“Not your normal All Inclusive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“Not your normal All Inclusive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We recently returned from a 10 day break at the Maroma and all I can say is that it’s a shame it finished.
We went with Virgin and were very impressed with the flight especially the in-flight entertainment, there was a choice of 64 films that were accessible independently with the ability to pause/rewind/fast forward at will and this made a long flight more than bearable.
Arriving at the hotel, as we had booked Preferred Club, we were escorted to the Preferred Lounge and given a glass of champagne and booked -in in a very civilised manner after the long journey. I found the word civilised came up several times during our stay – as I titled my report, this is not a normal all inclusive hotel !
When we were then taken to our room we were pleased to see that an e-mail before the trip to say that my wife was having a birthday there was obviously taken note of as the 4 poster bed was decorated with balloons and a Happy Birthday banner.
The room was very comfortable with a large spa bath in the room and another on the balcony. As we were in the Preferred section the block was nearer to the beach but all of the blocks are arranged in a semicircle around the pools and gardens and it’s no distance from any of them to the beach.
We split our time between the beach and pool and were served with drinks at each together with the occasional cold flannel brought around by the waitresses. The sun bed/beach towel arrangements were fab with a fresh rolled up towel on every bed both around the pools and on the beach every morning with an ample supply of freshly laundered towels available at the beach when you needed to change one – none of the normal swapping a pool card every time you required a fresh towel, we found this to be a great.
All of the restaurants were very good with the possible exception of the Italian where we found the lighting to be far too “romantic” – they were so dim that the waiters all carried small torches to enable you to read the menu. We also found the food here not so good as all the other restaurants and when you couldn’t see what you were eating it somewhat spoiled the meal. All of the Al a Cartes could be used without a booking needing to be made, you merely needed to arrive and put the name on the list and if there was a wait, a pager was provided so you just went for a drink until your place was ready.
The choice of drinks in all the bars was very good with lots of international brands and the Preferred Club lounge had even more. The only criticism I can make of the Preferred lounge was that the air con was sometimes set too cool.
The staff were absolutely brilliant and always seemed to have a ready Ola whenever you met any of them and all of them could not do enough for you – a real thankyou to all of them.
We didn’t participate in the entertainment but there was something going on all day and all evening and from what we saw it all looked good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank keefLondon
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear guest,

I believe you emailed me to let me know you were celebrating your wife's birthday! I am so glad the room was decorated, that must of been a nice surprise for her. We want to thank you for giving us a five star rating and recommending our resort to other travelers.

We very much look forward having the chance to serve you again in the future! Perhaps this time for your birthday?

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,334)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rancho Mirage, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Great place but they are very strict with the pool rules and will harass you all day if you don't obey and unlike my experience in other resorts around here don't necessarily see you as the customer??? Watch for Fabian at the pool a bit of a jerk

• Stayed December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Patbianchi61
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear guest,

I am very sorry if you felt our policies as "very strict", we only look for the confort of all our guest not reserving chairs for more than 30 minutes. This policy has served us for years and is never our intention to bother or generate uncomfortable moments.

Fabian is a good employee, and is always mentioned. I apologize in his name if you didn't feel a good service from him.

I hope you could give us another chance.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a truly excellent hotel. I stayed there for 10 days with my 3 sons (all grown-up, this is an adults only resort). I chose somewhere special as it's probably the last time we will all have a holiday with just the 4 of us and it did not disappoint. The food is remarkably good in all the restaurants with plenty of choice and no booking ahead. At busy times you may have to wait a bit, but we had no problems the whole holiday by going in around 7 - 7.30. One of my sons is vegan and they could not have been more helpful in accommodating him. The rooms and public areas are very clean, spacious and comfortable. What makes the hotel so special though is the staff; very friendly, polite and efficient. I was also very impressed by the quality of their English; it's not just sufficient, it was conversational. The restaurant and pool staff will happily chat to you. Be aware only that the Spa is very expensive, otherwise pretty well everything else is included. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had 2 junior suites, tropical view, very pleased with them and very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris D
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for submitting your review and give us a five star rating! I am happy you were able to accomodate your sons dietary needs. There is a point I would like to clear up. In regards to the Spa , our prices per services are the same as other resorts in the area of the same category, besides, you can use cupons towards services so that is a big plus. If you ever decide to come back, I will highly encourage you to send me an email with any questions, concerns or special requests.

Look forawrd serving you again in the near future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Well worth the money would definitely visit again. My husband fell and broke his leg but we still had a fantastic time.

The views and food are to die for.
The entertainment and actives were excellent.

Room Tip: Ask the Hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel T
Dear guest,

I am so sorry about your husband's leg and hope it has healed! We thank you for taking the time to submit a review about our resort and give us a five star rating.

We look forward seeing you again and please keep my email , if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesistae on sending me an email.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic holiay for a week in November. The bedroom was very clean and a decent size. The large bed is the best I have ever slept in. The resort is very clean and well maintained. The beach is good (I have seen better in Antigua) however there is a stretch of beach between hotels that is littered with rubbish (why dont the hotels organise a clean up between them - to clean up this mess) and at one end where there is unfinished apartments there is a bit of a smell. The food is good generally, with a decent selection as you would expect, although the food at the evening restauarants is average (you cannot a book a time for your meal and can have a long wait), the food lacks the wow factor which I was expecting, on most occassions the main dish lacks sauce or if there is not enough. The Asain restaurant was the best by far. The service is always good. I would say it's mainly couples who go to this resort. The evening entertainment was okay 6 out of 10 perhaps, but for some reason 99% of the music is heavy metal. I like all types of music, but a bit of variety would be great and would be more in line with catering for all couples who are probably there for a romantic break. I think the Entertainment Manager needs to review the music and the type of client they are catering for. If I was assured they had changed the music or band then I would possibly go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Luv_Camogli
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen us.

I am very sorry for not having met your expectations regarding the food. I already passed all your comments to our executive chef in order to consider your opinion and take action. Same about your opinion regarding the music to our Entertainment manager.

I am glad that you consider our service always good and consistent.

We hope you can give us another oportunity to serve you in the future.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I hadn't been on a vacation without the kids (5ys, 3yrs, 1yr) in four years. This trip was exactly what we needed! Time to relax, regroup, rest, play, etc. The entertainment staff was excellent. Lots of activities going on all the time, if that's what you feel like. We participated in beach volleyball, tennis clinic, batting practice, trampoline/flip thing, tug-of-war, etc. Then other times we just lounged at the beach or by the pool. There is tasty food everywhere, great pool service food/beverages, snacks available. The restaurants were amazing! French, Italian, Asian, of course Mexican...casual or more romantic, whatever you're in the mood for. So many choices at the buffet for breakfast- LOVED the made-to-order crepe station, omelet station and juice station! And of course the 24hr room service was a nice touch too! We saw a fire show, a cirque show, two movies in the theatre. I'm dreaming of our next trip....hopefully we don't have to wait another four years!

Room Tip: Building #12 was adjacent to the main building, most of the restaurants, the night club, the theatre...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TaraGarr
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear guest,

It is so nice you were able to come and enjoy your vacation for the first time in an adults only resort! We appreciate you taking the the time to write a review and want to thank you for giving us a five star rating.

Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you are looking for beautiful beach and ocean, this is your resort. Staff was very friendly and helpful, food was above average for all inclusive resort, rooms well apointed and kept very clean. I would recommend Maroma to all my friends. Just a tip, don't pay extra for the privet club,you do not get any real extras for the extra price. Go there you'll love it.

Room Tip: We stayed in bldg. 17. All rooms in this bldg. are great.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank impy14
Dear guest,

We thank you for recommending our resort to other travelers, on regards to your preferred status, I regret you did not take advantage of everything the club has to offer. I hope you will give the opportunity to serve you again in the future and if there is anything I can help you with, please be sure to let me know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,967 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,871 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!