“One of the rare local sandy beaches, not too crowded” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Bristol
New Delhi, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of the rare local sandy beaches, not too crowded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's at the end of the peninsula, so it takes a while to get to if you are up in town near Route 1, but worth it. Costs something like $4 per person for the day, I think, but what's nice about this beach, aside from that the sand is actually sand and not little rocks like you find in much of Maine, but that it's never really crowded. There are people there, but it's a big enough stretch of beach so that even on a hot, sunny, summer day, you have some elbow room.

The shack that has food has actually really good food. I get a cod sandwich or a lobster roll. My kids favor the hamburgers.

Plenty of parking too. This is a low stress day at the beach.

Averill Park, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great beach with a great view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife, my younger son, and his school buddy went to the beach almost every day of our week long vacation and enjoyed it immensely! Plenty of parking, easy to find! If you go though, pick up one of those "Beach clamshells" for shade as the rent chairs but no relief from the rays.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank ADKMAN1
Massachusetts
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Smelly, crowded, lots of seaweed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We went to Pemaquid for the first time recently and had high hopes. We were left disappointed, but probably because our expectations were too high based on other reviews.

The pros: nice sand, snack bar, picturesque. The town is trying hard to make the beach enjoyable. The sand is groomed daily. A scuba diver gave a demonstration for the kids, including catching a variety of creatures and letting the kids touch. I'm not sure if he worked for the town or just was an enthusiast.

The cons: there was a strong rotten egg smell all day, there was lots of seaweed in the water, there was trash in the water (I blame rude people for this, of course), and the water was rocky - not comfortable to wade in without shoes. A good chunk of the beach disappears as the tide comes in and people keep
moving their stuff in closer. It got extremely crowded by 1 pm. One of the beach's selling points is supposed to be that it's not crowded - but it is. Very crowded. There are also only 2 toilets for women, which leads to long lines. One of the stalls lacks a latch, which is uncomfortable when you know there's a long line outside waiting. Also, you need to carry around a paper admission ticket if you want to go back and forth between the parking lot and the beach. A paper ticket at a beach? A hand stamp would work better. Or better yet, move the admissions gate to the front of the parking lot so there is no need to prove you've paid once you've parked your car.

Overall: this is an ok sand beach. Reminded me of Crescent Beach in Cape Elizabeth. Will I go back? Probably not, due to the smell. Popham Beach is nicer, same cost (or free, if you have a park pass), doesn't feel as crowded, and never smells. It's just too bad that Popham doesn't have a snack shack.

1 Thank SMa1983
Pinehurst, North Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family and I were up in Maine, visiting my husband's family last week. This was my second year going up there. Last year, we went to the very large and crowded Popham Beach and loved it, so this time, we went to Pemaquid Beach with his mom and sister. I am so glad they took us! It's a true hidden gem!

Since it's a state park, there was a fee to get in. It was $4 (children 11 and under are free). Active duty military are also free, as we found out, since they didn't charge my husband to get it. There are bathroom facilities and shower stations, but a word of advice...there are no snack bars or anywhere you can buy food (you'll have to go into town). I would pack an ice chest because that's what we did and it was perfect! The beach is quaint and it wasn't too crowded. The waves were small and calm, perfect for small children. While we were there, a small seal swam right up to my son. It was the cutest thing! Everyone quickly followed that little critter to the end of the beach area and then it disappeared. There are plenty of shells to hunt for, too! We spent the entire day there and had a blast!

I grew up in Hawaii and it's hard for a beach to impress me, but Pemaquid Beach reminded me of the quiet and often overlooked Sunset Beach on Oahu. This is really one of the nicest beaches in Maine.

3 Thank MichelleGrenier