“Loved It!”
Review of Schooner Lazy Jack

Schooner Lazy Jack
Ranked #9 of 15 Tours in Boothbay Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Lazy Jack takes her lines from the traditional Gloucester fishing schooners of the 1850's and has had a colorful and notorious history as a fishing and passenger charter schooner. During the early years Lazy Jack sailed between the East Coast, Man O War Key and Cuba running guns, rum, cigars and bananas. Today Lazy Jack offers 2 hr. day sails or private charters from Pier 1 in Boothbay Harbor celebrating 66 years of continuous sailing and 10 years as Boothbay Harbors only historic working schooner. Lazy Jack is owner operated by Captain Joe Tassi and his son Michael.
Norton, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved It!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I took the 12:30 cruise with our daughter and her friend, there were 6 others with us. I cannot say enough good things about this cruise. Captain Joe and his First Mate Robbie were very easy to talk with! A seal came up to the boat and hung around a bit and the girls were thrilled. This was a wonderful, relaxing time and we highly recommend it. I'd love to do a half day charter sometime. (Last year we did a "ferry type" cruise in Booth Bay and hated it - what a difference!)

Vienna, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great escape!”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

First visit to the Boothbay Harbor area and found lots to do, but the highlight was our two-hour sail on the Schooner Lazy Jack. Have to say the reviews were right - beautiful, lovingly restored historic boat that just takes you back in time, knowledgeable and friendly staff and a Captain and mate that get what it means to just want to kick back and relax. Friendly and affable, but not too in your face, we just loved the peace and quiet. This is NOT a harbor tour for you folks looking to be talked to the whole time -- "this on the left and that on the right." While Captain Joe and mate Robbie know the area like the back of their hands they let the passangers set the tone for the trip. Our group, which was almost a full boat, relished the time to just totally zone out. We'll be back again next summer!

1 Thank Dotty22180
Iowa, USA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Just OK”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Perhaps my expectations were too high.
Posters to tripadvisor have had great things to say about their Lazy Jack cruise. It was also recommended by our innkeeper at the Harborage Inn who steered us to several great spots during our stay in Boothbay Harbor.
The cruise was pleasant but certainly not a trip highlight. The captain was not very talkative and we got little information about the boat and really none about the harbor area we were sailing in. We found this disappointing. Perhaps it was an off day...everyone has them.
For us the trip did not compare well to other sailing cruises we have been on.

2 Thank Donnysaur
captainjoe1, Owner at Schooner Lazy Jack, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
I am sorry that you felt your sail was "Just OK" As a rule, I do not offer a running commentary on the area. I try to get a sense of the people on the boat and allow an unscripted exchange to take place between myself and my guests. And I always answer questions to the best of my ability. Some guests are quiet and simply want to take in the historic schooner, the cruising grounds and wild life while enjoying a fews hours of peace and quiet with family and friends. Others, are more engaging and ask questions about the lobsterman, the fishing process and the surrounding sights making it easier to interact with them. It is regretable that I missread your interest for more information on your sail. Capt. Joe
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
“One of a kind trip”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My friends and I wanted something fun and different to do in the harbor, and someone had suggested taking a trip on the Lazy Jack - I'm so glad we took their advice! The boat is really pretty and the views of the harbor are even prettier. With only 10 of us on board we were able to relax and chat with the Captain; he's an excellent story teller and has had some really neat experiences, ask him about life in Nashville =) If you're looking for a great way to see the harbor with an entertaining atmosphere, go for a sail on the Lazy Jack! Our afternoon sail was a lot of fun, I can't wait to go again for the sunset trip!

Michigan
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“It's the real deal”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I had never been on a larger sailboat and wanted to see the harbor, so the Lazy Jack seemed like a good choice. I'm not a fan of huge tour boats where I have to take my pictures by holding my camera up over people's heads. This schooner seats only a dozen or so people so the views from the boat are outstanding. The skipper has many years of sailing experience; he and his son are obviously very good at what they do, raising & lowering sail while chatting with passengers and answering questions about the area. We don't know squat about sailing so were kind of in awe watching them handle the wheel, the ropes, the sails, the booms--although the wind was light, we made good time out into the harbor, after some tricky maneuvering around boats, piers, & buoys around the slip.
Great experience. Bring a camera and a jacket--the sea breeze is chilly outside the protected areas of the harbor. I wouldn't bring very young children; the railing is simply a couple of ropes and you are right on the water. But I would recommend bringing a nice glass of wine to make it a perfect afternoon!

Visited June 2011