“Great time at Secrets Maroma”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orrville Ohio
“Great time at Secrets Maroma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed at secrets Maroma in November 2013.
What we liked:
The restaurants - we ate at all the restaurants during our week stay. The food at each of the restaurants lived up to expectations. We did not have a bad experience at any of them during our week long visit. Our only tip would be to make a reservation for the Hibachi restaurant early in your stay.
The rooms. - we found them to have everything we wanted during our stay.
The Pools - we did not have any issue getting pool chairs any day during our stay,
The entertainment - this was one of the best parts of the resort. The Entertainment team was around and working the resort the whole time of our stay.
The beach - the water was ok…we are used to the more action of the waves of the Cancun strip..but the beach area was nice.

Overall we had a great visit to Secrets Maroma.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ZipsnBucks
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and for giving us a five star rating! I'm sure your comments will be very helpful to other travelers.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,377)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My boyfriend & I just got back from a 5 day trip to Secrets Maroma... I literally cried when we had to leave. We had the BEST time.

Everything about the hotel is impressive- the service is IMPECCABLE, the grounds (pool, room, beach, restaurant, everything) are GORGEOUS, the food & drinks were GREAT (especially the most amazing breakfast spread we have ever seen- you could not think of one thing they don't have), the variety of activities were unbelievable & so much fun (we played tennis, basketball, pool volleyball, yoga in the morning, archery, dance lessons, billiards, ping pong & mini golf), and the entertainment was really impressive- this place really goes all out. We went to a fire show our first night & I was expecting it to be lame, but it was actually REALLY impressive- same goes for the magician they had one night.

There was really never any need to leave the resort, but we did one day to go see the Mayan Ruins @ Tulum & snorkel with sea turtles (booked through apple vacations- had Ara as our guide- definitely recommend- so much fun!).

Both my boyfriend & I have stayed at a few places in Mexico (e.g. Cancun, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta), and have travelled extensively (all over the U.S. & Europe, China, Philippines, Caribbean, Brazil), but were still VERY impressed by this place. I had never done an all-inclusive; but after this experience, I would DEFINITELY do it again- it makes the vacation so easy & relaxing- with no reservations necessary at any of the 7 specialty restaurants, it was so nice to just walk up to whatever we had a taste for that night & not have to figure out plans, travel, etc. The lack of stress from doing that is worth the extra money alone... but also knowing that you're safe eating/drinking everything from this place & don't have to worry about getting sick.

One note- the website & this site do NOT do the place justice in terms of pictures... it is GORGEOUS and so well-maintained. Not to mention the water is Caribbean-blue, the sand is so soft & clean, and there is a plethora of beach / pool chairs to lay on that are VERY comfortable- we especially liked the little cabana beds- great for naps!

Finally, have to give a shout-out to some of our favorite staff- Raul for being such a good server and "Manny from the moon" & Jordan for making the activities so much fun.

If you're thinking about where to stay in Playa del Carmen, do not hesitate- book this place- it is PHENOMENAL & will not disappoint. Oh! Order the "mango tango" at the pool! YUM! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in building 21 & had a swim out room. It was perfect for us- quiet & right near th...
5 Thank Lauren B
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I'm sure people will enjoy reading it as much as did. My favorite part was when you metioned you will be coming back! I will love to help you do it, please keep my contact information.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This review is very delayed as we stayed at the end of April 2013 but better late than never!

We returned to SMB after our initial trip in June 2011- this was our first time returning to the same place twice and it did not disappoint!

Secrets Maroma is a great place to escape to- not only is the beach amazing and the grounds beautiful but the service is always the best.

The year before we went to Turks and Caicos and stayed in Grace Bay at a beautiful resort but found ourselves comparing it to Secrets all the time.

This time around, I found us utilizing the beach a lot more than the first time- we rented the beach cabanas a few times and loved them. It is great to have both the sun and shade and the personal service is great.

The restaurants at dinner time were always full of so many choices and the food was great. My favorite restaurants were the Italian and Mexican restaurants.

The breakfast buffet has a ton of options and who doesn't love a mimosa/bloody Mary station?

You must take out the hobie on the water- it will give you a great view of the resort.

We did a couples massage this time around and thought it was a great experience- Make sure to get there an hour before to utilize the sauna and hydrotherapy pools.

The only areas of improvement I would say is for the lunch time options- the sit down restaurant has your best choices- the buffet sometimes lacks the best choices.

Also, the AC can be a little tricky- it will shut off on you at night and you will make up sweating. Google how to program the thermostat before you go so you can keep it to the temp you prefer.

However, these items are small when compared to how amazing this place this. We just recently booked our third trip to return in May and we can not wait!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Samantha T
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for visiting us again, it is almost time for you to come to Secrets Maroma Beach, I appreciate your comment about the lunch options, remeber that guests have everyday 2 buffets, 1 a la carte lunch restaurant and room service. I will be happy to hear from you when is time to return!

CHERRY HILL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Secrets Maroma Beach is perfect ! Secluded, classy nice guests and mostly the friendliest staff I ever experienced. We went for the preferred club Jr. suite, the location was ocean view with a nice perspective of the pool and property. All of the staff was super pleasant, friendly and super personable. We traveled to Secrets St James in Jamaica last year and while the party was better there Maroma was much classier. The World Cafe was superb as was the Italian Rest. There is plenty of food and drink selections all day and night, plus room service.(we did not use).
Its worth the difference to go preferred the special check in and out plus top shelf liquor is superb.

Now here are the Buts.....
I don't understand the wine charges, for example a $14 bottle of Santa Margherita Pino was $90 to buy. Please help me to understand how you can include top shelf liquor but the only wines included were not good, and then to gouge for bottles?

Secondly and my biggest complaint is the Unlimited Vacation Club, let me start by saying that I am in sales and have been very successfully for over 35 years. If UVC is related to Apple and AM resorts they should be ashamed of the tactics,lies and half truths. I guess a sucker is born every minute so the fact of selling "AIR" is very profitable and HIGH COMMISSION.
I was very amused while enjoying lunch at the World Cafe which is located next to the boiler room for UVC, I would watch the slicksters salesmen walking the potential victims in and out. Now here is the deal, they claim to be rewarding you for your loyalty, (by the way we love Secrets and will return) If you buy the plan for whatever "deal" you think you are getting.
You are pre-paying for the "discount".
When my supermarket asks me to join the loyalty program I get a card and they get my info and then I get the discounts, period. I am sure that if you travel 4 or more times a year you might see some savings after a few years before long. Don't believe me just type in Google Unlimited Vacation Club complaints. Buyer Beware !!!!!

10 Thank mleotta1
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your preference and support choosing SMB to spend your vacations.

I am glad to know that you experienced a great time in México and you enjoyed our restaurants and service.

We have a variety of excellent house wines: four red wines, three white wines and one rose wine. Of course depending of your taste you can chose between these and the other options we have for sale.

Regarding the UVC, we are deeply sorry for the impression caused to you, I already passed your comments and opinions to the people in charge of the UVC operation.

We will love to have again the opportunity to serve you and improve the image you have of SMB and our company in general. We wish to have that pleasure in the future.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Minneola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This resort is fantastic. We normally don't do all-inclusive but would definitely return here. The room was beautiful and well attended. The restaurants were much better than your average all-inclusive. Pool is set up so there are many chairs poolside. Best of all, the service was outstanding. Everyone is very intent on making sure you have everything you desire. Don't miss the poolside BBQ every afternoon and if you want a romantic dinner and don't want to eat on the beach, request dinner in the wine cave. It has only one table. Look for Lucy & Lydia at the Lobby Bar. They will make you feel like family!

Room Tip: Spring for the perferred club rooms if you can. Private check-in & out. Separate lounge with bar...
2 Thank Cynthia H
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and for giving us a five star rating , we truly appreciate your comments and look forward having you back soon!

Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I went here and got a beach/ocean view room. Everything was perfect and just paradise from the minute we walked into this gem. You must go if you are a couple especially for a honeymoon. Just the best relaxing and upscale place to go. I had no complaints and would not change a thing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jess T
Dear guest,

What a wonderful review! My favorite part? That you will not change a thing.
I really hope we have the chance to host you again soon.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were looking at this resort for 2 years before we finally decided to go this January and it is worth every penny. We booked a swim up lagoon room that was just beautiful!! Our concierge, Fabiola was so helpful, helping us book the japenese restaurant, beach dinner, she even brought us bubble wrap for our souvenirs!!

When we first arrived, after the front desk, we met with Tiia, she was amazing. She offered us the AM resorts membership overview the next morning and we got a free dinner on the beach. I've read a lot of bad reviews on this but I can say that our experience was evry positive (nothing to do with all this time share stuff)

The food at this resort was just amazing!! 5 stars!! we loved each and every single meal and the service was incredible! And that goes for all 7 restaurants. I wish we could have visited the kitchens because the job these chefs/servers/etc are doing is fantastic!

The drink selection was really good, mixed drinks as well, I particularly love the Bahama Mamas there!! Carlos from the Sugar Reef bar was providing amazing service!

The best part of this vacation was the entertainement team!! There is always an activity planned, beach and pool volleyball was sooooo fun and the shows at night were very entertaining! Special thanks to The Ferminator, Sasquash, The Mexican Chocolate, Paulina, Manni, Alfredo and Jordan, you really made us feel like family :) <3 I hope we can see you guys soon again!!

I highly recommend this resort to everyone, this is the best resort we've been to so far and the staff is amazing!!!! you really deserve the 5 diamonds qualification!!

6 Thank Olivia E
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and give us a five star rating. We appreciate your comments and we will be happy to have you soon with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,096 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,006 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!