“Awesome food and sangria!”

Boathouse Bistro Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Awesome food and sangria!”
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Awesome food and sangria!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Brookline, Massachusetts
“Creative, contemporary seafood tapas - delicious!”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

This restaurant was recommended to us by local B&B owners, so we wanted to give it a try.

With three floors, a seafood tapas menu and a regular menu, there's something for everyone at this bistro. The top floor is a patio and offers a scenic view of boothbay harbor. Run, don't walk to the Boathouse Bistro. Here's why: the chef is Austrian, and her creative recipes of unexpected and delicious flavors had us wanting to order one tapas after another - so we did.

Our waiter, who happened to be married to the chef, did a great job of explaining the dishes. He gave us recommendations and spent a good amount of time talking to us about the food and the menu. We couldn't have asked for a friendlier waiter, and his sense of humor went a long way.

We had a 4-hour, unforgettable meal of seafood tapas. We ate slow, enjoyed every bite and it was a true culinary adventure! We started with european cucumber cups with main lobster salad - picture large slices of cucumber stuffed with chopped Maine lobster with just the right amound of mayo and scallions. Mmmm. Then we ordered a lobster potato cake with a light saffron sauce. Both tapas were delicious!

Next, we had pan seared Maine maple scallops, served with crispy risotto cakes and a maple syrup & blueberry sauce. At first I thought - scallops and blueberry sauce don't mix. Boy was I wrong.

We saw cross cut waffle fries coming out the kitchen with all the sandwich orders around us and just had to try them. They were the best waffle fries I've ever had. I am not kidding.

A few more of the amazing tapas we had - Maine mussels with artichoke hearts, pine nuts, garlic tomatoes and fresh herbs..and
Fried manchango cheese - Spain's most famous cheese, fried and served with a pineapple curry.

About an hour later, we had room for dessert and tried a trio of strudels - cheese and bluberry, apple and raison and peach and cream. It was the perfect end to one of the best meals I've had in a long time.

I highly recommend the Boathouse Bistro if you are in the mood for small plates of creative cuisine. The prices are incredibly reasonable, the staff is friendly and the view is great (if you sit on the patio). I have only good things to say about this place, although I REALLY wish it wasn't 3 hours from where I live!

3 Thank mayacabo