“Really good, but not amaaaazing”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had been highly recommended Secrets Maroma by a friend and reading many of the reviews, it seemed like a good choice and it was.

The pool area was really nice, however as it was peak season, my 11am all the lounges were taken so many people missed out.

We felt that the service in general was a bit fake and pushy and often just too over the top. More suited to a US traveller who is used to and expects to be 'serviced'. Many of the staff didn't use their intuition and common sense to just leave us to enjoy the surroundings, but wanted to quiz us - where we were from and just chat. They seemed a bit bored. Then others on the flip side were run off their feet, such as those working breakfast buffet, as orders for tea and water would be taken and more often than not, forgotten.

Unlimited food and drink was a good proposition, however some of the restaurant menus were rather limiting and repetitive, so moving around the restaurants was not the novelty we'd hoped for.

Generally speaking, I feel that the concept of ALL inclusive, no kids, by the beach with a pool and some activities is a great idea and just what you'd want as a young couple.

Overall, we did relax and eat much too much, but I'm not sure I'd go again.

Room Tip: one on the ground floor that has it's own lounge chain on the deck
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elskiw
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate the opportunity you gave us choosing SMB between all the available options.

I am very sorry if you did not receive the service you deserve. We work every day directed to a high quality service and to make our guest feel at home in a luxury and romantic environment.

About your comments, I already shared them with all my team. We take our client's opinions and suggestions as an opportunity to improve.

We will love to have another chance to serve you if you consider us again.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,606)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Just returned after spending New Years at Secrets Maroma and can't rate it highly enough. We regularly travel and this was one of the best hotels yet. The rooms are to a high standard and have everything you could ever need we opted for the swim up room and it was well worth it. I normally avoid all inclusive as I am a bit fussy but this was nothing like your average all inclusive there was a really good choice of restaurants and all our meals were fantastic. There is lots to do if u want to and the entertainment team were excellent they kept my husband busy with sports so I could relax by the pool. The staff were friendly and service was 5 star. Overall a really fantastic place can see why it's so popular for honeymoons. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Lou758
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear guest,

I'm glad we've changed your perspective about all inclusive! We thank you for your review and can't wait to have you back.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a 7-day stay at Secrets. It is an excellent resort and they do all they can to make you feel extremely welcome. Very attentive staff and, although I'm in my 60's, the entertainment team still managed to make sure we were catered to and had fun. We stayed at the Preferred Club level but I'm not sure that's necessary as the normal run of the resort offers almost the same high standards and quality. The beach is exceptional and we enjoyed long walks on the pristine white sand, the sea is also warm and safe to swim in. We had a Junior Preferred Swim-Out Suite, but would not book this again. I never saw anyone use the "swim-out" facility. I would most definitely go for an upper floor view suite in the future. The restaurants are some of the best I have seen at a Mexican resort and the food quality is 5-Star. We fell in love with the French Bordeaux restaurant with the seafood restaurant Oceana coming a close second. The buffet, which we used for breakfast, is expansive and very relaxing. One little "secret" is the Coco Café, which is like a Starbucks on steroids! Exceptional hand crafted coffees and decadent deserts or ice cream specials. My only disappointment was the lack of TV channel choice or a pay-per-view film channel, we had a couple of rainy days and this would have been a great relaxation benefit. As this is an "adults only" resort, it is a very relaxing place. We have 7 children, 9 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild, so we love kids dearly, but to experience the lack of kids for a week was quite a treat. No demands on us, just the ability to share a precious week together. The resort caters to adults from 20's to 90's, so there is something for everyone. I nearly forgot, don't miss the spa, its a 5-star treat that is well worth a visit. Overall, this place shines and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you want to take your partner somewhere "special", then this is a place to consider. it is very romantic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went to Secrets just about a year ago after a reccomendation from family. With the help of Mike from "Dream Makers Vacation Services" I was able to put together one of the best trips I have ever experienced. We arrived to an excellent staff and facility who showed us to a beautiful room. Myself and my girlfriend like to spend alot of time on the beach, so fo us the quality of the beach was super important. This was the nicest beach I have had the privelage to go to. The water was clear and calm and there was no seaweed. Throughout the day the staff would come by and ask if we needed anything and made sure we were happy. At night there were some activities, but not to many allowing you to contiunue to relax if you wanted to. The food was excellent and the staff at the various resturaunts treated us great. Overall it was a great experience and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Timothy H

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! I truly hope after the way I see you felt that you will visit us soon.

Keep my contact information and please send me an email when you are ready to return.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at SMB from the 21st of Dec 2013 to the 1st of Jan 2014 and we had a great time. The People who worked there are really really nice. The food is very good. The resort is exceptional from the liquors (top shelf) and the service on the beach (beach manager especially by the bar). Really it was one of the best all inclusive's that we have stayed at in our family history (25 years of vacationing in the caribbean). However and this is not the resorts fault but...

The garbage (plastic) on the beach, in the water, on the surface floating and on the bottom of the water as you walk, getting caught on your foot or hand is disgusting. I spoke to two managers there and it doesn't seem as though there is a plan there to deal with this. The people that live and work around the hotel area dump in the ocean and on some days it is overwhelming as the tide changes. You can not swim 10 ft without stepping on or running into a bottle, plastic bag or a floating cap. If they do not educate the local businesses and public to stop dumping or it will be a problem for customers to return there. Bit in any case they MUST have a person in the water scooping up the garbage as it enters the roped area. We pay a lot of money to enjoy the beach and to see this angers me. It is really sad to see the beautiful water infected with all that crap...

Other then that its a great place...
David

Room Tip: all rooms were excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank david L

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this review and for giving us a five star rating! We are aware of the debris people from other areas leave behind and we are working hard so it doesn't affect our guests.

We look forward seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We returned a few weeks ago from our trip to Secrets Maroma Beach (SMB) and already look forward to returning for a third time. First, we need to thank Michael at “Dream Makers Vacation Services." We now use their services exclusively and have referred them to our friends and family. It's no extra charge, they do all he legwork, communication is awesome, and they really care about your vacation. You won't regret using their services. As for us, we are seasoned travelers. We have done all-inclusive before this trip ( Sandals (St. Lucia) and Couples (Jamaica)) had an awesome time at both, but stll enjoy Secrets better. The trip - The airport was a 30 minute ride, all highway, on a private transfer and the resort is about a mile from the road. We were greeted at the door and told "welcome home" from the staff. We had a Preferred Ocean View Jr. Suite and were golf carted to a private lounge for check-in. I would recommend the preferred suites because you get a private lounge with bar, snacks, unlimited wifi in your room and 24 hour room service.. You also get some additional goodies in the room daily (snacks, drinks). The room was great. Very large, clean and comfortable. The view was awesome. We were on the 4th floor in bldg. 26. We also had a bottle of champagne on ice in our room when we arrived. The food was great. We were happy with the alcohol selection. There is never a shortage of drink options. Service was awesome. Room was always clean, room service was super, and wait staff/concierge were terrific. The best part - Beach. It's perfect. White sand and not a rock to be found in the water or out of it. There were plenty of seats, and always a waitress to bring drinks. The only negative is having to leave. We hope to return very soon. All and all, the trip was amazing. Thanks again to “Dream Makers Vacation Services” and the Secrets staff for making this trip amazing."read less

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank billyh32

Dear guest,

I can only hope you will contact me for your third visit to Secrets Maroma Beach. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and for recommending the preferred suites to other travelers.

Looking forward for that third time with us!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The staff here is second to none. Not only were they professional and efficient; they were always smiling and genuinely seemed happy to be there. I dont know how they did it! From our "Welcome Home" greeting by the bellman and front desk to the pool staff graciously offering to take our bags to our room when we couldnt bear to leave the pool area to go finish our check in (there was a wine tasting and Bingo to attend and we arrived 3 hrs early).
The food was very good vs excellent except Himitsu the Asian Fusion place, (we did not do the hibachi seating) it was scrumptious (sushi, chicken with peanut sauce, wonton dessert). We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Breakfast buffet and Oceana were worth the visit too. Bloody Marys need some revamping :-)
The grounds are meticulous and the rooms were very luxurious and spotless. The pools were fabulous and the beach....ah perfection.
Say no from the beginning to the Timeshare presentation and they will respect your wish to not be bothered about it.
The spa was beautiful, skip the hydro stuff unless you really like that and be sure to take a waterfall shower after your massage.
The only thing I would recommend is another bar somewhere maybe closer to Oceana as the pool bar closes at 6 it would have been nice to have a drink before our Oceana dinner and listen to the waves. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: We were in building 12 closer to the buffet and checkin area which we liked. Some ppl might have wan...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Suzanne K

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and the five star rating! We appreciate your comments on the bar hours. We look forward seeing you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!