“Fun Water Activity in Boothbay”

Tidal Transit Kayak
Ranked #7 of 15 Tours in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We took the lighthouse tour, which went from the harbor to an island further out in the bay. It was not a strenuous trip, more leisurely. Our guide was Rippy, a former male model who is friendly, very laid back and interesting to talk to. Instead of the 2 hour trip, our trip was 3, because Tidal is relaxed like that. They even offered for us to try out a paddle board for free or to swim off their dock any time. Price was around $45 per person. Kayaks are for rent without a guide, which run cheaper.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family and I recently went on our first kayaking trip in Bar Harbor and had a great time. We decided to try it again in Boothbay and expected the same experience but it was disappointing. We saw 1 osprey and our guide told us seals are rare to spot. I can understand that wildlife is not a guarantee but I did ask if we will be seeing wildlife and they responded yes.
I was a irritated that our guide would paddle ahead of us to talk to the locals. It was not just a "hello" but a full length conversation. This happened twice. We literally stop and waited for him to finish his conversation. I do not mean to be picky but at $45 for 2 hours, I do expect undivided attention for the most part. Another complaint was a skirt was not provided like other kayak outfitters. Since the skirts are not provided, I would expect the seats to be wipe off at least before I sat it in. My pants were wet before we paddle out. We rode on a two seater kayak. I didnt realize the first seat can be adjusted too. Since my seat wasnt adjusted, my legs were flat during the whole trip. Overall, I didnt have a enjoyable experience.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Recently went on the three-hour morning harbor kayak tour to the lighthouse and back. Even with the overcast, slightly rainy weather, it was a great experience. The guide was fun and had a lot of great anecdotes about the area and the different houses. We even had a seal come right up to us to investigate what we were doing! I'd never been on a kayak before, and the staff at Tidal Transit was great, making sure that I was comfortable before casting off. Highly recommended! It's fun and a fantastic workout, too!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We arranged for a kayak camping trip through Tidal Transit and it was amazing.
They provided all the equipment including sleeping bags, tents, kayaks, food, and a guide to go with us for two days.

We set up camp on a beautiful island off the coast and then explored some scenic bays and inlets in the area.

Our guide was fantastic as he prepared all food (Delicious and hearty!),did all cooking and cleaning and other utility work so we could relax and enjoy the trip. He was really friendly and helpful and shared experience and history of the area as we paddled along.

Also, the Boothbay Harbor area seems to be particularly suited to sea kayaking as there are many small islands, inlets, bays, tidal rivers and so forth that are very interesting to explore, and many areas are sheltered from direct winds and waves from the open ocean..perhaps more so than other areas of the coast.

We have done some day trips before, but staying overnight on a coastal island is an experience beyond the usual. Seeing the sunset and sunrise, the morning fog with lobster boats working their traps, watching the full moon over the ocean, it was just incredible.

Overall, our guide worked really hard so we could just enjoy, Tidal Transit made all the arrangements for us..all we had to do was show up.

It was a fantastic experience, and we would totally recommend Tidal Transit for an adventure that definitely made our vacation a huge success.

1  Thank traveler541
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Fun 3 hr kayak tour to Burnt Island. Ralph our instructor and tour guide a hoot! Great value as you learn kayak basics and are regaled with Ralphs'. Harbor history stories.