“First time to stay at an all inclusive resort”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hensley, Arkansas
“First time to stay at an all inclusive resort”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This resort is an all adult and perfect for couples looking for the romantic get away. Until this trip, my wife and I had only done cruises. For those of you who, like myself, are struggling with doing another cruise or trying something different, let me tell you that you will not be disappointed if you go here.

I think the biggest difference in the cruise and the all inclusive resort is money. The end price comes out about the same...or maybe a little more for the resort...but the big difference is that you never have to worry about "how much is this all going to cost?" At the end of the cruise, unless you keep strict track, you are bracing yourself for a huge bill. But with this all-inclusive experience, there are no "gotchas."

We did have extra expenses at the end but we chose those extras and were very happy with them.

Make sure and upgrade your stay to the preffered room. The room is not that much different from a jr. suite. In fact, in our case the upgrade cost a total of $200 for the week. The staff definitely treats you differently. You get "front of the line" treatment. The service and kindness of the staff at this place is amazing already but when you are preferred, in the words of a room service steward, "you pay extra money for this room and you deserve to have special treatment." The preferred upgrade is very minimal, includes access to the spa facilities and access to the preferred lounge (where the bar is the very best I have every been to) The bloody may is worth the cost of admitance alone. :) The lounge gives you direct access to additional resources in the event there is any issue. The staff are there to handle any issue large or small and will bend over backwards for you. In addition, the preferred club gives you other benefits...we had a beach side renewal of our vows. Minister, photographer, champagne, no extra charge. It was amazing. In addition, there is additional liguor in your room each day that is not there for others.

Even if you don't do preferred, I highly recommend this place.

Two additional things we did while there - we set up a romantic dinner on the beach one night and we rented a day bed on the beach one day.

The day bed - This cost an additional $40 and comes with your own butler who waits on you hand and foot. (unlimited food and drinks) The beach is already one of the most beautiful places on earth...to have a bed on the beach where you can lounge and be pampered was over the top. The wife LOVED it and I have to admit, so did I!

The romantic dinner - Make sure and make a reservation for this. This is an extra but worth it. The day bed canopies on the beach are transformed into private dinner table areas. You choose from 2 menu's...silver and gold. We went with the gold (surf and turf - lobster and steak) The steak was good but the lobster was the most amazing I have ever eaten. It was grilled to perfection right there on the beach AND was the biggest lobster tails we had ever seen. The waiters do everything to make the dinner as formal and romantic as possible. They were more than willing to take a few photos for us using our own camera. The dinner is an extra charge but we will budget for this going forward. We loved it.

Outside of these extras - there is enough food variety (and quality) to keep your taste buds entertained all week with several restaraunts. If you decide to be lazy...and you will...don't be afraid to use room service. They were prompt and the food was as good...or even better...than the restaraunts. We enjoyed steaks, grilled veges and salads right in the room. Was wonderful.

The entertainment staff is the friendliest on earth. (and one of the most talented) We saw a show while there "Rock of Ages" that had Vegas quality dancers and music. I was blown away.

The entire staff at these places must be on prozac or something because everyone but everyone is super friendly from the managers down to the janitors. The attitudes of the staff create a layed back happy atmosphere everywhere you go.

In short...this resort is everything they advertise and more. We will return. We hated to leave.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor and, in retrospect, we are glad we had a 4th floor view. The place is...
2 Thank JemmieR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,365)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I will start off by saying that I didn't have the best first impression of the resort. We actually expected "more" from the initial appearance/views driving up. We thought the lobby and buildings would be a little more "elegant" but none the less, once we stepped inside, we had an amazing honeymoon!
The staff and service were amazing! The weather was perfect - no humidity and slight breeze at night. Rooms were nice and clean. We had an ocean view and would probably select a swim out next time as the pool closes early (6 pm) so no late night swimming.
The food was delicious! We enjoyed every meal. Entertainment was fun and spa was incredible. Had some of the best massages ever!
Definitely would recommend staying here.

1 Thank klrtravels
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I went to this resort for a friends wedding with 23 friends. The resort is beautiful and 90% of the staff is multilingual and very helpful.
We quickly realized, however, the restaurants are not equipped to handle table of more than 6 at a time. This made eating together difficult, but we managed.
Our favorite place to eat was the Seaside grill/ Oceana. Fantastic food and quick service. Our least favorite place was the Italian restaurant. I couldn't eat most of my food because it was so horrible and the servers ran around haphazardly not really accomplishing much. Room service is available 24 hours a day and I did not find a item I didn't like!
Since we were in a preferred room we got a room closer to the beach, private concierge & club, and access to the spa hydrotherapy daily. The preferred club was with it alone to us because of the selection of fine liquors that we enjoy and breakfast was available an extra hour just for us. There were cute little animals that hung around (locals called them cautis) because of the fresh fruit in the club that people would sneak out to them. (Not suggested though)
If you go during this time of year it isn't very crowded, but bring mosquito repellent or be prepared to be eaten alive.
The spa is wonderful/peaceful/easy to access. We use the hydrotherapy which has 9 different areas. Fantastic! I suggest spending some time after in the quiet room sipping on hot teas and eating fresh fruit.
The entertainment crew is top notch. Alfredo, Lorena, and Fermin were our favorites. I highly suggest participating in anything they put on.
We will return if we go to Cancun again.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Christine F
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Well our second trip to the Wonderful Secrets Maroma Beach and we never thought we would be getting to know The Green Lantern and Scooby Doo. Both of those cats were Coco Loco from the AMF. Despite the beautiful weather there were often sightings of Iceburgs.
Those of you that have been hopefully know that I am referring to the cocktails that the bar staff does a great job of doing. Those of you going in the future, I recommend giving each one a try.
Our first visit to SMB was in May of 2009 right at the hight of swine flu. I was hesitant to write a review because of the influenza scare, things were quite different and we knew that. But just coming off a trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres, our expectations were high. We knew the possibilities the resort could provide had we were not there when in a goofy swine flu atmosphere. I also had expectations for this year given we did continue with our trip in 2009 despite many people canceling, making us returning guests. What happens when one has expectations....they usually are not lived up to. That is the sole reason I could only give 4 instead of 5 stars. If I could do 4.75 stars, I would but I have to reserve the 5 for that resort experience that just blows us away from every angle.
Ok enough with the ranting and on with the review:
We booked the Preferred Club Swim Out and had previously read of guests either requesting or just being assigned an ocean front building. I emailed the concierge prior to our arrival explaining we are returning guests and would very much like to be placed in one of the oceanfront buildings. When we booked, I did not see an option for a preferred club oceanFront room or I would have booked it. Anyone with a similar experience, I would love to hear from. When we arrived via Lomas Travel (Highly recommend), the check in was a bit mundane. Uneventful. Of course they welcomed us home but no champagne or towel and their was a short wait for the golf cart to take us to the Preferred Club Lounge. Again this portion was uneventful and very business like. We did get a glass of champagne and cool towel, however once in the PC lounge. I was happy to hear that the young lady checking us in was aware of my request for an oceanfront swim out, however that request would require additional money. I could have just said no and moved on but listened to what it would take to put us in 17 (beachfront building). I took the bait and tried to forget it and took the room in 17 for the extra upfront money.
The room was very nice, I could hear the ocean and walk a 15 second walk and see the ocean but hindsight, not sure I would make the same call.
The only other mild negative: my wife requested French Toast one morning for room service. It is not on the menu and they did not budge to accommodate. This would not be an issue but staying at other resorts this request is not a problem at all.
The vacation itself was amazing! The staff is simply fantastic! Roberto, our building 17 concierge was the absolute best we have ever had. We spent the money for the beachside bed ($40.00 a day) and honestly very worth it. Just getting to know the beach concierge Alejandro was worth it. He took care of anything and everything. It was a privilege to get to know him. He took care of everyone in the cabanas and yet you felt like he was right there in case you needed him for anything. Freddy, our waiter at the World Cafe on our last morning was absolutely fantastic. He made it that much harder to leave the resort. Jay C and “Bambi” with the entertainment staff straight up work. They bring the energy and the fun and ensure that you have a good time. Honestly, I could name a lot more but will sum it up that everyone just does a great job at SMB.
The food, the drinks, the room are all wonderful and can not be praised enough. The grounds are quite possibly the most meticulous we have seen. And the beach is absolutely gorgeous.

**Caution** The dudes on the beach with the parasail company not affiliated with the resort. Be careful, they sell 30 minutes for $150.00. We were lucky to get 30 minutes beach to beach with only 10 in the air. And after returning, the dude wanted me to go get him a couple of beers. Don’t do it! I saw it happen and it puts the resort staff in a bad spot.**

3 Thank BeachBumBish
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I will admit I was a little leary about going to Mexico as it was my first time there. It far exceeded my expectations! I've been all over the world and the beach in Maroma is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Gorgeous white sand, clear water, and not too crowded. The service at the resort was AMAZING. We came for our honeymoon (like most poeple there) and were treated like royalty. The staff all seemed genuinely happy to cater to whatever you asked for.

There were also a lot of great perks. They had drinks to greet us when we arrived, a bottle of champagne, etc. And along with the honeymoon package (free if you stay 7 nights and show proof of your wedding) we got a free private candlelight dinner on the beach, breakfast in bed, couples massage...the list of perks here goes on and on.

We stayed in a junior preferred swim-up suite and it was worth the upgrade. We loved having our own pool to come back to at night. Our bartender in the preferred lounge was Joel and he made some of the best drinks we had ever tasted. We would ask him to make us something good and he kept coming up with amazing concoctions. We miss Joel. :)

The food was great in all of the restaurants. We went to the Italian restaurant twice and tried most of the others. Our concierge Fabiola (building 26) was also great and helped us plan out our activities for the week.

I can't say a bad thing about this resort. We are already hoping to go back for our first anniversary!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nfanel
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I went to Secrets Maroma Beach for our 3rd wedding anniversary. We stayed 7 nights and traveled September 29th through October 6th. We're 29 years old. This was by far the most amazing vacation that we've ever been on (and we've been to Belize, the Greek islands, and the Bahamas).

The service is impeccable. Each and every single person on the staff just wants to accomodate you. They will bring you anything that you want and reply to each request with "It's a pleasure!"

We got a swim-up room and it was beautiful. The room - as well as the entire property - is extremely well kept and clean. Our room was cleaned well each day and we had turn-down service each night, which was a nice treat. Each building has its own concierge. Ours for building #24 was Romina, and she was amazing.

The food was AMAZING. Our favorite restaurants were the Italian restaurant, Hibachi, and steakhouse. The portions are on the smaller side, which is nice because you can order an appetizer, main course, and dessert and not be stuffed. After a buffet breakfast (which has more delicious options than I thought possible), there is a constant stream of food during the day at the pool, so it's also nice to eat a smaller dinner.

The drinks are plenty strong, not watered down. They're served in large, tropical glasses. Every concoction we had was better than the last! The beer selection was also really good too, which my husband appreciated. There are options to buy "better" wine with dinner, but we stuck to the house wine, which was actually really good.

The entertainment staff was really great. They did fun stuff by the pool every day (pool volleyball, bingo, guacamole lessons) and there were shows every night. The entertainment team (they call themselves the Mexican Mafia) are all fun and encourage people to participate without being pushy. On our first afternoon there, we were a little skeptical about doing any of the daytime events, but by the 3rd day, we were having a blast doing everything. The nighttime shows were a mix. The American Idol and Rock of Ages were amazing. We missed the Cirque de Soliel show, but heard that it was also amazing. The Elvis impersonator was kind of lame. We went to the nightclub 2 or 3 nights and it was actually fun too. It never got too crowded or rowdy.

Overall, this was the most amazing vacation that we could have taken. The weather was beautiful for early October. It was so luxurious and you really get your money worth and then some!

Room Tip: We had a swim-out room in building 24, and it was in a great location. We were far enough from the p...
4 Thank Christine A
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was absolutely luxurious. The staff treated you like you were their most important guest every single place you went on the resort. Food was phenomenal, drinks were fantastic and if you asked for anything special you got it (without being charged). I will recommend this place to everyone I speak to.

4 Thank abcdadcd
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!