“Best Vacation Ever!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been to a lot of beautiful tropical places....all over Hawaii and the Caribbean. I thought there was no way Mexico could beat some of these places. Boy was I wrong! Secrets Maroma was by far the best vacation I have ever had. My husband and I went this May 11-17th and we cannot say enough great things about this resort!

Arrival: What a pleasure to arrive after a long day of traveling to someone immediately offering us a seat in the beautiful lobby to check-in. We were asked if we would like some cervezas (of course!) and then offered a cool towel and a glass of champagne. Amazing welcome! Check-in was quick and I was prepared for the whole time-share presentation pitch. We politely said we were not interested and they said no problem and led us to our room. They did call our room the next day to ask again. We told them no and we were never bothered again during our trip.

Grounds: Gorgeous! We wanted something serene and peaceful which is exactly what Secrets Maroma offers. Neutral colors, lots of trees and greenery, just totally peaceful and beautiful!

Room: Absolutely amazing. We had an ocean view room on the top floor. The room was so gorgeous and the patio was HUGE! We had a jacuzzi on the patio, along with a super comfortable couch/bed next to it. We really loved laying there at night looking up at the stars. Our room was the farthest back from the beach but we loved the location. It provided a full ocean view, plus a beautiful view of all the palm trees and the pretty lazy river running through the resort. It was a very short walk to the beach which is no problem at all. Once you are at the beach, there is no need to go back to the room all day anyway. Secrets' awesome staff will bring you food and drinks all day long :-) When we go back again, I would request a room in the same location for sure, it was perfect for us!

Beach: Literally the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Better than Hawaii, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. The sand is white and so soft. It's like walking on flour. No rocks at all! They sweep up the seaweed too so it really does look like a postcard. The water is a beautiful torquoise color and so clear and warm. The beach was so gorgeous that we literally spent all day long there for all 7 days. We wanted to soak up every single minute! Man, I am so missing that beach right now! We rented a beach bed 3 of the 7 days we were there. So worth it! To enjoy that perfect beach in your own private beach bed was amazing. It was our most favorite thing we did while we were there. On the days we didn't have the beach bed, we never had a problem finding a chair under an umbrella for some shade.

Food: Delicious!! The choices and quality of food here is really wonderful, especially for an all-inclusive. We tried all the restaurants. Our favorite was Himitsu and Bordeaux. We looked at this as an opportunity to try new things. We ordered multiple apps, entrees, desserts, etc. The smaller portion sizes make this possible without getting too totally stuffed! We also tried room service for breakfast and dinner and both were excellent. Love that Secret box for room service! We ate lunch at poolside when we didn't have a private beach bed for the day. The beach beds have a special menu. The shrimp and fish tacos were my fave. And don't get me started on the coconut ice cream. Ahhhhh I miss that so much! My husband and I would order ice cream before dinner. Because why not, we are on vacation ;-)

Entertainment: Go to the shows! My husband wasn't too excited to go at first, he's not one for that kind of thing. But he enjoyed it so much, we went every night! Go with a fun, outgoing attitiude and you will have a blast. The entertainment team is amaaaaaazing!!! They are SO much fun and their energy is contagious. We had the opportunity to talk to several of them and they are such great people. Never without a smile on their face. They really made sure everyone was having a great time!

Service: OMG the best customer service ever. EVER. Everyone was so nice and warm and made us feel so welcome. We heard "It's my pleasure" a million times. I wanted to say "No, it's OUR pleasure!" Special thank you to Fabian, Fernando, Humberto and Daniel. The service, friendliness, and awesomeness of these guys was seriously out of this world. They are such great people and made our trip absolutely perfect. We miss them already!!!

Tips: Rent the beach cabanas a few weeks ahead of time, I promise they are worth it! Bring bug spray. We got bit pretty good by mosquitos every night. If you can swing it, bring a bunch of 1's. Although we never ever felt like anyone was expecting it, a few bucks here and there for the awesome staff was so appreciated. Go to the nightly shows and get to know the entertainment staff, they are really fun, great people!

Overall: If you are looking for a gorgeous resort with the most perfect beach ever, delicious food, and the most amazing people and customer service, this is the place for you. I cannot wait to go back. Seriously. This resort exceeded my expectations in every way. We have only been back a few weeks and I am already missing it! I even had a dream the other night that we were still there and when I woke up at home I was super sad, lol. Cannot wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin O
Write a ReviewReviews (12,615)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our 2nd time to Secrets Maroma Beach. We had such a wonderful time 2 years ago that we returned May 2013 for our honeymoon. We stayed in the same room we had before, junior swim out room by the beach. We had Carlos as our concierge 2 years ago and he was excellent! When we returned, Carlos remembered us and introduced us to Cesar who took care of us on this trip. Cesar was as awesome as Carlos and he provided us with excellent customer service! So good that we signed on with Danny with the Vacation Club so we could return again as well as check out the other Secrets resorts. Danny was not pushy so we did not feel pressured to buy into the club. Danny was an excellent representative for the Vacation Club. We received excellent service from Ivan in the Preferred Club, Lidia and Lilliana in the coffee shop-every morning, mid day and sometimes in the evening, they knew what we wanted and would prepare our drinks, just the way we like them! We were on our honeymoon and our housecleaner, Antonia made a heart towel art with rosé petals and had it on our bed when she thoroughly cleaned our room daily. She was such a sweetheart! The day before we left, she did another towel art of swans kissing with fresh flowers. We also had a favorite waiter, Darwin, who served us at the Italian restaurant. He was absolutely adorable and so friendly! Neydi was our cocktail waitress that always served us and provided us with excellent drinks and service. The food, drinks, our swim out pool, service from staff were beyond excellent! We LOVE this place
and do plan on returning again! This is definitely the nicest luxury hotel on Maroma Beach. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank billkelwaters
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I had the absolute pleasure of honeymooning at Secrets Maroma in May of this year. What a wonderful experience - from the gorgeous beach, to the secluded swim up suites and the unbelievable A La Carte restaurants all of our expectations were exceeded! The lovely staff provides service that is second to none (only comparable in my books is LeBlanc, Cancun). I would highly recommend the Italian Restaurant -Porto Fino, the Japanese Restaurant - Himitsu and the beautiful buffets from the World Cafe. The staff could not be more pleasant and I especially enjoyed the friendly service provided by Anna & Paula - who kept the drinks coming at the Beach; Freddie at the World Cafe who greeted us every morning with a smile and a Baileys for my coffee; and the knowledgeable and smiling Pedro from Himitsu! I'm trying to convince my husband that I should always be called "Lady" from now on! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so perfect!

Room Tip: The swim-up suites are beautiful in the morning when you can take your coffee out on the secluded ba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Lou R
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Ms. Mary Lou R,

Congratulations for your wedding! We are very glad you experienced a beautiful stay with us and enjoyed the sense of the romance environment in this paradise.

Thank you very much for mention Paula, Anna, Freddie and Pedro, we have an amazing team of hard workers who enjoy their job creating beautiful memories for our guest.

We are also glad you liked our restaurants. did you tried the Bordeaux, French cuisine? If not, you have to make sure that during your next trip you will do it.

There is no better ocassion to come back than your 1rst. Anniversary.

Looking forward to serve you back in paradise.

Info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here with another couple for 5 nights, May 22-27. We stayed in a Preferred Club Ocean View Junior Suite room and it was superb. The room was so inviting and the view from our third floor balcony of the beach and the gleaming saphire Caribbean water was absolutely unbelievable. The food at all the restaurants was AAA++ and the service was amazing. Everyone from our private concierge to the waiters treated us as if we were royalty. The evening entertainment each night was fun too! Our agent had told us that Maroma boasted the most beautiful beach area and she was 1000% correct. We would definitely stay at this resort again!!! If there is one negative thing we would say it is that certain staff members were overtly pushy about us attending a 90 minute presentation on the Secrets resorts. They said it was not a timeshare presentation, but in talking to others, it is what they now call Vacation Home package sales. We had to say no several times and it became so annoying that we called the Preferred Club representative and asked them to "call off the dogs". The pressure stopped instantly and no one again approached any of us. If you just say no right away and not sound the least bit interested, I believe you will not be bothered by the staff to attend the presentations. We made the mistake at first to appear to be interested.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Preferred Club ocean view junior suites.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank linkdog

Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chose Secrets Maroma Beach as your vacation destination and also for recognize the excellent service from our employees and co workers.

Your comments are the way to know how are we going and where we should go, thank you for give us the oportunity to be your host and participate at least a little in your vacation memories.

Please do not forget thet Secrets Maroma Beach is your second home and the place to spend the hollidays.

Best regards,

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sorry this report is a bit delayed, but I do want to give Secrets Maroma the review it deserves. My husband and I stayed the first week of November 2012 for 8 nights and truly had a wonderful time. We like the finer things in life, but also have very realistic approach to any vacation. I read some reports and think people are just being too picky and unrealistic. You are on an exotic beach, on vacation, just sit back and enjoy it :) Here is what we thought:

FOOD/BEV
Let me just say that my husband and I are foodies and we have dined at many wonderful restaurants and Secrets lived up to the hype. We know that going to an all-inclusive the food isn't going to be the best of any dish you have ever had, BUT you absolutely will have a wonderful meal every night. IT IS GREAT FOOD :) The drinks were wonderful and don't be afraid to ask for top shelf. We ate at every restaurant/bar and ordered room service and had no complaints. We also ordered 3 dinners between the two of us some nights since the portions can be small. ORDER THE COCONUT ice cream while at the pool! Mexican desserts aren't as sweet as we are used to in the States, but this ice cream was such a wonderful treat during the afternoon hours at the pool. Definitely my favorite!

ROOMS
We did the preferred club jr swim out and we were pleased. I can say we never really used it so when we go back, we will try for a room on levels 3 or 4 to try and get views of the ocean. But it was private, room service came daily, our mini fridge was always restocked, had plenty of towels, water pressure and temperature were to our liking. We did have an issue one day with the AC, but they came out within 20-30 mins of our call to fix it and we had no issues the rest of our stay. We never ran in to issues with mosquitos. At least not in November.

BEACH/POOL
We spent the mornings at the beach, then would move to the pool after lunch. It was a great balance. The beach was AMAZING! The staff was out several times a day sweeping up seaweed when necessary, the sand is clean and white, and the water temp was perfect! It was clear and refreshing and a highlight of the trip. We never had issues finding a beach chair or pool chair, no matter the time of day so I wouldn't stress over that. The middle of the week the resort was almost full, but we really didn't notice or mind.

Preferred Club
There are definitely benefits to the club, and we opted to splurge a little since it was our honeymoon. However, if traveling again we might not opt for PC next time. We didn't really utilize the lounge/computers as much as we could have. The check in was a nice touch, but I don't think I would have minded checking in like everyone else. It really is a preference, but know that you can't go wrong if you don't choice the club.

We will definitely go back to Secrets one day! Thank you again for a wonderful honeymoon. The staff deserve a ton of respect and recognition for all the hard work and long hours they put it!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachael S
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Gorgeous and secluded, yet convenient. Our beautiful and well appointed Jr. Suite adjacent to the pool was amazing (though there was a bit of a mildew/moisture odor in the suite probably because lower floor/adjacent to pool). If I get the opportunity to return, I would want to confirm that I could book a better ventilated unit. There are too many delicious restaurants to choose from and you may also request room service as we did our first morning, because we had all we could drink the previous evening! The staff is outstanding and they aim to please. We visited the resort as part of a wedding party (25-30 people) for a most memorable experience. All of the staff was gracious, accommodating, and patient with us whether fulfilliung our group or individual needs. Not typically a fan of "all inclusive" resorts, I was super pleased and pleasantly surprised by the quality of EVERYTHING at this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a well ventilated room. I guess my room was a little stagnant from being on the first floor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TINAis
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chose SMB!

I am very pleased that we exceeded your expectations as an AI. I really hope you can give us another chance to create amazing experiences for you again.

Regarding the humidity, we have different treatments or ways to solved that. Next time you come you will see the difference.

Just like you said our staff aim to please. At SMB we do what we most love to do: service.

Looking forward to serve you again.

Secrets Maroma Beach
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went April 14th - 17th. The other reviews are very accurate. We (my husband and I) have been to Secrets Silversands, Dreams Riviera Cancun, and Now Sapphire. I have to say Maroma has them beat, no question, as far as the beach. It's really only a few miles difference between the resorts but the water was so much clearer and no rocks! I just wish we'd brought our snorkels. The fish are visible as soon as you step into the water!

The staff was friendly. Our concierge wasn't around very often but we always found someone close by to help us w/ any questions. The drinks were very good. The pool bar was just okay, at the other resorts it's the main entertainment during the day. Here the music is mellow, the atmosphere quieter for most of the day. Definitely suited for an older crowd.

The food is good, lots of variety. It was neat how they brought food around at lunchtime...huge variety of things to eat around the pool. The birds were around but easily shooed away. Loved the CoCo Café for coffee!

The disco is what you make of it. We were there with 20 other people so we had a good time. The DJ was pretty accommodating.

The gym is excellent! It's air conditioned and the equipment is modern and in good shape. There's yoga out by the pool in the mornings.

Rooms were fine. We just had a standard room. The only thing that I really didn't like was that the toilet was small and closed in. If you opened the door, you overlooked the entire room - not just the bathroom - the entire room! It gets quite warm since the air kicks off when there's no activity (middle of the night, coming in from supper). A minor issue - we adapted :)

I doubt we'd go back to this resort b/c of the price. We loved the beach but the service, food, rooms, and pools were as nice or nicer (pools) at the other resorts.

Room Tip: If you can find a deal - definitely get oceanfront. The only way you'll see the water otherwise...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!