“Restaurants”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 22, 2013

These areas require that men wear long pants. I don't disagree, however, the areas were way too warm to sit and eat in comfort. The restaurants at the pool area were much nicer and shorts were allowed. This was the only area of the resort I found less desirable. I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The reviews are TRUE! This place is insane for an all inclusive! Even after reading the amazing reviews I was still impressed. The French and Italian restaurants were to die for!!!!!! And the hibachi was also delicious! When you go to the Italian restaurant do not leave without getting the creme brulee! It is amazing!!!! We stayed for 10 days and went back to portofino numerous times. The service everywhere was above and beyond!!!! We would go back every year if we could. The staff was so accommodating-I dont think we filled our ice bucket once because their was ALWAYS someone there ready to help saying "It will be my pleasure" to any and every request. We never had any problems with ANYTHING other than the weather which obviously cannot be avoided. But even in bad whether the staff does everything they can to help you have a good time. One day we sat down at the bar while waiting for the restaurants to open and the bartender started pouring us three colorful shots and got out the janga game and my husband and I played for shots.
We really enjoyed the kitchen tour as well as the organized beach volleyball by the ocean.
We also LOVED the rooms. We stayed in an ocean view room with a tub on the balconi and sat in it every night with a bottle of wine while it rained. On the last day there we switched to a swim out room just to change it up a little bit and loved that room too. Every room has a whirlpool tub in it as well. The air conditioning was the perfect temp and we never had any problems with it.
This resort also has top shelf liquor..grey goose...johnny walker black and red!
The pool area is great! So many chairs and two pools to choose from.
My only advice would be to use bug spray! I brought it and never used it because I truly NEVER saw a bug....however, something was getting me because the last couple days I was itching like crazy.
I could stay at this resort forever! I miss it like crazy!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IowaLeanna
Reviewed October 21, 2013

It's my first time that I made a comment on TripAvisor. I went to the Secrets Maroma Resort with my mom from 7 October to 14 October 2013, tocelebrate my 40th anniversary. All was absolutely amazing. This is simply a paradise. I went to another Secrets Resort in 2011 and I can tell you that the Maroma one is one step closer to the absolute perfection. There is a
great variety of food and the quality is fantastic. The service is impeccable all around the resort. The temperature was sunny and hot (only one day on rain then we went relax at the beautiful spa). The environment is very clean and the garden luxuriant. Our concierge was Sandra and she
did everything to exceed our expectations. The entertainment team is amazing especially funny FERMINATOR , lovely JESUS BANANA , attentive Fernando (SASQUASCH) and cutie PAULINA ! We miss them so much. I received the best service at the beach from Mr. Jorge. We recommend this place to all our friends and we’ll come back as soon as possible!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Isabelle P
Reviewed October 21, 2013

There is so much already accurately reviewed for SMB, I will try to avoid the redundant details, but I will share from our perpective of a mid-30's married couple looking for a quiet 5 day get-away from the kids. Here are few insights:

CHECK-IN: If I were to give one aspect of our experience less than 5 stars, it would be this. I had read many reviews so I came in armed with knowledge - but they still managed to get me seated at a desk with one of the time-share reps. It didn't take me but 5 minutes to see where the conversation was headed, so I politely interrupted him, told him our answer would be no, tipped him for his time, and went about our way. I did speak to several frustrated guests who did give up 3 hours of their vacation to sit in the presentation, only to say no in the end.

ROOMS/FACILITIES: Beautiful grounds - as the time went on we discovered the architectural strategy behind the resort - the are so many beautiful angles and views down by the pools/beach. Especially if you get there early before the crowds. Never had a problem getting a beach or pool chair, although the prime locations go fast. If you are at the pool by 8:30AM you won't have a problem getting any chair you want. We enjoyed a couples massage at the spa - expensive but very well done. The beach is beautiful - if you walk off the property to the south you can see how much work must be done to keep the SMB beachfront in such pristine condition.

FOOD: Very good - we half-expected to feel like gluttons during our stay, but portions were conservative (which left room for dessert!). We never at the lunch or dinner buffet - there were too many good restaurants to try. We ate at Himitsu twice and enjoyed it both times. Even if you don't sit at the Hibachi table you can see the show from the dining room. We don't drink much so I can't tell you if the liquor was top shelf or not.

STAFF: By far, this is what sets the place apart from other places we've stayed. The staff works tirelessly throughout the day - always with a genuine good attitude ready to serve. Jorge, at the beach is a fine example of this. He was being ordered around like a slave by a fairly rude group at the beach - yet he did everything they asked with no complaints, and no tips from the group. I called him over and gave him a tip just because I saw him working so hard.

MISCELLANEOUS: As middle-aged parents looking for some R & R, we never did stay out late enough for the entertainment, but I hear it is excellent. We were able to turn in early almost every night and the noise was never an issue (We were in building 24). The mosquitoes were not much of an issue, but again we weren't out much after dark. The resort vouchers are a bit of a waste with so many stipulations you'd be hard pressed to find a way to use them all. We had $400 worth of "credits" but probably would have had to spend almost $1500 on services just to use them all.

TIPS: Unless you want to sit for 3 hours, politely excuse yourself from the VIP presentation. If you eat dinner early you'll get right in and if you get to the pool early you'll have your pick of the chairs. The unlimited connectivity cell phone app didn't always work. If you want room-service, just call it in. Free phone calls to the US (cell or landline) from your room phone is great.

There is something for everyone here. If you want to party, meet a lot of people, stay busy, you can certainly do it. If you are like us and want to quietly relax, get lots of rest, and pretty much keep to yourselves you can succeed in that too.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor give you the views. Building 24 allows you to be away from the noise and closer to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cramer07
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went in May 2012. Request a top floor room, the view is better. We did not bother with the swimout rooms. They looked neat for about 30 minutes.

Several different restaurants and we tried most of them. Chef's night was probably our favorite where they had the head chef (I think?) make some really neat stuff for a reservation-required dinner. The italian place was probably the weakest of them but still it wasn't bad at all. Room service was great!

We rented a car which worked out awesome. This resort is about 15 minutes north of PDC. There were taxis available but it would've cost a lot getting back and forth.

Room Tip: Top floor or go home!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The first thing I want to say is I would like to thank Antonio, the personal concierge on the 14th corridor. He was INCREDIBLE!!! He was so nice to us, did things that we did not ask for and went above and beyond his call of duty. He was amazing, any resort would be lucky to have him and the story he told me about being away from his family touched me. Unfortunately when we were going to tip him and thank him for everything he was on vacation. I would like to ask one of the staff members to personally thank him from Doron and Mary from London or to give me a contact email address i can thank him from please!! He gave us a fan and mosquito spray for our room, and we really wanted to repay him but he was not there unfortunately :(

First of all, this was the greatest place I have ever been too and I loved it thoroughly, however I want too get the few tiny bad things off my chest first (sorry for the negative start) Anyway, we had a loooong 10 hour flight from London, the road into the hotel was horrible and we were dying from the flight. The first day we obviously could not tip anybody for room service and bell boy because we had not even unpacked and had no change but they kind of made us feel a bit awkward about it.

The room service took forever to make even for a mug of tea and orange juice, and they got our orders wrong twice. But it was okay because i suppose they would be very busy not a major problem really, could have been language barrier.

The world cafe we went to dinner one night, and the food was barely cooked through.The steak was literally bleeding.

The french and italian restaurant were way too dark to eat in

Last thing, i suppose being from England we are not used to majority of Americans but we did find them very very loud, but to be honest it does not matter.

ANYWAY... there is too much great things about this restaurant. The food was amazing, especially the seafood, steakhouse and himitsu (the chef is amazing!!) The entertainent team are amazing aswell, and work very hard and are so nice. The beach is incredible, drinks are incredible, the staff are brilliant. Mosquitos are quite annoying but they do everything to help you out (Antonio even gave us a fan and spray, he was such a great guy) unfortunately i could not get a good night sleep the whole 2 weeks i was there i did not sleep properly because of the mosquitoes but he did everything to help me.

We felt like kings and we loved every minute of this resort. it was brilliant. the activities, drinks, food, staff were great. Again I want to personally thank Antonio for being such a great guy, and also the entertainment staff (Jesus Banana and Sasquatch :D)

I will definately be back!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dorondj
Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you like a great room,perfect beach,outstanding service,awesome food,premium drinks,and two beautiful pools then look no further.We've been to 7 resort's in mexico and punta cana and Secret's was the best.No complaint's what so ever.The staff is the best,they go above and beyond .Our concierge Roger was wonderful,shout out to Noodles,Fernando,and Fabio.Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same,top floor gets an ocean view.rent a beach cabana for $40.well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bpontine
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of all Secrets Resorts I would like to thank you for your loyalty, confidence and support.

Thank you very much also for having taken the time to share your experience at Secrets Maroma Beach with other travelers.

We hope to see you very soon back home.

Rafael Cordova

#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!