“Very exciting - not for little kids”
Review of Schooner Eastwind

Schooner Eastwind
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Boothbay Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail the waters of delightful Boothbay Harbor on our 65-foot schooner. See lighthouses, the outer islands, and sea wildlife on a two hour cruise. The Smith family has 30 years of boat building and sea adventures to share with you.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a very mixed experience on this trip. I loved it and my older kids loved it but it was very stressful trying to reassure my 4 and 7 year olds that we were safe and the boat wouldn't tip all of the way over. There was wind so we were sideways bracing ourselves most of the time. There were a few times that I was actually nervous myself but mostly I was excited. My 7 year old was crying and so upset that she stayed below deck with my husband for at least half of the trip. It was more of an exciting, rough sail than a relaxing one.
Unless your kids are experienced sailors or adrenalin junkies, maybe wait until they are older or the wind is calmer. Same for Seniors.

1  Thank HeatherLRH

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This 65' schooner-rigged sailboat slices smoothly through the harbor and out past Ocean Point and the tip of Southport Island. Our captain, Bill, is an experienced sailor who knows his boat and knows the waters. Our mate, Jerry, is a local native, who knows the area and its culture very well. We saw cormorants, eiders, gulls, a seal, a loon. We watched lobstermen tend their traps. The views of the Maine coast are beautiful.

1  Thank wcorkern
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Fantastic sailing experience. Would sail again and again and again with Bill & Jerry. Wish we could do this every day! Interesting commentary and gorgeous scenery! The best!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

First, if you never visited the Boothbay Harbor, Me. region, you will not regret a short or longer term visit to this fishing village and boating center. Second, It may be difficult to find a comparable 2+ hr. sail of this quality for $30 on the (H. Smith) family owned 65 ft. schooner crewed by two excellent sailors who take the boat in and around the inner and outer harbor. I sailed on the boat annually for more than five years. Only once in that time has the wind failed to produce a lively sail. The boat was built for round the world travel and is stable enough in the near shore breezes to give the inexperienced (and the experienced) a fun and picturesque event. For added excitement, visit and sail in early August during the Shipyard Cup Races (maybe the name is not exactly right) when you can see and perhaps sail beside some of the mega sail boats built locally in East Boothbay.,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had an amazing sail with Herb Smith. The day was perfect and the sail was perfect. So interested in Herb's story that I bought the book about his sailing life when I got home. Don't hesitate to do this trip.