“Blueberry pie outstanding but avoid broiled seafood”

The Coach House Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Brewer
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Took my father here to lunch because we wanted seafood and because the Schooner (formerly the Muddy Rudder) was closed for renovations. If you are familiar with seafood restaurants in Maine, at least the ones that I went to when I was growing up, you'll know that seafood is usually served deep fried. My father ordered deep fried clams. I ordered the broiled combo (haddock and scallops), which was a big mistake. Thankfully, it didn't come loaded with butter/margarine, but it came with no seasonings whatsoever. It tasted like it had just been put in a microwave. The staff said that the dish is essentially poached under the broiler to prevent the fish/seafood from drying out. It's possible that only the elderly would choose broiled fish and seafood here, but the management is very mistaken to think that the elderly do not like seasonings. By contrast, the blueberry pie was delicious, as it was chock full of blueberries (twice the amount that I had expected). The blueberries were small (wild?). It was not too sweet. If the management can get its act together and actually ensure that seasonings as added to the seafood, it is a restaurant worth going trying. At the very least, try the pies.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was impressed with the selection, and the food. I did feel misled when I saw the menu that offered breakfast/lunch/supper everyday and with jam on the table only to find out that breakfast is no longer served at 11. That being said there was a breakfast sandwich on the menu, for us folks who like to eat breakfast all the time.
The food was good and well prepared. My sandwich was good, nothing writing home about but still yummy. The icing on the cake for my time spent there was the “French Canadian Fries” or poutin. A hard concoction is hard to find this far south of the Canadian border, but always worth getting when you can find it. Any meal that I can start with poutin, is a good meal.
My mother had a clam basket, and she left stuffed and happy. She didn’t complain, and that says a lot! My Wife to be had fish and chips, and she ate most of it. She enjoyed it and said that she would order it again. We never got to the deserts, as we were full but they looked homemade and wonderful.

I would say that the staff was VERY friendly. The staff was willing to chat, and was not focused rush rush rush. All in all, I would go again.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Coach House offers a broad , delicious selection of Maine seafood, home style dinners, and bottomless cups of coffee - all at reasonable prices. It's the first place I go to eat when I set foot in Maine.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Located right next door to the Vacationland Motel & since we stayed there, this restaurant was very convenient. It was very busy when we arrived but the staff got us into a table quite quickly. Our waitress was excellent, food was delivered quickly and the quality of that food was great.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Friendly staff who were quick to comply with any request we may have had before we uttered a single word. Clean establishment, full menu with lots of choices. Comfortable with a pleasant county decor. Second time we have ate here on our way through on travels.