“Best lobster rolls and crab cakes ever”
Review of The Lobster Dock

The Lobster Dock
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Locally caught lobster is our specialty. Several hundred pounds are stored in our sea water tank. You may select your own from the tank and watch as they are prepared for cooking in our large outdoor pots. We have all sizes of the tasty shellfish, from one to four pounds. To those new to lobster, we will gladly assist on how to best eat them and explain the differences between hard and soft shell. The Outdoor Patio at The Lobster Dock The flavor of Maine is further captured in our other offerings. Stews and chowders are prepared daily from only the freshest ingredients. The shrimp and scallops we use are caught in the waters of the Boothbay Region. Clams are also supplied by local diggers most every day. Our mussels are grown on a salt water farm in Tenants Harbor. Fish caught in the North Atlantic are supplied to us from Boothbay Fish Dealers. We accept only the freshest available. It is not unusual for us to refuse deliveries that do not meet our quality standards.
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We loved our meal at the Lobster Dock. The lobster roll was served with butter on a warm roll. The meat is from soft shelled younger lobster, which is tastier and more tender. We ate a lobster roll at Red's (the famous roadside stand) and then an hour later at the Lobster Dock. The Lobster Dock won hands down.

Mitch Weiss, the owner, won the crab cake throwdown with Bobby Flay and after tasting them there is no doubt why.

The NE clam chowder is also wonderful. I do not like the variety that is so thick that the spoon stands up in it. It's just too gloppy for me. At the Lobster Dock the soup is rich and buttery with an intense clam flavor that many other chowders lack.

We will be back the next time we are in Booth Bay without doubt.

2  Thank Doccalifornia
Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed October 12, 2009

The Lobster "twins' (two one & a quarter pound lobsters) for $20 was a very good value and they were fresh and very tasty. The sides are pretty standard for a shack-type meal, fries, slaw salads etc. The second meal was a complete disappointment, however. The order of fried oysters ended up being such small pieces of meat, that I'm sure the oysters were cut into fourths, heavily coated in batter, then fried. Several chunks of dough were opened to reveal no meat inside at all. As this was the start of our trip, we didn't raise a fuss, but we wouldn't recommend anything but the lobster.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

The major difference between the Lobster Dock and the Coop is the menu that offers a greater variety of seafood. Also, a big plus is the fact that the lobster comes with the claws already cracked and the tail split. Makes eating a lobster easier and no juice running down your arms. The crab cakes are very good and if you have children they offer chicken fingers, etc.

3  Thank RMJMW
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I can honestly say I'm not quite sure what the super hype was about. It's a cute place. However here are a few notes on what I personally ordered & my experience:
1. I thought the outdoor ordering process was quite charming. I like different experiences.
2. Beer (Stella) I ordered on tap was very flat, and it seemed to be a real issue that my bf went back politely and told them, asked for somethings else & even told them we would have no problem paying for it, it was just an FYI, and they were really rude about it.
3. Clam chowder was very watery...quite surprised about that being that we were in Maine.
4. I ordered the friend shrimp entree dinner, I mean they advertised that it was large friend shrimp, and when I say STANDARD tiny popcorn shrimp, I mean standard popcorn shrimp.
5. Biscuits absolutely tasty. Loved them.
6. Corn very sweet. Def. order.
7. My boyfriend ordered the baked Haddock and it was good. Flavorful. But nothing special.
8. He got his meal on a plastic plate, and I got mine on a paper plate. I don't have an issue with this but there really was no consistency. Just seemed like there was no effort placed in service.

So overall this place was good, standard, def. NOT how others have hyped this place up. Go to any seafood restaurant and get the same flare. I was really expecting something really outstanding and was so disappointed.

1  Thank Laura N
Reviewed September 27, 2009

The large clam chowder we ordered was basically a cup of milk with some butter and garlic for seasoning. There were a few pieces of potato and a miniscule amout of clam at the bottom of the cup. No thick, creamy chowder here! Very disappointing. Crabcakes were tasteless except for the mustard that was on top, and the corm salsa they rested on could only be called bland. The prices were high enough that the food should have been top quality. What was Bobby Flay thinking???

2  Thank GFCTx