“The view almost redeemed it”

Fisherman's Wharf Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We pulled into Boothbay Harbor without reservations on a Thursday night in August and saw the vacancy sign at Fisherman's Wharf. There were three rooms left and we got a discounted rate of $150 for a room on the third (top) floor. The view from our room of the sunset on the harbor was fantastic. But that was about the only saving grace. The room itself was in sad condition. I appeared nothing had been updated since the seventies, even the towels. I can understand dated bathroom fixtures, but frayed towels? I have better in my rag basket at home. But once the suspect-looking bedspread was removed, the bed was comfortable enough and we got a good night's sleep. And we did wake up to that view.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Deb65

Reviewed August 29, 2010

After reading reviews both good and bad, we decided to book Fisherman's Wharf Inn for our two night stay in Boothbay Harbor based on its location, We were not disappointed! It perfectly located in the heart of the harbor with fantastic views both from our room and the dinning room. This is not a upscale hotel. The carpet and furnitures are old. The towels are the cheapest ones, But I can not complain about the cleanness,
The free breakfast is basic continental. The service is very good. We really enjouyed morning harbor view, even during the rainning morning.
The velet parking is really convenient, There was a wedding reception when we arrived, the velet parking really helped.
The wireless, which we used to look for restaurants for dinner, only worked in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Bihehue
Reviewed June 30, 2010

During the middle of June six of us (all couples) drove into Boothbay Harbor without reservations. We stopped at the visitor's center and viola - the lady asked us what our budget was (less than $100/night) and viola she called Fisherman's Wharf to reserve our bayview roooms. Within a few moments we arrived at the inn and checked in quickly. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor and had balconies overlooking the bay and part of the town. This hotel was a pleasant surprise.

Let me agree with some of the previous guests' reviews that the rooms are dated, with not so new furnishings, old carpets, floors were uneven, and there was a slight room odor. HOWEVER, for the price we paid at $95/night we were extremely pleased with our location, large size of the rooms, bayview balconies, and steps to everything you would want to do in Boothbay Harbor. There is a trade off between quality location and room quality when the room is acceptable. Boothbay Harbor had so much to offer that we only needed a place to sleep.

The valet car service of only $2 was a plus. The valet staff were very helpful and friendly letting us get into our car whenever we wanted to store stuff or get out what we may have forgot. Parking is very limited in Boothbay Harbor so we were happy with the arrangement.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank TexasCatBird
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I attended a wedding hosted at the Fisherman's Wharf Inn, and I was truly thrilled by the quality of service and special attention the guests received. The hotel accommodated our large group with ease, and the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and demonstrated a real interest in ensuring our needs and expectations were met. The food (catered by their onsite restaurant) was superb, and the views were unbeatable- the hotel had a great ambiance and really captured New England. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and everything was in working order. I heard nothing but positive comments from other guests- it was a real pleasure to be so well treated, and the staff proved to be capable enough that even the bride and groom were comfortable letting go of the details and having a great time. This is a great hotel in terms of location and New England charm- we are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank svm0101
Reviewed January 26, 2010

My wife and I visited this charming hotel on the shores of Boothbay Harbor last fall. We came at the right time, just when the foliage was in peak bloom, and views from our room, out over the water and across the harbor, were spectacular. Rooms could definatly be updated, but we didn't really expect the luxery of a chain hotel coming to a small town like Boothbay Harbor. The staff went out of their way to be friendly, suggesting many local activities to experience, and we got a discount for an affiliated whale watch- it was right next door, and we saw plenty of the local sea life on our tour. Definatly recommended for people looking for a nice "Maine coast" experience!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hungryal
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We were very disappointed in this hotel. While the location was perfect (right downtown)
the hotel needs a lot of attention. The carpeting throughout is very old fashioned and the
rooms need a major revamping and upgrading. There is an attempt to keep the place
clean but the rooms, halls common areas are very dated. There is a free breakfast
with the price of a room but it is just basic. The buffet Saturday a.m. was the least
interesting of any we have ever been to.
Our room was a corner suite with a balcony over the water but there was no table on
the balcony, just three white plastic chairs (one of which was broken). To see the water
view from the room you had to sit on several pillows to see out the window. There was
no sliding door to the balcony, just a door.
We would have moved to a different hotel but my husband had pneumonia and I
couldn't take the time to look around for something else. Thinking back, I should have
taken the time and effort to move as memories of a town revolve a lot around the place
you stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveler90
deanofthedesk, Front Desk Manager at Fisherman's Wharf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2010

Let me begin by saying that I am truly sorry whenever I hear that someone's trip to Boothbay Harbor was a disapointment. I live here year round, and treasure the area for its beauty, serenity and charm. Friendliness and cleanliness are two very important goals here at Fisherman's Wharf, and we will do our best in the future to make every guest's experience this lovely town a positive one.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

We went to check in after 7:30 pm and front desk clerk had already left for the night. Someone else waited on me and she gave me vouchers for breakfast but wasn't sure we'd be able to have breakfast due to the bus tour people who were also staying at the hotel. Bus tours evidentally take more precidence over other travelers. She demanded our keys even though we were parked out of everyone's way (we even showed her where the car was parked as the valets had also gone home.) The restaurant was already closed and she said someone should have told me that when I made reservations. The hallway leading to rooms 343 & 344 was something out of The God Father movies... a definite mildew smell throughout the halls and rooms. The furniture was totally outdated, the bathroom toilet seats were up and used prior to our arrival. There was dirt in the shower, the bed in room 344 was on a slant... need I say more. The best thing about this hotel was them refunding my 2 nights stay without any hassel. We stayed at the Tugboat Inn... the rooms there were fantastic. For $167.00 a night, I was totally disappointed and will never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Boothbay Harbor Inn
Boothbay Harbor Inn
#8 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#6 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Fisherman's Wharf Inn? Share your experiences!