“Hotel delivered despite 10 days of tropical storms”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach 8th September 2013 to 19th September 2013.
There are so many reports about this hotel, the rooms, restaurants etc that I cannot add anything more to what has been already been extensively critiqued.
I therefore am reporting on our experience at this hotel during 10 days of a tropical storm.
I would love to be able to comment on that lovely crystal clear blue sea and white sand unfortunately the whole of our stay was blighted by two tropical storms and the hurricane over in Acapulco. Consequently we had torrential rain and the sea was very rough with nine foot waves and was tinged yellow with swirling sand. However throughout the whole period the staff at Secrets Maroma never stopped smiling.
The gardeners worked hard to cut down broken palms and the mini army of workers (dressed in oilskins and wet weather gear that must have come off some deep sea trawler) that swept tirelessly to brush the rain away from the main building steps - during the day and night. Always smiling and saying Ola.
I particularly felt for the unseen heros in the laundry as several times a day guests would get towels and sit by the pool hoping for some sight of the absent sun but boy was it humid, and then the heavy rain and high winds came in. About an hour later if we were lucky everyone would repeat the process again out by the pool.
After ten days we and many quests were able to gauge the time between spying the big black cloud and the storm! But throughout this the staff were happy and cheerful although these storms impacting on their increased workload.
A special mention to the bar tenders down at Tortuga Bar - they made a few of us diehards (American and Brits alike) not to be defeated by the conditions on most afternoons. During many of the down pours we all went in the sea to swim in the huge waves ,the guys at Tortuga welcomed us back to the bar with warm towels, unordered bowls of chips, burgers and some amazing special drinks. Thankyou guys - you made our afternoons very special.
I dont normally go for the guest participation entertainment offered at resorts but after a week I joined daily in the pool volley ball and the friendliness and welcome from Fermin, Fanny, Jesus etc made me realise perhaps I have missed out with my British reserve here.
We had a swim out room which was our saviour on some of the down pours.
Unfortunately on one night the room two from us decided to have a very noisy room and pool party when the Desires night club closed at 1.30am which carried on to after 3.30 am. We did politely ask them to keep the noise down as did other neighbouring quests but to no avail.
We mentioned this in passing to Christina our concierge who was most concerned and said the Hotel does not welcome this and advised that should it be repeated another night to call the front desk who would act accordingly. It was good that the hotel took this problem seriously as neighbouring guests to the party goers had a very disturbed nights sleep which is not welcome.
Not many hotels would be consistent in their high level of service be it on the beach, bars and restaurants during such conditions. Secrets Maroma did not compromise in any areas and I am so grateful we selected this hotel.

4  Thank poppyflower668

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Spent a week here with my family and loved every minute of it. The pool area is huge, great for lounging and relaxing. All of the restaurants were great. The hibachi dinner was the best though. The chef puts on a great show and the food is top notch.

Even with beautiful rooms, pool, and beach, the highlight of the trip was the staff. Every single staff member greets you with a smile every time they see you. Everyone was extremely willing to help anyway they could. The entertainment team was outstanding too, they put on great shows every night. Odette Suarez from the entertainment team especially went out of her way to make everyone in my family feel welcome. It's the staff members like her that make the trip memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keelan S
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed all over Playa/Cancun and this is best and best value resort. Loved swim-out porch for a midnight dip. Best resort food around, and no need for reservations.
Odette on games/entertainment staff was a blast!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank kdskyle
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Please make me go back.... We have just returned from our third trip to SMB and I must say this resort just keeps getting better. Upon arrival we were recognized as return guest and taken straight to the lobby where we were told we needed not go through the check-in process but would be escorted to our rooms when ever we were ready. Upon Arrival at our building, #14, we were met by Roger, our building concierge, who handled every part of our check in and repeated several times the words we we had heard since arriving "welcome home my friends". We truly were welcomed as if we were returning home and were being welcomed by family. Thank you Roger for a wonderful job throughout the week.

Upon arriving we found that the weather was having a few rough spots in it. Even with some rain interruptions we never felt as if our stay had been compromised any. Even in times of weather the staff had a smile on their faces and were so pleasant. I can not say enough about the great attitudes of the staff at this resort. They are the greatest. Once we made it to the beach we were met by our previously server and friend, Anali, who recognized us from past visits and even remembered what we drank. WOW. Even when we were not lounging in her section of the beach Anali would come by and check on us to make sure we were being treated the way she wanted us to be treated, she was amazing. Thank you Anali.

As all visitors should, we started our day at the World Buffet for breakfast. Once inside we were recognized and greeted by Freddy, who again treated us like royalty. What a great experience to have everyone treat you like returning family. Freddy's first words when he saw us for the first time again were "welcome home my friends".

I guess its time in my review to explain why I am so amazed by the fact that so many of the staff remembered us......... It has been two years since we have been here. Not last month, not six months ago but TWO YEARS. That tells me that this staff really enjoys taking care of their guest and getting to know them.

I can't say enough about SMB, the cleanliness of the rooms, the restaurants, the facilities are second to none. The food unbelievable. The grounds are impeccable and the staff is over the top.

If I could change anything at all about our trip I have to say it would be that I should have had one more margarita by the beach before leaving.

My suggestion to those who are thinking about it is to GO. For those going remember; if you need it ask someone for it they will be happy to take care of your needs for you. What a great place. We will be back, and sooner than tow years this time.

Room Tip: Consider a Junior swim out suite. It adds so much to the experience.
3  Thank Docproctor
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Where to start, we booked Secrets Maroma after enjoying a magnificent stay at a sister resort called Secrets Silver Sands. We wanted to get married on a beach and loved Maroma beach, voted one of the best on a few online sites. We were safe in the knowledge that we would be in good hands at a secret’s Resort, their attention to detail and customer service goes above and beyond and exceeds all expectations, we booked our wedding and honeymoon there confidently!

We decided to book the Preferred club as with this room we got the Basic Wedding package free. We wanted everything to be special as we were getting married so for us this was a welcomed bonus. The preferred club privileges were fab, we arrived at the main reception and were whisked away in a ‘golf buggy’ car to the preferred club. We were given a tour of the resort on the way….our bags meanwhile were being taken to our room ahead of us.
Upon arrival at the preferred club we were offered drinks and sat down to check in and to be given our room keys (one each, a bonus of the preferred club, our guests only got one per couple). We were given a resort orientation, maps to the resort etc. We were then taken to our room…

Our room which had a Honeymoon sash across the door, I loved this!!! We opened our door
and was met with a welcome note, which said to Mr and Mrs Solomon (we weren't married yet), there was also a welcome flower arrangement, fruit bowl which consisted of 3 apples, not really a fruit bowl, there was a bottle of Sparkling wine and two glasses laid out (these additions were all part of the basic wedding package) and of course the best part of all was that view from our balcony (preferred rooms are closer to the ocean providing better views). I was completely blown away by the view and by Maroma beach, the pictures on the net are amazing but nothing could have prepared me for seeing it in real life!!! Truly spectacular!!! Oh and I loved that there was a bath on the balcony looking onto that view, had hot and cold water too!
Other Preferred Club additions were the ipod dock, which we used, Nespresso coffee machine which I loved, new capsules were given daily, the mini fridge is restocked daily, but with the Preferred club room you get miniature bottles of alcohol (vodka, rum and whisky) and peanut M&Ms and a mini tub of original Pringles…these were great additions that were also replenished daily. We also got upgraded toiletries (see photos). I love that they give sun cream!!! We were also given a beach bag with two beach towels, I loved loved this!!! We had access to the Preferred Club lounge our whole trip but barely used it to be honest, you could have breakfast there, but we preferred the World Café, there were computers there, but there is also a media suite at the main reception. The only reason we went there was to have a drink before going to dinner and to check in and out. There was really no reason for this it wasn’t bad, it’s just that we had wedding guests that didn’t have access and so felt unsociable going there. If we had been alone we probably would have used it more, but its not nothing you really need. In all despite not using the Preferred club all the other bonus’ you get as a preferred club guest are well worth the extra, if only for the ocean view!! Oh and not forgetting the daily access to the spa to use their Hydrotherapy circuit which we used and loved.

The resort was impeccable, the food, delicious it cannot be faulted, all seven restaurants were fabulous, we enjoyed every single one apart from Portfino the Italian restaurant, because it was too dark in there. They gave you a torch to look at the menu! We loved the French restaurant desserts the best! The World Café for breakfast was a must. Oh and not forgetting their resort coffee shop, I loved it there. In the afternoon if you sat in you would be given Mini Tea time treats (like afternoon tea) mini sandwiches and cakes…yummy. I loved the iced coffees, you must try. We loved the drinks menus. Especially the cocktail menu there were a lot of Purple Rains being consumed. And for a non-alcoholic drink I could not get enough of the Fresh Mint…if you are going you must try it, it’s so refreshing in the Mexican sun!!!

The staff couldn't do enough for you and our personal concierge Fabiola was an absolute dream, during all my wedding planning she was there answering all my little requests for resort stationary, helping me give my day the personal touch. Thank you so much Fabiola!!!

Entertainment was great, and could not be faulted they gave you a news letter every night at turn down to tell you what activities/entertainment there would be for the next day. There was everything from shooting, bike riding, beach football, water volleyball, Spanish lessons, sushi making, coffee tasting and much much more…I loved looking through the news letter daily deciding the next days activities!!!

My only problem I had was at the Spa, I booked to have my nails and hair done for my wedding, the manicurist didn't do my nails how I wanted, so much so that at one point I took the nail-file and filed my nails myself. Also the hairdresser's English was none existent and she just didn't do my hair like I wanted, despite someone translating from English to Mexican...was a big waste of time and money and it did really stress me out on my wedding day. It made me run late as I had to go back to my room and do my hair myself. My bridesmaid's weren't impressed with their manicures either and one of them that had her hair done also went back to her room and did it herself, my advice. Don't expect too much!! The resort needs to invest in better qualified Beauty Therapists that have more English.

Overall, despite my problem at the spa I thought this resort was fantastic,I would honestly go back time and time again. I am so happy to say that I got married there. Our wedding was so beautiful and perfect. A big thanks to Cecilia, the Wedding Coordinator at Secrets for making our day perfect!!

My only tip to the resort would be: If couples are going to get married make different sashes for the doors such as ‘GETTING MARRIED’ sash, as the honeymoon sash wasn't really appropriate, it would have been nice if after the wedding the resort changed the sash to ‘HONEYMOON’. Also our welcome note was to Mr &Mrs Solomon when we weren't married yet would be nice if this could also be adjusted to arrive after you are actually married…
I would change nothing else….

Thank Secrets Maroma for the time of our lives!!! We can’t wait to come back!

Room Tip: Book Preferred Club to get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sam_solomon13
Reviewed September 22, 2013

What can i say about this amazing hotel that others havnt already said.
We travelled her on the 10th september for our honeymoon.
I did alot of research about where we could so on on our honeymoon & we ended choosing secrets maroma & gladly it did not dissapoint. It is an amazing place that we WILL return back to.

Everybody from the Gardeners,Bar staff to the concierge (Antonio) were excellent.

I just loved the room service from a omellete on a morning to a Steak in the afternoon & you dont even have to leave your room & they will even collect it from your little cupboard that is near the door so you dont have to be disturbed.

The beach is just WOW.

The only this that let us down was that we booked to have dinner under the stars on the beach but it was to windy & there was some rain so we had it in our stand by restaurant (SeaSide) that made it really special for us as they put rose pettles round the table for us.

We will return.

1  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and seven other couples just got back from a week at Secrets Maroma Beach. We had a wonderful time. The facility itself along with the beach is without a doubt the best I have ever visited.

However I wont rate SMB 5 stars because of the little details they are missing. Three times I had a waiter that basically couldnt understand english and messed up my order and then it took a LONG time to correct.

First thing, we made reservations 9 months in advance and we arrived very early in the day, yet the resort could not get us in the same building let alone the same floor. In fact we were scattered over 4 buildings. It seems to me that with that kind of notice we should have all been on the 4th floor of the same building.

When we first arrived I noticed a pile of dead ants between the 3rd and 4th floors on the staircase, It took 3 days before they were cleaned up. We never drank anything but the "Coke Light" out of our mini fridge. Wouldnt you think after a couple of days you would only stock "Coke Light"?

You will soon realize that the guests are mostly American. Yet few of the TV stations are english speaking. again little details.

Being we were with seven other couples, most meals we wanted to eat in larger groups than 4. The staff just would not accomodate that and alway made us split up. While I understand the resort is a couples resort, there are also plenty of destination weddings going on that would make larger groups often enough to understand.

while drinking a cup of coffee each morning at the Coco Cafe, I would jump on the Cafe computers to catch up on the news and such. Someone had mixed up some of the keys on the keyboard. Myself, who is an adequate typist at best that needs to look for numbers and symbols, that got a little irksome as i tried to remember where the keys were supposed to be. Little details.

Last but probably most bothersome, the resort actually tries to be "elegant" too much. In my opinion, there are times it isnt necessary and it takes away from the opportunities to be elegant when it makes sense. For example, breakfast each morning is a buffet under the main building. They insist on seating every couple and again they make it very difficult for groups to meet up. No one is coming to breakfast for the elegant experience. Forcing that is just bothersome. If the resort wants to set up a separate breakfast area for some sort of "experience" do it. I bet few would come.

Now for the good. Again, I cannot say enough about the beauty of SMB. As is always stated in previous reviews, the beach is simply heaven I have never seen a beach this nice, clean, sand perfect, plenty of chairs, etc Just unbelieveably beautiful.

Previous reviews I have read leading up to our trip led me to believe we would be carried away each day by mosquitoes. I honestly never encountered a single mosquito the entire week. And we gave them every opportunity. Out and about at night or bike rides through the jungle, no mosquitoes.

Second, i expected our meals to be very high quality but small portions. The high quality was correct as every single restaurant was wonderful. However, I am a big eater and can honestly say I was not disappointed with the portion size.

The previous reviews talk about the level of service, and except for the three instances where we got the waiter that had trouble understanding us, ALL service was outstanding. We slept in junior ocean view suite on the 4th floor of building 23 and our room was wonderful. The ladies that took care of our room were so consistent and perfect. I cannot compliment them enough for making us so comfortable in our room.

the drink waiters were so eager to wait on us. You never have to get up to go find a drink. I especially want to compliment Edgar the bartender at the pool bar. He literally made a couple of our days by not only making perfect drinks all day, but entertaining us with his personality and explaining drinks, liquors etc. The two days we spent near that bar flew by mainly because of Edgar. If you go, say hi to Edgar from his friends from St Louis.

As i stated above, all the restaurants were wonderful. You will not go wrong at any of them. However, the Himitsu Resaurant was exceptionally fun and amazing food experience. If i was you as soon as you get there, make reservations to get seated grillside where the chef prepares your meal in front of you.

We ate lunch each day at the Barefoot Grill. I have been trying to think of where I ate a better cheeseburger than the Barefoot Grill, and I cannot. Besides the burgers, they have great ribs, chicken and grilled fish. All are wonderful.

Each morning I had a couple of cups of coffee at the Coco Cafe, Just a wonderful cup of coffee. The best coffee on the resort by far.

Entertainment. This by far is the area that the resort has seen fit to really put some thought into. If someone says they had nothing to do while at SMB, they just didnt try. The entertainment staff works incredible hours. We would see them at breakfast first thing in the morning and they would be leading people to the disco at the wee hours of the night as well. In between, the activities were piled up on top of each other non stop. We learned how to make quality guacomole, we learned the differences in quality in tequila (there was some tasting involved as well), there was also a coffee class and a wine tasting class.

We rode bikes through the jungle, we went sailing on the ocean, we took kayaks out to the reef, we did bungee trampolining, we threw footballs, played kickball, soccer, beach volleyball, pool bingo, pool blackjack. each morning there were yoga, aroebics, etc classes.

Each evening the staff put on a wonderful show. Beit the Rock Show, American Idol, the cirus high wire acts, the Fire Show, the Magician ( man that guy was awesome. dont miss the magician) or the newlywed game, every show was very entertaining.

Special acknowledgements go to Jesus Banana's, Fanny and Alfredo. They seemed to go out of their way more than anyone to show they cared and wanted us to enjoy our time at SMB. In a week's time, I truly felt like they cared about us and were our friends.

All in all, Secrets Maroma Beach was an outstanding trip and my memories were good lasting memories. I would encourage anyone going to Mexico to go to SMB.

Room Tip: They claim all the rooms are ocean view of some sort. I would tell you unless you just want to be...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!