“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
“Paradise”

10th - 24th September 2013

I'm writing this review from BA2202 going back to Gatwick, and I do so with a heavy heart! The Secrets Maroma beach was everything we could have wished for, and more besides!

Lets start with the CHECK IN - Very quickly and privately checked in, no waiting around for a main desk. We were then handed over to a lovely English woman called Tracy whom showed us maps of the resort and told us what we could expect from the Secrets Maroma beach (Tracy if you read this, we hope you had a fantastic trip home to England). The bellboy then took our bags to our room (room 2111) and gave us a mini guided tour of the facilities and also, once at our room, explained how everything worked!
We were so tired after our journey that we decided to order room service. The process was quick and easy and our food arrived within 30 minutes and was very good quality.

RESTAURANT'S
We didn't visit the Seafood or Steakhouses so we can't comment on those.
One thing about all of the restaurants was they looked after my wife, who is pregnant, very well ensuring all food was cooked thoroughly.

Himitsu - Tepinyaki show table - The show cooking was phenomenal, the skill the chefs use is brilliant. Food was very good and tasty, waiter service again, very good. We did have to book this restaurant a few days in advance but it wasn't an issue. I saw no problems with people wearing shorts (I was glad as I had packed no long trousers!)

Bordeaux - Again, very good food although portion sizes were a tad on the small side but if you want more, the waiter will order you 2 portions. The filet mignon was superb.

Portofino - The food in this restaurant was again, beautiful. You can go from steaks to pastas to pizzas and the waiter service was brilliant.

El Patio - The Mexican restaurant was on a similar quality to the others, great food and great service.

Buffet - We only ate at the buffet once as the quality of the other restaurants was superb and we felt like we were getting more for our money. I think it would therefore be unfair to give an opinion on the buffet restaurant.

ENTERTAINMENT TEAM - The entertainment team at Secrets Maroma are some of the best professionals I have come across. Sasquatch, Big Willy, Harry Potter, Manny, Noodles, Jesus Banana, Ferminator, Fanny, Paulinha, Odette and Asmara (hope I haven't missed anyone out) were all brilliant throughout our stay with things like beach volleyball, water volleyball, football (soccer to our American cousins). Always professional and friendly to boot, always had ice cold beer and water ready for the end of the activity. We didn't go to any of the shows so again, we can't comment on those.

POOLSIDE WAITERS AND CONCIERGE - The poolside staff couldn't have been more helpful, wether it was the concierge bringing you towels or the waiting staff refilling your drink every 15-20 minutes or so. Absolutely excellent all round.

POOL AND BEACH - The pool area was kept spotlessly clean and the pool was cleaned on numerous occasions. We didn't hear of anyone with any ear problems ( a big problem in our last 2 hotels). My only gripe was with a very small number of guests who ate their meals on a float in the pool and then left their dirty dishes on the poolside before going back to the swim up bar (this only happened on 1 occasion). The beach was absolutely superb. Soft white sand that you could actually walk on even after the sun had been baking it for hours. The sea weed was cleaned up early in the morning to leave a stunning vista. The sea was pretty rough, a red flag was waving for most of our trip (at the time there were 2 tropical storms in the area) but that didn't stop us from going in.
The poolside restaurants and grills were superb. The Barefoot grill offered burgers, nachos, chips (French fries) chicken wings etc. The world cafe offered a large choice on the lunch menu and you could always order food to your lounger from the waiters.

WEATHER - Nothing the hotel can do about the weather I'm afraid. Out of our 14 days, we had 4 of solid sunshine, the rest was a mix of cloud, sun and rain. There was only 1 day that we could not sit out because of the rain (it was Mexico's rainy season after all).

ROOM - We had a Junior Swim up in block 21 (room 2111). The room was fantastically appointed and the maid service was first class. The block concierge was so helpful with any of our needs. We accidentally left the do not disturb sign on one day and our room was not cleaned, however, a quick call to the concierge and our room was cleaned within the hour. The mini bar was well stocked everyday with Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Corona, Orange juice, water and sparkling water. We didn't use the swim up as much as we could have due to mosquito's, again, it is the rainy season so be prepared to use a repellant in your room and whenever you venture outside your room. The TV service was good, showed many different sports and movies. Unfortunately there was no English Premier League coverage but there were UEFA Champions League games on. Plenty of NFL, Baseball and South American Football.

Overall, we had a fantastic Honeymoon. We met some amazing people who will remain in contact with. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a luxurious relaxing holiday. The only reason that we have not booked up already for next year is that my wife is expecting our first child so we will not be able to return for a number of years but we will definitely be back.

8 Thank geordielee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,326)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I must say that this hotel is absolutely amazing and the perfect honeymoon destination!

The staff are so attentive and will do anything for you. I have never been somewhere with such friendly employees all of whom constantly have a smile on their face and will assist you in any way they can.

I note that a number of reviewers mention being constantly sold timeshares but we weren't approached at all.

When we arrived on 13 September we had quite bad weather and it rained quite a lot! But nevertheless there is so much to do and it was still so warm. The people that made our honeymoon were the entertainment team. Manny, Asmera, Odette, Alfredo, Sasquewatch and Fanny (to name a few) were amazing at keeping you entertained with so many activities to chose from. There was not a dull moment at all and they are a credit to the hotel. So positive and enthusiastic, encouraging you to just give something a go! I entered the secrets idol contest and actually came second winning myself a free 50 minute massage - which I must was fabulous. The spa facilities are outstanding and so relaxing.

The pool is gorgeous and all the pool side waiters are efficient and will get you just about any drink you you want. And if there's not enough alcohol in it...they'll happily top it up for you!!

The food was also excellent. I am not one for buffets, but I thought that the standard and selection of food on offer was diverse and tasty. We ate at the tepinyaki restaurant one night which was great. I would most certainly recommend the fillet mignon at the french restaurant - stunning! In fact, I don't think we had one average evening meal all holiday.

All in all my husband and I will will most definitely be returning in the near future. We would like to thank everyone at Secrets for creating the perfect honeymoon. Just amazing! :-) x

3 Thank Danielle F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had read some of the reviews before we arrived and had some reservations as to how it was going to be. But we can honestly say that overall we had a lovely time, the majority of the staff go out of their way to make your holiday something to remember special mention to Asmara on the entertainment staff. Have been to many Sandals and I think now that they need to move up a gear to stay on top. All the restaurants were lovely apart from the seafood which we tried twice just to make sure the first time was an exception but the second was just as bad. So overall the only negative is value for money as the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso where we have also stayed 20mins walk up the beach is better value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CaboISthePlace
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Staff was amazing, every single person went above and beyond to make sure my stay was not only pleasant, but that I had everything I needed to accomplish it. The food was incredible and the installations do not compare to other resorts I've stayed around Rivera Maya.

• Stayed September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just returned from yet another amazing vacation stay at Secrets Maroma Beach in September 2014. Ther resort hosted a fantastic wedding on the beach for us in September 2013 and we couldn't help but return to enjoy the beautiful resort for our first anniversary.I could expound on all the great services and amenities that we experienced on both trips, but many other travelers have penned that quite eloquently. Believe them and visit Maroma Beach.

I do want to draw attention to the general Secrets booking department which is extremely lacking in customer service and competence. My husband and I wanted to redeem the gracious offer of a free night that was part of our wedding package and contacted the general booking department well in advance of our planned vacation for reservations. The agent tentatively scheduled our stay, told us to email our free night voucher to a specific person in the booking group, and then mentioned the reservation would be completed after the free night was confirmed internally. The agent went on to say that their group would contact us at that point to complete the reservation. With one day left before the reservation was set to expire, we contacted the booking group to make sure things were going smoothly with our reservation and they assured us we needed to wait to be contacted.

The booking department never got in touch with us to complete the reservation and when we called on the day of it's expiration we were told that we would have to reschedule our stay and that there was no availability for our anniversary weekend. Not one of the agents or "managers" we spoke with after that point was apologetic for their ineptitude or lack of internal communication that caused our reservation to lapse.

I recommend booking the stay yourself. If we hadn't had the free night offer we definitely would not have entrusted reservations of our special anniversary weekend to the Secrets booking agents.

Room Tip: We've stayed in both a swim-out room and a regular ocean facing room on different sides of the m...
1 Thank JenM00
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

September 13 - September 20

Summary -
When a resort is rated as highly on trip advisor as Secrets Maroma Beach, and when a place is rated as a five star resort, I am going to come with some lofty expectations. Does Secrets Maroma Beach meet those expectations? Yes and No.

Pros -
The property is beautiful. The rooms are excellent, the pools are gorgeous, the grounds are meticulously kept, and the beach is beautiful.
The workers at the resort are great. They are friendly, accommodating, and seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. There is enough to do at the resort that we were never bored.
Breakfast was amazing - the omelets and crepes were delicious.
The Pools and the Beach are incredible. Jorge, the beach concierge really took care of us while we were there. Make sure you go visit him on the beach.

Cons -
This was my 25th wedding anniversary and we booked this trip about 6 months prior to arrival. We requested a room on the third or fourth floor and were told at booking that they would try but could not guarantee anything. When we arrived we quickly learned that it doesn't matter if you book 6 months or 6 hours prior to arrival, you get what they give you. We asked if anything could be done, but were given no options (other than to be upgraded to a swim out room, which we did not want). No one came to talk to us, no attempt to accommodate us, we were just told no. For a resort this highly rated I expected better customer service from upper management. Service from the day to day workers was great. Service from management didn't meet expectations.

The drinks are very watered down (especially at the outside bars). In fact there were many times where you couldn't even tell if there was anything in them. You needed to know exactly what to ask for in order to get quality drinks. After a few days we finally figured out that if you order a shot with your drink, you can pour the shot in yourself, and you at least had something in there. My wife and I are not heavy drinkers and we were not looking to get drunk, but for the price you pay, you deserve quality.

Other -
The food was good in most instances. Maybe we are picky eaters (I don't think so), but the food wasn't better than you would get at any good restaurant in the United States. The portions at many restaurants were small (my wife's entree at the Italian Restaurant was three cheese tortellini). Breakfast was our favorite meal of the day because of the omelets and crepes. We also enjoyed the asian and italian restaurants. The steak in the Seaside Grill left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: The swim out rooms look cool, but we rarely saw anyone using them. Those we did see using them were...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank buckinut33
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Thank you so much for making our honeymoon so perfect.

Everything about this hotel is amazing.

The staff are so attentive, the resort is so clean and the food is so delicious.

Every good review is completely deserved!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,949 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,857 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!