“small plates”

Boathouse Bistro Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This restaurant had a fantastic deck and lots of delicious small plates to choose from…scallops were fabulous!

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

It is possibly the best view in town. Great selection of cocktails. The Thermidor lobster was good. The beet salad uniquely done, but the falafel wrap was a disaster pulling down the score. Service was leisurely and the staff a bit untrained. Overall above average . The trio of bread pudding was great and left a good taste overall.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We ate here for lunch, as the place was highly recommended by a local merchant. I thought the prices a bit high, but after all it is the coast of Maine and peak tourist season, so it was all relative. The food was delicious! The view from the roof top dining area was beautiful! I would go back again and recommend it to my friends. Just make sure you are willing to climb stairs! We had to go up three flights to get to the roof!

1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Boathouse Bistro is in the heart of Boothbay Harbor offering a variety of tapas and main selections. I had dinner there a couple of nights ago and started off with a Sapphire & tonic. When Hannah, our charming waitress, brought back a 16 oz. tumbler that didn't skimp on the gin, I was impressed. A fully loaded menu was also pretty impressive. My wife and I decided to try several tapas and Hannah gave us a heads-up not to order too much because "you can always ask for more." We followed her advice and ordered the duck and pears, the pistachio-crusted scallops, and hummus with sliced veggies and pita bread. We both enjoyed the scallops and hummus, which I would recommend to all. The duck, however, although smoked, had a rather metallic taste. I'd skip them. We still had some room left so we ordered the spicy chicken empanadas. I took a bite and they were all dough. Took another. More dough. There was a little chicken in there, but very little. I'd skip them, too. The other menu offerings looked promising, but we were already full. If you go, you'll find appetizers of oysters, salmon tartar, lobster salad & stuffed tomatoes. Or, you can have green salad, various seafood or meat dishes (chicken, pork tenderloin, steak, veal & lamb chops) and, of course, more lobster. You don't have to spend much for a burger: $10 or you can spend a little more for a griller: $14. Lamb chops will set you back $32 and market rates apply to lobster. The Boathouse Bistro is decked out (no pun intended) in a nautical design and can be formal or informal, whatever your choice. There is a bar on the second floor and roof-top dining on the third. Great table-side service by our friendly waitress, Hannah. I'd come back to try more items on the menu. Park on the street or in one of the local lots.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

On a rainy night during Windjammer Days, my partner and I were recommended to this place. It was fairly busy inside, but no wait time. The menu is large, and has a little bit of something for everyone. We decided to order the salsa scallop tapas special, chowder, a fried avocado salad, hanger steak, and volcano rock steak. Honestly, the food was either a total hit or miss. The scallops were excellent. My Mainer partner has had scallops literally millions of times, and even he admitted that the were absolutely the best scallops he had ever had in his entire life. They were perfectly cooked and seasoned. The chowder was decent but nothing special. The avocado salad was served with what I think was ranch dressing, but whatever it was, a flavor that didn't match at all. My steak was extremely tough and didn't have a lot of flavor. However, my partner's steak was amazing. Served on a hot volcanic rock, he was able to cook it exactly to his liking, and it had great seasoning. A real foodie, he liked the experience of being able to interact with his food at the table. We had a cheesecake for dessert, which was also really good, and their sangrias are to die for. While I didn't have to wait long for my food, and my waitress was friendly, she seemed a little absent minded. For instance, we asked what sides came with the steaks, but when we received them, they did not come with what we had been told, and we had to call the waitress back over to swap them out since she didn't realize the mistake. Easily fixed though, not a big deal. The atmosphere is nice, coastal without being cheesy. Also, probably not for the budget traveler, as it is a little pricey, but I don't mind paying more for good food. Overall, I would recommend this place. But next time, I would like to try more tapas and skip the entrees.