“Excellent experience”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived at Secrets on August 29. I emailed the concierge in advance to see if we could upgrade to a swim out and they responded saying that one was available the day after but when we got there we could not see the room and only the honeymoon was available for upgrade which was 200 USD per night versus 100 per night. We loved our room so it was not a big deal. We had to go to meet Ivan to get our coupons but he did not offer to make any reservations for the cabana rental, restaurants, etc. We had a personal concierge Antonio but we were not contacted until a day or two after we arrived. The only thing that would have been nice to know is what day the restaurants were closed so we could plan our week. It is imperative that if you want a cabana rental or would like to go to the Hibachi restaurant make your reservations in advance. Also the spa, which I did ahead of time . You can make a reservation for the restaurant in advance of arriving also.

We had some ants on the balcony but it was no big deal and expected. The room was very spacious, the service is excellent and the food was excellent. We really felt like the 40 dollars was worth it for the cabana rental due to the personalized butler staff that will bring you food and drinks all day 9-5. This is the number 2 beach in the world and we really are enjoying it!

Feel free to contact me with any questions. We stayed in building 16 on preferred side

2  Thank TexasSunshine
Write a ReviewReviews (12,742)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our third consecutive visit (15 to 28 August 2013) and was a bit worried that we were pushing our luck. Can you really have a great holiday 3 years running? Well actually you can. We were not disappointed. The staff work extremely hard and it was really touching that some of them remembered us (Might have something to do with our surname being Good or Bueno). That makes it special. This year we had the anniversary package, and we arrived to wine, fruit and 2 gorgeous roses in the room. Housekeeping were spot on and very considerate. The romantic meal on the beach, although a bit expensive was gorgeous with the sea just feet away. All 3 years we have had the basic Junior suite room, mainly because we would rather have a few more days holiday with our budget rather than spend it on a swim out room, so although never experienced I can honestly say that it has not bothered me at all and in fact saw only 1 couple in our block use their swim out (after 6pm during our 14 day stay as we were out and about during the day).

I love that there is no pressure to join in any of the entertainment, ie water volley ball as we were happy to sit and watch (boring I know but each to their own) and staff respected this.

Having said that I have one negative I have to mention and that is I was slightly disappointed with the amount of people wearing jeans or shorts in the evening. My understanding of "Smart casual" clothing is trousers/pants and our previous two visits did not see this at all. Was very impressed when one member of staff actually turned a couple away as they were not dressed appropriately. Let me assure you that "I am not up myself" and I can already hear people say I am moaning for the sake of moaning but if there is a dress code, then people should respect this. That said, the question is would we come back for a fourth year and the answer is a definite YES. I love this place, love the staff (especially Edgar from the breakfast buffet who treats everybody with the same attention and respect but has the knack of making you feel that extra bit special), love the resort and especially love the beach.

In our 3 years we have met and made special friends from all over, age ranging from 20 to 80. If you are looking for a holiday for over 18's, then this is the place to be.

Room Tip: I always request a room on the "spa" side as there is no other neighbouring hotel.
4  Thank Debs1382
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My new husband and I visited Secrets Maroma on the 13/8/13 untill the 27/8/13 and we have both agreed that it is the most amazing hotel we have ever been to. The rooms are stunning with stunning veiws over the gardens, the food was awesome every meal time and the cocktails are simply the best we have ever had. The staff are all absolutely fantastic and can't do enough for you, we would like to make some special thank you's to some of the staff that made it even better:
Fermin- AKA the ferminator!
Sasquatch
Noodles
Big Willy
Jesus Banana
Mani
Harry Potter
Odette
Paulina
Asmara - all of the fabulous entertainment team thank you for keeping us laughing!!
The bar staff waiters/ waitressess
Cecillia (pool waitress)
Antonio (waiter world buffet)
WillIAm (italian resturant) only a few of the excellent bar and resturant staff.

Again we just want to say thank you for making our honeymoon even more magical.
We would highly recommend the resort to anyone wanting to be treated like royalty.

Kiri and Graeme Tish

1  Thank KiriT1986
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Background: We stopped at the SMB between the 6th and 20th August and this was our first trip to Mexico having spent many previous holidays ‘trying’ other all-inclusive Caribbean resorts. Our choice was based on the many positive recommendations about the SMB as we wanted an indulgent beach holiday. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary whilst we were there.

Our findings: We were greeted by very friendly staff at around 17:30 who immediately took care of our luggage. We were directed to the main desk reception and were greeted and seated by very attentive staff with cold towels – most welcome!. A glass of champagne later we were given an overview of the hotel given a plan of the resort and directed to our suite. We didn’t get any sales patter some have experienced once they move from the reception area.

The suite was great and our bags arrived within just a few minutes. The smiling concierge immediately gave us a tour of all the amenities and listened to our request for daily additional coffee pods. The staff from day one to the day we left are all fabulous – bar none! The best we have encountered anywhere in the world – a great testimony to what Secrets are trying to achieve.

The resort does initially look and feel quite large but you immediately get a sense that there aren’t many people there – nowhere feels overcrowded or busy. There were many times when we could walk around the complex and only see staff and no other residents. The beach is very good – not sure about it being in the world’s top 10 but it is great none the less and we spent everyday on the beach rather than around the pool. White powder sand kept clean and pristine daily by the beach staff. The beach and beach bar staff are brilliant and will look after your every needs – there is no need to even put a towel on the bed and stretch it out as it is done for you. We had no problems in getting drinks every 30 mins or so but did prefer to get our own food but this can be delivered too!

Tipping – we didn’t tip until the final day and then only to a select few staff – it was welcomed but I don’t feel changed anything about how we were treated at any stage. The staff aren’t very well paid in Mexico in general but do they do genuinely seem glad to be of service to you here.

The food at breakfast is a buffet service but has everything you could possibly request with only one small exception – no baked beans! However, the massive choice more than made up for that and the standard was very good indeed. Everything is very fresh and of great quality. Lunchtimes we mostly ate at the barefoot grill which served both hot and cold food. The iguanas make for some interesting ‘people watching’ and provided a few laughs amongst us all. Again the food is varied and good quality. We also tried the seafood restaurant and this was indeed excellent at lunchtimes.

We visited every restaurant in the resort at least once for our evening meal and even did room service one evening. The standard at all is fabulous with the Himitsu being afforded a special mention. The staff are amazing there both on the Teppanyaki table and in the main seated area with Victoria the concierge there an absolute star!! She was brilliant and organised our special evening celebrating our 25th where we received some special courses not on their menu and these were incredible. Don’t ever be afraid to ask to try something new!!

The French restaurant was also superb with the best steak mignon I have ever had. The fillet was amazingly tender and succulent. Here they use Ipad’s as a menu so you can see a picture and description of you choices – a very modern touch! Seating towards the rear of the room is better with side by side wall tables being particularly in demand. All restaurants apart from the Himitsu are on a first come first served basis and the longest we waited was 35 mins- not a problem as we were at the 8PM peak time. The pager system if you have to wait is easy & effective and didn’t give rise to any problems whatsoever and we only had to use them twice in 13 restaurant evening visits. I wish though they enforced the dress code more thoroughly.

House wines are good and from Chile whilst we were there – the Merlot being very drinkable!! More expensive wines were available but you were asked if you wanted to see the wine menu – it is never forced or pressed on us. Whilst on the subject of drinks – if you want a particular brand ask for it – with the exception of Jameson Irish whiskey they had everything I wanted – Bombay Sapphire Gin and Grey Goose Vodka. Also try the different tequilas – some are amazingly smooth and tasty and changed our impressions of a shot or slug drink.

Cleanliness at the hotel is impeccable – from suite to pool area to beach – with no litter or unnecessary filth anywhere. The sun’s strength here seems particularly strong – make sure you have a higher factor on than you think as we saw some horrendous sunburnt bodies some days and it must have spoilt their holidays as a consequence. We are from England and mixed very well with all nationalities at the resort – sure some of the Americans got a bit louder than others but nothing extreme and it’s just a short hop for some of them so they do tend to make the most of a few days there – wouldn’t you with this place on your doorstep!!

We did a couple of the evening shows – the fire-show and acrobatics were brilliant with the theatre providing comfortable seating and excellent views. Had a brilliant evening on the beach too star gazing and being serenaded by some rock classics.

There are additional ways to spend money for those that just want to here. The wines I have already mentioned is one way, upgrading your room another – why when they all are good is beyond me and we saw other residents use the swim out facilities once then no more. The ‘preferred’ club is for people who can’t socialise – the spa for those who want private treatments as some are available on the beach. The trips we heard are all considered expensive by those who go but those who did do the whale shark trip and swimming in the caves said they were worth it- can’t give you a personal view here though.

We spent hours beach walking in either direction – if you take the time to look you can see the many turtle tracks and smaller baby tracks of the hatchlings making their bid for open water. A short walk to the right and there’s a small harbour where you can hire speed boats and book fishing trips. There’s also a place where we watched 6 dolphins in captivity which looked still to be under construction which may be worth a view in the months to come. Grab some bread rolls at breakfast and feed the fish once waist deep in the sea – they are very friendly and completely safe.

If it does rain (and when it does you know about it!!) there are board games in the main lobby area and there’s an extremely comfortable coffee shop that puts Starbucks to shame. The TV programmes available were limited but I managed to get Sky Sports working on my phone using the free wi-fi so kept up to date with the football and Ashes series that was taking place. Skype and Facetime work without problems just about everywhere with the only exception being the water’s edge on the beach.

Would we go back – without hesitation. We’ve a few other places to see first but if we can’t decide or are stuck making a decision SMB will top our list of places to go back to. Overall the best holiday venue we have ever been to – anywhere!

Andrew

• Stayed: August 2013
10  Thank ImpartialAndy
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Please forgive how late this review is, life did not slow down after we returned in May. This is the first time that we have tried two resorts in one trip. We stayed at Secrets Maroma the first 3 days – loved, loved, loved it!! The beach was beautiful!!! I would really consider ourselves as “pool people” but we spent most of our time on the beach. We had a blast swimming in the sea and feeding the fish. The entertainment staff was fabulous!!! We enjoyed all of the shows and the food was great!! I even won a t-shirt playing Black Jack!! We sat in on a guacamole class and now I am the official guacamole maker at all our family gatherings. We had a swim out suite, I don’t know if I would spend the extra money for that again. Our pool was rather cool and we did not spend any time in the pool at all. We did not see anyone else in it either. They told us that they did not heat the pool after May 1st but it was beautiful to look at in the evenings with a nice drink in your hand.
We spent the next 3 days at Excellence Riviera Cancun. The pool there was excellent; we spent all of our time there. We had a regular pool/spa view and our view from our balcony was wonderful – so peaceful!!! My husband became an avid sailor on the hobby cat. The staff at Aqua World took him out and showed him how to operate it. We went out several times. The food and the service were fabulous and I would definitely go back.
Now a comparison of the two resorts – it is rather simple. If you are beach people, go to Secrets Maroma. If you are pool people, go to Excellence Riviera. You won’t be disappointed!!! My husband and I have been to Mexico five times and have never stayed at the same resort twice. You only have one airfare and two resorts – great vacation! This is one trip that I would repeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasTeresa
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I visited from 8/18/13 to 8/24/13 to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary for the 3rd year and each year they seem to always exceed our expectations and keep us excited to return. The atomsohere is so serene and relaxing. We look forward to coming back each year to not only be pampered by all of the staff but to see staff members who actually remember us from year to year. Once again, our handsome and wonderful concierge Carlos was so attentive to our needs and available when ever we needed him, he is an assest to your staff and we can't thank him enough for helping to make this another wonderful stay.We were also greeted by another wonderful concierge Fabiola whom is also very attentive and a great asset to your staff. We sure are missing our favorite bartender Andres in the preferred club and his special drink! If you want to vacation in a luxury and feel like your at home then Secrets Maroma is the place for you,don't hesitate just book it!! Preffered club building 26 is our second home! Entertainment staff does a fantastic job and they are all so much fun, Jesus you're the best! We miss Secrets Maroma beach more than ever and can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Preferred club building 26 fourth floor has wonderful ocean views
3  Thank pakpak0819
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I think this is a fabulous hotel, but I am under no illusions that it is run by incredible hard working staff and that's what makes it fab. We paid for a swim out room, personally I think it was a waste of money as we used it once. It's great to have the option but personally I preferred the larger pools. At night these swim out rooms can get noise from other guests making the most of the alcohol and it can be annoying. 24 hour room service is great but not if you can hear the trollies trundling by all hours and they are very very noisy. Service in all areas of the hotel was spot on, food very good in all restaurants.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms can be a good and bad thing. Some people get over excited about having alcohol at t...
3  Thank Pix4
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!