“Overpriced and "stuffy"”
Review of Rocktide Inn & Restaurant - CLOSED

Rocktide Inn & Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy spectacular harbor views, a menu full of fresh seafood and delicious dishes to tease the taste buds, and the On the Rocks Lounge at the Rocktide Inn & Restaurant. Situated on the water on the east side in beautiful downtown Boothbay Harbor, the Rocktide has been a landmark in the harbor since 1968. Enjoy hot popovers with every meal, and one of the finest selections of house wine and liquor to be found on the water. Enjoy good times and great food at the Rocktide Inn & Restaurant.
Massachusetts
“Overpriced and "stuffy"”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The atmosphere is the only thing I would recommend here. The food was OK, but extremely overpriced. The staff could use lessons on smiling. If you are independently wealthy, by al means go here just to see the harbor. But, you can see the harbor with great food elsewhere and still have enough money to eat tomorrow...

Visited September 2012

Austin
“We really weren't expecting”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

To find a fine dining experience in East Boothbay. When we drove up to the '60's style motor inn that houses the restaurant, we didn't have high expectations. Inside, we found a well-appointed and spacious bar and dining room. The waitstaff was friendly and knowledgable. The menu was filled, in addition to all of the lobster dishes you would expect in a French influenced kitchen, with entrees including duck (which one of our party had and loved) and lamb. The wine list was solid and reasonably priced. Our group had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner with lovely views of the harbor and sunset. And I have to mention the amazing collection of model sailing ships that were all around the dining room and lounge areas. It was an unexpected treat of an evening.

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Again, solid accountability”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Let's face it, it's Boothbay Harbour. This is not a gourmet-food-town (yes, I mourn the closing of 93 Townsend). One comes here to eat lobster, or perhaps to drink beer and eat good pub food.

I was here on my sailboat on the dock at Brown's Wharf-----which is also a fine place to eat, but my husband and I were craving something a bit more upscale for a celebration. Rocktide fits this.

The atmosphere is nice. Not wildly great, just nice, and service is generally good. For the record, there has long been a tradition at the Rocktide that to eat in a certain area of the dining room (same food as everywhere else) gentlemen must wear jackets. This has never bugged me in particular because it seems to be some kind of thing that people do in Boothbay------the (very private) Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club also has since I began going there in the 1960's required jackets for gentlemen, and I haven't a clue why. It is what it is.

But at the Rocktide one can sit just above the "gentlemen-in-jackets" area, and the food is the same and the atmosphere nearly the same.

We had a very nice meal. I ordered what I always do there, the "champagne lobster" and it is as good as it sounds. It came with a salad as did my husband's haddock. We had an extremely good bottle of Sicilian wine from a vineyard we visited this year in Sicily for a mere $26. it was an excellent value.

Total bill before tip: $U.S. 98.

Carmel, Indiana
“Romantic Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We celebrated our 30th anniversary with dinner at Rocktide. We had a very nice table in their formal dining area. The server was very attentive but not hovering. My husband enjoyed his scallops very much. I had the seafood kabob. It was good but a little overdone. We would return if visiting Bootbay Harbor again.

Visited September 2012
New Hampshire
“A jacket needed? Really???”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We arrived at 7:15 on Monday (it was Labor Day - and after Labor Day they stop serving dinner at 8pm), but didn't have a reservation... the place was almost empty (only four or five other parties there), so having no reservations obviously was not a problem. We were a party of three and were sat sandwiched in between three other tables - two deuces and a family of five. As soon as we sat down, the infant with the family started bawling. I asked if we could move to an empty table in the lower section of the dining room. We were told no because we "didn't have a reservation" and that the lower section was the "formal dining room and required a jacket for men". Picture this: the "formal dining room" was about 15 feet from where we were initially sat - not a separate room, but simply a one-step-down area with table cloths (everything else was completelythe same: chairs... tables... menu... everything else was EXACTLY the same... and there was only one other party seated there!). SO... it's after Labor Day and about 45 minutes from when they were to stop serving food and they wouldn't move us from quite possibly the most undesireable table in the place to a "nicer" table because we didn't have dinner jackets on? I was with my partner and his 79 year old mother - we were clean... well dressed (albeit sans jackets) and were ready to spend some $$$ on a nice dinner. I could understand if it had been the height of the summer with a waiting list of reservations (and none of their local advertisements mention needing a reservation or a jacket for the "formal dining room" - we only saw it on their site after the fact), but on a Monday evening in September? Why would you ever turn away business under these circumstances? Obviously we did not stay... instead we went to Amore - an Italian restaurant around the corner from the Rocktide. We loved it and the service (ask for Brittany to be your server if she's there!) so much that we ate there again later in the week. Skip the Rocktide - they're stuck in a time warp.

2 Thank TRossO