“Honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

So let me just start by saying that it RAINED everyday, except the day we were leaving ( my luck ) HOWEVER their whole staff made us very Comfortable ! Their entertainment staff kept us so busy with activities that we almost didn't mind the rain lol! We got a couples massage and we almost fell asleep! Their spa was GREAT! The food was so great that we couldn't stop eating!!! We definitely will be returning to make up for the honeymoon being rained out !!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,334)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ladera Ranch, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 4 days at Secrets Maroma with our friends. Immediately upon walking in, we were amazed at how beautiful the lobby and resort was. The service, restaurants and quality all met and exceeded our expectations. The cons were the timeshare presentation upon check in. We did not want this and were sat down for 30 minutes to discuss this before we knew what was going on. If you do not want this, make sure you tell them right at checking. Also, come with cash. The hotel charges $8, plus a 10% fee for the ATM. Lastly book the Tepon restaurant before you arrive, because they were full every night. Besides these things, the pros far outweighed these small cons. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed May 2013
12 Thank Patrick S
Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We spent 6 nights in Secrets Maroma beach on our honeymoon and it was simply amazing. We didn't want to leave. Everything from check-in to check-out was brilliant. even though we were told the resort was full - there was never any issue get a beach/pool lounger or a table in any of restaurants. the staff were exceptional. we had a room with a swim up pool - the room was nice & spacious - same for bathroom. would I go back - would love to! :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lorro66
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had my daughter's wedding at Secrets Maroma Beach. It was a wonderful relaxing celebration with our family and the couple's friends. The wonderful service and variety of activities made it perfect for both generations. I have never had the superb service that Secrets offered. All of the staff went out of their way to make sure it was a true vacation.
We arrived on Friday to a very hot humid day. Thankfully we missed the rain that had almost flooded the area. Even though we arrived soon after noon, our rooms were ready for early check-in and our room had its air conditioning going full blast! It didn't take us long to find our daughter and future son-in-law at one of the pools. Thanks to poolside service we had a drink in hand before we even sat down. Friday night was alot of fun since none of our group had eaten squid, clams, etc. We had just about everything on the menu at the Oceania grill.

Saturday, we all went on the Mayan adventure to Tulum, zip lining, rappelling, and snorkeling in a cavern. Again great trip and so much fun. Instead of a rehearsal dinner for the wedding, my daughter wanted to have a bonfire on the beach. The staff and Planner1 went out of there way to make sure the atmosphere, service, and setting was memorable.

Sunday, the day of the wedding! As the mother of the bride i wanted to be everywhere at once. My daughter and her friends spent the day at the spa. The spa is gorgeous and the hairdressers and makeup artists really know what they are doing. They were able to put up my hair in an updo that lasted the entire night.

Cecilia is a wonder. I had brought a few little extras to make the wedding more special. Cecilia just took those and set up everything. I had been expecting to do it myself so this was a welcome surprise. The DJ, music, staff all made it run so smooth. It was so much better than a wedding at home. My husband is a musician and when he gave his stamp of approval to the Caribbean trio , you knew they were great.

We stayed for three more days and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service was excellent and the resort planned so many activities that there was something to do each night. After experiencing the service, friendliness, and amenities at Secrets any other resorts will seem less than perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms were great. Swim up room was really nice, but no view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear guest,

Wow! what a beautiful pictures you have!

Congratulations for your daughter's wedding and thank you very much for the confidence you gave us chosing Secrets Maroma Beach for this very special and once in life ocassion.

I am very happy to know that Cecilia and all the banquets team made an excellent job during the ceremony and exceeded your expectations.

The time with the family is very important, SMB knows this that's why we try to create the perfect ambience in order that you can experiment the unlimited luxury, the relaxation and of course the entertainment without any worries.

We hope you can come to this your second home again in the future.

Warm regards,

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Secrets Maroma Beach
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed at SMB with my wife in June 2013 and as others have already mentioned, suffered somewhat from the weather, but I don't intend to dwell on that.
Rather than reiterate what many others have already stated, I will try and briefly outline the pros and cons of staying here.

Pros; Immaculately clean and tidy, excellent choice of food and endless proprietary banded cocktails. The staff were ALL excellent and even those with limited English really did try and help if you appeared lost or in need of assistance. The beach comprised of clean, white sand, with not a stone or pebble in sight, and a gently sloping, cordoned off swimming area. The entertainment was generally of a good quality, perhaps not West End standard, but good all the same. The service in the bars and restaurants was really stunning, perhaps the best I have experienced in the World, in which I include the Maldives and Dubai.
Cons; None really, but perhaps these comments will provide general information for many. The resort is at least a mile (2 Kms) or more from the main road (which is a dual carriageway), so if you are thinking of popping out to the local shops - forget it.
British people were outnumbered about 4 to 1 or more by American holiday makers, some of which could be a little loud and brash. Just be aware. British newspapers don't exist.
The hotel shop is somewhat basic and limited, so if you forget a toothbrush, shaving foam or deodorant etc, you may struggle a bit. Make sure you have everything before you leave home.
The free WiFi only really works well in the reception area, and is a bit 'hit and miss' in the rooms.
As the resort has an American bias, each of the rooms has a coffee maker - not a kettle, but a coffee maker, producing somewhat strong and bitter coffee. it may not be to the palate of some British guests.
My wife and I (both fair skinned) were bitten, but not extensively, by mosquitoes or other bugs, but we were unable to decide if this was in the room at night, or on the beach during the day and in fairness, there had been a tropical storm of late which flooded most of the grounds and which may have lead to an increase in the number of bugs.

These comments are not intended as a criticism, as the resort very nearly gets five star from me in terms of staff service, food and drink quality and general cleanliness, but just dips out from such a review for me thanks chiefly to only having a coffee maker, rather than a kettle in the rooms, the somewhat remoteness of the resort, and the rowdy behaviour of some of the other guests, although I accept, this may be outside the control of the hotel and may be more of a social awareness issue.

Room Tip: Stayed in Block 21 - near Reception. Quieter, yet the beach was only 400 metres away. Don't co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank foxeye1
Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

From the moment we arrived till we left we could not feel more relaxed. The room is outstanding, clean, spacious and well appointed. The bathroom is lovely and bed very comfortable. We arrived 2nd June having been diverted to Cozumel previous day due to unexpected bad storm. However when finally arrived day later were made very welcome and they had been informed of the delay and rearranged the transfers accordingly. Unfortunately due to exceptional bad weather, worst they had known for 7 years, it rained for the first 5 days, however awful this sounds it just made us chill out even more relaxing in our room watching films and eating great meals at all the restaurants. After this the weather was superb without any rain. All the staff work very hard to ensure all you want is provided to you as swiftly as possible and always with a welcome smile . Any room you have here will be ok. We were in block 14 which although was near the theatre, this was never a problem for noise and even then all shows stop around 10.30 anyway. If you want great surroundings, superb pool and fantastic long beach with terrific sand, do not hesitate to come here.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the swim up rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paul S
Dear Mr. Paul S,

Thank you very much for having chose Secrets Maroma Beach to spend your holidays.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us even during the days with bad weather we unfortunately had.

I would like to thak you for recognize the effort that our staff did during this unusual rain, certainly we are very prepared in this cases and we always try to keep providing the excellent service you deserve.

Please consider SMB as your second home.

Warm regards,

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Secrets Maroma Beach
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com
Ft. Smith
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a beautiful resort. But, our timing and the seemingly endless tropical storm at the beginning of June pretty much eliminated our outside activities for our stay.

We checked in on June 1st with a group of about 100 or so. They had a separate check in for our group and it took about 1 minute. There was snack food and a bar set up for us. This was a 5 star check in.

We were escorted to our room and our luggage arrived very quickly. Then, the rain started. Yes, I know, the resort can't do anything about the rain. But, for 3 days and nights, there were very few hours that it wasn't raining.

So, let me tell you about the inside life at SMB. The rooms are beautiful and clean. Our room didn't have any water issues at all. Some did. We were in 2534 and there is a covered walk way all the way to the main building, so that was nice. We still used the umbrella provided in the room, but some "spread out resorts" don't have covered walk ways, and this time I'm sure glad SMB did.

The Lobby Bar made good drinks and had fresh little peanut snacks for everyone. Ask for liquor by name or get the lesser stuff (like every bar in the world). The outdoor sports bar was fun, but would have been better without rain.

The Elvis show we saw was in the disco club and not the theater. I wished it was in the theater because I was forced to stand the entire show because there were more people than seats. I enjoyed the Elvis show, he doesn't take himself to seriously and he has a great voice.

The food at SMB is very good. I had the veal chop with French onion soup and crème brule' at the French restaurant and it was great. Had surf & turf at the seafood restaurant and it was very good. The steak house dinner was good but not great. Definitely eatable, just nothing to brag about. The service at all three restaurants was very good.

We didn't get to spend much time in the pool or at the beach and that's a shame. The beach was simply beautiful and the pools were the same. But, tropical storms aren't anybody's fault.

They did shut the elevators off and that was odd to me. One of the super nice concierge staff said they didn't want to get anybody stuck if the power went out. I guess that makes sense, but the power never went out and we got to walk two flights of stairs many times. Looking back, that's a good thing with all I ate and drank. I needed the stairs.

There was so much rain (well over a foot) that several of the swim up pools overflowed. I'm not talking about the pool overflowing into the garden, I'm talking about the gardens overflowing into the pools! Several of the swim up pools looked like ponds! Again, nobody's fault, but I was glad I had a 3rd floor room. I felt sorry for the staff that were going to have to clean up that mess and the honeymooners that paid for those swim up rooms. Some had to be relocated.

Would I go back to SMB? Yes. Is the food good? Yes. Are the rooms nice & clean? Yes. Just remember that hurricane season in Mexico starts June 1st and you just might get a ton of rain if you are unlucky.

Room Tip: Upper floors have ocean view. Swim up rooms have no view at all.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,963 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,870 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!