“Boat is their only gimmick”
Review of chowder house

chowder house
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had lunch - VERY limited menu. My salad with smoked salmon was good. Sandwiches (grilled cheese for one and artichoke parmesan for other were rejected as blah) too much bread, not enough filling. Blueberry pie was a 7 out of 10. Service was fairly good but not great and all plastic ware. Stay for the view, elsewhere for food.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The service was bad (the bar tender yelled towards us from the bar), food and drinks were served on plastic with plastic spoons and forks. We opted for water instead of alcohol and we rapidly became "persona-non-grata". While the smoked salmon chowder was tasty, it did not make up for the awful lobster chowder or the lobster roll. Over 30$ for 2 chowders and a bad lobster roll. For a place called the Chowder House, they should actually deliver what they call themselves.

1  Thank Martin R
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The clam was the worst I ever had. It was all liquid and a few potatoes. God knows where the haddock was. There wasn't any. When I told the waitress, her reply was I saw him put it in. She returns and comes back with a spoonful of shredded haddock that was floating on the top of the soup. She says there you go its in the middle , gave me a dirty look and walked away. I lost my apetite. My husband ordered a grilled cheese and it arrived on a hamburger bun with what looked like a slice of velveta.
The people next to me ordered a grilled barbecue chicken sandwich which looked like they took a bottle of barbecue sause and squirted it on top of the sandwich.
Beer was like luke warm.
The place is a diaster. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Everything is poor quality. Its a shame because it has a great atmosphere but was ruined by the nighmare food.

1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Boat bar is creative recycling. Staff friendly. Service OK. Food nothing to rave about. Has local beer on tap and bottled.
Chowder house was closed but bar was open and served basic food.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A fan of New England clam chowder and being a native Texan, couldn't not get chowder while at the Chowder House. Excellent! It is thin with butter floating on top and lots of clam bits. So far, this is the best chowder I've ever had (and I really do order it every chance I get when up in the Northeast). Gorgeous spot.