“Practically Perfect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Athens, GA
“Practically Perfect”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband and I had our wedding at SMB on July 29, 2011 and before I can say anything about the resort in total I must rave about the wedding team. I had so many questions when I was planning our wedding and nobody seemed to post anything about that part of the experience. Valeria was our wedding coordinator; she made the entire event feel effortless and the final result was seamless. I am a very “type A” control freak of a person and to Valeria’s credit she was with me all the way and catered to my every request. I went so far as to bring in my own linens and other wedding décor to save money being that the resort must rent linens from an outside vendor and the resulting price is far beyond what I considered reasonable. I bought the linens for around $80 and it would have cost me close to $300 to rent them. We ended up packing a small suitcase to accommodate all of the wedding items along with contents of the welcome bags for our guests. We looked into shipping the items and came to find customs can hold your goods for an inordinate amount of time. It just seemed more cost efficient (both financially and emotionally) to pay to check an extra bag.

We met with Valeria for what took about 1 hour total on our first full day at the resort. During that time we finalized everything and looked at our backup plan should we have bad weather. If you are planning an outdoor ceremony you are able to utilize the ballroom for the reception and the large foyer to the ballroom for the ceremony. Both were perfectly acceptable substitutions in our opinion which we would have been fine with had we needed them. Be realistic with yourself about the chance of getting rained out and how you will respond if it happens. We had a tropical depression in route the days preceding the wedding and were blessed with a cool and gorgeously sunny day among many rainy ones. The following day a bride who had her heart set on getting married on the beach as well as having her photos on the beach wasn’t so lucky and she was devastated.

We chose the Secrets of Love Package and upgraded the ceremony and reception in a few areas that were important to us. The next package up included some of the things we wanted but it also included some things we didn’t care about so we decided to buy the less expensive package and use the money where we saw fit. One upgrade that made our event was the DJ!! Ismael Rojas was the Audio Manager for the resort and his people are fantastic. They had every song we sent in on our must play request list and some of them were by artists who don’t normally perform them. We chose to rent a sound system for the ceremony and use our ipod for the music and they even operated the ipod music for the ceremony; fading the music in and out so everything sounded perfect. The company, AVI-SPL was phenomenal and the DJ himself got all 25 of us up and having a blast. It would not have been the same otherwise and we were all drenched in sweat from dancing. We chose to have the reception on the Gazebo Terrace and we heard from many other guests as well as another bride and groom how much fun it looked. One bride and groom actually changed their reception site after they saw how lovely it was on the Terrace.

We did not choose to upgrade our photography package and we were glad we didn’t. We ended up buying all 500+ photos from the photographer at a mere $450. The photos were far beyond what we expected and where could you get a photo package in the states for $450?

The food at the reception was one of the best meals we had at the resort; we pretty much followed the Italian menu options on the Silver Menu. The tomato bisque was out of this world and everyone still says it was the best dish they ate while at SMB. The tres leches wedding cake was TO DIE FOR! I had no expectations for the food or the cake as we attended a wedding at The Royal Cancun in June of 2010 and while the food at the resort was great, the food at the wedding reception as well as the cake was just okay. Not so at SMB. That cake and the food were divine!

If you are considering a wedding here you will not be disappointed. As far as the rest of the resort I can only echo all the lovely things which have been said and add some of the things I had questions about prior to arrival. My standards are high; Ritz Carlton Buckhead is my standard and in my experience the service at this resort is close but doesn’t quite get it. Most of the things that didn’t meet the mark were resolved if we made a simple request. Our concierge was perfectly helpful and always at our service.

One place we felt the service could have been better was in the restaurants. The food was good everywhere but the service was hit or miss and there didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some nights we got great service and some we didn’t and it wasn’t specific to any restaurant or dining time. We had a number of people with us and the few nights our dinner groups were six or more we experienced very, very slow dinner pace. On one evening we were fading into sleep at the table it took so long for our food to come. Many of our guests dining in groups of varying sizes one evening at El Patio waited as much as 45 minutes just for an appetizer, however on the night my husband and I ate there the food service was prompt and the food was delicious. Actually El Patio and Oceana were my two favorite dining experiences.

This leads to my one truly negative experience at the resort. I got food poisoning from whatever I ate the last night while dining at The Seaside Grill. The service and the food were terrible and I spent the following day while traveling back to the states pretty much incapacitated. It was horrible and I was sick for three days. It was not a great way to end the trip and I haven’t let it ruin my opinion of the resort but I will say we met several other people who also got ill. This wasn’t Montezuma’s revenge, the water was fine and the symptoms weren’t the same. I think it is bound to happen in a resort this size but I could have done without it.

I have read several disparaging things about the gym and I have to set the record straight. The gym is fully adequate. The majority of our 25 guests are avid gym goers. A few of our boys (my husband being one ) are or were competitive bodybuilders. Each and every one of us got great workouts in while there without issue. There are about seven pieces of cardio equipment so if you are a cardio bunny there are times when you might have to wait but I would say only between 9 and 11 in the am. We are early risers and at 8am the gym was perfectly accessible. There are a limited amount of plates for the long bars but with a little patience you shouldn’t have any problems. If you are looking for a facility fully equipped with nautilus equipment you will not find it but there is plenty of equipment to get a great workout and the gym IS air conditioned.

We opted for a swim out suite and it was worth every penny. It was so nice to have the option to hop in the pool upon waking or before bed and we often had a few people back to the room for appetizers and cocktails after the main pools closed and before we got ready for dinner. Room service will literally bring you almost anything you ask for. I highly recommend the caprese salad on the room service menu; we had it almost every night. Ignore any complaints you have heard about the rooms. They are very comfortable.

Overall I don’t tend to revisit resorts but even with the food poisoning I would recommend this resort to anyone. It is a beautiful property with many kind employees. The food is good, the beach is gorgeous and the drinks are not watered down although the wine left something to be desired. We had a wonderful time and our wedding was perfect! It is really a delightful place to be.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank ACicora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,365)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Amazing. Best resort we have ever been to. Traveled Dominican, Bahamas, Mexico, and more and have not stayed in a better place. Service hands down best you can find. Great pools, privacy, food and atmosphere. Staff opens doors before you even think of walking through one. At one point during the vacation I said to my husband while laying at the pool that I wanted something plain and American like a deli sandwich, not even three minutes later a staff member walked by offering ham and cheese on white bread...how much more plain can that get? They read your mind at this resort and it is excellent!

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank Upstatedanda
Saint Sauveur des Monts, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Well we did spend some time reviewing the 100's of reviews and have to admit that the high satisfaction rate is well deserved. Facilities are nicely located, access to different services (pools, beach, etc.) are all a short walking distance. Grounds are extremely well maintained. We did take full advantage of the room and concierge services, had meals served to our room, always in a timely fashion. When needing little extras (bar refill, different bottled drinks, etc.), it took but a few minutes to have them delivered to the room. As far as the food overall (restaurants & buffets), it's hard to find fault except for one minor mishap; one nigh at one of the restaurants, they were also catering an outdoor event close by, which caused some delays in the meal servings for the restaurant itself, but nothing major enough to make a fuss about. Poolside grill was superb as well as a great idea. Even there the food was nicely varied and very good (fresh fish, ribs, burgers, sushis, etc.). My wife being allergic to seafood, once we had informed the concierge of this, all the speciality restaurants had been made aware of her allergy restrictions, and adjusted what ever meal she selected to be cooked separately, etc...color me impressed! If you wish to splurge a bit, go for a swim-up suite, you will not regret it...it's like having your own (almost private) swimming pool right at your back door step. The beach, altough we "pool'ed" it most of the time, was incredibly clean and nice. Waiters, barmans/maids, poolside personel, entertainment staff (big thanks to Gerry, Gabrielle and Miguel) were all very friendly, courteous and available. Resort has some 450 rooms, occupancy at the time of our visit was 95% and even with the resort almost full, it never seemed crowded anywhere...well laid out all over. Weather hovered between 88-94F in the daytime and went down a few degrees in the evening. It rained some 20-30 minutes during the entire week, and all of it overnight (yeah!). A definite stay....again and again !

Room Tip: Definitely a swim-up suite.
1 Thank wolfman1956
Danville, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is stunning!! It has a pristine beach, and amazing pool that we found hard to leave! We stayed a week and there are plenty of food options especially for dinner, and not only is it delicious but I was pleasantly surprised to find you really feel like with each restaurant that you are in a lovely restaurant with great ambiance and so many options and great service! I cannot say enough good things about the service but the service at the pool in particular, especially Imelda, I swear when your drink was half full they were already coming by to see if you needed anything, but not in an intrusive way, also a small tip will go a long way with the staff they are very appreciative! The resort was so calm and relaxing, very quiet but in a good way, lots of couples no large rowdy groups, I would recommend to anyone and hope we are fortunate to return someday!!!

2 Thank kfitzy7
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We just got back from Secrets Maroma and I will be completely honest with you. The beach was amazing! Food was so so good. Food on the beach, drinks, so good! Service was outstanding! Again, totally honest here. We were upgraded to a beachfront room on arrival, so so nice, with no extra charge. The only problem was that they were working on the swimming pool ouside of our room almost the whole time! But still was very nice. The last day we enjoyed our swim out room with noone outside working on the pool, which was great. Some things I did not like, and they are very few but very bad. The MOSQUITO'S almost ate me alive! I had to spray myself 3-4x a day, no lie. I am totally ate up with mosquito bites from my belly to my back and lower abdomen, so so bad for such a wonderful resort. They even sprayed our room and the mosquitos came out at night. I wondered if there were bedbugs also. I have little bites all over, and I am still very itchy to the point I have to put lotion or benedryl cream on. I won't return only because of that. We took spray- OFF and also Avon skin so soft dry oil spray and it did little to help me. My husband didn't get bit as much as I did, not sure why. But he kept spray on too, even before bed time. So sad. If they could do something about the mosquitos I would love to return. Something else that I didn't like was that you couldn't take the rafts to the beach, they were for the pool only. I understood why because of the sea salt, but everywhere else we have stayed had no problem with us having the rafts on the beach, big no no. On the very last day, I asked a waitor to retrieve me a mat for my swim out pool and he brought me one, of coarse he recieved a nice tip for doing it for me. But one of the managers came up behind him and told me that the resort didn't own the rafts and that they were from another company that leased them I think and that we weren't surpose to have them at the swim out rooms, don't know why, it was pool water not sea water. But I told him it was our last day and didn't get to use a raft and he said it was fine. So I got to enjoy my raft the very last day, hurray! Service was outstanding, food was so good everywhere. My favorite was the mexican restraurant- El Patio, Lucio was wonderful! So fun! We laughed thoughout dinner the whole time. Also, we loved lobster at Bordoux, and Hector was a very gracious and polite server, and I wish we would have met him earlier. All the waitors were so nice and polite. Food was plentiful by the pools. The World Cafe was great for breakfast, didn't eat there for supper, but lunch was so good there too. The service people were all so so very nice. From check in to check out, they were all great. Another downer was the dark bathrooms, it was hard to see, not good lightening at all to put your make up on or to dr up your mosquito bites. Very poor lightening. Another negative, only expresso coffee in the room, didn't like it, it was way too strong for us. So we usually ordered our coffee from room service, which was a plus, I will never go to a resort that doesn't have 24 hr room service, this resort has it all. The jewerly shop was pricey. I looked at a ring for 28 grand there, unbelievable. I thought it would be around 6-7 grand, that price blew me away. So no gifts to take home there. I bought better gifts at the resort we stayed at previously- The Royal at Playa, great jewerly there. But there is no no way that the Royal can compare to Secrets Maroma Beach. The Beach, was breathtaking, I loved it. Wide beautiful beach with lots of chairs and shade and soft sand, turquoise waters, fish, food or drinks served right on the beach. The Mosquitos were really the only thing that will keep me from returning and this is no fault of the resort, but I only wish they could do something about it. Very romantic resort, great for couples, honeymooners, anniversaries. We were celebrating our anniversary, and I wish we had done our beach dinner there but we did it at the Royal, which was enjoyable with lobster, but the wind at the Royal and little to no beach was the pits along with the wind. We were so ready to go to Secrets and we were in for a delightful scenic beautiful beach and that is what we got there. If you are not bothered by bugs, then don't worry you will love it. I have always had problems in attracking fleas and mosquitos, and it was very irritating but I lived through it. I would only change that, and the dark bathrooms, coffee in the room and the rafts at the beach. But the beach and food and service were the best things. I will warn you about 5th Ave. though. I read lots of reviews how safe it was there. Maybe we went at the wrong time, but we were very harrassed to say the least and have been to Mexico 3x and I know how to deal with bartering and the people and have never had a problem before now. There were2-3 guys that were very rude and I don't want to give details what happened but we won't ever go there again for sure. The people at the resort were some of the most hospital people in Mexico, very polite, friendly, always had a warm smile to greet you. It is sad, because I wanted to spend some of our american money at 5th Ave. but those guys ruined it, we left within about 5 minutes and spent our money for suveniors at the resort and at the Airport, great suveniors at the airport, better to buy them there but you will pay what they want at the airport and that is okay with me as long as we are not harrassed it is worth it to me. We had a wondeful time. Get pictures by Antonio, he was great. Very accomodating, laid back, we had lots in common, very genuine type of guy, he's the boss, didn't know that till later. Mary was delightful helping us with our pictures we selected, very sweet! Love those people. That's pretty much it. You can email me if you have questions. Would go back in a heart beat if it wasn't for the MOSQUITO's.

Room Tip: Swim out room or Ocean front is the best!
4 Thank cadycat7
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was at the Secrets Maroma Beach Resort for a business meeting. While I didn't have time for all the activities, everything else about the hotel was excellent. From check-in service to the meals and the hotel room, The breakfast and lunch buffets offered so many selections it was hard to choose. The quality and cleanliness was also outstanding. I could find very little wrong during my stay. The staff is well trained and works hard to keep the guests happy. My one complaint was the drinking glasses in the mini-bar were filthy, but they were quickly replaced. I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank WLA82
Chicago
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Review is a bit late but better late than never....We have stayed at various locations in the RM every year for the last 10, twice at Secrets Capri, which we loved. Maroma Beach was everything it was hyped to be and more....from the Five Star restaurants (truly 5*).....to the unbelievable white sand beach....it was paradise.....we upgraded for the seven days to the concerige beach service......it was well worth the extra $40 daily.....from 9am-5pm......they could not do enough for us.....one day it rained so they did not open it...but later in the afternoon, Kevin our beach concerige came to the pool to find us and said he would take care of us at the pool....property is spread out so be prepared to walk a bit......was not a big fan of the nightly entertainment at other places but Maroma Beach was outstanding.....check it out a few nights.....this will be our place for the next few years

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!