“The Best in Riviera Maya!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I traveled with my wife in September. We are both in our late 20s. I've never posted a review on TripAdvisor, but thought this place was worthy of one. Booking through the Secrets website was a breeze. We got a great price for an ocean view preferred club room. The non-stop flight they offer with Frontier was perfect (leaves early and returns late). It's a chartered plane and our plane had leather seats and TVs in every headrest with free, live DirecTV! The transfers both to and from the resort were included in our package and were nonstop/direct transfers with a couple other people also staying at Secrets Maroma.

Check in was smooth at the preferred club lounge (only for people who booked preferred club rooms). Room was ready upon check-in (even though we got there early). We staying in building 25 on the 4th floor. Our concierge gave us a tour of the room (there's a concierge for each building who is available during the day to help with anything you need). We had a beautiful view of the ocean and pool! Great bed, roomy bathroom, large balcony. 2 minute walk to the beach from our room.

Restaurants: We are very picky eaters/foodies. We found the restaurants to be excellent overall. The Italian and French were the best. We only had one meal the entire time that was subpar. Both breakfast and lunch buffets were extensive and everything had great flavor/seasoning. The poolside buffet was delicious...freshly grilled burgers/chicken, chips/guac, etc. Considering this is an all-inclusive resort, the food is definitely better than expected.

Beach: The best beach we've been to in the area, without a doubt. Wide beaches, no rocks, just perfect! Comfortable beach chairs. It does get crowded after about 10:30am, but before that you should be able to find a chair without a problem. They have private cabanas you can rent for day which we didn't do, but heard they were worth it.

Activities: They give you a schedule the night before with the following day's activities. They had beach and pool volleyball everyday. There's a covered bar by the pool with a ping pong table, pool table, jenga, chess, etc. It was nice to go there during the brief rain showers.

Negatives: Evening shows were just average (probably better for families than for an adults only)...but we didn't go for the shows anyway. Our water only got warm (not hot) and they couldn't resolve that problem.

We were worried about the mosquitos after reading all the reviews. We took all the precautions as recommended by everyone else. We skipped the turndown maid service (since they leave the door open), brought bug spray (3 different kinds), and didn't eat outside in the evening. I got one bite and so did my wife. I didn't notice any unusually large amount of mosquitos to be honest. Some other guests had more bites. I would say if you take the precautions we did, then you should be fine.

Overall, this was one of the best resorts we've stayed at. The best all-inclusive food, excellent beach, and a great room. I would definitely go back and would considering doing the preferred club again for the wifi and free calls to U.S. landlines. Seriously, don't hesitate to book this place. We are very particular and hard to please and were more than satisfied!

6  Thank 13Eric13
Write a ReviewReviews (12,617)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at Maroma from September 8th to 14th of 2013. It was amazing! Everyone was very friendly and inviting. The weather was not perfect, it rained nearly everyday. We did not let that hold us back. We went to the beach and pool everyday and there was always something going on even when it rained. The staff was always helpful, bringing drinks or food and making sure we had everything we needed. A special thanks to our concierge, Fernanda, who remembered my birthday was the 9th and had some cake and champagne sent to our room along with balloons and a banner to let everyone know it was my birthday. She was always helpful and informative and wanted to make sure our vacation was the best. We stayed in a junior suite overlooking the beach and resort and it was amazing. The food was unbelievable! We tried every restaurant and they were all fantastic. Oceana (seafood) was very good with fresh fish which was grilled exactly how we ordered it. The hibachi grill at Himitsu was fantastic with so many choices and the chefs that cooked it were entertaining and very friendly. Portofino (Italian) was delicious with great wine pairings for our dinner. El Patio (Mexican) was amazing, and the night we went they let us sample different tequilas. Bordeaux (French) was also amazing, with many options and great wine pairings for our meal. We only ordered room service once, but it was delicious and did not take very long for us to get it. The waiter brought it in and set it up in our room. We loved it. The breakfast buffet was probably the best part. There was an omelet station, crepe station, cold cuts, Mexican foods, fresh fruit, pastries, and much more! It was always delicious and something different daily. Lunch was also delicious. There was a buffet for it which had numerous choices. We mainly at out by the pool at the Seaside grill or at the a la carte station that grilled hamburgers, chicken, ribs, fajitas, and many other choices which were always fresh and tasty. There were shows nightly that were always entertaining. There was an Idol (singing) contest, acrobatic show, rock band performance, comedian/magician, and a fire/lights show which were all very well done. The entertainment staff worked very hard and made sure each of us had a great time. Finally, the bars were amazing. The bartenders were always friendly and made the best drinks. They would make anything you ordered and were always very polite. The drinks of the day were very good and I enjoyed trying different things. Two bartenders who were outstanding were Luis and Angel. They made the best drinks and would chat/joke with us, especially when it was raining. There was a coffee shop (Coco café) that was delicious. I tried every drink there and every drink was fantastic. You could drink it there (which we did a couple times to wait out the rain) or take it to go (usually with us to breakfast). I wish I could remember the names of all of our waiters and staff so we could let them know how wonderful they were. This was our first all inclusive experience, and it was definitely worth it. I would recommend this place to anyone. Even with less than perfect weather we still had a wonderful stay thanks to the wonderful staff. We can't wait to go back!

5  Thank Justin T
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at Maroma from June 10 to 19th of 2013. We have stayed at Secrets Capri 4 times previously and were never disappointed. Our travel agent encouraged us to try Maroma so we did. We once again could not have been any happier. We were in building 27, ocean front in the preferred club area. 2nd floor honeymoon suite.
Check in: When we arrived, literally within seconds a golf cart arrived to take us to private (VIP) check in at the Preferred Club Lounge. It was about a 2 minute ride. We were greeted with Champagne as always and directed to a concierge. We arrived around 1:30 so we really did not expect the room to be ready. We always carry a suit in our carry on and go straight to the beach. Within 10 minutes a conceirge (Roberto) took us to our room and showed all the amenities. Could not have been much easier.
Room:
The Honeymoon suites are actually double rooms.the suite side is typical, king poster bed, flat screen, Great bathroom, double vanity, Jacuzzi, but in this suite the shower is HUGE, it had 3 heads the 2 on the ends with 3 different jets. It was killer! 2 people could actually shower on either end at once.The other half of the suite contains a full living room, table and chairs for room service, a full wet bar and second bathroom. Best part of this suite was the deck. It of course is double the regular size. With entries from both sides of the suite. It has seating one end and a table and chairs. On the other side is a huge outdoor hot tub. It does not run all the time but all you have to do is let the conceirge now when you want it and the temp and it will be ready. The second floor has a perfect view as does the third. The first floor has a their own swimout pool but the trees to block the view of the beach to some degree.
Beach:
One of the best points of this resort. They say it is the best on the Mayan Riviera and I cannot argue. Very deep and plenty of walking in either direction. The service and amenities at the beach are top notch. They do have beach beds for rental on a daily basis and looked lovely. I just did not see the need. The chairs and palapas are wonderful. My wife goes on these trips for the beach and we were not at all unhappy.
Pools:
Huge, easy access, swim up bar is busy. Believe it or not we may have spent an hour a day there but it was always fun.
Restaurants:
Never a bad meal anywhere. Love the french and italiana the best. Buffet is off the chart.
Preferred club:
At most Secrets preferrerd club may not offer as much as at Maroma. At Capri preferred club simply was a better room category. At Maroma it is much more. The preferred club lounge is very nice. I was in there at least twice a day. If you are on the south side of the resort it will be a little more convenient. It is located about half way down that side. It opens at 7 in morning and stays open til like 10 or 11. Quiet, great drinks and snacks and several computers. Another preferred club perk is in our room we could make free calls to any land line in the US on our house phone. This was great and so convenient.
Note:
Sometime during your stay as always you will be asked to come by and"verify" information, they will try to get you set up for a loyalty plan (time share) talk. Luckily they do it onsite and you usually get coupons. We are not just not interested, if you are clear with the people they will give way but you can tell they have been trained well in the art of persuasion. Just say no thanks.
Personnel: This as always is the best part of ANY Secrets property. The people are simply charming and are there for your every need. You will hear "it is a pleasure" many times. It is simply their response regardless of how many times you say thank you. They staff simply makes the resort what it is. We have been back multiple times.
Summary: Woudl recommend to anyone. It is adults only and couples oriented. Several weddings while we were there. There are NO negatives about this place. Little pricey but for the service you get, off the chart

Room Tip: Closer to the beach is always nice, all rooms face pool except the last 2 buidlings on either side...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JTW37
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Despite the sketchy weather, we were able to catch some sunshine, eat good food, drink tropical cocktails and totally reconnect during out visit. The one thing that stands out is the staff. They are hard working, attentive and personable. Although tipping is never expected, it is always appreciated. I suggest you carry 100 single dollars and tip according to the great service you'll receive. The place is immaculate. The beach is beautiful and the pool while always lively, never seemed too crowded. The food can be very good or sometimes just OK. The best restaurants were the Italian and the French. Try to have dinner one night on the patio of the Italian restaurant, but make sure you put on bug spray. The mosquitos are out this time of year. We had a swim out pool which was lovely and somewhat orivate. We were in building 12 which is close to the main hall, however there is traffic. For better privacy and quiet try to get into building 20. I would also recomment the couples massage. Best we ever had. All in all a wonderful trip and highly recommended.

Room Tip: try to get into building 20
2  Thank kardan127
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The only thing I regret so bad is not staying longer. I fell in love with the beautiful beach and Caribbean Sea. I love that parasailing is available right at the resort. We never had a bad meal. The food was amazing everywhere we went. The staff is very kind and helpful. The resort is beautiful and very clean. It is amazing how hard wveryone works to make your stay a dream come true. I can not wait to be able to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank GerriannS
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon and I must say Secrets Maroma Beach surpassed our expectations! I am not one to write reviews but felt like this was a must. I have stayed at several all-inclusive in the past including a Dreams Cancun but Secrets Maroma set a new bar. The resort was beautiful and spotless. Someone was always cleaning something and everything appears brand new. The beach was everything you could hope for with NO hidden rocks to step on so no water shoes are necessary unlike other resorts. The rooms are very roomy and the bed was very comfortable.

The food and top shelf bar were fabulous which included a decent variety of beers (Corona, Corona Light, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo, Pacifico, León Negra, Bud light) and a great selection of liquor if you ask. The breakfast buffet was the largest I have ever seen and the quality was superb. I do regret not trying the buffet for lunch or dinner but would guess it was just as good. Lunch was very good at the Seaside Grill but our favorite was the poolside pass around horderves and taco grill set up along the pools and beach. The restaurants were all very good and no reservations are required except at the Himitsu, which if you do not get reservations for during your stay, honestly you would not be missing out. Another nice touch is the coffee house, Coco Café, which often provided us with a second wind before heading to dinner each night.

The nightly entertainment was far beyond what I would expect at an all-inclusive resort. We only watched the rock show and their version of Cirque Soleil, both amazing. Everything you go on vacation for exists at this resort but still would not mean anything without the professionalism of the employees. They bend over backwards to meet your every need and do so with a smile. Tips are not required but believe me, they are earned at this resort. Don’t believe me, visit here and find out for yourself! MARIO in the lobby bar was my personal favorite because of his accommodating professionalism and sense of humor. If I could, I would hire him at home in a heartbeat. Honorable mentions are his sidekick JONATHAN at the lobby bar and JESUS BANANA at the pool activities for both their service and sense of humor.

Lastly I would like to mention the CONS. I only have 3, none which are deal breakers. The worst was the sales pitch they try to push on you immediately after check in. We had to sit through it before we even stepped foot in our room. Just tell them you are not interested in setting up an appointment for the next morning and start your vacation! Next was the road into the resort. The road was very flooded and not overly landscaped like other resorts. Still you only have to see it coming and going so not a deal breaker. Final complaint was the room’s AC. Worked but not overly powerful so was a little hot some nights (I am sure the alcohol may have assisted in this as well).

Overall we will be returning to this resort in the near future. No wristbands, great bar, great food and the best service I have ever had leave me no choice but to return. Thank you for a great honeymoon Secrets Maroma!

7  Thank NJerz
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Secrets has once again exceeded my expectations. We have stayed at numerous Dreams and Secrets resorts in the past and Maroma is by far the best yet. The key to the resorts success lies within the training of the staff. All of the staff made us feel "at home". Everytime you passed a maid, grounds keeper, wait staff or any other employee there was always a gracious "Hola".
I would like to thank a couple of the employees for going out of thier way to make us feel welcome. Andres at the Preferred Club bar helped my wife with playing checkers and always had a glass of La Pinta ready when we arrived. Edgar served us every morning for breakfast at the World Cafe. He did a great job of multitasking and making sure our drinks were always full and our dirty plates were removed. Ricardo at Sea Side for dinner did a great job explaining all of the courses and with overall service. Kudos to Maroma for having a great staff and properly training them.
The weather was poor so we spent THREE of our five days at the Spa. The Spa was easy to find and was nicley equipped. Check in and reservations were easily handled. We tried the Hydrotherapy session before our services. I unfortunatly was not impressed with that free service. The time spent in the sauna was ok, but I could not handle that much time spent in the steam room. The menthol steam was nice for only a minute or two then it was just over powering. The cold and warm pools of water were a little extreme. The hot tub near the end of the pool in the spa was not warm at all and half of the jets did not work. The first service was the Fish Spa! Fantastic experience and great photos. It felt a little strange to have fish nibble or "kiss" your feet, but the outcome was great. My feet have never been so soft. The next day we had 80 minute couples massage. We upgraded the massage oil to Biofreeze which helped us with sore muscles and helped us relax. Ilyana performed a great 80 minute service. The following day we had a 50 minute massage and 50 minute facials. This time the service was performed in the fabric cabanas in the main room of the spa instead of a room at the end. This helped us relax with the aromatherapy and sound of the water fountain in the middle of the room. Great ambiance and comfortable setting for this service. The 50 minute massage felt rushed. The facial service left my skin very clean and felt refreshed. I would always recommend getting the 80 minute massage. Overall experience after 3 trips to the spa was excellent. Thank You.
All of the restraunts and selection of food was great. We visited all of the restraunts at least once. The best food was found at the Hibachi grill in Himitsu. Definitly call the concierge and reserve a seat for the hibachi grill. The buffet was never too busy and always had a nice selection of hot food. I'm not picky when it comes to food so I thought everything was great.
Check in at the Preferred Club was simple and pleasant. All of the aminities and grounds were explained in detail while we sipped on champagne. Our flight landed early at the airport and we arrived at the resort before check in. We emailed the resort before we left and asked if our room could be ready before 3pm since we had an early flight. They were gracious enough to make our request happen and that was a huge surprise and great relief after traveling for 12 hours. Thank You.
Once we arrived at the room our concierge Carlos arrived to explain the features of the room and fill our ice bucket for our complementary bottle of champagne. The room was decorated with ballons, cake and drinks for my birthday when we arrived. That was awesome. The room smelled good, was clean and the bed at any Secrets resort is always comfortable. All of our items in the room worked properly. I did have to use the "steam wand" to remove some wrinkles in my evening clothes one night. What a joke that thing was. Just put an iron in the room instead of the steam thing. The balcony was nice, the room a/c worked very well and the shower was large enough for two. Bonus!
I would highly recommend Secrets Maroma Beach for any couple or even singles. We will return to this beautiful resort in Mexico very soon. Thanks for some great memories.

Room Tip: Preferred Club is well worth the money
5  Thank racer525
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!