“iPod Stolen From Housekeeping and Got the Run Around!!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My Husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon hoping for
the best after reading reviews here and being a newer hotel.
The hotel itself if pretty,clean and modern,the staff is friendly and the food is pretty good.It's also close the airport on a really amazing beach and you don't ever have to leave unless you want to do an excursion. On our second or third day there, we headed out to the main building and i wanted to charge my ipod on the alarm clock since the battery was dead. As we headed out,i put the "do not disturb" light on which usually means do not clean the room or come in right?
Well we came back about 25 mins later and the bed was made with stupid towel art on it and my ipod was gone!!! I was so upset,,first for housekeeping coming in the room when they shouldn't have and then we got the run around from management. They did their "investigating" and that got no where and then they even tried to say i possibly lost it myself!!
Then i spoke with SERGIO ARISTI who is reception management and he came off as being sincere and said they would credit my card for $200. I don't know why they couldnt just give me a check because he lied and i never got credit. I even faxed Sergio twice and wrote him 4 emails regarding this and it wasnt' until weeks later and a threat to writing a review here on trip advisor that i got any response. He wrote saying they could not credit my card but if i wanted to give them my bank account information they would make a deposit. REALLY?!!? Okay,what crazy person is going to give a stranger in foreign country their personal bank information? No one i know!
I still haven't heard anything back or receieved any compensation even though they said they would take care of it. It's really sad when you go on vacation like a honeymoon, you put your trust and money into their hotel and things like this happen. Also as honeymooners,you're supposed to get little upgrades and treats which we didn't!! We had to ask for the welcome basket and we never got the cold towel and champange upon arrival. It might be a great hotel if their housekeeping and staff didn't go in your room when they weren't supposed to and steal your personal things!!

5  Thank beverly18

Reviewed November 8, 2008

My husband and I went to Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon from 10/25/08-11/1/08. We booked through Liberty travel and upgraded our transfer to/from the airport to a private car from Olympus tours (they were great). This was our first trip to Mexico or an all-inclusive.

The road in isn't that bad...it's great to see land conservation in action.

When we arrived at the hotel, there was quite a line for check-in so someone asked us if we minded waiting for a few minutes. We had to book our return airport transfer so we took care of that then. We were "double-upgraded" to a swim-out in building 12. I had originally wanted something on a higher floor, but the swim-out was fine.

The room was great. I'm normally a privacy person, but the curtain between the tub and the bedroom didn't bother me at all. The safe was big enough to hold my purse and all of our travel documents.

We had the honeymoon banner, sparkling wine, and the fruit plate upon arrival, which was a nice touch.

We didn't use the swim-out that often and couldn't use it at night because of the mosquitos, but it was nice to have it available.
The housekeeping/turn-down was great and we had the bubble bath with rose petals one evening upon our return from dinner.

The beach was great. I'm used to the beaches on Prince Edward Island in Canada -- red sand and colder water, so it was great to experience white sand and bath-warm water. The waiters/waitresses on the beach were very nice and attentive.

We tended to hang out by the infinity pool more than the heated pool as inebriated complaining isn't really how we like to relax. The entertainment staff didn't really bother us because they could tell we were there to just relax.

The breakfast buffet was excellent...we liked it so much that we never ordered room service or went to one of the restaurants for breakfast. Himitsu was our favorite restaurant for dinner, and I usually hate Japanese. We had a tepanyaki table twice, ate at the sushi bar once (well my husband ate at the sushi bar, and I watched), and had a regular table once. The service at all of the restaurants was great and we never had to wait for a table (unless we booked a tepanyaki table).

We got $100 in spa coupons when we checked in so I booked facials for my husband and myself...this was his first one. Aesthetically, the spa is gorgeous and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the hydrotherapy circuit prior to his facial and then proceeded to sleep through the facial, which is testament to how much he enjoyed it.

The evening entertainment was ok. The back-up band for the Idol show was fantastic and made it worth sitting through drunk, oops, I forgot the words, where's my paper, singing. We were there for Halloween and they put on a masquerade show which was amazing for a one night only thing. After the masquerade show, the Idol back-up band was in the night club and that was the only time we went to the club.

Our only snag was that we had booked a fishing excursion through Aquaworld and to make a long story short, 3 of the 5 passengers on board were sick the entire time because the waves were so rough. My husband and I have been on boats our entire lives and have never been sea-sick. We were both unable to peel ourselves away from our designated "sick" locations on the boat to fish at all. So that was a waste of $200, but not the hotel's fault.

Even though we learned that the all-inclusive clientele aren't really our type of people, we had a great time and hope that we can come back to the area and the hotel in the future.

Some suggestions:
-- Be nice to the entertainment staff. They work insane hours and still manage to make sure that everyone has a good time.

--Bring conditioner, or spend $13 on it in the gift shop.

--We brought our own bug spray and didn't try the hotel's, but make sure you have it on hand.

--Don't waste the entire time complaining that your drinks didn't get to you fast enough, etc. You're on vacation, relax.

--If there's anything you especially want in your mini-fridge, just leave a note in the morning. We came back to a lovely supply of Coke.

--There is no ATM, so if you're a tipper (and everyone there deserves it), make sure to bring enough cash. We had to get cash out at the front desk and they charge you 10%.

9  Thank MooseyandDan
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Well we definitely agree with the good things . . .
the beach was beautiful, warm towels plentiful, food was generous, bar fabulous, (I've never tasted so many delicious drinks!!) and above all . . . the service was wonderful!

The road and the mosquitos are an issue, as is reception and management. They promise you a rose garden and give you a few thorns before you are satisfied. After promising us an upgrade, which by the way we were entitled to all along, we finally got to stay in an oceanview room the last 2 nights. And it was gorgeous! Not very nice treatment for honeymooners. However, the adorable, sweet coincerge, Makelia, building 24,comforted us daily and made it worthwile.( as did Rosy when we moved to her bldg. 26.) Great service. It was my birthday, and when we returned to the room after spending the day at the beach, there were ballooons, cake, champagne, and love birds (shaped in towels). How fabulous!

I was disappointed with the quality of the spa personnel. The attendants in the ladies locker room did not speak English and my chocolate treatment for $150 was not good at all. There was no hot water in the shower, so I had to rinse off the product with COLD water. Freezing! The lady who gave me the treatment was not of high caliber at all. The water was cold in the jacuzzi, etc.
They definitely need to kick it up a notch in the spa, which is just beautiful, if run smoothly.

The entertainment crew is a bit much for those of us who wish to relax and listen to soothing music. I had to beg for quiet often times when they were blasting classic rock at poolside. Suggestion: keep the tumult separate if possible from the guests requesting peace.

We would return, but only by invitation when they get the kinks out.
Eric is trying very hard to do that . . . I think.

5  Thank ilenedale5
Reviewed November 8, 2008

We stayed at SMB 10/27/08 – 11/3/08 for our wedding anniversary. To give a reference as to how I’m comparing this vacation, we have been to Mexico twice before in the past 2 years. Our first stay was at Excellence Riviera Cancun and the second was at Excellence Playa Mujeres, which I gave 5 stars each on my review. I think the main areas that placed ERC and EPM a step above SMB was the property layouts and better service.

Arrival:
We used Cancun Transfers for our transportation and have to say we were a little disappointed in the vehicles. The first was a beat up Chevy and the return vehicle was a Dodge in even worse shape that surprised me when it actually made it back to the airport. Also, even though telling our driver our airline, he dropped us off at the wrong terminal at the airport. Once we arrived at SMB, we were taken to a desk in the lobby and given cool towels and champagne. We had booked a partial ocean view room with the free upgrade and $100 spa credits. We received the spa credit and actually a 2 room category upgrade to a swim out suite, which I had mentioned in an email to the resort about a month before our arrival. I was very surprised that they accommodated my request. We were told our room would be ready in about 15 minutes so we had a seat in the lobby, grabbed another drink and were then shown to our room.

Room:
The room was gorgeous. They had a beautiful flower arrangement and letter offering a champagne breakfast in bed for our anniversary. Also, a bottle of champagne and a fruit tray arrived when we were out checking out the grounds. The swim out was very nice but we only ended up getting in the pool once due to the mosquitoes, which we heard was also a problem on the upper level rooms. We had maid service completed every day by 2pm or earlier, turn-down service every night except for one, which was due to the fact that they came at 4:30 (??) and we turned it down. One night we returned to our room and found rose petals on our bed and a bubble bath with rose petals surrounded by candles waiting for us.

Food and Drinks:
We enjoyed all of the meals we had with our favorites being Portofino and Bordeaux. The breakfast buffet at the World Café had pretty much anything you could want. Breakfast at Seaside was very good too, where you order from a menu. At 4 – 6pm every afternoon the have a specialty coffee and hor’dourve presentation in the lobby. The specialty changes every day which selections such as Mexican, Mayan, Irish, French, etc. They were all very good and the hor’dourves included finger sandwiches, chocolate covered strawberries, along with other desserts. All of the drinks were very good and they do use top shelf liquors as long as you ask for them.

Service:
Overall, we had very good service except for a few occasions that we had extremely slow service in the restaurants. I feel the service will improve the longer the resort is open. It was never anything we felt was unbearable but unfortunately we did see guests on several occasions being extremely rude to the employees for silly reasons like their soup not being quite hot enough. Also, I think some of the guests need to realize that they are in a foreign country and that the comprehension of English does not increase with increasing the volume of your voice.

Our concierge Jorge was absolutely wonderful and we did have a couple small issues in the room like the bathtub not filling up due to a faulty plunger and he had it fixed within 15 minutes!

Beach and Pool:
The beach was beautiful but the water was rough for the first part of our week due to high winds. There are more than enough palapas for everyone, as it seems that most people want to stay at the pool. The pools were nice but the lounges were kind of crammed around them.

Spa:
We toured the spa and it was breathtaking but unfortunately we did not end up having any spa services performed.

6  Thank BeakerRX
Reviewed November 6, 2008

We got back yesterday from a four night stay at Secrets Maroma Beach. It was a great trip overall-- here were our impressions on specifics:

Service-- Good for the most part. Waitstaff was great. Our concierge was basically useless. We asked for a few basic things and she never sent them. When we questioned her about it she said that she didn't understand what we were asking for. (Which she never told us-- she said "Okay" and then never sent them.)

Food-- Good, not the best I have ever had. Portions are very small. It's funny how the same things are served in multiple restaurants with different names. :) The World Cafe was the best in my opinion.

Bars-- Excellent service. Great drinks. They are NOT skimpy on the alcohol. Try a mango tango!

Room Service-- Very prompt service with delivery. Very slow service with pickup. We had things sitting ready for pickup in the "secret box" for a day and a half. (After calling three times and asking for it to be picked up.) Also, warning!!! delivery people/housekeeping do NOT adhere to the "Privacy Light" or use of the "Secret Box" as they are supposed to. It was pretty aggravating.

Room-- Definitely the most beautiful I have ever stayed in. Great bed. Great bathtub. Great sheets/towels, etc. I loved the lighted closets.

Mosquitoes were AWFUL. I mean really, really bad. Like horror movie bad. Hundreds swarm you at a time as soon as dusk hits. Bring GOOD repellent. (I bought Jungle Juice from REI-- worked great.)

Spa-- Mediocre at best. WARNING!!! If you get a "spa credit" as part of a package-- they will NOT let you use it for a manicure/pedicure/any of the salon services. We fought it for a while and they did eventually let us use it for a pedicure but that's not the "policy." Basically just a massage or a facial is what you can use it for.. Very overpriced. The nail "technician" (and I use that word LOOSELY) was more or less inept. She literally put nailpolish all over the end of my toes and then "erased" with q-tips dipped in nailpolish remover. It was ridiculous.

Pools were beautiful! Well maintained. Great pool amenities (towels, chairs, floats, etc.) The pool nearest to the ocean is NOT heated though, and that one is FREEZING cold.

Ocean-- PERFECTION. Pristine. Amazing. They have great equipment you can use (sea kayaks, catamarans, etc... and they will show you how to use them as well.

"Recreation" Services: Yeah, not so much. They try. They do, but the rec. services are pretty B-grade. And WARNING! Do not sit in the front row during the "fire show." They fire show performers TWICE dropped flaming equipment off the stage into the audience. Seriously. the theater is comfortable though. Very. Desires Nightclub was a bust.

We didn't do any excursions, but we did travel into Playa Del Carmen one day ($40 roundtrip by cab). IT WAS AWESOME. HIGHLY recommend it.

One more warning! Phone calls back to the US are VERY expensive. I think it was almost $10 per minute.

All in all, it was a great vacation. I hope it doesn't sound like all I am doing is complaining, because we DID really enjoy it for the most part. I think a lot of the things we were unhappy with are just little "glitchy" things that will get ironed out with time and better training of staff as they get into the swing of things better.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ggmanmama
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Arrived to Mexico survived the customs chaos check in! We have traveled to this area 12 times and its always interesting in the airport! We compare the resort to Blue Bay club, Royal Solaris, Riu Palace Las Americas, Moon Palace, El Cozumeleno, Allegro in Cozumel, El Dorado Royale, Sandals in Jamaica, and the Excellence in Puerto Morales. This Secrets is in the top 3. Excellence being the nicest! The beach is amazing with great service, rooms were so pretty and cozy! Room service very nice. Pool is amazing with wonderful service. The disco was fun! The shows were very entertaining! The weather during the day was great cool at night would take sweaters and longer pants! Sundresses were not warm enough at night! The gormet resteraunts were not for us, we loved the atmosphere but left hungry! The steak place was the best! Cheeseburgers on the beach were great! The Hobie Cat sailing was the time of my life! Kayaking was fun! The beach was the best I have seen! Service spectacular. Mosquitos are horrible thousands of them in our room bites all over us! Deet candles and more deet, no parfume or fruity lotions! In spite of the bugs everything was amazing! Our friends caught a 9 foot hammerhead shark while deep sea fishing they were stoked! Great trip, great hotel. For excursions count on about 100.00 per person, we stay and play at the resort taxi to Playa around 25 bucks one way! The resort had everything we needed wanted for nothing cant go wrong here!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
8  Thank TexasHaglers
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I will preface this review by telling everyone that I am in day #3 of a 10 day stay and will write a full review when I return. My stay is a work in progress but I would warn those considering booking a trip to this resort. I have been reading every review since the resort opening and to those of you that follow trip advisor know, everyone has different opinons and you have to read through the reviews to get the general consensus. We had booked on American Express through Newark, 4500 for 10 nights ocean front room. This was a great price at the time that I booked it in the first week of August. We could of had partial ocean view for 3250 but decided to splurge. I heard reviews that ocean front seemed to be a problem for some people that booked it so I called AE 3 weeks before leaving so that they would call the resort and make sure the ocean front buildings were open etc. They confirmed. So low and behold on our arrival there apparently was a flood in our room and they had no ocean fronts available. We said, fine just refund us. They told us it was between us and american express. They offered us another room and 200 spa credit and wanted us to sign a waiver. We wanted them to get AE on the phone they gave us the rep at the hotel who was equally as useless We told them to call the 800 number on our reservations which they finally did, AE called the hotel and they finally micraculously found a oceanfront room. Now we had not booked a swim up and we purposefully didnt due to the mosquito problem. The only room they had was in bulding 16 room 1710 and is a swimup which is in the ocean front building however there is a tiki hut on the beach along with equipment that occludes the view of the ocean, not to mention that it butss up to the neighboring hotel service buildings so we have a chain link fence on our side with the service people from the hotel going back and forth down the trail alongside the fence. Do not let them give you this room. So now we are waiting for our room to get fixed which they said could take up to a week or more because they have to change all the plumbing. They said they have no checkouts until Nov 8 and then we will be moved to the room that we actually paid for. But of course I meet someone who is in a ocean front and is checking out today but they played dumb when |I went to them with this information and asked me what room he was in and was he checking out early. I will not go to a secrets again. Are we enjoying ourselves. Yes we are not letting this ruin our vacation but I would not stay at another secrets again when you cant trust them and get what we paid for. I am still wondering if I should call EX again but want to just enjoy myself and not get caught up in all this. If you get a great deal 3000 for a week for partial ocean, go but this place is only worth it if you get a deal.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!