We stayed 9 days in this resort at the end of February and would highly recommend it. In summary, what we liked most of this resort was its outstanding beach, the food and the service which was AMAZING all along our stay. We are a Spanish couple living in London so this winter break was perfect! Since there are so many resorts on offer in the Riviera Maya, let me share with you my opinion on the different things that I consider important while choosing a resort and how good was this resort in each one of them:
1. Beach: probably the best part of the resort is its fantastic beach, rated one of the best in the Mayan Riviera and possibly the world. We’ve been to quite a few very nice beaches in several parts of the world and this one certainly ranks on or close to the top. The sand is white and does not actually burn your feet during the day. The water has a beautiful turquoise colour and its temperature is just perfect: cool enough to refresh you and warm enough for you to enjoy going swimming. It is safe to go for long walks either way of the resort as the beach goes on for miles and miles. We don't understand other comments about the service at the beach, there are waiters that bring you drinks whenever you want to, most of the time you don't need to call them, they come to ask you if you want something to drink. At lunchtime, one chef comes to the beach and serves barbeque style food. Water sports such as Windsurfing, kayak, sailing are available free of charge and there is a beach volleyball court where 1 morning and 1 afternoon matches are played between guests and entertainment staff. Beach towels are provided. The beach was probably the main reason for choosing this resort and we were not disappointed.
2. Pool area: there are two big pools, one of them heated. The hotel provides towels and there are plenty of beds to lie in. It gets full, so better to go just after breakfast to secure a bed, which is what we did. It is not possible to book a bed before going to breakfast and it was nice to see that this policy was enforced every day. Anyway, if you wake up reasonably early (which we did), you shouldn’t have any problems finding a bed. There is a pool volleyball game in the afternoon which is good fun and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Although we preferred the beach, the heated pool was nice. It has a bar and it is possible to drink inside the pool.
3. Food: since this is an All inclusive a la carte menu, you are able to choose what you want to have for lunch and dinner every day. Food is important for us during the holidays, and SMB exceed our expectations. We tried all the restaurants and the food was top notch in all of them + the decors of each restaurant were very nice. Furthermore, we were lucky enough to meet one night both sous- chef, Jesus Rendon and Carlos. Jesus treated us fabulous, he elaborated a set menu for us a couple of days and it was out of this world. He prepared fantastic dishes, nouvelle cuisine style, that tasted incredibly well and had only high quality ingredients. His talent is amazing and he was happy to accommodate his special menu to your tastes. We enjoy our stay even more thanks to him. For breakfast, there is a massive buffet menu with everything you can imagine. The highlight was the natural fruit juices and smoothies, the vast array of tropical fruits on offer, the crepes/pancakes and the omelette station. For lunch you could choose between the lunch buffet where you have a bit of everything and the pool restaurant which serves Mexican food (Tacos, burritos, fajitas…) and some fish/meat plates. Armando was our waiter more than once and I have to say that he is really efficient and nice. The guacamole you get as a starter is probably the best one I have had in my life. It is also possible to have lunch in your beach/pool bed if you don’t feel like going to the restaurant. For dinner, you have the choice of 6 restaurants (French, Italian, Mexican, steak, seafood, Japanese/teriyaki/sushi or buffet). All the options are delicious and the quality of the ingredients is top notch. Our preferred one was the French restaurant while the Oceana (seafood) was a close second. We don't agree with some reviews that critics the size of the meals. It is true that they aren't huge but you don't need it as you can ask for more if you want. That allows you to try different dishes. The only disappointing thing was the wine. From our point of view, the best white was the Mexican one and the best red the Chilean merlot. The bottles on offer (you have to pay for them) are extremely expensive, so we decided not to order any during our stay. It is a shame because we would have liked to enjoy a nice wine if it was priced more affordably (all the bottles were >50$, which is a lot, especially as the available wine is at no extra cost). It is possible to have cocktails or beer during lunch/dinner.
4. Room service was efficient and well executed. You have a menu with basic food such as burgers, burritos and some more elaborate plates. It is possible to have breakfast in the room and you can select whatever you can find in the buffet. We did it once and enjoyed it a lot in our terrace.
5. Drinks: premium brands on most drinks and nice cocktails, although only the banana based cocktails were done using natural fruit (all the other cocktails were done using liquors). If you like whisky, they have Johnnie Walker black label, which is what I usually had, alongside beers/cocktails during the day
6. Entertainment: The entertainment staff organises a lot of activities during the day from, mostly sports based, like beach/pool volleyball, kayak, yoga, aquaerobics…, that are good fun. The entertainment staff is really nice and fun. Manny, Alberto, Alfredo and Diana deserve special recognition for all their efforts. We are Spanish, so language was not an issue for us, but all of them spoke fluent English. At night, there is entertainment not to be missed, from Cirque du Soleil style acrobatics, to pop idol show or rock concerts. We thought it would be cheesy and usually never go to this type of entertainment, but on this occasion, it was well worth attending the events.
7. Resort: Our room was spotless, spacious, with nice double bed and Jacuzzi. The bed is very comfortable and is king size. Not the newest décor, but does the trick. The mini bar was replenished every day. There is one Nespresso machine in the room, which is great as it allows you to have a nice cup of coffee in the morning when you wake up and/or in the afternoon. The resort is big (>400 rooms) but spacious enough that it never feels overcrowded. It has a beautiful reception with a big bar where you can have a drink before/after dinner and relax during the rest of the day. There is a lot of garden space, a mini golf (good fun), 2 ping pong tables, board games, hammocks and plenty of tables/chairs to have a drink.
8. Service: All the employees are extremely friendly and go far out of their way to help you. Our concierge was very helpful whenever we needed something. Every single person we saw (from gardener to waiter and reception staff) smiled and greeted us every time.
9. Scuba Diving: I booked a trip to dive in the Cenotes (caverns with fresh water and impressive rock formations). The day trip was well organised and at a competitive price (actually cheaper than the price offered by nearby diving shops). There is the option to also go scuba diving to the reef that is 10 mins away by boat from the hotel, but I didn’t do it. If you are into diving, I would highly recommend going to Cenotes. Definitely one of the most amazing dives I’ve done in my life.
10. Spa: Have a lot of offers. My wife tried a couple of treatments and said they were good, specially the one to treat your skin for the sunburn.
11. Car Hire: the hotel has an AVIS representative one day we rented a car to go to Chitchen Itza. It was more difficult than it should have been to book a car as the representative was never around and it would be impossible to get hold of him over the phone. Once this was sorted, the car was waiting for us at the agreed time and we just left it at the front door when we returned from our trip. Chitchen Itza is an impressive work of art and definitely worth visiting while in Riviera Maya, although it takes 2.5h each way to get there so plan a full day trip. For a couple it is cheaper to rent a car than to book a bus excursion and it gives you freedom to stop on the way whenever you want. The road is safe and it is easy to drive in Mexico. The freeway is expensive (20 USD), but saves a good 30 minutes/trip.
12. Location: It takes 45 minutes to get to the resort from the airport. The hotel is not close to any small town, so you need to go by taxi to Playa del Carmen (nearest town, 15 km away) if you want to do some shopping or see some civilization. The hotel provides high quality night entertainment every night and we didn’t really miss going to town to have a drink. Plus the hotel has a nightclub if you feel like dancing, which we did some of the nights
13. Guests: mostly Americans and Canadian couples although there were a few groups of friends. It was rare to see Europeans or Mexicans. Age: 30-50. No child are allowed
All in all, we loved it and hope to come back. Our special thanks to Jesus Rendon, Manny, Alberto, Alfredo and Diana again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun is tucked away on secluded Maroma Beach, voted the World's Best Beach by the Travel Channel four years in a row. This unlimited-luxury heaven provides opulence to the most discerning traveler with a pure white sand beach, stunning ocean views stretching as far as the eye can see, elegant suites providing 24-hour room service, daily refreshed mini-bars and several of them with swim-out access to twelve smaller pools plus a shimmering infinity pool, gourmet dining options and chic lounges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun Hotel Playa Del Carmen