“WONDERFUL HOLIDAY”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Sorry it's a little late as we stayed in May of this year, but have just booked to go back again early May next year, so thought I should definitely place my review! Like others, we chose this resort on the back of T/A, as we do for all our holidays and were certainly not disappointed. After a long flight from London and the chaos at Cancun airport, we were delighted to arrive at Secrets Maroma and did not find the long road/track up to the hotel a negative - it just means you're a little more secluded than some other resorts - which suits us. The check in went smoothly and yes we were then greeted by a guy trying to sell us vouchers and timeshare, but politely told him that after travelling for 16+ hours all we wanted was to get to our room - so we weren't hassled. We booked a swim out as it was a special anniversay, and were in block 14 so we got full sun from about 8am-2pm in the afternoon. We did use it everyday, as did some others in our block, but mostly it was just us and we enjoyed the privacy, you don't have views but we still enjoyed the greenery of the plants and shrubs around our area and our water was warm. The room was spacious and adequate and very clean, the semi-open bathroom didn't bother us at all, as the toilet door was opaque anyway and you had double wooden doors out into the hallway, and a curtain between the huge bathtub and the room, so can't see the negative in this, unless you're not too familiar with the person sharing the room. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and they also had, what all hotels should have, a pillow menu. We loved the idea of the Secrets box, though to be honest most times that I ordered morning tea for my husband and asked for it to be left there, they seemed to always knock the door to bring it in the room, which kind of defeats the object, but for some room service it was left in there, and it was also nice to be able to put any used crockery etc in there to be collected without being disturbed - good idea. Next time, we've going for a sea view room only to be higher for a change.

We thought the eating options were excellent and overall the quality was good, obviously it's not going to be Michelin starred food, but nevertheless it was still good for AI and enjoyed most of our meals. Our favourites were probably Bordeaux and Himitsu, but also liked El Patio, Portofino, Oceana and the SeaSide Grill. The breakfast buffet in the World Cafe had an excellent choice of food with something for everyone, and you could also eat here for a buffet lunch if you preferred, again a good selection of food. Some evenings we did have a 30 min+ wait for a table at the A La Carte's, but hey ho we were on holiday, so it was off to the Lobby bar for a nice cocktail, listen to the pianist, and wait to be buzzed for our table, not really a hardship! We never felt pressurised into buying wine and kept to the glasses of house red and rose, which we found drinkable - and we enjoy good wines! They also have a super coffee/tea shop near the main lobby upstairs, which also serves a continental style breakfast if you prefer, and all types of tea and coffee all day long, to either have there, or take away, along with a lovely assortment of snacks - which you don't really need as there's so much on offer everywhere else, but to get a good tea and coffee (hot or iced) was lovely! The food by the pool or on the beach was very good also, and a few times the chefs actually came and set up the food stations on the beach, with all the salad items on ice, and some lovely steaks and burgers - you have to admire their hardwork and professionalism in that heat as the temperatures were up in the high 80's, I don't know how they did it - well done Chefs!

Most days we used the beach as we definitely prefer going in the sea, and never had problems getting a sun bed, but then we were down there around 9:30 each day, and there was always a plentiful supply of freshly laundered towels. The beach is beautiful and they regularly clear up any seaweed that may wash up. The sand stays so cool, which is amazing in that heat, and the water was so warm and clear and completely sandy underfoot with no stones or pebbles, and occasionally some little fish would swim up - it was perfect and matched some of the beautiful beaches of Asia where we usually go. I did use the infinity pool a couple of times as that was much quieter than the main pool and had the best view looking towards the sea, it was so relaxing using a 'floatie' and laying there, and again the water was warm. We never used the main pool or the swim up bar as this seemed to be fully occupied by the 'younger' set and was quite noisy, mainly as some of the entertainment programme was based there, but on the beach it was lovely and quiet!

The grounds are very well set out and we loved all the different areas, hammocks under a pergola with a very fine spray of water cooling you off, or a game of table tennis in shallow water - different! They do think of everything and there's certainly a very good animation team on hand that get you involved if you want to, we did a couple of things, but mainly went to read and relax, We did go on a couple of trips through a company we found on T/A - excellent - that did personalised tours, so got to places before the rush of tourists. Went to Tulum which is in a very stunning location and worth a visit, swam at the Dos Ojos cenotes, then with turtles in a quiet bay and had a beautiful meal out at Half Moon bay, but apart from this we stayed based at the hotel, as what more could you really want? We were going to venture into Playa del Carmen but were told by some other couples that it's quite tacky, we were also told that there's a guy there who has some exotic animals on leads for show and photos, so as I didn't want to get upset about animal welfare thought we give it a miss!!

The evening entertainment in the hotel is very good, and at 9:30 most evenings they put on a good show in their lovely theatre- we enjoyed Rock of Ages and the cirque Zumanity shows. They also hold a cinema some afternoons there, and through a long tropical storm we watched War Horse, whilst being served drinks and popcorn - they think of everything. You can certainly do as much or as little as you wish at Secrets.

The staff at the resort are excellent and work tirelessly to accommodate your needs, we had a lovely concierge called Christophe, who was actually from Nantes, and was very helpful and lovely to talk to. At breakfast Guillermina makes a wonderful omelette and had a lovely smile and Iliana was also always so welcoming, especially when I practised my Spanish! On the beach, Gasper, Marco, Amando, Urbano and Ana all worked hard and were constantly coming and renewing your drinks. A real character was Damian who worked in the Steak House and taught me some more Spanish....'my waiter is very handsome', good one Damian!!

We really don't have any negatives apart from the rowdiness of just a few of the guests! I don't need to hear young people swearing out loud, and you just don't expect it in a five star resort! A couple of times we chose to leave the beach a bit earlier and get a bed by the shallow pool areas, and both times our peace was broken by a group of American youngsters and surprisingly it was the girls whose language was the worst! Another time we were woken at 2am by another rowdy group (wedding party) who were waiting by the lift and stairwell, and were shouting, I waited ten minutes for it to subside, it didn't, so eventually opened our door and asked them politely to be quiet as some guests were actually trying to sleep, they looked at me blankly as if they didn't understand -only one guy apologised - they then continued to be noisy!! Don't people understand that you can have a good time without the need to shout and be loud, just be a little more thoughtful, especially when walking past other guests rooms late at night? But apart from this, it was peaceful and certainly the beach is lovely and quiet.

We didn't try out the spa last holiday but will definitely next time!

We found that Secrets Maroma certainly ticked most of boxes, very clean, comfortable room and bed, staff are very attentive, good food and drink options, beautiful grounds and excellent beach, great animation team and entertainment - and that's why we are returning next year - thank you Secrets!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our swim out - room 1415, it was very private and got good sun until early afternoon, and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (12,926)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I've been thinking about this review since I stepped foot on to the resort, as I relied heavily on TripAdvisor reviews when deciding on my destination. I hope this review will be helpful to you as you decide on your trip. My husband and I (in our early 30s) stayed at the resort December 20-December 28, 2012, and had a wonderful belated honeymoon/birthday celebration, not to mention celebrating Christmas here as well. I will make this easier to read by breaking it down by pros and cons. I will preface this by stating that we stayed in preferred club building 26, room 15 (swimout).

PROS (in no particular order)
1 - ARRIVAL: We pulled up to the front entrance (yes, there was a bumpy road to get there -- but we're in Mexico, not Beverly Hills!) and they already had our name (the driver gave it to the man at the front gate) and whisked us off via golf cart to the preferred club for check-in. We were given lavender scented, cool towels and champagne upon our arrival. Check-in was easy, and despite our early arrival we only waited 20 minutes for our room. We were shown to our room and Roberto, our fantastic concierge, showed us around the room and told us about reservations necessary at Himitsu, promptly getting us a reservation. Our bags arrived within minutes so we could change and head over to lunch.

2 - ROOM: Our room was perfect. The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows, and I am very picky about both. We had no problem with our AC, and enjoyed having the patio and pool right outside the doors. We also never had a problem having our room made up, as we left our room each day around 8:30 and returned late afternoon... No need to be in the room during the day when there are plenty of beds/seats OUTSIDE by the pool or beach.

3 - STAFF: You will see staff listed in both the pro and con section. We found Roberto, our concierge, to be absolutely fantastic. He always checked in with us and was ever so helpful. In general, the staff was helpful and friendly. I'm shocked by the people who have written about unfriendly staff members, as our experience was quite the opposite. However, there were some instances in which we found the staff unhelpful or pushy. Please see the "cons" section for that.

4 - POOLS/BEACH/GROUNDS: Phenomenal. I have been to the Caribbean many times, and this beach and pool were up there with some of the best. We enjoyed the beach palapas (40 USD per day) twice and enjoyed the beautiful view along with some privacy. We were treated amazingly by the beach staff. The pools were also very nice, however we did plan to get there by 9 a.m. every day to ensure a good spot.

5 - FOOD: While the food is not true "fine dining," it was better than I expected at an all-inclusive resort. I only had one meal that really left little to be desired (avoid the World Cafe at dinner). My top three choices in order would be: Bordeaux (French), Himitsu (Japanese), and Oceana (Seafood). Be aware that you CAN dine at Himitsu WITHOUT a reservation, just not at the teppanyaki tables, however I believe the selection away from the tables was much better than the set menu for teppanyaki. One quick note: we had a reservation at Himitsu and that evening I wasn't feeling well, so I had to forgo the dinner. The lovely hostess offered to send over room service from the menu at Himitsu and it was delivered promptly. That is the sort of experience we had with the staff at this resort -- they went out of their way to make us comfortable!

CONS
1 - STAFF: My only turnoff was the pushy "sales" staff. We avoided the $200 "resort credit" as I had read here that it was a false reality... Nothing is for free. In fact, they most certainly wanted to sell us on a vacation club. What I found most annoying was that even though we decided not to stop by the "VIP desk" to pickup our resort credit, they called us several times a day to try to get us to come in. Thankfully, I only answered the phone once, however each day when we returned to our room there were at least one or two hang-up messages on our phone from the VIP extension. After our 4th day, the messages stopped. What I learned is that these staff members work purely on commission, so they are desperate to get paid. I also learned that the rest of the staff get paid $5-$7 a day... That's it! So while it's not necessary to tip, it is nice to throw your favorites a few bucks if you can spare them. I sincerely disliked the spa salesman as well who walked around the pool and the beach each day to try to get people to sign up for a treatment. Additionally, while the entertainment staff were all very nice, they were a little annoying. If people want to participate in whatever was happening, they will -- you don't need to try to coerce them and then make them feel bad when they don't want to participate.

2 - WATER: We lost water in our room for more than a day. No one informed us that it was out, and no one told us when it MIGHT come back on. Unfortunately this happened on Roberto's day off, as I know he would have kept us in the loop. While we completely understand that a burst pipe happens every now and again, we would have liked better communication and some sort of discount on our bill. Yessica from the preferred club (I believe she is the manager) found me the night before I left and thoroughly apologized and gave us a complimentary two-night stay in a preferred club ocean view room to be used within the year. A two-night discount from our bill would have been far more preferable given that in order to use the two-night stay we will need to drop thousands of dollars to return.

3 - NOISE: I was told that during the first six nights of our eight-night stay that the resort was only at 40% capacity. During that time, the rooms were quiet aside from the birds that start chirping around 6 a.m. On our sixth day (Dec. 26) the resort was at capacity and things got quite a bit louder with larger groups arriving. There were people in the swimout room pools RIGHT outside our room laughing and chatting it up and it was very annoying as we tried to relax. Additionally, I was awoken several times during the night due to people partying on our last evening. 1:30 a.m., 3:30 a.m., and 5:30 a.m. If it wasn't our last night there and I wasn't so relaxed at that point, I would have been VERY disappointed. The halls echo every sound, so that only amplified everything.

While there were a couple of hiccups, overall his was a great trip. We would definitely return and would recommend to friends, however I would be wary of the busier times of the year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
20  Thank aridriscoll
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We decided to stay at Secrets Maroma for our 36th anniversary. This is not our first time in Mexico. We have been going there for over 10 years and staying at resorts that are 5 stars or higher. Let me say this resort is the finest in all catagories. From the time of arrival to the day we left we were pampered every day. Check-in was fast and the people friendly. Our building concierge (Caesar Montoya) was the most friendly and smiling person that we met. He always asks every day how you were doing and if there is anything he could get or do for us. Showed us our room and explained everything in it and also asked what we liked for the drinks in the fridge. He went over the top to make us feel welcome. Great job Ceasar! We had room service which was fast and they provided more than enough food. The door was decorated with a anniversary banner which was nice along with flowers and champane.We spent a lot of time at the pool and loved the way everone treated us. Paulo,Fabian and Jimmie would stop by and take care of any needs we had from openning the umbrella to getting and laying out towels on your chair. This was done every day for 10 days while we were there. They are very friendly and professional in what they do. The waiters did a fantastic job in remembering your drink and providing fast and friendly service.The grilled food by the pool was the best ever. The chef did an outstanding job cooking every day. They served everything from chicken,hamburgers,hot dogs,ribs,etc. They also had fruit,sushi,deserts,etc. They would take one day and have food carts by the pool with different types of food,and walk around to serve everyone.They would take a large tray of sushi and put it on a float in the pool and serve there as well. The food in the restaurants was very good. We never had a problem getting in every night.There may have been a wait if you went a little late but not more than 15 or 20 minutes. Our favorite was Oceanna because we love seafood.The server there (Damian G.) was so polite and friendly you could talk to him about anything.He would go out of his way to make sure you were enjoying dinner every day. Thanks Damian for the great service! The beach is the most beautiful one we have stayed at.They are out every morning making sure the beach looks good.There was no problems finding chairs any time of the day.The beach is level and extends into the ocean with out any drop offs for quite a while. I can see why this area is rated to have the best beaches.The entertainment team did an outstanding job every day.They are so friendly and they stop by to talk or get you involved in the daily activities. They also work well into the evening to make sure everyone has a great time.By the time we left I thought my wife was part of the entertainment team because she was always involved with all the daily activities.Thanks again E-Team.A special Thanks to Mr. Rafael Cordova and his assistant Denisse Vega for making this anniversary trip the most memorable one we have had. They went out of their way to make sure everything went fine while we were there. I would also like to say that Mr. Rafael Cardova has put together a fantastic team of employees who work very hard in their jobs and care about the people who vacation there. I know he walks the resort every morning to make sure everything is in order and still has time to stop and talk to the guests. That means a lot to us, and also why we will be going back again and again. Keep up the good work and let everyone there know we appreciate all that they do!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Sam S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Secrets in Jan 2010 what a great hotel and the food is the best I ever tasted in a all inclusive. The rooms and the service was top notch. The beach WOW ! Maroma bay is one of the nices beaches we have ever seen and we have traveled all over the world. Thiis place is very relaxing and if your looking to party late it's not for you. Is very romatic location.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank camaro1965
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Maroma Beach in August 2012. From the moment we arrived, until the second we left we had the most unbelievable time. The staff was always accommodating to anything we needed. The grounds are beautiful, and we made great friends while we were there. We will be back for our 1 year anniversary!

Room Tip: Preferred club was a great extra!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esmd80
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My spouse and I just returned from a week long stay at this resort. Our latest big trips have been to Hawaii over the last couple of years, but we decided to change it up this year. We selected this resort based on aggregated results from our research, especially from TA. It was our first trip to Mexico and our first all-inclusive venture. We stayed on the third floor of bldg 26 (preferred club access). To keep this brief, here are my top 5 pros and cons about this resort.

Top 5 Pros:
1- beach is terrific, views from our third floor balcony were very nice
2- location - an easy 30 min ride from the airport
3- aesthetics - grounds are attractive, pools are nice and property is well maintained
4- adult setting - love my kids, but enjoyed the break in an adult themed environment
5- spa - liked the hydrotherapy pools and enjoyed the treatments
6- ok, it's Top 6 now - we loved our room, which was a spacious suite with a comfortable canopy bed, a nice in room jacuzzi tub, a soaking tub on the balcony and that secret box for room service

Top 5 Cons:
1- resort credits were a complete rip off. We were given $200 in resort credit, but here's the exact breakdown. $100 in spa credit, but could only be used in 2 increments of $40 and 1 increment of $20 per spa service, excluding salon work like nails. No spa service available for less than $90, so you do the math for your "savings"... Also, $40 in wine credit, but in $10 increments per bottle and heaven forbid you forget to bring the coupon with you to dinner when you order a bottle. That's 4 bottles of wine minimum for an average of at least $60 per bottle to maximize the credit. The other $60 credit was toward the romantic dinner on the beach which ranged from $200-250. By the way, I went to the front desk on our last day and asked for the credit in $20 or 2 bottles of wine because I have forgotten the coupon. After having to escalate to a manager, 15 mins of discussion and an explanation that we are now down to principle since I'd spend more than $20 in tips that day, I finally received the credit. Unfortunately, that argument obliterated most of my opinion of this resort.
2- inflexibility on dining - thought we would like the freedom of no reservations, but the reality is that no matter what, you will be waiting 45 min to an hour anytime you want to eat, unless you want dinner at the equivalent of a Mexican K&W buffet every night. There is nowhere to run in and grab a quick salad or sandwich after a long day of excursions, as even room service will take at least 45 minutes.
3- quality of food and service was inconsistent - the Italian and French restaurants had the best food, and the Mexican place the best service, but the Japanese restaurant was a complete disaster for us. Undercooked filet and scallops, and three attempts on a drink refill and then finally just getting up and going to the bar to place a direct order.
4- service in general - ok, I know service is on here twice, but that's because it matters that much and we were doubly disappointed. We were expecting much more than we received, from the building concierge to the restaurants. We tipped very generously at every juncture, but didn't feel it was really appreciated or that most were going the extra mile.
5- while the nightly entertainment was high quality, the day entertainment was so-so. If pool volleyball twice a day is exciting to you, you'll be all set. The snorkeling wasn't available the day we wanted to go, and the weekly schedule of events we received upon arrival didn't match the actual daily calendar.

All in all, if you're looking for that all-inclusive cruise on land feel, you have average expectations, and you don't mind the gotchas with the resort credits and long waits for dinner, I think you'll be pleased with this resort.

Room Tip: Preferred club rooms have a great beach view. Get at least third or fourth floor. We checked every s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank careerm0m
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Loved my honeymoon! We were treated like royalty from the moment we got there. Every restaurant had amazing food...never a disappointment. We did a tequila-tasting at El Patio that was very educational and fun, from what I remember! The employees at the resort helped in planning our excursions. We visited Tulum, Chitchen Itza, Coba and Xcaret...all trips that were very safe and adventurous. The room we had was gorgeous. We had a swimup room which we never used because the sun never heated it up. The market place at night was nice, but some employees were a little pushy. Every where we went the facility was clean and I felt that the employees did all they could do to meet our expectations. If going there on a honeymoon, I recommend getting the romance package. We had a free breakfast delivered to our room and an awesome beachfront dinner. I highly recommend Secrets Maroma.

Room Tip: Choose a swim up room that is on the north side of the complex, that way the sun can heat up the poo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#12 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!