“A Sparkling Day on the Water” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schooner Lazy Jack

Schooner Lazy Jack
Ranked #9 of 13 Tours in Boothbay Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Lazy Jack takes her lines from the traditional Gloucester fishing schooners of the 1850's and has had a colorful and notorious history as a fishing and passenger charter schooner. During the early years Lazy Jack sailed between the East Coast, Man O War Key and Cuba running guns, rum, cigars and bananas. Today Lazy Jack offers 2 hr. day sails or private charters from Pier 1 in Boothbay Harbor celebrating 66 years of continuous sailing and 10 years as Boothbay Harbors only historic working schooner. Lazy Jack is owner operated by Captain Joe Tassi and his son Michael.
Rochester
“A Sparkling Day on the Water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We planned a 4 hour sail on the Schooner Lazy Jack to celebrate an 80th birthday. We had a lovely day both in the harbor and out on the open ocean. Captain Jack was great to talk to and entertained us with interesting stories. It was nice that we were able to bring whatever drinks and snacks we wished to. Everyone in our party of 15, of all ages, really enjoyed the sail. Would definitely recommend.

Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Excellent Maine experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I planned our harbor cruise for a day that was too foggy... and the captain changed it to the following day which was..perfect. I've been on 2 week long schooner cruises and wanted my family to experience some of that peaceful, happy feeling. The Captain and mate were very friendly and nice and always answered our questions about the area and about the history of the Lazy Jack. I know some people aren't happy because the sail is mostly just quiet. But if you enjoy taking pictures of the ships, birds, and lighthouses you see and have a good imagination, you'll love it like I did. My rating is.... excellent!

Rochester, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great sunset sail!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

If your looking for a quiet sail around the harbor, this is perfect! Beautiful schooner and friendly crew!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nice afternoon cruise.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

There was not much commentary on this 2 hour cruise. We were reminded to tip the mate and heard a rant about previous bad trip advisor reviews. We were fortunate to have good weather and a pleasant enough time. You can BYOB and snacks.

Visited July 2013
captainjoe1, Owner at Schooner Lazy Jack, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Rant.. I think not. Ok maybe. I mean why should it bother me that TA has created a forum that allows anyone to write a review that can be light on facts and savage you with misinformation and that the only forum we as owners have to respond is to take time to refute every inaccurate statement that remains online forever, or that TA forces businesses to become review driven rather than service driven or that the TA forum makes it easy for nameless faceless assaults to potentially damage your business reputation. Is that a rant? And I didn't ask you to tip the first mate, I asked you to thank him if you felt it was appropriate. But rant...? And in my introduction and safety review, I did make clear that I don't do a 2 hr. running commentary. And yes, it was a nice afternoon sail.
Salem, Massachusetts
“Great day on the water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Fog was drifting in and out of Boothbay Harbor on the morning my family and I had a reservation for a 10 am tour. About 15 minutes before sailing, Captain Joe described what the conditions would be like out on the water and gave us the option of sailing close to the shore or allowing us to change to a 12 noon tour. We all agreed to be optimistic and take the 10 am tour. It was a good decision - - the cruise turned out to be the highlight of our Maine vacation!
Captain Joe regaled us with stories about the Schooner Lazy Jack and its rich history, the local lore and scenery around us. We learned the language of sailing and marveled at the skill of the crew.
If you are looking for a an intimate personalized tour on a historic and beautiful sailboat you will be glad you picked the Schooner Lazy Jack!

Visited June 2013