“Definitely to be avoided”

Boothbay Lobster Wharf
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Daytona Beach
“Definitely to be avoided”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went to get lobster at about 6 pm on a Saturday night and the place was almost empty...should have picked up on that clue. Staff was new, inexperienced, and could barely speak English. Couldn't care less. We waited at the walk up window over 30 minutes to place an order. The staff was busy trying to figure out how to use the credit card machine. We left. Used to be a great place but looks like change of management and/or philosophy. Our local friends said they'll never go back.

1 Thank bandit1DaytonaBeach

bogart
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take Out Lobster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

we were able to get 2 lobsters boiled for $15.00 to take back to the room to watch football at their fish mkt

Visited September 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“A new meaning for Lobster Trap.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Though the view is the same and the lobster, whether soft or hard shell, still taste like lobsta you can purchase from a myriad of places in Maine, there is a distinct and distasteful difference in the Boothbay Lobster Wharf since the recent sale of this once enjoyable Boothbay landmark. Prior to this new ownership, this venue was a fun place to relax and bring family and friends and enjoy the typical Maine faire but sadly, all good things must end. Our experience is a perfect example of what happens when the wrong type of personality believes they can fill the shoes of experienced, professional restaurateurs.. The September 2013 INCIDENT occurred quite unexpectedly when this aggressive individual proceeded to make a scene and insult us after we finished our meal in the covered dining area. We purchased 3 lobsters from his retail shop and over $16.00 of side dishes and chose to dine in the central dining room., I called the retail shop prior to our departure from Ogunquit and asked how much the lobsters were ($5.00 a pound and asked if they would cook them for us to enjoy there as opposed to the other side which charge $28 for the same lobster). I asked if we could eat them with the side selections in the casual covered room that we purchased at the window. No problem WAS THE EMPLOYEE'S ANSWER and WHEN SHE delivered them to our table I tipped her.. I unpacked the lobsters and the side dishes we picked up from the window and this so- called-"gentleman"watched us eat our food.Once I cleaned the table, he ran up to us and said he was going to charge us a service fee. First , I tried to rationalize with him, as he shouted in the dining area with people starring, and I calmly told him that prior to our arrival, we had called and I spoke to his retail employee and indeed we were told there was no problem with our request to take the lobster and sides into the center dining area. He kept insisting that he was going to charge us another fee and I proceeded to stand up and asked him to escort me to his retail shop and confront the employee. She (bless her half-hearted integrity), stood up to this Nazi-type man, and said she just assumed we knew. He stood there and said no matter I am still going to charge you. Now I became angry. I pointed at this once-fine establishment and illustrated that there were NO SIGNS INDICATING THIS POLICY AND THAT HE OWED MY FAMILY AN APOLOGY.. Instead of stepping forward and asking for forgiveness for his rudeness, he began to CHANT CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! My family and I were totally disgusted by his rudeness but when we realized how pitiful he was, we started laughing. We won't be back and I can assure you many other people will drive on by as well.

6 Thank CookiesTravelReview
Camden, Maine
“Keep driving.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We brought visiting relatives here yesterday. We used to come here regularly when it was the Fisherman's Co-op and had great memories of the place, but today's visit definitely showed us that times have changed, and not for the better.The setting and view are still wonderful, but that's where the magic ends. We ordered lobster dinners with sides of steamed clams, baked potatoes and salads. We spent about $200.00, yet when my brother sat down at the picnic table with a bottle of Poland Spring water he had purchased earlier, the bartender started yelling at him that he had to order from the bar. Then, although we and one other couple were the only people there at the time, we waited a long time for our food. When it came the potatoes were rock hard underdone and stone cold. The salads came in a little tiny plastic box and looked like they'd been made the day before, and we didn't get any dressing. We brought the "baked" potatoes back to the window and asked if they would please microwave them until they were at least warm. A female employee came back with them and plopped them on the table. I started to ask her if we could get nut crackers for the lobster and she turned her back and stalked away. The potatoes were still cold, but it was obvious to us at that point that customer satisfaction was not high on the priority list, and that we should just forget about the sides and enjoy the meal and the company. Unfortunately, the steamed clams had been overcooked, so we might as well have dipped the lobster bands in butter and chewed away at those. The lobster was delicious, and the view was wonderful. I guess if you don't really know what great seafood tastes like, or if you're used to rude people waiting on you this wouldn't be so bad, but for us it was a huge disappointment, especially since we were trying to show our relatives a good time.

2 Thank Helen W
New Jersey
“Simple, delicious Lobster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

On a recent trip to Bar Harbor, our group ate at the Boothbay Lobster Wharf three times within a week--would have been more if we have more time. The lobsters were great, so was the lobster roll and the crab roll. A nice, relax rustic setting next to a working dock adds to the atmosphere. Definitely recommended.

• Visited August 2013