“Amazing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Plainfield, Illinois
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

everything was great A+++ came from a property in Puerto Morelos (i wanted to head home after that stay) which was a top choice over there and this blows them out of the water by far. From our concierge Roberto A++++ and our pool guy Jorge A+++ this was our honeymoon and was so glad to experience how I should experience mexico ....BEST BEACH !!!!!! We upgraded to ocean front and was well worth it ... rooms were beautiful ... plenty of entertainment they have activities all day long and leave a list in your very cool room service mailbox daily(you don't even have to answer the door for your food)....will be returning to this A+ resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to serve you and be part of your honeymoon memories.

Roberto and Jorge as many others, are excellent professionals of the service and always happy to assist you.

I am very glad you experienced a wonderful stay in this paradise.

Looking forward to host you in the near future.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,475)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I made our third trip to Secrets Maroma over Labor Day. This was our third to SMB and our sixth to Secrets resort. I didn't post on the first two trips but wanted to tell anyone considering this resort to go for it! I won't write about all the ends and outs because so many people do but wanted to thank the resort and staff for another wonderful stay. We have never found a issue with SMB and recommend the resort to everyone looking for a great AI. Keep up the great work! A special shout out to Balbina who always remembers us, Freddie at the World Cafe and our Concierge Fabiola! Miss everyone and look forward to our next trip!!!

Room Tip: We love building 24 it's right next to the Preferred Lounge!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wagsanpurrs
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your beautiful words.
We love to have repeat guest as loyal as you are.

I am very glad that you experience a great time with us again. Our staff is always happy to assist you in any opportunity.

Looking forward to your 4th visit to SMB.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I just recently saw a news report that claimed a majority of online reviews are false/fake, written by people hired to write reviews. This is extremely troubling for an avid traveler, but nothing surprises me anymore. I only mention this in the hopes of assuring you that if you are reading this review it is 100% genuine. That being said....

I visited Secrets Maroma for my honeymoon in September of 2013. I have never experienced an all-inclusive resort before and unfortunely I may have ruined all future trips. This place is ridiculous. From the check-in to the check-out were treated better than anywhere else I have experienced. We arrived about 5 hours early before check-in and were fully expecting to relax by the pool until our room was ready, however a mere 30 minutes after the check-in process was completed we were in our room and ready to start the week. The room was perfect. We decided against having a swim up pool outside the room and took a second floor suite. The hotel service was awesome. Our personal conceirge, Fabiola, was absolutely the best. Anything we needed she was right there, which was amazing considering that it seemed everyone had the same thing to say. My birthday was during our honeymoon and she helped my wife set up a private gazebo on the beach. Fabiola then rounded up about 10 other staff members and came over to sing 'feliz cumpleaños' with cake and drinks. It was hilarious and awesome. And even when we locked our keys in the safe and could not enter the room we had to wait no more than 5 minutes. If you can request a conceirge I recommend her.

Once we left the room I don't think we saw one member of the staff without a smile on their face. Every person we encountered for the week was friendly and hilarious. We had a steady routine of beach in the early afternoon, which allowed us to meet Ana who was a sweetheart. That girl worked her butt off. She always greeted us a with a water and a Modelo. We would then work our way over to poolside for the food that would make it's way around. The food was delicious and a perfect snack to hold you over till dinner.

If you remove the restaurants from Maroma and place them in your hometown they would be considered fine dining. Any of the meals we had throughout the week would easily have been $100+ dinners, and as a member of the middle class $100 dinners are not always affordable. So to have 6 nights of high quality meals was very enjoyable. Our favorites were the Italian and hibachi restaurant. Also the breakfast buffet had everything you could think of. We usually do not wake up early enough for breakfast on vacation, but we made a point to make it each morning.

The only off resort traveling we did was to Xplor, which was a reasonable half hour away. They had zip-lining, ATV riding, and underground cave swimming. It was a really good time. I had never been zip lining before and had a blast. If you are looking for something to do off resort, but do not feel like traveling for hours I recommend this.

The best part of the week had to be the entertainment. The entertainment staff was some of the hardest working people on the planet. They would be up partying till 1 am and then you would see them at it again on the way to breasfast the next morning. Everyday was full of activities you could take part in if you wanted. My wife loved the blackjack in the pool. We both enjoyed beach volleyball. All afternoon all you heard was the one staff member, Noodles, screaming the next activity. Noodles was the man. After we got showered and ate dinner we would usually have a drink at the lobby bar, where Johnny would make sure we were ready for the rest of the night. The main entertainment was always interesting. Something different every night. Alfredo did a great job hosting all the events. Also Asmara was a great addition to the group. Always smiling. We would end the night at the dance club and every member of the staff would be there getting the crowd going. We had the same waitress each night, Erika, she was a sweetheart. If you are a goofball couple like we are you'll enjoy everything they offer in the way of entertainment.

Overall it was everything we both expected for our honeymoom. The main people we encountered throughout the week (Fabiano, Noodles, Ana, Alfredo, Erika, Johnny) couldn't of been better. The whole place just makes ya feel at home. If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Mike

Room Tip: People seemed to enjoy the swim up pool outside the rooms on the first floor, however they offered n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael O
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chose Secrets Maroma Beach for such an important occasion as your honeymoon. Second of all, I would like to thank you for clarify that all the coments are made by guest and not by people hired.

I am very glad that you had a honeymoon as special and romantic as you describe. I am sure you enjoyed the Happy birthday surprise by Fabiola!

Fabiola, Noodles, Alfredo, Asmara, Ana, Erika, Johny and all the staff members of SMB, we would like to congratulate you for your marriage..

This is your second home and we love to have you back to celebrate your firts anniversary together.

Naples, Italy
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Looking for a resort for your Destination Wedding, look no further than Secrets Resort, Maroma Beach, Playa Del Carmen!
We have just returned from 7 days at Secrets Resort and my daughter's Destination Wedding.
We were a party of 19 in total, married, singles, young and older and it could not have been
more perfect for each and everyone of us.
The resort had something for everyone, 7 restaurants, activities, relaxation, discos, spa, personal concierge who was amazing, pools, beach, tours, romantic evenings, couple beach beds.
My daughter was married on the beach at 5.30pm and the resort went out of its way and well over and above all of our expectations to make this the most incredible occasion imaginable.
Everything was perfect and Valeria our wedding planner was fantastic, nothing too much trouble, even going into town to buy a wooden box for the wedding rings!
The resort provided a Master of Ceremonies who made our evening reception incredible. The resort set up our reception on an island between the beach and infinity pool, it was so beautiful with fireworks and music. The food was incredible and the evening was a dream nothing too much for the staff who went it began to rain lightly, brought umbrellas round to cover the table and the party went on.
The staff at Secrets are amazing, everywhere we went they greeted you and could not have done more to satisfy our every wish. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Either a swim out or ocean view, but truly any room is a dream as each has its own jacuzzi bath, bal...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We appreciate your preference and support choosing and recommending Secrets Maroma Beach.

We know how important these occasions are in a person life, and we do all the best we could in order to create unforgettable memories in you and your family.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding and the family time in this beautiful paradise.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for a future vacation.

Valencia, Spain
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

After reading many reviews here on TA I decided to try secrets maroma, now being a former industry insider, I can safely say I have never encountered a more impressive group of people than the staff at secrets maroma, these folks work tirelessly and always have a smile on their face no matter what, the grounds and the hotel is beautiful, but the staff take the place over the top, without coming off as patronizing, I cannot say enough about the staff at SMB, the place has the ability to be many things to many people which is rare in a resort. You can have either a quiet romantic holiday or an active adventure filled romantic holiday, however knowing what I know about how resorts work and observing the staff, they are the difference that makes SMB what it is, I observed them interacting with other guest and the level of service delivered to each guest was consistently high and unwavering, It might seem that I am being generous with the staff but they are that good and I am a skeptic that is hard to impress.
Based on previous reviews customer service par excellence seems to be their status quo and one they definitely pride themselves in.
I will definitely return and recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Bahamain
Dear guest,

I am very greatful for your beautiful words regarding our staff and very proud if I can say it.

As you said the people works tirelessly and always have a smile on their face, this is because we are genuine and our passion is the service.

Create memories and provide a high level of quality and warmth are our goal.

Thank you so much for your nice ans honest review.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This review is very late, we stayed at Secrets Maroma for two weeks in March. This resort is absolutely fantastic, the restaurants are of an excellent standard, the staff are extremely efficient, friendly whilst being very professional. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
We stayed in a standard room which was very spacious, clean and well equipped. The staff soon worked out what we were using from the minibar and ensured it was refilled with plenty of our favourites.
The pool and beach area are immaculate, the staff work around the clock to ensure a very high standard. The beach really is as white as the photos. There were a number of wedding parties during our stay however they never had any impact on our relaxing holiday either during the daytime or at night when they were partying. The next morning you would never know there had been a reception, everything would be back to normal. There are lots of different areas to lay or sit in the sun whether you prefer a quiet area or to be amongst more lively holiday makers.
We dined at all of the restaurants and took part in all of the speciality evenings, I am very fussy with my food however I cannot find fault in any way. One of my favourite things was having a few cocktails in the lobby bar during the evening whilst waiting for a table at our chosen restaurant. I love to dress up for dinner in the evening and this hotel certainly lends itself to this however there isn't any pressure to do so if that's not your thing although thankfully they do have a dress code.
The coffee shop is really worth a mention, the coffee is of a high standard, the air con gives a welcome break and there is always something tasty to eat whether it be breakfast, lunch, high tea or supper.
Room service is excellent, we had a couple of lazy evenings taking advantage of the jacuzzi bath and having a relaxing meal in our bathrobes.......not for everyone but sometimes just nice not to dress up.
The animation team again are hard working and great fun, if you aren't interested they don't bother you however if you want to join in and have a bit of a laugh then they are very enthusiastic. The Elvis tribute really is worth a visit and Rock night is a blast.
The water sports on the beach are great, the gym gas everything you need and there are plenty of other free activities if you find it difficult to just lay in the sun.
The wifi was generally very good although would occasionally drop out which could be frustrating if you were relying on it for work but fine if you are just keeping in touch with friends or family (well making them jealous with fabulous photos of your holiday!!)
I can honestly say there isn't anything I would change about our holiday and we hope to go back again sometime in the future. I would certainly consider a March holiday again, hot sunshine, only one cloudy/rainy day and best of all no mozzies.
If you are considering a holiday here I strongly recommend. Enjoy>

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank highmaintenance71
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to host you during your vacations and be part of your memories.

I am glad that you experience a nice time and enjoyed your hollidays in this paradise.

The entertainment, restaurants service, bar, spa, front desk, concierge service and all the departments working at Secrets Maroma Beach would like to invite you to return and give us again the chance to serve you in the future. (Nest march).

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed 2nd week of October 2013. I will break down into catagories and try not to repeat what other reviewers have noted:

SERVICE - SMB best feature and best we have ever experienced anywhere. The maid stocked us well with bottled water and even left a new one by my nightstand each night when she saw I kept a bottle there! Now THAT is service!!

POOLS- There were two main pools. The one towards the ocean was quieter - has mostly older couples 40's and up (like us- we are 52 and 56 which I feel is important to know when reading a review). The larger main pool houses the swim-up bar and the entertainment activities, and was occupied mostly by 20-somethings on their honeymoons - mouch noisier. It was hard to get a lounge chair in the shade around the pools after noon. Water was perfect temp, and floats provided.

ROOM- Excellent. Very clean, all Gilchrist & Soames amenities provided including shower gel in extra large bottles, a sewing kit, shower cap, shoe shiner and a vanity pack. Bed was comfortable. We were on the 4th floor in Bldg. 15- nice partial ocean view. No problems with anything here. X-rated channel on TV was very fun indeed.

FOOD- This is fun for me as I love to eat out and have eaten all over the US and in Europe. Buffets and restaurants all excellent although somewhat bland. If you are looking for FRESH garlic and fresh herbs such as taragon, rosemary and thyme- you won't find it here. But everything was cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. We are from New England and eat out often - all ethnicities. I prefer more seasoned food but since they are trying to appeal to visitors from all over the world I can see why they cook this way. Also, fruit provided varied. We had strawberries the first day and not a single one after that during our 5 night stay. Finally- I asked for sour cream for room service with our meal, they brought a bowl of of liquid that looked like cream and tasted sour! Not sure what it was but they def. don't have American sour cream or I didn't know what to ask for! Pretty funny. Guacamole and their Pico de gallo were superb - yes there WAS fresh cilantro in there - made fresh and presented daily everywhere. SHRIMP- mostly the very teenie tiny canned shrimp. We did have a couple larger ones at a sit down lunch at Oceana one day - they were dry-- but don't expect any Jumbo shrimp here either. Finally, there was a bit of language difficulty with waiters in sit down restaurants if you don't speak Spanish- no worries - they try hard.

BEACH- Best I have ever been to- as they provided most all of the chaises under a thatched roof and INCLUDE little wood tables for your drinks. We stayed at Gansevoort in the Turks and Caicos and they didn't provide much shade or these little tables. Nice place to take a long walk. Watch for the cute sand crabs!!

ENTERTAINMENT- There is so much to do during the day such as Spanish or dancing lessons, water sports, beer sampling etc. all included. No boredom here. Night entertainment good as well.

LIQUOR- I saved the WORST for last. Drinks in general were not good. Frozen drinks overly sweet made with mass el cheapo mixers. They hide the Gray Goose under the counter - not on display- so if you want top shelf anything you must ask. It will be provided at no extra cost though. HOWEVER- the wines were pitiful at best. From Chili and Mexico mostly. I love a good oakey chardonnay or nice red- if you want that you must order by the bottle at $100 and up- but even their paid wine selection is limited. Maybe 2 California chards. Red wine list (paid bottles) was better. We ordered a Paul Hobbs Cab which was very good at $125. I ordered a Bloody Mary one day - worst in my life. No hot sauce, no horseradish, no real L & P Worcestershire and no celery. It tasted like salt water. If you love a good Bloody Mary like I do - please don't order one here. In fact garnishes other than a pineapple piece or melon are not provided. If you want lime - you must ask for it. Finally, for all you single malt Scotch lovers- out of luck. Best they offered was Johnny Black- couln't even order a better one unless you pay for the Preferred Club and go to that lounge which is in a separate area entirely. Soif you come to get drunk - yes you can. If you want quality not quantity- it is lacking.

All in all - we loved Secrets MB and would stay at a Secrets again. Maybe we'll bring our own wine next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!