“A perfect honeymoon after 55 years”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 23, 2013

When first married, we couldn’t afford a romantic getaway type of honeymoon. But as the years went by we began to travel and have had many wonderful trips..having been to Europe, Scandinavia, South America, Hawaii and all the Caribbean Islands. But this past November, for the first time, we experienced an all inclusive resort..Secrets Maroma. We celebrated our 55th anniversary there and it couldn’t have been any better. Everyone there, including the bellman, knew what we were celebrating and they made our special day unforgettable. The resort is beautiful, the beach is one of the most beautiful in all of Mexico and the food was wonderful. One day the chefs, all wearing their toques, paraded single file to the pool and one even got into a kayak to hand delivered snacks to the people in the pool. If I were, after all these years, to pick a perfect place for a honeymoon this would be it.

2  Thank westie8213
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear guest,

We are so happy you've decided to have your honeymoon here with us! Like they said, good things come to those who wait, I'm sure having your honeymoon after 55 years of marriage felt really good. I hope you decide to come back home again, this time for your anniversary!

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,730)

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I struggled between giving 4 and 5 stars (would give a 4.5 if I could). For the most part our 3-night stay was wonderful, but not quite perfect.

We arrived on a VERY rainy day, so much so that the road to resort flooded and was impassable by our taxi. We had to wait at the end of the road for 15 minutes while they sent an SUV out to pick us up. I noticed this was mentioned in previous reviews as well - they should really consider repairing the road already!

When we finally made it to check-in, we were greeted with glasses of champagne and chocolate chip cookies. Two of my favorite things. Things are looking up now! The room was beautiful and had a great view of the resort and partial ocean view. The stocked mini fridge was great.

We took out a Hobie cat at no charge, which was so fun, but they only allow you to take it out for 30 minutes. Sort of a bummer. Lounging around the pool and at the beach was great. Very well-kept, music playing, and constant drink service. The lunch buffet was great for snacking too (hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, fruit, etc.). Maybe I was just starving, but the cheeseburger was freaking delicious. Probably my favorite part was the parade of chefs that came through the pool area in the early afternoon, with endless trays and carts of food... tacos, tortas, sushi, ice cream, fresh coconuts filled with booze or water, paella. That was some of the best food we had during our stay!

We didn't visit many of the restaurants, as we ordered room service the first night (which was so-so), and had dinner at the wedding we were there to attend the last night. We did do one dinner at the French restaurant. Most items were tasty, but my entree (Veal Chop) was not good. My favorite meal is breakfast, so for me, the breakfast buffet at World Cafe was heaven! I enjoyed everything, but I couldn't get enough of the build-your-own chilaquiles, breakfast enchiladas, and french toast. Yum.

The level of service throughout the resort was absolutely top-notch.

Unfortunately, something along the way didn't agree with me, and I fell very ill our second night there. Violently ill. I felt okay the next morning and decided to try going to breakfast. About halfway through my meal, I became extremely and very obviously ill again and had to stagger out of the cafe. The staff must have remembered the room number I gave them, because once back in my room I received at least two phone calls from the staff asking if I was okay. I told them I would be fine, but mentioned I thought I must have food poisoning. They didn't question or bat an eye at my food poisoning claim - I wonder if they get that a lot. They sent several bottles of Gatorade and packs of saltines to the room though, which was nice.

Lots of wildlife on the grounds to observe! The (what I'm guessing were) iguanas lounging on the pool rocks in the morning were fun to look at. The tejónes were pretty neat as well (part of the raccoon family), at times we found ourselves surrounded by a dozen or more! They may be considered a nuisance, just like raccoons, but they are cute. :)

The wedding we attended at the resort was absolutely gorgeous. The ceremony down by the water and the poolside reception were perfect (at least from a guest's perspective!). Any bride and groom would be lucky to have their celebration here.

I think I would come back here, although this was our first all-inclusive experience, so if we did it again I wouldn't mind trying some other places. Overall, I do recommend it!

Room Tip: "Preferred Club" rooms get you closer to the ocean.
6  Thank Jennifer M
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear guest,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with other travelers. and also, I appreciate that you have chosen Secrets Maroma Beach

Thank you very much for the high punctuation you gave us, I am very sure all your comments are fair and assure you that all the staff at SMB is always looking for the excellence and high quality service by the improvement and continuos training.

There are many places to visit but we will love to have you back in this your second home.

Warm regards,

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Secrets Maroma Beach

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I travelled with my new wife to Mexico and had the privilege of staying at Secrets Maroma Beach from 5th - 20th November for our first taste of an all inclusive resort and apart from the mozzies (not down to the hotel, i saw them fumigating the grounds most nights) it was the perfect hotel.
We had a normal suite (which we though was amazing) in block 14 and were looked after by the building concierge Antonio who was brilliant and couldn't do enough for us. The room was cleaned twice a day, and the mini bar always refilled.
The breakfast at the World Cafe has to be seen to believed, there is everything you can think of and i loved a fresh smoothie and crepe everyday. We also at at all of the 7 restaurants; the Italian, Mexican and Asian (everyone must try the teppanyaki table once) were our favourites, but the only bad meal we had was at the World Cafe (at night i must make clear).
The beach is amazing and the hotel have employees cleaning seaweed from the sand throughout the day. The sand doesn't get hot under foot and the waiters never miss a beat bringing plenty of drinks.
There are 2 main pools along with several jacuzzis scattered either side and i didn't find any of them cold. Again the service for drinks and food is impeccable.
We also used the Spa and rented a beach bed for one day.
There's nightly entertainment with some amazing shows and some not so great comedians, but give them all a try because even if the entertainment doesn't suit your taste, the Excelente Entertainment team will make sure you have a great time.
The entertainment team - Alfredo (Harry Potter), Paulina, Fermin (The Ferminator), Asmara, Odette, Yanni, Fernando (sasquash), Guillermo (Big Willy) and Manuel (Manny from the moon) work insane hours nut do a brilliant job of running activities all throughout the day. With all the laughs they really made our honeymoon and we can't thank them enough.
If anyone has any questions i'll be happy to help.

4  Thank Tom C
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff at Secrets Maroma Beach, I want to thank you for writting this wonderful review! It is very nice to see Antonio provided excelent service and you enjoyed our Entertainment Team as well as the restaurants, spa, pool and beach area. I also want to thank you for recomending this resort to other travelers!

Please keep my email on your records for any future requests.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

this resort is everything that you have read from all the other resort reviews this place is beyond anything you could imagine, the service is beyond helpful thoughtful every staff member will look you in the eye and say hello, the food was out of this world the beach was amazing we have been to many many resorts over the years in the Caribbean but this place was over the top.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
4  Thank maddogcrabs

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting this wonderful review! We appreciate your comments are thrilled to see our people made the difference. We truly hope to see you back home soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have been to numerous all-inclusives and this was by far the best! The service was impeccable and the shows were comparable to those in Vegas. The employees are beyond accommodating and made our honeymoon magical. A special shout out to the employees who made our stay beyond compare - Darwin (Italian Restaurant), Alberto (Asian Restaurant), Pablo (Steak House), Pablo (Asian Restaurant), and of course our concierge, Roger. If you are looking for a resort that will leave you feeling pampered and relaxed, this is the one for you! I will most definitely revisit this resort again and again and again!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a Preferred Club Room. The perks are awesome!
2  Thank Allison F

Dear Allison,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review, for remembering the names of those who made you feel at home and for saying you will return again, again and again!

look forward having you home again soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Returned from Secrets Maroma on 30th October having stayed there for 14 nights. The evening entertainment was probably the best we have seen at an all inclusive resort. We have been to Riviera Maya on four occasions and this beat all the others hands down. However we stayed for 14 nights and the shows repeated on the second week of our holiday.All the shows were very professional and we saw a hypnotist act, a comedian and 'beatles tribute' in the nightclub... all extremely good.
We were a group of nine people and we experienced problems when it came to eating in the evening. At Secrets hotels you cannot book the restaurants in advance so we found that it was a problem for us to get a table. The restaurants are geared to couples or a maximum of four to a table. We found we were having to get ready early, present ourselves at a restaurant and then the wait would be about 1-1 1/2 hrs. Even then, we were sometimes split into tables of 2 or 3! We spoke to our concierge and said that we were supposed to be 'on holiday' and could not go walking from one restaurant to another every evening in order to get a meal. (There is no buffet in the evening as back up). He was really helpful and arranged with the restaurant manager to make us bookings for the remaining duration of our holiday. However we did have to eat between 6.30 and latest booking of 7.30 which normally on holiday is too early for us.
During our stay there were a couple of themed evenings with outside buffets (german beer festival and bar-b-que). These were very good and there was no need for the men to wear long trousers.
The beach was fantastic and the drinks service was excellent. All the staff at this hotel were fantastic. They could not do enough for you and were really friendly.
One big problem for us was the mosquitoes. Hopefully they have gone by now. We were covered in mosquito bites in spite of covering ourselves in insect repellent. This is obviously no reflection on the hotel but it would put us off travelling to Mexico in October again.My husband was extemely uncomfortable with all the bites. Our concierge had the room sprayed several times for us but you couldn't actually see the mozzies and bites just used to appear on a daily basis.
We stayed in a tropical view room which was absolutely fine. This isn't a huge resort and since we were with friends we knew we would not be spending a great deal if time in the room so didn't see the necessity for a sea view etc. The room was very comfortable with a good shower, coffee making facilites, a nice balcony and everything you would need. It was kept lovely and clean.
One thing I would like to say is that at the weekends the hotel gets very busy and can be extremely loud in the main bar area.
We went to Xplore for the day and would thoroughly recommend this .. it was great fun.
Overall this is a lovely hotel and the staff were brilliant. The food in all the restaurants was very good and drinks were top notch. Just a couple of glitches as mentioned above but we had a great holiday and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank barryandsue

I appreciate you have chosen Secrets Maroma Beach to spend your vacations

We are taking note of your comments and suggestions in order to work on them and keep moving forward to the excellence.

Thank you very much for consider our staff as brilliant and our hotel as lovely. I am very sure you will conserve all the beautiful memories you experienced here for years.

We will love to have you back.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Secrets Maroma Beach

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my second time doing an all-inclusive in the Riviera Maya but my first time at Secrets Maroma Beach. It was the first all-inclusive experience for my fiancé. I went into the trip with high expectations since the resort was highly recommended by my travel agent and has won numerous awards. My experience, however, was not a positive one. We stayed from November 9th to 16th and traveled in a group of 8 (4 couples).

Before arriving on November 9th, I had emailed the e-concierge and arranged for a special romantic dinner on the beach where I was planning on proposing to my girlfriend. The e-concierge was not particularly helpful and even changed the cost ($50 more) of the dinner but he did help me to arrange for a chef to come out at the end of the meal and write the words “Will You Marry Me” onto the plate. I was assured that this was confirmed and in the system and that I would not need to worry about it again. This turned out to be a big nightmare. More on that later.

The trip started out negatively immediately after registration. We were anxious to get to our rooms and enjoy the beach. But instead we were forced into an intro pitch for a timeshare presentation (they called it a membership). The resort made this APPEAR to be a required part of the registration but in fact it was not. We were shuffled from one person to the next and made to fill out forms with our ages and occupations, etc. This was very shifty and made to feel like part of the registration. It was only later that we realized that the actual registration was only the first 2-3 minutes and we were forced to listen to what turned out to be a lying salesman for an hour before getting to our rooms.

In addition, the resort had erroneously thought it was our anniversary. This was particularly awkward because my girlfriend and I were NOT married or engaged and there had been some tension over that fact between us for some time now. So to have the resort staff repeatedly congratulate us on our anniversary was a continued annoyance which occurred repeatedly over the first three days until they finally had it straightened out. I grew quite tired of explaining to staff that it was NOT our anniversary.

The salesman at registration told us that if we sat through a 40 minute presentation during breakfast the next morning that we could get the romantic dinner on the beach for free. He said it was no obligation and if we were not interested after breakfast that we could still get the dinner for free. Unfortunately we fell for this trap. The next morning we went to the breakfast with one of the other couples in our group. What we were told would be a 40 minute breakfast became a 3 hour nightmare where we were passed off from one salesman to the next and made to fill out forms where we provided the same information over and over again. When we were told the timeshare would cost $70,000 and I objected, the salesman insulted me by saying it was not a lot of money and I should be able to afford it. It was all a giant scam. And in the end, I WAS NOT given a free dinner on the beach. It wasn’t until I went into the lobby and began yelling at the staff that they finally conceded and gave us the free dinner on the beach. And then they told me that the dinner I had booked in advance could not be made free and I’d have to have a different type of food.

That night I decided to check with my building concierge (his name was Carlos and he was the savior of this trip! He was excellent!) to make sure that the resort still had the information for the romantic dinner. He said there was no notes in the system for anything about a proposal during dessert. It was infuriating because the e-concierge had told me explicitly that it was taken care of and there was nothing I needed to do once I got to the resort. So I setup the details (again) with Carlos and he assured me that he would take care of everything.

Sunday night I got a call from the front lobby telling me the dinner was canceled. I asked why and she said because of bad weather. I told her the weather forecast looked beautiful for Monday night (which was when the dinner was scheduled) and she told me that the dinner was scheduled for Sunday. After I argued with her for a while she finally admitted that she had her days confused and that I was correct, that the dinner was scheduled for Monday, and that it was NOT cancelled. What a PAIN!

The dinner was scheduled for Monday. That morning the resort lost power and it remained off for 12 hours. During this time we had no idea when power would be restored. It was also clear that the restaurants had no power because all of the lunch was being prepared outdoors on grills. As we sat on the beach we both worried about what would happen with the dinner and if it would need to be rescheduled. Thank god for Carlos. Carlos searched for me throughout the resort and found me on the beach at about 4pm. He signaled for me to come over without alerting my girlfriend and told me he was making sure everything would go as planned and that the power would not affect the dinner. He also said he’d be staying late to make sure everything went well. And, thanks to Carlos, it did. It was the first good moment we had at the resort and I truly do thank Carlos for making it happen. Because up to that point the resort had done just about everything they could to ruin the plans.

Tuesday morning I received a call from the sales people again telling me to come to the lobby to receive two free shirts as a thank you for sitting through the presentation. I said no and we went to breakfast. Mostly because I just wanted to get over that whole fiasco and enjoy the vacation. After breakfast we went back to the room to get ready for the beach and the same salesman called again. I told him to just send the shirts to the room. He said he COIULDN’T send the shirts to the room. Thankfully I was smarter this time and just told him I didn’t want the shirts and I never had to see him again for the rest of the trip. I’m sure if I had gone down there he just would have pitched me more timeshares.

The resort also has a completely ridiculous coupon system. Upon arrival we were given a coupon booklet for various services at the hotel. We were promised $400 in coupons and only given $200 in coupons, but that didn’t really matter because they were stupid anyway. This is a five diamond resort, and I was given a coupon booklet to carry around with me… And yes you had to carry it around because coupons could not be used retroactively. You had to use them at the time you bought things. It really cheapened the entire experience. Their restaurants are five star restaurants. You’d enjoy a fantastic meal with great service. You’d be pressured into buying wine as an extra charge. And then after the meal you are stuck filling out coupons in triplicate and signing paperwork to pay for the wine. It just wasn’t the type of high end experience I’d expect at a five star restaurant inside a five diamond resort. I wouldn’t even expect that at a high end restaurant in the states.

On the subject of wine, there were some problems here. We are not wine snobs, but the all-inclusive wine was terrible and only offered by the glass. To receive a bottle of wine required you to pay an up-charge. And at every restaurant you were pressured by the staff to purchase a bottle of wine. It got tiring saying no over and over. Some of the couples in our group were on their 8th or 9th all-inclusive trip and had been to plenty of resorts where bottle service was included at no charge.

Drink consistency was also a problem. It became quickly apparent which bars offered great drinks, good drinks, and decent drinks. Again this is not typical to most all-inclusive resorts where they will rotate bartenders and have rigid standards on consistency. But at this resort you had to know what sort of drinks to order based on what bar was making it. The worst case was when I asked for a Margarita. This is not a complicated drink. When ordered at the lobby it was one of the best I had ever had. From the pool bar and beach bar it was completely undrinkable. My fiancé ordered Malibu and Coke for most of the week and on several occasions she was given something entirely different than Malibu. So it’s not as if we were asking for anything overly fancy.

The food at the restaurants was extremely good. At first I felt the service was a little slow but as the week went on I came to enjoy the slow and relaxed pace of the meals. On average a dinner took approximately 2.5 hours to complete. That was nice as a patron but terrible in terms of getting seated. The dinner service is between 6pm and 10pm. Unless you get to the restaurant before 6:30, expect an hour long wait. This is because A) all of the restaurants are very tiny and B) the dinners take so long because of the relaxed pace of the service. Also, we were in a group of eight and were told on the first day that the restaurants all will only seat tables as big as six. So if you are traveling in a group, be aware of this. Carlos (our concierge) was able to make special arrangements for us to get tables of eight as long as we ate dinner at either 6pm or 9pm and gave him one day of notice. That being said, one of the restaurants that Carlos arranged for us to eat at did not have the proper reservation. It appears there were some communication issues on the resort’s end. After a brief argument with the head waiter we were able to be seated anyway.

The evening entertainment was great. We saw a comedy show, a rock cover band, a fire show, and a sexy cirque show. Unfortunately for the performers of the fire show, there were some pretty bad sound problems and the music was coming and going and playing at bad volumes. We started to feel a bit uncomfortable for the performers because you could tell it was throwing them off.

We were in a junior swim up suite. I recommend this upgrade as it is really convenient having the pool right outside your room. But I will caution you to BE CAREFUL. The floors in the rooms are completely tile with no carpet. They get incredibly slick and slippery with even the slightest bit of water. My fiancé fell one of the days and hurt herself as well as breaking our camera. After that we were in a constant battle with the maid laying down beach towels on the floor so we wouldn’t slip and the maid removing the towels every day. Also, it was VERY DIFFICULT to get and keep clean pool towels in the room. The shower towels were much smaller than the beach and pool towels. So we would either bring them back to the room our self or ask the concierge to bring some. But every day the maid would remove the clean pool towels and we’d have to go get them again before going into the pool. It was a pain in a room that has its own pool not to have any pool towels every day.

We didn’t have the best of weather but of course I do not fault the resort for that in any way. That being said, the resort did lose power for 12 hours without any explanation to the guests as to why (it wasn’t raining at the time) and without any form of compensation. Even a free bottle of wine would have been nice.

Our minibar was NEVER restocked. By the end of the week it had no more beer and all of the soda that my fiancé liked was gone. And towards the end of the trip the maid staff stopped replacing the water bottles in the room. I had to call room service to get water delivered.

Additionally, our sink and toilet leaked. There was always a puddle of water on the floor near the toilet which was disgusting. On the last day of the trip, the ceiling above the toilet begin to drip water from what I presume was a leaking toilet on the floor above me.

In terms of service problems, on occasional I would ask for a drink or food item and simply never get it. This happened on the beach, in the pool, and in the theater. You would ask for a drink and the waiter would just never come back with it. This was a problem at the restaurants as well. As the Italian restaurant I ordered meals for both myself and my fiancé. I very clearly said we would each be having the Minestrone soup. Instead it was delivered only to me and she was given no soup. In the Mexican restaurant I asked for empanadas with beef and specifically requested no shark meat (which was listed on the menu). Instead we were given empanadas with ONLY shark meat.

Overall, my fiancé and I did have a good time but it was not because of the resort – it was in spite of the resort. The resort is gorgeous and the food is excellent. And overall the staff is extremely courteous, polite, and helpful. But I think there are some major fundamental problems for a resort of this caliber. There are issues with the dishonestly surrounding the sales presentation, the tactics of the sales presentation, the coupon system, the drink consistency, sales tactics on upgrades, scheduling issues, and little problems here and there which all detract from what I’d consider to be a premier experience. If I was going to a Holiday Inn I’d expect a standard experience. But I didn’t go to a Holiday Inn. I spent $4200 and went to the highest rated all-inclusive five diamond resort in Mexico. There are certain expectations that go along with that and the resort fell very very short of them.

We will not be going back to Secrets Maroma Beach or any of the other sister resorts under the AMStar umbrella. We were told several times by representatives of AMStar that Secrets Maroma Beach was one of their premier resorts. After experiencing it firsthand, I’m content to say that it’s not an experience I want to repeat.

Room Tip: We did the junior suite swim up with was great. It was nice having the pool for rainy days so we cou...
23  Thank MichaelMankus
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!