“Honeymoon in paradise”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My new husband and I had never been out of the United States before now. This resort is like "couples retreat" the movie. It is beautiful, the staff is so happy polite funny and entertaining. Mini, Mani, Bambi and all the other entertainment staff really made our trip. The Spanish lessons, pool volleyball, concerts, fire dancer show and other activities were all so fun. The food is excellent and all presented in a beautiful way. Room service is timely and hot and also presented in the same way. The beach is so clean and wonderful, we have never had a problem getting a beach chair or pool chair and the staff helps you lay out your towel and assists you with everything you need, drinks food umbrella. We got upgraded to a swim up room, its nice to have your own pool for night time because at night the pools sort of shut down. Overall just a great experience. I recommend this resort to anyone looking to relax and witness beautiful views and a fun time.

Room Tip: Choose a later flight time because your room will not be ready until 3, we got to the resort on no s...
2  Thank Morgan B

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Having travelled a lot we both have fairly high standards and we loved secrets maroma! The beach is paradise, food is generally excellent, lovely modern bars and restaurants, rooms are nice. What really made the holiday was the friendly relaxed atmosphere, attentive staff and the little touches.
For example, everyone we spoke to loved turn down! They bring the curtains across your four poster bed, set out your robes etc. The night we had our 'romantic dinner on the beach' we even came back to rose petals on the bed. You can hire little private huts on the beach for the day with your name above the entrance, cute for honeymoons. Someone spends all day sweeping the wooden paths on the beach... I could go on...
The lobster tacos in El Patio were the best!! Alberto our server in Himitsu was amazing, Bambi of the entertainment team was always on form. We had great service in the French restaurant but the food wasn't quite as high standard as I hoped (please could you serve fondue in a proper fondue set with some veg or something guys?!). Pool waiter service was regular, my husband lived the Mango No cocktails!!
We also really enjoyed yoga despite being beginners.. we are not normally in to group activities on hols but there is genuinely something for everyone, we did sushi making too!
I just saw the previous review and the complaint and have to say there were no mosquitoes. I did get a couple of bites walking around (ants?).. no biggy! And the raccoon things are an amusing talking point, no nuisance.

1  Thank kathryn_uk1234
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Where to start, this place is truly amazing. I spent days researching our honeymoon and after a recommendation from a friend we decided to go with Secrets Maroma.

Firstly on arrival were handed cold towels and champagne. When arriving to the room we had champagne on ice with strawberries, needless to say we hit the beers in the fridge. The rooms were lovely, so quiet and peaceful. The palm trees are quite dense and the view wasn't great but we were on honeymoon and were pleased to have the privacy. You only need step out the door to get views and see activity.

The pool was amazing, alhough being late rises we did often struggle to get a sun bed but it was so lovely in the pool we'd often share a bed, jump in the pool and wait for another bed to come free. We used to circuit around the pool working our way from one pool bar to the other, the cocktails are amazing, we drank them all day long.

The pool and beach are both amazing. We didn't swim much in the sea because the pool was so lovely.

The pool BBQ food was amazing, such a good selection. I also gained an obsession with the ice cream machine at the bar, so yummy.

The food in every restaurant was lovely and I think those that fault it maybe just didn't like the food rather than it being a criticism of the chef. Our favourite was the Japanese, both the restaurant tables and the surf and turf table, we did both.

The SPA was lovely, I'd recommend the pedicure, it was fantastic after 4 days walking around Vegas. The hydro pools were also fun. We went to the SPA a day when the weather was not so great.

The evenings we spent a lot of time in the lobby bar sitting on the veranda. We didn't par take much in the hotel entertainment but we heard lots good things about it.

BE WARNED, I got attacked my mosquitos and probably got biten over 50 times all over my body. However I did not prepare for this and went out on the first night with no repellent and got attacked. We never actually saw them or heard them, they must be quite small, but the bites were big and often woke me up in the night. Therefore I would highly recommend being prepared before you go and take anti histemin tablets before you go and whilst there and also take spray, bite cream and maybe even a candle for your room. I think because we sat outside at night on the veranda I got it worse. This is not a complaint, in exotic places you have to be prepared for these things, but I wasn't prepared 1 bit and got attacked.

To conclude the best honeymoon we could have asked for, we loved it so much we never even left the resort.

I suspect our holidays going forward will be very hard to beat this.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carol P
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Ms. Carol P,

Thank you very much for your great comments. We are very glad that you enjoyed your time in this your second home in paradise!

We hope you can come again this september and celebrate with us your first anniversary and this time discover our fantastic entertaiment team, have fun with them and enjoy the variety of our shows.
We are sure you will be happy relaxing in our SPA or in the pool.

Once again, thank you very much for the opportunity you gave us to be part of your celebration.

Rafael Córdova
Resident Manager
info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Maroma for 6 nights in April 2013 for our honeymoon. Let me start out by saying dont be fooled by all of the tripadvisor reviews, they tell you to review them all day every day and you can even get massages if you do. When we first arrived we were on a high from the perious 6 nights that we stayed at the Excellence Rivera Cancun where we were married and everything was beyond perfect. Once we checked in to Secrests we were is dissapointed that we called the Excellence and tried to go back, unfortantely they were sold out. Now on to my review

1)Check in- Takes FOREVER! First you see the bell boy who takes your luggage, then the check in desk were you think everything is great, then they move you on to another person who sits you down at a bar to basically try to get you to go to a time share presentaion. (they lost me there, i do not want to be approached about time shares within the first 15 mins of arriving) once that was over they set us free to wonder around and hopefully find our room. Once we did, another person (consigire) came to our room to show us the ins and outs (this took an additional 25 mins) then finally the bags arrived. So 2 hours later we had our stufd and were checked in.
2)Location- This is located in a very wooded area thus there are alot of animals and insects (unlike the Excellence) I had a spider in my bed for the first 2 nights that attacked me, there were mosquitos everywhere at night, the birds were aggressive and eat your food off of your plate, and there are little racoon things that run around your room and pool all day and night. They are used to people so they get a little too close for comfort, expecally since they are wild animals.
3)Sleeping- LOUD! If you like to take naps this is not the place for you. The food carts sound like trains coming down the hall, the birds peck on your sliding doors, the water pipes make so much noise that they wake you up, the door bells from other rooms are rather loud, and you can hear staff and guests talking/yelling all day in the hallways. At night it gets a little better as people are sleeping and the birds sleep but you will still hear the carts and pipes. If you have your do not distribe on they wont knock on the door but they will call you and wake you up if they need something (happend 4 out of 6 days) They bed is ok, stiff but not hard, the pillows are great~
4)Pool- There is basically only one pool, and not enough chairs, you have to fight for them every day, very frustrating. Also if you dont like the croud there isnt an option for another pool besides your swim up which in my option is uselss, it only has one chair and is in the shade the whole day. who wants to sit in the dark by themselves all day on a couples vacation.
5)Beach- very pretty but again not enough chairs and the chair they do have are way way too close together. There are a ton of europens and smokers are this resort and most feel its ok to smoke in thier beach chair right next to everyone else. This happened all day every day. NO PRIVACY at the beach
6) Food- we both got food poisiong there and know if at least 3 other people who did as well. Besides that the food was ok, average all inclusive food. We have had much better at other resorts
7)Spa- was very nice but the water treatment leaves much to be desired, again after being at the excellence resort we were spoiled on the water treatment as it was a milllion times better.
8)Staff- the staff was very uplesent until they fighured out we tipped well. Once the work got around they started treating us pretty well. "Cheers to buying your way to happiness"
9)Night shows- These were excellenct! The one positive thing I can say about this place was the night shows. they were great, well prepared, and fun!

Overall "When you know better you do better" We will never be returning to this resort and would not reccomend it. I believe that if we had not been to the riviera maya multiple times and stayed at multiple resorts that we liked better we probably would have thought this resort was nice, and I suspect thats the case for many of the good reviews. Bottom line If you want a better resort for less money I suggest the Excellence

Room Tip: Swim up is not worth it club rooms are also not worth the money
10  Thank cclovesmexico
Reviewed April 30, 2013

As quite a critical traveller I was surprised that after the end of our 10 day stay I could not find anything to pick fault with. The hotel is quite away from the main road but we found some residents didn't leave the resort! For us, as we take many excursions, you are picked up anyway. A taxi to Playa Carmen was approx US$25 each way if you want to go it alone & explore 5th Ave. The service at the hotel was exceptional, and never waivered whether you tipped or not. We had our favourite restaurant (French) but all were consistently good. The evening entertainment was great and you choose whether to participate as shows are mostly held in the little 'theatre' rather than at the main bar as is often at other resorts. We were extremely impressed by the whole experience staying here.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lettus
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Upon arrival at Secrets Maroma Beach we were impressed by concierge who provided us with a cooling towel and a glass of champagne; however, we were quickly informed that we had been "upgraded" to a swim-out room which was not our request. We specifically booked a room with a balcony. We requested our mini bar be restocked which did not happen on a couple of different occasions. It took maids all day to clean room which was irritating when coming in from the beach only to find our room unclean. Food and drinks were good. Jean in concierge very helpful but unfortunately was not our concierge when we switched rooms, & we hardly saw our new concierge. Overall good resort but probably would not return.

• Stayed: April 2013
7  Thank Glowworm267
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed 9 days in this resort at the end of February and would highly recommend it. In summary, what we liked most of this resort was its outstanding beach, the food and the service which was AMAZING all along our stay. We are a Spanish couple living in London so this winter break was perfect! Since there are so many resorts on offer in the Riviera Maya, let me share with you my opinion on the different things that I consider important while choosing a resort and how good was this resort in each one of them:

1. Beach: probably the best part of the resort is its fantastic beach, rated one of the best in the Mayan Riviera and possibly the world. We’ve been to quite a few very nice beaches in several parts of the world and this one certainly ranks on or close to the top. The sand is white and does not actually burn your feet during the day. The water has a beautiful turquoise colour and its temperature is just perfect: cool enough to refresh you and warm enough for you to enjoy going swimming. It is safe to go for long walks either way of the resort as the beach goes on for miles and miles. We don't understand other comments about the service at the beach, there are waiters that bring you drinks whenever you want to, most of the time you don't need to call them, they come to ask you if you want something to drink. At lunchtime, one chef comes to the beach and serves barbeque style food. Water sports such as Windsurfing, kayak, sailing are available free of charge and there is a beach volleyball court where 1 morning and 1 afternoon matches are played between guests and entertainment staff. Beach towels are provided. The beach was probably the main reason for choosing this resort and we were not disappointed.

2. Pool area: there are two big pools, one of them heated. The hotel provides towels and there are plenty of beds to lie in. It gets full, so better to go just after breakfast to secure a bed, which is what we did. It is not possible to book a bed before going to breakfast and it was nice to see that this policy was enforced every day. Anyway, if you wake up reasonably early (which we did), you shouldn’t have any problems finding a bed. There is a pool volleyball game in the afternoon which is good fun and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Although we preferred the beach, the heated pool was nice. It has a bar and it is possible to drink inside the pool.

3. Food: since this is an All inclusive a la carte menu, you are able to choose what you want to have for lunch and dinner every day. Food is important for us during the holidays, and SMB exceed our expectations. We tried all the restaurants and the food was top notch in all of them + the decors of each restaurant were very nice. Furthermore, we were lucky enough to meet one night both sous- chef, Jesus Rendon and Carlos. Jesus treated us fabulous, he elaborated a set menu for us a couple of days and it was out of this world. He prepared fantastic dishes, nouvelle cuisine style, that tasted incredibly well and had only high quality ingredients. His talent is amazing and he was happy to accommodate his special menu to your tastes. We enjoy our stay even more thanks to him. For breakfast, there is a massive buffet menu with everything you can imagine. The highlight was the natural fruit juices and smoothies, the vast array of tropical fruits on offer, the crepes/pancakes and the omelette station. For lunch you could choose between the lunch buffet where you have a bit of everything and the pool restaurant which serves Mexican food (Tacos, burritos, fajitas…) and some fish/meat plates. Armando was our waiter more than once and I have to say that he is really efficient and nice. The guacamole you get as a starter is probably the best one I have had in my life. It is also possible to have lunch in your beach/pool bed if you don’t feel like going to the restaurant. For dinner, you have the choice of 6 restaurants (French, Italian, Mexican, steak, seafood, Japanese/teriyaki/sushi or buffet). All the options are delicious and the quality of the ingredients is top notch. Our preferred one was the French restaurant while the Oceana (seafood) was a close second. We don't agree with some reviews that critics the size of the meals. It is true that they aren't huge but you don't need it as you can ask for more if you want. That allows you to try different dishes. The only disappointing thing was the wine. From our point of view, the best white was the Mexican one and the best red the Chilean merlot. The bottles on offer (you have to pay for them) are extremely expensive, so we decided not to order any during our stay. It is a shame because we would have liked to enjoy a nice wine if it was priced more affordably (all the bottles were >50$, which is a lot, especially as the available wine is at no extra cost). It is possible to have cocktails or beer during lunch/dinner.

4. Room service was efficient and well executed. You have a menu with basic food such as burgers, burritos and some more elaborate plates. It is possible to have breakfast in the room and you can select whatever you can find in the buffet. We did it once and enjoyed it a lot in our terrace.

5. Drinks: premium brands on most drinks and nice cocktails, although only the banana based cocktails were done using natural fruit (all the other cocktails were done using liquors). If you like whisky, they have Johnnie Walker black label, which is what I usually had, alongside beers/cocktails during the day

6. Entertainment: The entertainment staff organises a lot of activities during the day from, mostly sports based, like beach/pool volleyball, kayak, yoga, aquaerobics…, that are good fun. The entertainment staff is really nice and fun. Manny, Alberto, Alfredo and Diana deserve special recognition for all their efforts. We are Spanish, so language was not an issue for us, but all of them spoke fluent English. At night, there is entertainment not to be missed, from Cirque du Soleil style acrobatics, to pop idol show or rock concerts. We thought it would be cheesy and usually never go to this type of entertainment, but on this occasion, it was well worth attending the events.

7. Resort: Our room was spotless, spacious, with nice double bed and Jacuzzi. The bed is very comfortable and is king size. Not the newest décor, but does the trick. The mini bar was replenished every day. There is one Nespresso machine in the room, which is great as it allows you to have a nice cup of coffee in the morning when you wake up and/or in the afternoon. The resort is big (>400 rooms) but spacious enough that it never feels overcrowded. It has a beautiful reception with a big bar where you can have a drink before/after dinner and relax during the rest of the day. There is a lot of garden space, a mini golf (good fun), 2 ping pong tables, board games, hammocks and plenty of tables/chairs to have a drink.

8. Service: All the employees are extremely friendly and go far out of their way to help you. Our concierge was very helpful whenever we needed something. Every single person we saw (from gardener to waiter and reception staff) smiled and greeted us every time.

9. Scuba Diving: I booked a trip to dive in the Cenotes (caverns with fresh water and impressive rock formations). The day trip was well organised and at a competitive price (actually cheaper than the price offered by nearby diving shops). There is the option to also go scuba diving to the reef that is 10 mins away by boat from the hotel, but I didn’t do it. If you are into diving, I would highly recommend going to Cenotes. Definitely one of the most amazing dives I’ve done in my life.

10. Spa: Have a lot of offers. My wife tried a couple of treatments and said they were good, specially the one to treat your skin for the sunburn.

11. Car Hire: the hotel has an AVIS representative one day we rented a car to go to Chitchen Itza. It was more difficult than it should have been to book a car as the representative was never around and it would be impossible to get hold of him over the phone. Once this was sorted, the car was waiting for us at the agreed time and we just left it at the front door when we returned from our trip. Chitchen Itza is an impressive work of art and definitely worth visiting while in Riviera Maya, although it takes 2.5h each way to get there so plan a full day trip. For a couple it is cheaper to rent a car than to book a bus excursion and it gives you freedom to stop on the way whenever you want. The road is safe and it is easy to drive in Mexico. The freeway is expensive (20 USD), but saves a good 30 minutes/trip.

12. Location: It takes 45 minutes to get to the resort from the airport. The hotel is not close to any small town, so you need to go by taxi to Playa del Carmen (nearest town, 15 km away) if you want to do some shopping or see some civilization. The hotel provides high quality night entertainment every night and we didn’t really miss going to town to have a drink. Plus the hotel has a nightclub if you feel like dancing, which we did some of the nights

13. Guests: mostly Americans and Canadian couples although there were a few groups of friends. It was rare to see Europeans or Mexicans. Age: 30-50. No child are allowed

All in all, we loved it and hope to come back. Our special thanks to Jesus Rendon, Manny, Alberto, Alfredo and Diana again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!