“Best Vacation Ever!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I will keep this short because most of my comments have already been made. I have nothing negative to say about this place. One of the best parts of the stay was the people working here. Wonderful people who are so eager to help and make your vacation a very memorable one. Enrique in the World Cafe is an amazing guy. SO much fun! The Entertainment staff was EXCELLENT. Not pushy like some can be, but lots and lots of fun and sooo friendly. Alex and Gabby were our favourites!

Best restaurant for us was the Italian. Would have loved to go back and try every entre, but there were so many other restaurants to try out. All of them were excellent! We've been to a few different all inclusives in the Caribbean (including Sandals in the Bahamas approx 10 year ago). This was the best by far! Thanks to all the wonderful people at Secrets Maroma Beach!! We will return!!

3 Thank Jose W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,528)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We have stayed at few all inclusives before and have had some hit or miss experiences. Most recently, we stayed at LeBlanc in Cancun (LeBlanc is very, very nice, check out their reviews. If you want to stay in Cancun I recommend it greatly!) and if I had a choice, I would choose to return to Secrets in a heartbeat. The grounds and buildings are beautiful, clean and nicely decorated. Food was the best I've had at any all inclusive resort and I love that they don't require reservations! The drinks were very made well and they had a wide selection of beers. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and the 24 hour room service was great. Most notably though, was the service at the resort. Everyone, I mean everyone, was incredibly nice and helpful. They really made the trip special.

I do, however, have one pretty major complaint. We booked a swim out room that was located right in front of the concierge desk (each building has its own concierge located on the first floor), when the concierge shows up at 9 am things get very loud. Between greeting everyone walking by, shouting things at other staff members, helping customers and ringing phones our hopes for sleeping in or relaxing in our room were dashed. It was SO loud and SO disturbing that it really forced us out of our room earlier than we wanted each day. So, if management reads these reviews, please ask your concierges to use their inside voices!! OR, put them elsewhere! So, when you book your rooms make sure you are nowhere near the concierge desk! Other than that, I would recommend this resort to anyone and would love to return some day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy concierge desk!
5 Thank Cinnam0n
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Just got back from an 8 night stay with my boyfriend and let's just say I wish I was still there. From the moment we arrived, the staff were so welcoming and went out their way to help. They took our bags straight away so we didn't have to stress and it seems as if they're main aim is to make their guests feel relaxed. We upgraded to a preferred club room due to the ocean view and it was definitely worth it. Nothing like waking up and standing on your balcony, looking out at the ocean.

The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and the little touches made it special. The food was great, in particular the world cafe for breakfast, you were spoilt for choice and it was a nice start to the day. We tried most of the restaurants and they were all decent, but the grill by the pool was also really good because of the choices and a lot of the chefs and waiters would bring out appetizers and food around the pool for the guests.

The beach was absolutely unbelievable, white sands and turquoise waters - exactly what you want from a beach. I have to say though, one of my favourite things about the holiday was being able to rent the beach beds. Even though you have to pay, it's a small price for the level of service that is offered. My boyfriend and I would be laying on the bed and the waiters would bring us our next round of drinks without even asking and they even learnt our names - something you don't often find in large resorts. It's clear that the staff make such an effort and they work so hard, you can literally see them sweating in the 35 degree heat and yet they never fail to show a smile and a friendly attitude. Big shout out to Moses who was amazing!

Because the resort offers the guests so much to do with its many bars, restaurants and entertainment programmes, it can be easy to just stay in the resort, but we did venture out a couple times and I am glad we did. I would definitely recommend doing a snorkelling adventure and if you like going out, then a night out in Playa del Carmen is fun. It's classier than Cancun and the bars are pretty cool. I also did a skydive in Playa and would highly recommend that to anyone who isn't afraid to jump out of an airplane! Overlooking the Caribbean beach and landing on the smooth white sand is a one of a kind adventure and definitely one of the best things I have ever done.

Absolute 5* resort, there are no annoying kids, the staff are amazing, the service is special and you'll have an incredible time. The only complaint I have is about the annoying 40 year old Americans screaming by the pool - but I won't say too much as a number of people already have!

BOOK SECRETS AND BOOK FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!!!

6 Thank tropical_world9
Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2011

After hearing feedback from friends and doing research on trip advisor, my wife, a couple friends and I decided to take 7 days at the "most beautiful beach in the Mayan." Here's our review...

Resort Grounds: Impecable! They're extremely well kept. Super clean and nicely layed out. Picturesque and perfect for couples coming for an anniversary, honeymoon or romantic getaway. The pools were nicely situated close to the beach and center to the accomodations. Walking from one end of the resort to the other was a breeze. It would have been nice to have another pool bar since the one in the main pool was always packed and it took forever to get something to drink.

Beach: They weren't lying! This is the 4th beach we've been to in the Mayan and easily tops the other 3 combined. The sand is silky and white. Waves varied from none to smallish and almost body-surf-ride-able. We caught a couple sunrises and came away with some amazing shots. The seaweed would gather after a storm but the resort crew was quick to dispatch and remove it.

Food: Delicious! We enjoyed the French restaurant the most and ate there a few times. The house wine is good enough so there's no sense spending more when it's already pricey enough to attend the resort. The Italian and Oceanic restaurants were also stellar and there's nothing we can really complain about food-wise. If you go, you MUST go to the coffee shop and pick up an iced mocha - absolutely fabulous and a nice chill in the heat.

Rooms: Clean. Convenient. Great service. Decent views, nice jacuzzi tubs in each.

Entertainment: Fairly standard. We certainly enjoyed the shows, but nothing new. We sought out alternate entertainment and found the follownig...

Couple Cons: While there was so much to brag about at this resort the feeling of being herded at specific times to specific venues always took away from the sense of relaxation and freedom. Now, my wife, friends and I aren't sheep in and were in direct conflict with the abundance of rules and resort amenity times. If you want to hang out at the beach during the evening you're going to be challenged to gain any service for, well... anything. After 10pm you can only get an alcoholic beverage from the disco as any bar along the beach or at any other location on the grounds closed - very restrictive. We attempted to order some wine through room service and it never came.

This example kind of shows the nature of the resort: Our friends participated in a pool game that had number assignments for all participants. At one point someone asked the entertainment crew if they could have #69. Innocent, of course :) ... the entertainment crew said yes, actually everyone can have the same number if you want (note, I don't know the full context of the game). So my friend pipes up - "Great, 69 for everyone!!" He was promptly pulled aside by the entertainment crew and told he cannot make comments like that. Public scolding? Didn't know that was also all-included.

Would we go back - No. Compared to some other resorts priced at the same, we've enjoyed more.

Would we recommend for couples who'll enjoy a very streamlined approach to their vacation with everything included - Certainly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank powdergiant
London
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Secrets Maroma Beach is a wonderful resort....the staff are amazing and the manager Eric Freudenthaler runs an amazing place......the beach is the BEST we have ever seen, the food is perfect, the rooms are quite amazing and there really is nothing I could complain about......we were there when the weather was VERY hot so we spent little time in the pool area but the beach was so nice we did not even miss it......if you are looking for romance and peace and quiet with wonderful service go and let Eric's staff looko after you........you can't go through liffe without visiting this resort

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank johnbalmer
nashville
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We just got back from Secrets for our honeymoon. We had an incredible time. We went into this resort knowing all of the good reviews on service. They still exceeded our expectations. The food was great and our room was beautiful. Everything was spectacular!! Going back to mediocre customer service will be painful... Secrets Maroma has set the bar! Oh and we LOVED the service we got from Mariseo at Bordeaux (french restaurant). Cant wait to visit other Secrets Resorts.

Room Tip: ocean view 3rd or 4th floor. fairly easy to upgrade i believe
1 Thank hairhero
Tremont, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just returned from our 3rd time at SMB. This was our 13th trip to the area, and Secrets is the only resort we have returned to. Our 1st 2 trips we were on the 4th floor, with an amazing view, this time we did a swimout suite, which we truly enjoyed. Our concierge, Fabiola was wonderful. My husband celebrated his b'day while we were there, and when we were gone snorkeling, she had our room decorated with a banner, balloons, and a cake. It was a very nice touch. The only complaint I have, and I have had it all 3 years, the rooms, the lobby, and all the restaurants are not near cool enough!!!!! They really need to do something about it. I knew to ask for a fan as soon as we got to our room, it helped, but the air does not go below 75. It of course does not stop us from going to such an incredible resort. As many others have mentioned, the food and the service are the BEST. Definitely will return for a 4th time, and hopefully a 5th, 6th, 7th, etc.

Room Tip: We loved building 24 swimout, it is right in the middle, plenty of sun, and not a long walk either w...
7 Thank CleanFrk
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!