“50th Girls Birthday Bash” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
McLean, Virginia
“50th Girls Birthday Bash”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Secrets Maroma is amazing!!! The only resort that looked even better in person than online. The accommodations, staff, food, and facilities were top of the line! Would highly recommend--worth every penny. I definitely want to go back. Raphael at the pool was so very kind and helpful. My room was decorated with balloons--very sweet touch! Can't say enough good things about the resort. My favorite restaurants were Fusion, Oceana and the Steakhouse--but all restaurants had fantastic food--those were just my top preferences. The Manager at the Italian restaurant was over the top in friendliness and customer service. Never made it to the Japanese restaurant as there was no outside seating and we were coming back to 30 degree weather at home. The Spa was the most beautiful spa I had ever been to; however, they did not have any massage oils for sensitive skin which was a problem for me. Not a difficult thing for the resort to add. Go there!! You won't be sorry!! PS.

(We had a party of 4 and tipped the staff several dollars for each meal.) Don't miss the fire show or the tequila tasting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I assume we will see you again someday. When you are ready to come back, please don't hesitate to send me an email.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,325)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I went to Secrets for 3 nights 1st weekend of April. Last year I came to Secrets with my sister. I have twins and with the cold weather and crazy work schedule, we decided to take a quick getaway. We booked the least expensive room and were delighted with our partial ocean view room in building 12. A lot of people complained on here about the noise from the nightclub, but I never any problem hitting the hay. It was nice to be so close to the lobby and all of restaurants.

The only very minor issue I had was the slow hot water in the tub. I wanted to take a bath, and to have a warm bath, I had to only have the hot water running or it was cold. The tub took 45 mins or so to fill because it is so big. Not a huge issue because I took showers the rest of the trip which were great.

The pool and beach are so relaxing and perfectly manicured. Fabian, our beach concierge made our hibachi reservation and was so great and funny. We loved him! We had no problems getting a great spot at the pool every day- one day we didn't stroll down until 11:30. I didn't find there were obnoxious seat savers at all. The drink service was really great as well. I loved the really nice cushioned loungers and floats.

The food at the seaside restaurant for lunch was ok. It was my least favorite, and given the exceptional quality of the dinners, they could do better at lunch. However, Saturday, they did a parade of chefs around the pool where they kayaked out all kinds of sliders, sushi, empanadas, pizza, ice cream, and a bunch of other delish things. It was so much fun and so good! The other days they had paella by the pool. You really can just lay in you chair and get served.

The drinks were mostly great and I appreciate the top shelf liquor selections like Grey Goose and Kettle One. The piña coladas don't taste as good as they did last year- not sure if they changed the mix, but they weren't as creamy. Other drinks were great, and the included wines were really good.

My mom and I did the wine tasting by the pool- one white and one red, and Xavier, the sommelier was so great. He really explained the wines and what food would pair well. Although there weren't too many wines, it was still fun. We also did cocktail lessons at the swing bar while watching the final 4 which was a blast.

Mom and I hit up the spa twice- we got an after sun wrap, facial and massage. The massage was one of the best I've ever had- the facial and wrap were good but not as good as the massage. The hydrotherapy at the spa was awesome and so relaxing.

The food- I'm a total food snob and have typically been disappointed with AI food options. However- the dinners were all fabulous. We are Mexican and I got the sampler with shrimp, chorizo and flank steak. It was all so great. My mom got the pork, which was sweet and savory and awesome. We did the hibachi which was as good as any in the US. The last night was French- my favorite! We got foie gras, scallops and escargot appetizers that were amazing! My mom got lobster Thermidor and I got the duck. Both were so great. All of the dinners were like restaurants in the States where the menus were all different and very upscale. The lobby bar was also really fun- the espresso martini pulled me through a couple of evenings:). We did the cirque Affair show, and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I wasn't expecting it to be very good, and mom and I both really enjoyed ourselves.

Overall, I can't wait to go back! It was perfect. My suggestions would be- book a private transfer. I. Did this time but didn't last time, and I got the resort over an hour earlier because I didn't have to wait for the bis to fill up. We had a nice guy waiting for us in a Mercedes, which was a great way to start the trip! Do participate in some activities of you can- we only did a couple low key things, and it was really fun. Get espresso martinis and chocolate martinis from the lobby bar. Have Fabian book your spa appointments because it's so nice there. I would probably skip hibachi just because I can get the same thing at home and would have tried the Italian. The French and Mexican were top notch! Relax and have fun!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank MelissaSchopfer
Dear guest,

My favorite part of your review? When you say "I can't wait to go back" Thank you so much for that comment and when you are ready to come back, please send me an email.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Overview: Got Giardia infection from the resort (google it - it sucks) but it is really unfortunate because we were singing the praises the entire time we were there.

Summary - Club trip for over 30 people from a software company. Picked the location because of proximity, direct flights and quality you can get in Cancun. We sung the praises of this place while we were there and just about everything was perfect - food, drinks, grounds, beach, staff. A really great experience and our company thought about taking a much larger group down next year. We did not pay for our place but would have and talked about even coming back personally for weekends because we were so impressed.

Upon return, half of the party started feeling ill. Multiple people in the group never left the grounds. Most of the people were tested and came back positive for Giardia infection. If you don't know what it is, it is NOT simple "Traveller's diarrhea" - but a bacteria that grows inside you and lays eggs - it does not go away without serious drugs. In a resort that is this nice it comes from just lazy prep or cutting corners -that simple.

"other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play"....

Rooms - Stellar. The nicest we have seen in an all inclusive. We stayed in the suites in the main building and loved it. Try to stay in a number higher than 704 or you will be right over the disco - we were in 702 and it was not that bad since it shuts at 1 am.

Pools - tons of space to lay out and very cool layout with 4' deep pools and 1' laying ponds - very condusive to relaxing.

Food - 4/5 on the food. The buffet was great at lunch and dinner. We had the french (ok) but the italian was very good. We have been to a number of all inclusives (beaches, sandals, RIU) but this was the best.

Drinks - very high end for what you would expect. Only thing missing was single malt scotch but this is mexico. High end beer and spirits and the reserve wine list was surprising for mexico.

Overall, they need to ensure this place is not like a cruise line where the people get sick even though it is a nice place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank Matthew D
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review, however, I must point out we are a five star resort with a distinct H on health and food safety (wich is the highest honor a property that handles food may achieve) We do take pride of that and participate on many Helth Inspectioans by travel agencies and such. We also do a weekly kitchen tour for guests so everyone can see how neat we keep our restaurants.

Many people come to the area and don't realize the weather is very hot, humid , and of course in an All Inclusive property, where you have almost 10 restaurants, bars etc. You end up eating and drinking a lot more than usual.

I can not say where you got sick and I am very sorry you did. But is that was the case, believe us, we wouln't be in bussiness.

I would encourage you to send me an email and I will be happy to share all the health, safety and higiene records from all our past inspections.

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I went to a friend's wedding that was being held at the Secrets Maroma. I was staying at another resort. When I arrived, the front desk made me pay $100. "For what?" I asked. "To attend the wedding." Who ever heard of such a thing? It is outrageous. Even if there were a resort fee of $25 or something, I guess maybe I could understand that. But $100 when the couple already paid for the wedding?! Insanity. On the plus side, the wedding was beautiful and the setting was very nice. This is hardly about the money. It is about the principle.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
26 Thank Tennek
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review, however, I must point out an invitation to a wedding may be free as long as is not an All Inclusive Resort. $100 is what we charge for a day pass,wich is reasonable and same pricing with similar properties. All inclusive properties can not let non guests come in for free it doesn not matter why they come, it could be an event, a wedding , or just as a day pass. We have a property that has many bars and restaurants and you are welcome to consume in any of them. We feel the price is very reasonable compared to what you are getting.

We are suprised the bride and groom did not informed you or told you , you could come in to an All inclusive property free of charge.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is my 3rd time at this resort! I don't like seeing movies twice or going the same place twice but I LOVE THIS RESORT!! We have stayed in a jr suite the 1st time for our anniversary, then the honeymoon swim out as part of a couples getaway weekend, and recently the same swim out for my girls weekend. Service is awesome & so is the food!!
Each time I have gone to the spa & I love their service as well as the hydrotherapy circuit (I am a naturopathic physician)!
They even have the ability to change your pillows to an orthopedic type if you desire- this really helped my cousin-in law to sleep better!
Renting a cabana by the beach was awesome & so is the candlelight dinner or the beach & the himitsui hibachi table dinner!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank SeanandSamm P
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this review! And we appreciate even more since you are not the type of traveler that usually goes to the same place, on the other hand, when something makes you happy, why change it right?

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

The great: beach, beach cabanas, entire staff, service, rooms, pools, spa, massage service, breakfast buffet, Japanese Restaurant, mini bar in room, and the well kept hotel grounds.

The good: main bar/lounge area, Italian Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant, and after hours shows/events (fire dancers and March Madness viewing as examples).

The ok: the other dinner and lunch restaurants, the coffee shop, and the boring Sugar Reef bar.

The bad: time share/vacation package sales pitch for a VIP breakfast upon arrival (just say no this!), the pizza (worst I have ever had), and lack of a "party" spot in the day with loud music (very chill).

Overall, this place kills you with great service and friendly staff. Good for a honeymoon or anniversary. Would go back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul B
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and five star rating! In regards to the Bads:I will encourage you to send me an email next time you come back so we can note the system you do not wish to be invited to the sales presentations, as far as the pizza, I will send this comment to our chef.

Hope you come back very soon and when you do, please be sure to let me know.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

My company hosted a large group for a corporate outing and several of us got violently ill. I returned 5 days ago and my stomach still hasn't recovered. We brought 30 employees, about one-third were impacted, far too high a percentage in my opinion. One coworker was told that it was noro-virus as a result of contaminated food. I'm not sure how many customers got sick but illness stories are trickling in. We drank bottled water, and even brushed our teeth with bottled water. This is very unfortunate. The resort is beautiful, the beach is amazing, the service outstanding. If you're going, I'd recommend playing it safe, eat cooked foods only, avoid the fruit and salads, I ate a lot of produce and maybe they washed them in local water. Before we all got sick, we were impressed with the food, it tasted better than what I've come to expect from an all-inclusive.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
13 Thank Rob R
Dear guest,

Thanl you so much for the review, and allow me to explain so you can dig a little deeper and find out what actually happened.

We have almost 1500 people that eat our food everyday (between guests and employees) we take pride on how we handle our food and have several people that make sure we meet the highest standars of food, safety and higiene.

People tend to eat and drink a lot more than what they do back home, also remeber the weather makes an impact on some people. If you eat and drink what you normally would, you should be fine. But please , remember what you had before you arrived, if you went on a tour or excursion, you may find the problem was something else.

I will encourage you to send me an email so I can send you records of our inpections and audits when it comes to this.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,946 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,851 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!