“Italian on the porch”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come and explore the cuisine of the Ports of Italy from our cozy restaurant on the waterfront in Boothbay Harbor.
Florida
“Italian on the porch”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Given that Boothbay Harbor is a tourist destination, Ports is a step above the usual red gravy Italian--with a very welcoming maitre d'. Located on the 2nd floor with both indoor and outdoor porch seating, the food here is consistently good. There is a variety of pasta and meat dishes as well as an especially light and summery fennel and orange salad. A favorite of ours is the veal saltimbocca. They also have an antipasto buffet of a number of cold vegetables and the like.

Visited July 2014

“Not worth the hassle”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

First of all, I understand that many restaurants around need to take reservations, I get it. But for a Sunday night with only 2 people we get an incredibly rude host who seemed bothered by us that we didn't even have a reservation? And instead of pleasantly telling us it would be 15, 30, or even 45 minute wait, he walks away and points at 2 seats buried at the end of the bar if we want to sit there--and we never saw him again.

We've heard the food is quite good here, but honestly, we want the full experience--we don't always go to a restaurant JUST for the food--this place has barely a view of the harbor (not worth it in my opinion), no outdoor seating, and clearly no good first point of contact.

We won't be going back, instead we went to Brown's Wharf--excellent 5 star restaurant!

2 Thank Btetrault
Jay, New York
“Worth the Wait!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Excellent food and service and soooo worth the wait. We voluntarily waited for over an hour at the bar while we shared a bottle of wine and met new friends. I had a caprese salad served in a crispy Parmesan bowl and the lobster ravioli. Definitely will go back next time we are in town.

Visited July 2014
Acton, Massachusetts
“They don't care about you.”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were in Boothbay for my boyfriends 30th birthday and having an absolutely amazing time. After much thought, we decided to try Ports of Italy for his birthday dinner. We were so excited to try it after seeing the menu while walking by. We thought it would be fun to get a bottle of wine and multiple courses to celebrate the occasion. We walked into the restaurant without a reservation but not feeling hungry at the time so wanted to ask what the wait time would be. Once we got to the top of the stairs we were met with a most unpleasant host. His first question (no, he didn't even say hi) was "do you have a reservation?". I proceeded to explain that we didn't and attempted to say that we were just wondering what the wait time would be but before I could get any of that out of my mouth he pointed to the corner of the room and said "You can sit at the end at the bar. That is it."

I turned back to my boyfriend to ask what he would like to do since it was his birthday and while I was turning my head the host vanished. Apparently he had more important things to do as he NEVER came back to us. As self proclaimed "foodies" it didn't take more than a second to realize that it wasn't worth the hassle of being served, especially regarding the celebration. What a cold and unpleasant place to visit.

We HIGHLY suggest going to Brown's Wharf instead. This is where we ended up after visiting Trip Advisor again and had one of the most amazing nights we can remember. Everything from the hostess to waitress and food was absolutely excellent. We sat outside and watched the sun set as the clouds parted (something you won't see from Ports of Italy) AND was able to watch and entire fireworks show from the dock after we finished our meal. And yes. We left our waitress a $40 tip on an $80 bill... money that would have been spent at Ports of Italy if the host would have given us the time of day.

Bangor, Maine
“Splendid Food and Service”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We chose Ports of Italy for dinner today. I was expecting another tourist trap restaurant. My wife and I we amazed with the great food and service. It was by far the best Italian food we have had in many years. I had the Chicken Ripieno and Mousse cioccolate for dessert. My wife had the Halibut
and Tiramisu for dessert. .Plentiful servings. Outstanding service. During dinner we could not help but rave about the dinner. Excellent value for the price paid. We look forward to dining there again in the near future.