“One of the best meals I've ever had!”
Review of Ports of Italy

Ports of Italy
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come and explore the cuisine of the Ports of Italy from our cozy restaurant on the waterfront in Boothbay Harbor.
Burlington, Vermont
“One of the best meals I've ever had!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

On our first visit (last year) Ports of Italy was excellent - and it did not disappoint on this visit a year later. I'd reserved through Open Table and asked for a harbor view if possible; we were seated on a deck that had a clear covering from the railing to the floor, blocking the cool ocean breeze but not the view. I had one of the most superb meals I've ever had, and my partner's was equally wonderful! We began with Affettato Misto (Prosciutto di Parma, salami, capocollo, goat cheese, olives & aged ricotta). The meats were excellent and the cheeses absolutely outstanding. My dinner of pistachio-crusted halibut was, quite simply, one of the best things I've ever eaten (and in the US, Montreal, Ottawa, France, Belgium and Germany, I've enjoyed many a memorable meal). The halibut was completely crusted with pistachios, and it was a true crust, with fabulous flavor. The fish itself was moist, tender & flaky; if there is one moment when fish is perfectly done but not overcooked, the chef captured that moment. My companion's Veal Marsala was melt-in-your mouth tender, and I noticed that he was swirling each bite in the sauce. As he's not a lover of sauces or gravies, it says a lot that his plate was almost clean when he finished. He'd left a bit of sauce, so I dipped a morsel of bread and tasted; all I can say it - THAT is what veal marsala was meant to taste like! The veal stock had the richness and depth that only comes from long, careful cooking, and the resulting sauce was divine. We finished with Tiramisu that was moist without being soggy and an apple strudel that I didn't get to taste, as my partner ate up every crumb. It was a meal that I will never forget, and I know we'll be back next summer. Right now, I wish Boothbay were not 6 hours away!
P.S. Make a reservation - it's as popular as it deserves to be!

• Visited August 2014

Pembroke
“Excellent food”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stopped in to Port of Italy by chance. The steep dark steps were curious and the small tight seating area on the deck was cozy but busy and noisy. The staff was attentive and prompt to begin with but then hard to locate after the meal was served. The food really was excellent and guess that's what we truly were there for. Extensive wine list, full bar too but limited beer choices,generous desserts.

• Visited August 2014
Providence, Rhode Island
“Special Evening Out”
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

$$$, Excellent Food, Average Service, Very Busy and Noisy. First serving of bread was excellent. Second serving was very plain.

1 Thank GlenTerra
Abington, Pennsylvania
“best restaurant in town”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We weren't especially interested in an Italian restaurant in the heart of seafood country, but our innkeeper raved about it so we went. What fabulous food! And I think I've eaten in some spectacular Italian restaurants. It is as good as the ones in Italy.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Mary Ann E
Augusta, Maine
“I love it here”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

An amazing Italian restaurant in Boothbay Harbor. Be aware that's in on the second floor and I don't know if there's an elevator. Service is impeccable and the menu has delicious choices. I had a cold plate of meats and cheeses as my entree after a nice glass of Pinot Grigio. My companion had the Cioppino with clams and lobster and fish and squid and shrimp and scallops in a broth. Very full of seafood! Great rolls are served in a paper bag (odd touch but kind of fun) and fruited flat water is available if you don't want the sparkling Pellegrino that's on the table as you arrive. We eat here on every trip to Boothbay Harbor and have always been seated on the deck.

Visited August 2014