“Waited 3 hours for our dinner”
Review of Whales Tale

Whales Tale
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you don't mind waiting 3 hours for your dinner...then this is the place to go! When we asked to speak to the owner, who we did see walking around, we were told he was unavailable. Our server was very clever at making excuses for the owner (sounds like a habit to me). Our server's explanation for the problem was that "everyone came in at once". The restaurant is not a large place. There weren't that many tables filled since several other parties had already left due to the fact that they, also, had waited way too long for their food. How ridiculous that a restaurant in Boothbay Harbor Maine, on a Saturday night in July, could not accommodate their patrons! Our group of 8 finally, after our 3 hour wait, got served, but not all at once. Some had finished eating while others still had not be served. The reason we were given for that was "the slips got separated in the kitchen". We noticed the table behind us experienced the same thing. The only reason we stayed on was a lovely woman playing the guitar and singing. This was a horrible dining experience and we will spread the word.

5  Thank Pam O

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Me and my family where advised whales tale was great restraint once we got there it took 30 min. For them to give us the bread and 1hour for the appetizers we ended up leaving. Don't go here

4  Thank Charley B
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We went here after a local recommendation we waited over an hour and a half for two cups of chowder the rest of our meals never appeared. Two other tables left while we waited, the Luke warm chowder was ok, waitresses embarrassed and apologizing, but the owner who was in the bar did not care. So for two cups of chowder two local beers a sprite And a regular bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay we were charged $66 outrageous and no apology, my father put his head in the kitchen as we walked out and there was still no sign of our meals cooking.

5  Thank CrackleNz
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Frankly, we went to this restaurant because we had purchased a substantial discount coupon, a coupon that the owner would have had to agree to have distributed. There are numerous restaurants to choose from, so a discount sure helped with the decision on where to go. Anyway, we arrived at the restaurant, which is on the side of the harbor opposite the town, so it's a little out of the way. It has both indoor and outdoor seating, although the outdoors seating is only seven tables, with a nice view of the outer harbor.

It was seat yourself, so we did, and waited and waited for our server. She finally made her appearance. There was another server who was diligently waiting on his tables, providing menus, water, silverware, etc. Ours came empty handed, so we asked for menus. She did manage to eventually get us the beverage we ordered, but we had to ask for water and silverware when our food came out. As with most of the restaurants in Boothbay Harbor, the prices here were unreasonably high, so we sure were glad we had that discount coupon. She took our order for the clambake type entree, which included a cup of chowder, lobster, clams, FF and coleslaw., then disappeared. We waited and watched as the the other server checked on his tables, brought out orders, refilled drinks and checked on how things were. Our server finally re-appeared, so I (figuratively) grabbed her to inquire where our chowders were. My question surprised her, she said she was just going to bring everything out at once. I had to explain to her that the soup comes out first, so we finally got our chowder, which was very good. Then our entrees were brought out. Everything appeared as should be, except there was a mountain of FF.

The clams were good and clean, and then we got to the lobster. We opened the lobster and were greeted by a nasty black goo along with the roe. Now, I've been cooking and eating lobster all my life and never saw this black goo. There was no foul smell and the claws had tasted fine. I latched onto our server again and inquired about the black goo. She had no idea, so I asked her to check with the chef. This request surprised her, but she complied. She returned and informed us the chef had no idea. I rinsed the tail off in the abundant water on the plate and tried it. It seemed fine, so we finished the tail ( brave or foolish, you decide). Since then I've learned that the black goo was the tomalley, but that the lobster was undercooked, so it did not solidify and turn green. We then shared a piece of Key Lime pie; it was the worse I ever tasted.

After finishing we handed our server the coupon and requested the check. She looked at the coupon and then informed us the owner had issued instructions that coupons would not be honored. We explained that we had paid for the coupon and had just printed it out days earlier. She told us that the owner instructed them to inform customers to contact the coupon vendor for a refund. So, we had terrible service, undercooked food, and now the discount would not be honored.

As I said, there are lots of restaurants that charge too much, so why go here and pay too much for bad service, undercooked food and disreputable business practices.

5  Thank The_Traveler_From_Pa
Reviewed July 26, 2012

One of the worst experiences that we have had as diners. Went for lunch and while we easily found a seat outside and the view was fantastic, the food was something else.

My party ordered the Crab Burger, the Chicken Pot Pie, a crock of Clam Chowder and the Batter Dipped French Fries. The service was very slow from the get go, but there was a large gathering that was just finishing up so some forgiveness to that.

After we ordered we were told that the last Chicken Pot Pie was served the night before. We were there around 2 PM the next day, so there should have been time to make more. Anyway that order was swapped for a Patty Melt.

Both of the sandwiches were advertised to come with Batter Dipped Fries, Onion RIngs and Cole Slaw.

When the food did arrive, there was no Cole Slaw, but a tasteless pasta salad with mayo that was warm - not cold - which is a warning. There were no onion rings and the fries, both the ones that came with the sandwiches and the extra order were certainly not "Batter Dipped" - they were just plain old fries out of a bag.

The crab burger was good, as was the patty melt and chowder. What is distrubing is that if subsitutions are going to be made - tell the customers - don't just assume that this is what they the customer should get. That pasta salad was as nasty as it gets.

As for the fries, when we pointed out to the waiter where was the batter, he said that those are batter dipped. Really? Fries with salt and pepper are batter dipped? Batter Dipped to me should be like onion rings, either a bread crumb coating or wet batter - actually dipped. After some pressing he said that the special order was just like the other fires and that he would tell the manager. Perhaps there idea of batter is different than the rest of us.

No manager came to speak to us, and nothing was done to the bill. The $5 for a plate of frozen french fires is highway robbery, and serving warm mayo based pasta salad is just dangerous.

I tried to email the restaurant as they are part of the marina complex, but no email is listed. When I called they said the resturant has no email and that the only email address for the business is the ower's personal email.

As a local who lives here year round, I like to visit the seasonal establishments in the area. I will not be coming here again either by car or by my boat.

3  Thank John R