“Downright Luxurious”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Downright Luxurious”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is by far the best all inclusive for the price. I went on my honeymoon here and my wife and I both loved it. We mostly ate at the buffet since that had the best food for us. we sat on the beach or at the pool and ordered drinks most of the time. Adult sized drinks in regular sized glasses. The well tequila when I was there was Don Julio. They had a fantastic selection of tequilas that were included. every drink I could think of was included. I took one of the best naps of my life in the hanging beds they have near the beach. Its a mattress as nice as the one in the room, suspended from ropes, shaded by flowing linens, on the white sandy beach. incredible, it's making me miss it writing this review.

They take great care of their white sandy beaches with a daily cleaning right at sunrise. I went on a cool little scuba dive with a super cool dive-master right off the beach and 10 minutes in a boat. When I went scuba diving my wife went to the spa. It was so nice she took me there the next day. I like deep tissue massages the lady there worked me over during my massage. It felt so good. The event staff was one of the highlights of that place for me. My fiance and I did everything the event staff offered at some point during the week and it was well worth it. Shooting bow and arrows, tennis, beach soccer, bocce, so much. Pool volleyball every day. so much fun.

The entire resort was very clean and well maintained. The mattress was so good I took a picture of the tag so hopefully I'll buy one of my own someday. The restaurants and everything looked very clean. They even give kitchen tours a couple of times a week. room service is 24/7 with good choices on it. My wife and I abused that. One night between 11 pm and 3 am we put in 4 or 5 orders for drinks, ice cream, chicken quesodillas, fresh fruit and civiche.

The only reason I didn't give them five stars is that I think Secrets should treat their staff better. There were some people who were sick and couldn't take days off, one employee full on got injured and was working the next day. It just makes me feel bad to be waited on by people who are suffering.

But otherwise it was great!

Room Tip: if you can go for the first floor rooms that are the private swim out rooms. you share a soaking po...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jason D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,474)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Bad tummy day 3 again day 10. Had to see the doctor.
We were moved from the first swim up room room because it smelt damp and Mosquitos. Second room was better and higher. Staff excellent. Food seemed good. The Americans are fun but many have to get hammered because they think it's free!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stephen C
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having chose SMB and also for the time you took to write this review.
We are very sorry not to have meet your expectations. We are always trying to do better based on our guest's comments.

I appreciate you mention our staff as excellent and we sincerely hope you can give us another chance in the future in order to change your experience for better.

Warm regards,

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com
midwest
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have been to several resorts in Mexico and this was one of our favorites. We visited in Febr. and had traveled with a group of friends. We have also been to Jamaica but we like Mexico much better.
I will give my opinion on a few things:
Pools: who wouldn't enjoy a warm pool in February??......the heated pool was a huge plus and when it got warm in the afternoon, you could use the cooler pool. We all would have liked more music by the pool. It was very quiet. I know they do this for those reading books, but we felt that those people could find a quiet place to read if they looked around........we do not go on vacation to get peace & quiet. We like some action. We have never been to a resort where the "towel game" was not a problem. Secrets Maroma - you have that figured out - good for you!! Our group was sad each day when the pool VB net was taken down-we would have liked to play more pool VB - again I think they do this for the "book readers" - so sad.
Beach: Excellent! Our beach service could not have been better. Several times, we were taken to our chairs and had towels tucked around cushion, etc. - what service. Bar service was also the best. The beach is kept very clean.
Rooms: Comfortable bed, very clean - no complaints. We had swim up rooms and loved them. Our friends were all close by which made it even more fun.
Food: We had great food and tried every restaurant except the Mexican. Service was very good & everyone worked hard to please. I took a sushi class with Sasha & Gabbi and they entertained us while making awesome suchi. The food at the Barefoot grill was great & we ate lunch there most every day. There is a problem with the birds taking your food though.
Shows: We went to most of the shows and they were very good. The staff puts so much energy into them after working all day teaching class and entertaining guests.
Sasha was so full of energy and kept us laughing. Ferminator & Elvis were also great and were always there if we needed something. We enjoyed doing activities that these three were in charge of. Great fun!
We really had no big complaints - it was a great week of fun & relaxation. We would go back in a heartbeat if possible. It was more than we normally pay for a vacation but would love to go back some day. Thank you Secrets Maroma!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank rmaj10
Toronto
Reviewed May 6, 2013

For the first time ever, we decided to “do a repeat”. We like to try new places, but Secrets Maroma was so amazing when we went the first time back in 2010 that we just had to try it again. Well, it didn’t disappoint.

We were greeted with the usual cold towel/sparkling wine combo in a wonderfully air conditioned and beautifully decorated Preferred Club area. The only change here that we noticed from the last time is that they added card access to this lounge which they didn’t have before. Made sense to me. I figure if you didn’t fork out the extra money to stay in the Preferred Club, you should not have access to the club lounge. They did provide open access to everyone on a very rainy, stormy day if only to provide an additional space and we had no issues with that.

The room they gave us (2549) was amazing! It was just like the previous room we had, except this one was a corner room, so we had a great view from the front of the balcony and another view onto the ocean from the side. It was an added bonus that we had no neighbours on one side. It was very private and I loved starting the day with an in-room coffee (Nespresso machines – awesome!) on the balcony and spending time with my husband in the evenings there. One suggestion I would like to make is to perhaps get larger tables for the balcony so that one could enjoy a room service breakfast out there. As it stands right now, the table that is out on the Preferred Club balconies is very small and is only good for a couple of drinks.

The addition of a mini golf course, ping pong table in the shallow pool by the Sugar Reef and moving the small gym over to a larger space were some notable changes from our last trip and of course the addition of hammocks in the walking paths was great too. These changes were very much appreciated and show the continuous efforts that they have put into making this resort a AAA Five Diamond hotel. Beauty and Luxury abound all around you. The gardens have grown considerably and are taken very good care of by the hard-working grounds crew. The pools were amazing and very refreshing. The beach is even more beautiful than I remembered and even though we are mostly pool people, we definitely loved the beach and hung out there every day.

The quality of service seemed to have slipped a bit, but it is entirely possible that this was due to the very high occupancy rate at the start of our vacation. After a couple of days, the amount of people at the resort was considerably less and the service picked back up. The staff at the restaurants and bars was always attentive and did a great job overall. Service never reached the level that we had back in 2010 which was simply phenomenal. We also noticed that this time around there were no servers coming around the pools with offers of snacks or desserts which was a nice touch before.

Food is a very important part of our trips and once again, Secrets did not disappoint – although I must say, the second time around it was not as consistent as the first. Certain odd combinations such as “Lamb in Crustacean sauce” can be quite the disturbing surprise should you fail to read the menu completely. There were a couple of items that just weren’t quite up to par, while other items were delicious. Don’t expect the food to be 5-star dining even though it is presented beautifully, but make sure to keep an open mind and understand that they are making food for a large number of tastes. Due to the sheer variety of dishes however, you are bound to find something delicious. Breakfasts at the World Café are still out of this world.

Also – for those of you who have read the many reviews here that mention the bumpy road that leads to the resort – good news! While we were there, there were crews of workers fixing this issue and the road is being tiled. This should definitely complete the look and feel of the place.

I would say this visit was as good as the first time only for different reasons. I would still highly recommend it as a place to reconnect with your loved one and de-stress from the routines of life. It was also nice to see that they are still very gay friendly and this time were were not the only same-gender couple there. Overall, great trip! Don’t even hesitate to book!

Room Tip: Try to avoid building 25. You can pretty much see every balcony clearly from building 26. Otherwis...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nabestag
Columbia, Missouri, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our first stay at an all inclusive resort. It was incredible! The rooms were great, the beach was wonderful and the staff was unbelieveable! From the man mowing the lawn to upper management we were always greeted with a smile and a hello. No one acted as though they expected a tip and all seemed very happy to be working there. The only negative was the time between courses at the restaurants. It seemed a bit excessive. All the restaurants were good but the Japanese steakhouse was really just average. The shows were entertaining, probably typical cruise ship fare. We are looking forward to returning for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Ocean view has a decent view of the water but is not right on the beach. Try to stay on the 3rd or...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe S
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our second stay at this resort, celebrating our second anniversary (our honeymoon was our first trip). We booked here because of the fantastic time that we had during our first stay, and we were not disappointed this time around either. It was the same great service that we have come to expect at this resort and they had added a few things as well. There was a mini-golf course that was new as well as some new activities and shows.

We booked a swim-out room this time instead of the upper level ocean view that we booked last time. While the swim-out was nice and convenient, our preference was the view and the breeze that you get with the ocean view room. There was also less hallway noise since the carts for room service would sometimes have to travel past our door late at night, which is expected.

The spa has fantastic, as was the dining. We spent a little extra money on the private dinner by the beach as well as the private table by the pool at Oceania, and they were both worth the experience. We took a one day trip to Xplor which is about twenty minutes away to do zip-lining, ATV driving through the jungle, and swimming/rafting in the underground rivers. The trip was well worth the price of admission, as we had a blast. If you book this trip, I would recommend buying the admission tickets only without the tour bus, and booking a separate cab to take you there. It costs about $40 more for two people, but you can show up when you like, and leave when you like instead of being on their schedule of 9 am - 6 pm. We were done with all of the activities by 2:30 pm and were ready to go back to the resort, but we would have had to stay until 6 pm if we hadn't booked the separate cab.

The only negative comment we had was that our room wasn't ready until around 4 pm on our day of arrival. We arrived at the resort around 12:30 pm and we weren't able to change into our swim clothes because they were in our bag. I would recommend backing the suits separately so that you can change once you get there in the event that your room isn't ready.

Overall, we had another fantastic vacation at Secrets Maroma and plan to continue to book our future vacations at this resort, it's simply the best luxury you can get for the cost in this area. There is a reason it's rated #1 every year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mafa02
Andreas, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was the first time my husband and I visited Mexico and our first time at an all inclusive resort. We found everything from check-in to departure to be top notch. Each and every employee we encountered was wonderful and made sure our every need was taken care of. We traveled with family and friends who have visited Secrets Maroma before so it came highly recommended. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the ocean. We especially enjoyed our time on the beach relaxing and enjoying the surf and cool breeze. The restaurants offered a wide selection of food including Italian, Asian, Mexican and surf and turf. We will definitely be returning to Secrets Maroma for our next trip to Mexico!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room in building 23 which was beautiful but we were so excited to get on the be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lee Ann P,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chose secrets Maroma Beach to spend your vacation.

We are glad to know that you felt our hospitality, for us is very important to make you feel like home trough our services.

We are looking forward to see you again in a near future.

Rafael Cordova
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!