“Unbelievable trip!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
erie, colorado
“Unbelievable trip!”
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Secrets Maroma Beach. I have to say from the private transfers with American Express from the airport to the greetings we received when we reached Secrets we were excited and relaxed! We booked a preferred Swim-out suite. We were greeted by name by everyone and told they had been expecting us, they lead us all the way to building 25 all the while giving a tour. We were greeted in the preferred lounge with Welcome home, any drink of our choice as well as cold towels. Our check in with Jonathon was delighful and speedy. We were lead quickly to our room by our concierge Nancy (wonderful by the way) and our luggage was already there. I can tell you how comfortable it felt to be treated so kindly.

This was just the beginning of our week in heaven. We had a vow renewal ceremony planned Saturday evening on the beach. The wedding coordinator, I can't speak highly enough of, Ceclia. She and I had been corresponding for over 2 months about the details of what we wanted. I can unequivocably say she was a better wedding planning than the person I used for our first wedding! It was unbelievable! If your planning a wedding for secrets DO IT! You won't be disappointed.

The food, in general excellent, my husband couldn't stay away from Martha's omelets at the World Cafe. The hostess Denisse was adorable, hi! from the Arnold's! The seaside cafe was also excellent for breakfast, I loved the quesadilla's with chorizo.

Portofino, El Patio and Himitsu were our favorite dinner spots. Almost always too full to have dessert, but ordered ice cream in our room - outstanding the best we ever had! Chocolate and Coconut can't be missed.

The entertainment crew Oscar, Alejandra, Juan....all wonderful and alot of fun! The shows are definitely getting better and the band they use for idol night is excellent (they also play at the disco on friday night).

Ok. just a few things for the downside...stuff that happened but didn't spoil ANY part of our trip.

1. Two days after we arrived the light bulb in our shower blew, we didn't call anyone, couldn't be bothered, we could still see enough to shower and shave.

2. The refrigerator, never worked, but again didn't care, had the preferred lounge bar a few steps away and just grabbed bottled water, beer or soda and brought back to the room.

3. The water pressure was sort of low, but not too much to complain about.

4. The maids sometimes didn't get to our room to clean until 5:pm in the afternoon. Not sure what that was about. We were there during the grand opening and they were extremely full and busy. Oh well. They did come back after cleaning every night and to do turn down service.

5. One additional tip, the swim-outs on the 20's side, i.e. the right when looking at the ocean, do not get any sun. So the water is very cool. If your looking to hang at your pool alot, ask from room in the 15 - 18's, they get more sun.

6. It was the rainy season, but made the best of it. Hung out at pool and got in the water when it rained, hey your wet anyways right?

7. The spa was wonderful, had my wedding hair and makeup done by Raquel, gosh she did a good job. The massages were also excellent, however NO hot water in the beautiful showers. Twice we did massages and I was unable to take a shower in the spa. Bummer!!

All in all it was a fabulous and relaxing vacation. I do have to say if you don't know spanish it's ok, however if you try to learn a little they really appreciate it. I witnessed some people from the US, who obviously didn't know spanish, practically yelling at the waiter they were giving their order to. Just because they speak a different language does not mean they are deaf! It was a little disheartening, as these people are working extremely hard. We spoke to a few (as I am fluent in spanish) asked them what their daily wage was and I was astonished to learn it is equivalent to an hours wage for us in the U.S. I realize it is all-inclusive, however if you find someone doing an extremely good job, give a tip, they could use it! You will also find in return even more good service.

Hi to all our favorites, Jonathon, Cecelia, Nancy, Eloy, Oscar, Alejandra, Denisse, Manuel and Betsy. Thanks so much for making it a memorable and wonderful anniversary trip for my husband and myself. We will be back!

• Liked — The beach was amazing....
  • Disliked — the road to secrets......needs to be paved.
10 Thank barnold164

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,474)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My very first time in Mexico was spent at the Secrets Maroma Beach and Resort. The place is simply awesome, the staff very gracious and service excellent. The foliage still very young but give it a year or 2 it and it will be even more beautiful. The grounds are well maintained. Everything is new. I'm an early riser and like to see the sunrise. The staff are all working very hard already by the time I left the room to go to the beach (6:00 AM). The MAROMA beach is absolutely beautiful ... fine white sand (no rocks), the water is soooo warm and very clear.

the food: Most days we ate at the Seaside Grill (the food is great) . We also tried Portofino (3x lol) and room service is a very nice touch (especially the prvt box for the room service delivery) We did not get the chance to eat @ Patio , Bordeaux , Himitsu (still closd then) and Oceana .. so could not comment.. But the World Cafe buffet was delicious The staff are all very courteous and eager to give great service.. The most sincere " my pleasure" for every thank you... Oswaldo is our favorite waiter from the SEASIDE grill.. The staff never expected, hovered around for tips but we tipped anyway.. cause it was well worth it!!!

the room: well ,what can I say about the room... it was beautiful!! We had a large four poster with sheer drapes, marble floors throughout, large tub, A SWIM OUT balcony. The room is very clean as the whole entire resort. There was also a sitting area before the sliding doors ( w/ wooden shutters) to the balcony and then another sitting area outside on the balcony by your semi prvt swim out.

I just wanted to personally thank one of the managers there (Rafael) .. HI RAFAEL!!!! thank you for the personal attention to details. It was a beautiful room =) .. Also to Michaela our concierge ( maybe next time we can all party in Playa Del Carmen) thanks for everything.. Oswaldo!!!! u are the funniest and our most favorite waiter (although everyone was also exceptional)... I came back on a work trip 2 weeks later and they all still recognized and remembered me... =)))... I will be sure to come back soon and is highly recommending this resort to everyone that woould listen..

Oh and we weren't able to participate on the other activites that was offered in the resort ( can't comment ) because we also went to Playa Del Carmen everyday.. =) HI CHARLIE!!!

• Liked — beach area, service and room
  • Disliked — slight issue at check in but nothing to take away from the resort
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank chynname
ESSEX
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Ok, get ready for this, I thought after all the reviews i had looked at before I arrived on the 05Oct for 10 nights, I was a little worried, as they are very mixed. I travel 2-5 times a year and like the nicer thing's in life, work hard / play hard. We always stay with Sandals so this time we thought we would try Secrets and was nicely surprised. We arrived from our ten hours flight from the UK, to be greeted by our car and taken to the resort. Yes they had alot of rain so the road to the hotel does look abit like an off road safari. We arrived at the hotel to be told no King beds only two doubles, my Fiance is away with the forces on tour's in Afghan and Iraq so we upgraded to a king bed room with the swim out pool area. Great but we were in Block 24 and there really is no sun that faces onto the terraces at the bottom. We also got our own concerige Micheala who was great and arranged for Balloons and Champagne to be in our room for my partner's birthday.

We thought we would enjoy the room and then we went to the gym and a run on the beach, yes a bit crazy as we were tired. We ate in all the restaurants apart from the Oceanic which is by the pool as mainly fish, and my partner is not a lover of Seafood. All the restaurants were great, the only one we were dissapointed with was the Italian as everybody said it was great. Perhaps they were having a bad day, it was my partner's birthday on the 10th so we saved the Italian for his special day. He ordered a starter which was a 3 cheese selection, he only got one sort of cheese. Oh well try the next course he ordered the Spinach Ravoili , which was Brocolli no Spinach and the Pasta parcels were raw,

So that was it, no deserts and off to the Bar for a large drink! or two!! The food portions were an average size but in some restaurants, if you like your food you might need to nip in somewhere else after for a quick snack. We ordered room service 4 times and it was great the Burger's are very filling. On the whole I thought this was a good resort, I think in maybe 3-4 months it will be top 5 star, as I said we had a really good time and did not have any real problems, nothing that would spoil our holiday anyway. We did speak to a alot of people that had travelled from the US, they seemed to enjoy the resort with a few issues, regarding the rooms and the honeymooners packages. Because the resort is new, from what I understand alot of the rooms where not finished Jacuzzi's leaking no hot water etc. However we were ok and that's probably why they sold us the upgraded room, as the room we booked was not up to standard.

TRIPS- Ok if you are a keen deep sea fisherman - dont bother! We paid approx USD120 each plus transfer of USD60 to Marina for our sea fishing trip of 6 hours. The weather was not good and the sea very rough, I would check when booking this trip you will actually be fishing as we watched , why they fished and we could reel the fish in !!! pointless when paying to catch the fish ourselves and to be honest I spent the whole time feeding the fish not a good trip for me!

We also booked the Dolphin trip at aquaworld approx USD140 each included transfer, this was good if you are a dolphin lover, but the photos and dvd were costly, I think it was USD49.00 for 1 printed picture. And they way it is done because you are both in the water you cannot take pictures of your partner! KEY TIP! Take a waterproof camera for this !!

After day 6 in the resort we noticed it was filling up, even though there are alot of sunbed loungers, if you dont get down to the pool before 9.00am you will be out of luck! We tipped the pool waitress Becki everyday and she looked after us well, the pool bar was good however the staff did not seem to be too over enthusiastic.

ENTERTAINMENT- Ok we saw the pop idol contest which was good, the circus act was good and the Comedy act. The entertainment staff were good , if you did not want to get involved they did leave you alone. In the 10 days I was there only managed Bingo and water aerobics once but it is there if you want to take part.
DESIRES- Ok disco disco disco - I am in my mid thirties like to party , but to be honest I thought it was the same tape every night that we did go in for a dance and a drink. But hey at least they had a night club that you could dance the night away in.

I hope I have covered most points that people always want to know about. As I have said ** we had a great time and thought overall the resort was fantastic**

• Liked — BED AND JACUZZI
  • Disliked — NA
5 Thank SMITHEssex
Cambs
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We have just returned to the UK after a weeks stay at the Secrets Maroma.

After reading many reviews, we were ready for the road in, and at first, thought this isnt too bad, until we realised our driver had taken us to the wrong hotel. Yes the road is terrible, and Ive never seen a worse entrance to a hotel. But we were lucky and never had to reverse or stop.

The check in was easy, and we didnt have to wait. No sign of a drink or towels as previously read, but then again, after 18+hrs of travelling, we were pleased to get to our room.

The room was lovely, a good size, with plenty of space for clothes, all the lotions etc you could wish for, a nice jacuzzi bath (which we had to have fixed), great shower etc. We couldnt use the balcony or leave the door open due to the infamous mosquito problem. We were very careful to close doors immediatley, and dont normally suffer from bites, but we got bit about 10 times each, even after using lotion. Yes it is as bad as everyone says.

Room service was ok (circa 25mins) and mostly correct.

If you like to hang your clothes, take hangers, as we only got given 8 in total.

Our front door never closed properly, and would bang constantly during the night due to the high winds all week. They couldnt do much about that.

The hotel is very clean, and has alot of staff working very hard. All the staff were very friendly and do a great job. You do feel everyone is after a tip, which we duly gave if we felt that person was providing a good service.

The restaurants were nice, and we used the World Cafe most of the time. We never had to queue, and found the food very good. we also found there to be a very good selection of drinks.

The pools were nice and a reasonable size, and seemed to cope ok, even though the hotel was at full capcity. Most people use the pool with the bar, leaving the beach side pool (not heated) to be almost empty.

Unfortunately everyone else in the resort appeared to obtain there sunbed very early in the morning, then go off for brekkie, or do other chors, and returning later. By 9am the few hundred sunbeds were all taken. Sometimes we were lucky and found a space. We also saw people sit in one space, then move to another location, leaving the old towel there. Others also leave the pool area and dont take their towels back.

The beach is truly lovely, however we were looking forward to using the watersports, but due to red flags all week bar 1 day, this stopped our fun.

In the week, we had 2 days when the sun came out for a long spell, the rest of the week was black cloud, very windy and alot of rain.

The poor weather also meant all beach parties etc were cancelled.

The shows were very average and unfortunately all geared up for the american tourist. Most shows would start with,'who is here from the US....woooo....who is here from Canada...wooo, well we have a great show for you tonight' Its not a big issue but it does leave you a bit alienated, although we did find most of the holidaymakers very friendly

Also, with beach shows being cancelled, it left some nights with eg an american singer @ 9pm in the theatre singing mainly american hits, followed by american foortball on the screen in the disco @ 10pm.

The main problem for the hotel is location. Yes this does mean it can be on a great beach, but when the weather turns bad, and its miles from anywhere, it does leave you with not alot to do. A beach holiday with terrential rain, just isnt the same.

We went to the Barcelo in Cancun (3+*) in Feb and had an amazing holiday, so yes we would return to Mexico again, but probably find a hotel nearer to the action, and book between jan and april when there is less chance of bad weather.

Overall, it is a lovely hotel, but still room for improvement

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The location and the nosquitos
5 Thank abritabr0ad
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Alrightly folks, I'll just hit on key points that most people probably want answers too. We were anxious to see Maroma because we've stayed at Secrets Capri in the past.

First, the road to the resort is like a mine field of pot holes and isn't easy to drive, but like others have said, it is a nature reserve so they get a pass on that. Maybe they'll pave it in the future, but be prepared.

Check in was ok, unfortunately we arrived the week of October 11 and they were planning their grand opening party on the 14th, so they were completely overbooked and not upgrading people like normal. We did get cold towels and Champagne, but we noticed over the week that it didn't happen for everyone. Our room was 2442, Bldg 24, the last building before the Preferred club buildings and the view as well as location were great. This resort is NOT small, so you do have to walk a bit to get to the beach and the lobby. It's not a big deal, but if you go to the beach and forget something, it's a hike back to most rooms. Room was great, still that stupid curtain between the bathroom and bedroom. You think by now they would have figured out to make it more private from the bathroom. If you or someone else is sick, or up in the middle of the night, the person in bed will hear and see it all, kinda sucks.

Pool is great, except for the music, it sucked. I can only speak from experience at Capri, but this pool is way laid back. Except for the games, the crowd is pretty lame. We did get it going one day at the swim up bar because it was raining and the hardcore people stuck it out. Otherwise, it's just quiet and relaxing, not a bad thing if that's what you want. (Side note, get up early, like 8am and claim chairs if you want to sit somewhere specific, only because everyone else does and forced us too as well.) I like good music poolside, not dreary elevator music, just my opinion.

Beach is amazing, just like the other reviews claim. We visited Secrets Silversands one day to check it out and believe me, the beach at Maroma is like 1000 times better. Plenty of chairs on the beach and the water is rock free! Walk down to Maroma Resort and see some serious luxury, amazing. They BBQ chicken and burgers on the beach at Noon, so hit that up, good stuff.

Restaurants. Ok, here is where I feel that Capri far and away is better then Maroma. I wasn't impressed with the food at any of the restuarants, but the service was ok, not great at all. It's not a make or break for staying here, but I was expecting better I guess. I'm from the NYC area, so high standards, but if you want to say that you're a 5 star, then make the food better!

Spa is fantastic, they really did a nice job. If you don't mind a rub down from a 5 foot tall Mayan woman then you'll find it adequate. Personally, my massage was just ok, but we took advantage of the daily specials they run, so the price wasn't that bad. No sauna or steam though, why not????

Gym is absolutely, undeniably aweful. I work out religiously and they dropped the ball on this. The place is packed every morning and they only have like 5 treadmills/elipticals to use. I think the worst thing is that the AC doesn't work, so it's like 75 degrees with 110 percent humidity in there. I stopped going after day 3 because it was nicer to run on the beach instead of dying in that sweat box. Way to small, they need to rethink that next time.

Ok, I hate long [--] reviews, but one last important thing. If you get a chance, take a day trip to Akumal. This is the 2nd year we've gone there and it's a hidden treasure. Calm beaches for snorkeling and laid back cafes right on the beach. This place is real deal Caribbean! Eat at Lol Ha or La Buena Vida.

If you go to Playa del carmen, go to the Blue Parrot or the caves for drinks. Go to La Perrolina for real mexican food.

Last but not least, BRING BUG SPRAY! The mosquitos aren't that bad everyday, but when they come out, it's fierce. They even camp out in the elevator and attack you. We got lucky because it was windy a few days which kept them away, but it's definitely an issue. Good luck and REMEMBER, IF YOU ASK FOR IT, they will do their best to get whatever you want.

• Liked — The Beach and the Pool
  • Disliked — Terrible music everywhere, no wireless internet, gym is terrible
5 Thank Diggy21
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 22, 2008

My Husband and I stayed here from Oct. 4 thru the 8th meeting up with friends. The reason I gave this property a 3 is because we did encounter some problems. This was our 5th time in the Riviera Maya area and have compared it from our prior experiences so it's my own thoughts written down for futer references.

We used Cancun Transfers for the 1st time and loved them. We booked online without prior payment. We were met by our greeter holding our names out front payed $82 cash and were at our hotel within 20 - 30 min.

We were not greeted with champagne and had to ask about checking in. We were upgraded to Ocean View 2449 and Loved our room. Our friends were in bldg 25 so we were close to one another although they had to change rooms the next night because their water never got hot. They were moved to bldg 1446 which was very nice!!!!

Best thing about this property was the beach, our room and the friendly staff. You could walk a couple miles both ways which we really enjoyed.

Worst thing about this property was the mosquitos. We have never been biten like this at any of our prior visits.

The pools were ok.. We spent our time by the infinity pool. I'm not sure why they call it an infinity pool because the view was obstructed from the ocean but it was ok.

Food was very good though be prepared for long time being served. We were never out before two hours.

The entertainment staff was great. Hi to Alexandia. She was so sweet and really loved her guest.
MaKayla (Spelling) Our Concierge was the best we ever had... My husband collects actual license plate from areas we travel and Mackayla went to a junk yard (not a good area) on her own time and bought us one. How nice was that!!!

Some things to know...
Make sure your hook latch on front door is pushed over as far as it goes when leaving your room. One night when returning we were locked out from this latch. It took a while for engineering to go thru our neighbors room, climb over the balconly and enter thur our sliding doors. All the while we were eaten up pretty badly.

When using your safe. Make sure you do not have anything within the 1st 2 inches of the safes door. This could clear your code and security will have to come and re-set.

They do have bug spray to use but I would also reccomend taking your own. There is a protected forest next door that I believe help with the breeding of these blood suckers. I don't see them getting any better in the future.

If you use Creme Rinse for your hair take your own. They do not supply it.

The road into the resort is really not that bad.

Some other things that happened to us.
Our airconditioner blew a fan motor at 10 at night and was terribly noisy. It took a while to have fixed as we were ready for bed..
Room service took about 1 1/2 to be delived. We were already asleep (11pm) when it arrived. We never had dinner that night.

You will have a great time I'm sure if you stay here. These little things that happen are rare and unfortunately happened to us.
Enjoy your trip.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Mosquitos
3 Thank darlsay
pennsylvania
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Went to mexico for the first time and stayed at Secrets Maroma. We got a great deal due to the Grand opening special on Cheap carribean.com. Olympus who is the company who transported us from the airport were very friendly and efficient. They got us where we needed to be on time and were very helpful and informative. Secrets Maroma is on a protected preserve of land...so the road in to the resort can not be paved and is full of holes. Very rocky ride into resort. Once in... the resort is beautiful. We were greeted with a cold towel and a choice of cold beverage. Check in was quick and everyone was very nice and helpful. We were shown to our room by a conceriege who also brought our bags.
We had a junior oceanview suite, which was pretty far from the ocean. The view was more of the resort and pool. The only full oceanview rooms seem to be in the two buildings right on the beach. Balcony was nice and private and comfortable. Bed was big and nice, jetted tub was huge and glorious! Shower was large enough for two, water pressure was fair. Double sink helps with getting ready together. Room was very comfortable and modestly decorated.
Food was good. They had the best breakfast buffet in the World Cafe every morning. Omelets, sausage, bacon, waffles, fruit, smoothies, mimosa's and so much ,more.
Ate at Portafino first night....good food...very dark...good service. Seaside grill was great and we absolutley loved Himitsu...ate there 2 nights in a row. Also utilized room service...which was always quick and friendly.
Service was really great. Everyone was very nice and friendly and always said hello.
Pools were warm and it was great just to use a floatie and float around/relax. Very good service pool side. Sometimes hard to get a poolside chair.
Hot Tubs, 2 on each side were cold.
Beach was beautiful. White sand, turquoise water, etc. Water was warm but very wavy and strong. Easy to get a chair on the beach and relax. Every afternoon a pack of dogs came to the beach to get scraps...they were cute but afraid to be petted. They frolicked and played on the side of the beach with eachother w/o a care in the world.
Would go back again and again. Sorry to have only stayed 4 days. Next time will get a swim-out suite because they looked really nice and private.
We were there during their rainy season , so the weather went from cloudy to rainy to sunny very quickly throughout the day. Will probably go back in more prime weather next time.
Also used the Spa services once, had a coupon for $40. So I got a 25 minute neck, shoulder, and back massage which is priced at $80 for $40. It was very nice and relaxing. Their Spa is gorgeous.
Heard maroma was overbooked because no one wanted to stay at Silversands.
Hope this review helps and I would really recommend.
Beach was absolutley gorgeous.

• Liked — Relaxing
  • Disliked — Wished view was better
6 Thank karma3x
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!