vouchers later in the week without being subjected to the talk...go firgure! Up to you if you want to chance it.

The Experience:
On arrival the quality of the hotel is evident from the moment you arrive. Concierges await at the door to welcome you home and take your cases immediately. You are then ushered in to a beautiful reception and offered champagne, cookies and wet face towels(sweet!).
Once checked in they did try to move us towards a talk but after flying from Dublin via UK we looked like zombies and they gave up on us so we were taken to our rooms.
The room was AMAZING - it's actually the size of a suite and the doors opened directly on to the swim out pool. Bed was so comfortable we never wanted to leave and having a nespresso and well stocked mini bar as well as round the clock room service sealed the deal on best hotel room ever.
The resort itself is incredible - pool has plenty of space around it and you are never looking for seats - even when there are six or seven of you together. Activities are ongoing - waterpolo, aqua aerobics, yoga, kayaking, volleyball, cookery lessons etcetc. You would never be bored.
Don't forget - It's completely all inclusive. This means alcohol as well so you can sit by the pool/beach with as many cocktails as you want.
Food is all 5 star and we enjoyed meals in each of the restaurants - mexican, french, italian, main restaurant, although the japanese place wasn't nice - the food was the lowest standard there.
The entertainment was a bit of fun - each night had something different Xfactor show, acrobats, Rock show - that kind of thing. There was a little niteclub there as well.
We got a free massage and it was nice - spa is lovely.
Fantastic place to stay and the staff could not have been any nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: Lots of bug spray, swim up rooms are great for late nite swim
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Deisebabe
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

info,semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I just returned from my 2nd trip to Secrets Maroma Beach. We scheduled at last second so the prefered club rooms were all that were available, extra money...But being that our first trip was so amazing, I didn't blink an eye at the extra $. It all started very badly. Our flight landed early that morning so we were there by 11:00am. They scooted us off to the perfered club, our rooms were not ready. So we went to eat lunch, hopefully rooms would be ready after. We returned to the club, were told they would be ready in an hour. They did not offer to any other amenities so we could at least get to our luggage and grab swim suits, we were told to wait. During this time I saw 5-6 parties come through and their rooms were available which did not set well with me or my party. My sisters room was available a little after 2pm, arrangements were made to send my luggage up to her parties room and mine would be availabel shortly. We dressed and went to the beach. At 4:30, I came from the beach, still, no room. This is when I became irrate with the check-in manager and yes, I did create a stir. Needless to say, I was in my room 10min later, with my luggage which she brought up herself. They did try to sooth the savage beast and offered me a complemintary beach cabana for a day which I did enjoy, so much I reserved one for the next day also thanks to the Beach Conceir Auturo--who was fantastic and very attentive. The spa treatments were wonderful, I can't complain at all about the food. The prefered club was disappointing, Upgraded mini-bar--airplane bottles of rum, vodka, and jack. pringles, and m&m's. There were no perks actually for the extra money. Entertainment staff were also disappointing. Very friendly the 1st time I was there, not as personable this time. One thing I really enjoyed the first time was the atmosphere of high quality but...comfortable surroundings. But changes are made everywhere you go, some good , some not as good. After the 1st wasted and yes I feel they wasted my first day for me, I had a very relaxing vacation and yes I will visit again but I will NOT book the prefered club at the cost... and internet,,,your phone will Not stay hooked up for any length of time so don't even go there

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rhonna M

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the review and in regards to the room not being ready, check in is at 3pm, if your room was given to you later than that we are glad they gave you a beach bed for the day.

If you see people getting their rooms before yours it is because it is a different room category/bedding etc.

I invite you to contact me if you wish to come back so we can make sure your room is ready if not before, at 3pm.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had our honeymoon at this wonderful Hotel in June. We stayed for 2 weeks & every day was a real treat. After arriving from the uk & spending 11 hours on the plane it was heaven to be greeted by smiling staff a cool towel & a glass of bubbly. Great start!
No mention of any vacation club but I did email ahead & say we were not interested.

Our room was in block 20 which was perfect for us, nice & quiet & near the spa & French & Italian restaurants. It was large & very well equipped with a garden tropical view. Lovely bird songs in the morning! The bed was HUGE & so comfy. Turn down service was consistent & very good. The room was spotless as was everywhere in this Hotel.

All the staff here work so hard & are willing to assist you with anything you may need. Always with a smile & 'its my pleasure' From bellboys, check in staff to concierge staff, they were all pleasant & very willing.

Special mentions to some of the staff we found to go above & beyond. Our concierge Fernanda, lovely helpful young lady. All the entertainment staff were fab & so full of life especially Ivan, Israel & Paulina. At the french restaurant, Daniella, sweet girl. Bernardo at Oceana(very funny & attentive) Sergio at the lobby bar, Arturo beach cabana concierge & a huge thank you to Cecelia! on the beach. She is the jewel in the crown here, superb service, always smiling & a genuinely lovely person.

Our favourite restaurants were the French & Oceana. Our least favourite was the Italian but I think that was more to do with our menu choices. I wouldn't recommend the steak, it was huge but full of fat which was actually quite difficult to see in the dim light in there. Hibachi show was brilliant. Pretty much all deserts were lovely. For lunch the World Cafe buffet was simply amazing. Vast choice & beautifully presented & tasty. The poolside grill was very good too although got a bit samey after 2 weeks. Breakfast at the World Cafe again was vast & superb. Coco cafe was good too.

We didnt sample the spa as for us it was way over priced. We did rent the beach cabanas twice, that was worth the money. So relaxing!

Evening shows were generally very good but aimed at Americans especially the comedian, not very funny in our opinion. Fire show was great.

This place does deserve its high rankings on Trip Advisor. It's some of the small things that make it stand out. Fresh flowers in the rooms & lobby areas, having your drink constantly topped up, gorgeous cocktails, no reservations at the restaurants (not a long wait) no towel game on the beach or by the pool, impeccably tended gardens, chefs parade, cold towels by the pool & on the beach etc etc.

Main pros for us were, the staff & service, beautiful beach, food choices, cleanliness (spotless everywhere) room size & comfort & the coatis!

Cons were a few inconsiderate groups of loud guests especially a few corporate groups that occasionally marred a nice quiet relaxing meal in the restaurants & prevented us from spending much time at the swim up bar. It was always packed with loud Americans. I think this Hotel would be greatly improved by stopping the large groups of people & sticking to the couples that I presume it was originally geared towards.
We also saw a very rude American 'man' tip the rest of his beer into the swim up pool below us & then spit into the water! Disgusting. Just glad we didnt choose a swim up. We did however meet some lovely couples American & European that enjoyed their holiday too but didn't interfere with anyone elses.

If you are thinking of booking this Hotel I would say just go for it! I cant imagine anyone being disappointed by it. A truly special place.
Would love to come again one day, when we've saved up or won the lottery!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 20. Nice & quiet near the spa & restaurants.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Angel1496

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the words! We appreciate your comments and you taking the time to write them.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We have literally just got back from 2 weeks at the resort where we stayed "en famille" We had an amazing time, the food was wide and varied and we did not get bored of it, the service was so very attentive and everybody made us feel welcome, the concierge had even clocked that we were Brits and wanted our "English Breakfast" tea!

The entertainment was also very wide and extremely well run with so many enthusiastic staff who were a lot of fun..... hope I mention them all Diana, Ivan (cheeky), Paulina, Jordan, Israel, Gabby, The Mexican ping pong champion (boom) and not forgetting the Ferminator!!

The weather was awesome too, hope to go back again.

Room Tip: The room was great and anyway it was only for sleeping in! Just go........!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Rt Hon Charles W

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We appreciate your comments and look forward seeing you soon.

info,semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We just returned from a week at Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon. It was amazing from start to finish. The staff is extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The property itself is gorgeous, clean and well maintained. Ivan & the Ferminator were amazing all week and kept the fun going no matter what we were doing. I have Celiac's disease and I would be worried that I would get sick or not be able to eat anything but they clearly have every food labeled from the buffet at breakfast to the menus at dinner. They also serve gluten free bread & have gluten free pasta at Portofino. The staff is well aware of what GF means, which was very comforting. I don't think I'll go anywhere else after staying here!!!

5  Thank Leslie I

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful words and five star rating!

We hope to see you home again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Hard to believe they went above and beyond all of our expectations! Excellent amenities, unbelievable service, delicious food, awesome activities, and a nearly perfect beach. Just one example of fun activities was the ocean kayak tour led by Ivan.

4  Thank Clay H
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the lovely comments and five star rating! We look forward seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I have never put up a review on Trip Advisor before, but this place was so special I had to let you know about our experience.
Much like you, researching these resorts, we were looking for an all-inclusive place to spend a special getaway (whether it’s a honeymoon, or anniversary, etc). We found Secrets Maroma Beach to have great reviews, and they were right.
Here’s what you can expect:
They are very friendly when you arrive, however, they will pawn you off onto a sales associate to try and push a time share (sorry, vacation club). If you’re willing to put up with a 90 minute pitch for a free massage, go ahead. Just know what’s in front of you. They give you the impression they are employees of the resort, but they are salesmen/women.
Now onto the rooms, you don’t expect a room to match the photos on the website but they do. The rooms are just as nice as expected. We had a swim-up room, which I highly recommend. It’s worth the extra couple bucks. The one negative is you don’t get much privacy with the bathroom.
The resort has several restaurants, all of which are good (with the exception of one, which I’ll get to in a minute). The resort is like a Corona commercial. It’s placed on powder white sands with warm crystal blue water and palm trees. It has a reputation for one of the best beaches in the world, and I can’t argue.
The resort was nearly full, but not crowded. There was always a place to sit by the pool or on the beach. You were never fighting crowds for a drink or a spot to sit.
The service is unbelievable! All the employees are happy to serve you and greet you with a smile. There are activities to keep you entertained (beach volleyball, pool volleyball, kayaking, angry birds sling shot on the beach, etc), but you’re not forced to participate if you don’t want to. (Tip, if you go kayaking, go on your own and don’t go far…it’s a long way back if you venture off on a tour). Ivan was a very enthusiastic member of the entertainment crew who we would see every day.
If you’re looking for the best beach bar in the world, stop by the hut on the beach and ask for Hugo or Cecilia. They are both the best in the business.
Now to the food. The world café near the center of the resort has EVERYTHING you could ever ask for breakfast. They have a huge selection. The Italian restaurant had a good selection, the Mexican restaurant was a pleasant surprise, the French restaurant has a good selection, the surf-and-turf restaurant near the pool was fantastic even for lunch. Speaking for lunch, they have a pool-side grill with burgers, fajitas, etc every day if that’s what you are looking for. There’s also a coffee bar upstairs near the check-in lobby that was a pleasant surprise.
They have a variety of entertainment at night. One evening it was a hypnotist (who was entertaining), another night it was an American Idol competition (which we passed on), another night it was a fire show near the pool followed by a foam party on the beach (side note: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CHECKING OUT THE FOAM PARTY.. it was actually REALLY fun!).
The only downside to our wonderful getaway happened on the final evening. There is one restaurant, the only one, which required a reservation. We made our reservation the first night we arrived and were set to eat at the Japanese Hibachi restaurant the final evening. Despite a confirmation receipt for our reservation… they did not have us down on their list for that night. After arguing with them about their mixup, they FINALLY found a table for us in the corner. We ordered off the menu, not from the hibachi grill, and the food was not up to par with the rest of their resort. The fish was hard, the deep fried food came to the table “soft” and we decided to get up and leave.
To their credit, the next day their chief concierge Ivan heard about our issue and apologized asking if there was anything they could do. Unfortunately it was the final night so we left the resort with a little bad taste in or mouths (literally too). If it weren’t for that error on their part, they would get a five star review.
The wifi around the resort is spotty (but who goes to a resort for the wifi). But if you’re looking for a romantic, all-inclusive place with terrific service on one of the best beaches in the world, this place is a home run! Bring plenty of sunscreen, a little bug spray, (just avoid the Japanese restaurant). I hope this review helped.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a swim out room. It was worth the extra money. Plus, we met some nice peop...
13  Thank James M

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the five star rating review! We hope to see you back home real soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!