“very homey”

Highland Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bridgton
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We enjoyed the use of the "master suite" Lots of room for our kids to play, and some privacy for the adults in the attached bedroom. Our biggest complaint was that there were a group of men smoking on the porch the ENTIRE time we were there, so we could not enjoy the view and relaxation of sitting outside. It just isn't fair to all travelers to have chain smokers sitting on the "community" porch. My kids couldn't even go out there.

Room Tip: the suite had a jacuzzi tub and a full kitchen. It was a great way to save money on dining out with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JMG73
Woody W, Owner at Highland Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

I must apologize for the smokers on the back porch. They were a crew of workers doing some work in the region, and they were, sadly, mostly smokers. We purposely placed them at one end of the building you were in so they wouldn't interfere with other guests. Not sure how they ended up near the Deluxe Suite. Whenever I checked on them, they were always near their rooms.

Also, we ask that anyone having a problem let us know so we can at least try to fix it. The workers were very easy to deal with, and I'm sure they would have moved if we'd asked them to.

Regardless, we apologize for the problem, and will make sure we check more frequently when we have smokers staying with us. There is no smoking in any room or building, and we discourage smoking outside where it might interfere with others.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

These adorable motel /cabin-like rooms are quite cozy. Noise does carry though, and on during the busy season, there may be a lack of privacy and peace. However, all is compensated for by the delightful owners, the scenic view, and amenities such as canoeing, tennis, and even a spacious hammock by the lake. There is a user friendly porch with each room looking towards the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for one that looks towards the lake; these have a peaceful, beautiful view. If noise is an issu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

my family has been vacationing in Bridgton for about 10 years. We started coming here to a sisters ski house when the children were smaller.
Bridgton is a lovely town and most of the residents are friendly. There are many good restaurants and some nice breakfast places. They have a movie theater, a drive in movie, and lovely Highland lake which has a beach and picnic area.
One year we came up a few days early and stayed at the highland lake resort. We found it to be quiet (at least while we were there) and although the units were older they were well kept and everything worked OK. We only stayed 2 days and did not really use many amenities but it is certainly centrally located.

Room Tip: I imagine rooms up on Highway 302 could get a little noise from 302 which is a main road in and out...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

the highland lake resort is vert clean .It has a great view of the lake at the back of the property and the owners are very helpful. I recommend this place very highly. The owner always had a smile and his wife helped to find a person to drive me around Maine.Both of them took time to help me whenever I needed assistance;and I am so grateful for that courtesy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ralph B
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect. It was just one night, but a nice getaway. The hotel sits above highland lake (I think there are two lakes named this in Maine, so double check), there is a tennis court and a long sprawling lawn down to the lake. It was quiet when I was there. There is a porch to sit on out the back of your room, but the view is not perfect, the tennis court is in front of you. The water was just right for us. We love to swim. The owner said that if you book a stay you can come early to use the lake, and stay late the next day to use the lake. There is a dock and a raft. I think there are kayaks to hire. There was not much powerboat traffic, which was nice. My wife and I like to swim. We swam and laid out in the sun on the raft, and could see the White Mountains in the distance. I do not know how it would be if it were crowded with pre-teens. Might not be as idyllic. Although there is plenty of room to stretch out lakeside, the dock and raft space are limited. The lake was the perfect temperature for me, I like a little nip to it, not too cold. The room itself is old school. If you like everything up to date, this will not be for you. The bathroom is small. The air conditioner can get a little noisy. But you shouldn't be there for the room. The lake is lovely. Bridgton has a couple little places to eat and drink. We went to the diner for breakfast and it was fine. I recommend this place. Hope for good weather and if you want quiet maybe go midweek.

Room Tip: We had the king bedroom. I heard the side units are tricky for parking.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noscreennameUk
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Highland Lake resort for over 12 years. The property has always been well maintained and the owners, Woody and Deanna are excellent hosts, personable,outgoing,and dependable.The accommodations are good, comfortable and clean. The lake is awesome, about 1.5-2 miles wide and about 6 miles long, too small for big boats. There are family boats and ski boats. We used to bring a canoe, and electric motor,and in the early am and late afternoon/evening photograph Loons.
This year we each had a Kayak and the photography worked out pretty well. Decent place to keep the kayaks, near the water.

Our stays have always been enjoyable,relaxing and quiet. For area loon photos, please check out the web site: vermontnewenglandphotos.com

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DaveEastDorset K
Woody W, Owner at Highland Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

As soon as I saw the remark about loons, I knew who the writer was! You really should see some of his photos. The pictures of loons, especially the babies riding on the parents' backs, are great! When Dave and his wife spend their week with us each summer, the loons always seem to come out in force, "ready for their close-ups".

Thank you, Dave, for the kind words. We hope to see you both for many more years!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and two adult children spent a week there. We got the Executive Suite with a bedroom and large living area and each of the kids had a separate standard room next to us. It was perfect for all. The "resort" is a motel (decently maintained) that is situated on a great lake (very, very quiet as far as lakes go). Only downside was a situation with housekeeping - a recent change in personnel caused some problems with cleaning our suite and unfortunately it took several days and too many conversations to get cleared up - which it did. Woody and Dee are very nice and really want to please - I just fault them for not following up the next day after my first complaint. It was very quiet even one weekend when they were full. We rowed, kayaked and canoed - they don't have a lot of boats but we never had a problem getting one. We also played ping pong and pool but never got around to bocce ball! Too much to do in the surrounding area which is beautiful - don't miss the White Mountains. The town of Bridgton is charming - not very large but wonderful to walk around the main street and the neighborhood. We had some good meals at Black Horn (good) but much better at Campfire Grille. Don't miss Beth's for breakfast or lunch - very quirky but good food and fun. We also went to the movies - the Magic Lantern is great - sit in the balcony.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonesgo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgton
Pleasant Mountain Inn
#1 of 1 in Poland Springs
Noble House Inn
Noble House Inn
#1 of 3 in Bridgton

Been to Highland Lake Resort? Share your experiences!