“Boothbay Harbor and the Spruce Point Inn - A First Visit”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I have been to Maine on many occasions, but had never been to Boothbay Harbor and had not heard of the Spruce Point Inn. After reading the excellent reviews and seeing the photos, we decided it might be the perfect place for us.

We were not disappointed. We stayed in the Puffin building, and had a lovely large room with sitting area and a huge bathroom with garden tub and a separate large walk-in shower. I noticed that someone said rooms needed updating; but ours was in a more modern building, so was perfect.

My husband was in a cast so we had already booked our room which was very close to the more casual restaurant and bar, Bogie's. It was just a few steps away. We actually ate breakfast and dinner there all three days of our visit.

Bogie's also had a wonderful view, delicious food, and good service thanks to Ben, Heidi, and Billie!

I know that the Spruce Point Inn is getting ready to close down for the season, but you would never know it. Everything was top notch, and we hope to go back there and to Boothbay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 7, 2013

First visit this September and loved it. Truly relaxing and comfortable. Staff, at every turn, were courteous, caring and extremely helpful. A superb bunch! Nice dining with varied menu -- almost too-large portions. Delicious. Having wine around the woodburning fireplace in the Inn warmed us up as the weather was turning chilly. Our room, in the Inn, was on 3rd Floor with, of course, 3 flights of stairs. Nice and large, quiet and clean. Lovely partial ocean view from our room which was fine with us because we were out alot anyway. Walking the impeccable grounds and shoreline was easy, and in Sept. we enjoyed fewer people and vehicles. Sunsets from the Inn's front porch are amazing -- a photographer's dream. Even on a cold day we enjoyed the sun on their porch -- just take a wrap and remind someone to wake you. Couldn't have chosen a better place -- I don't think there is one out there.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms -- be aware you will climb 3 flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IssueBiggs
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Year after year I head to the spa at Spruce Point Inn for a day of relaxation, and they never disappoint. The atmosphere and staff are great and really add to the experience. I would recommend Spruce Point Inn to anyone who enjoys being pampered. When you finish with your time at the spa, pop over to one of Spuce's delicious restaurants. It really completes the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited for our second year, we can't imagine vacationing anywhere else. We have met some wonderful people during our stays at SPI, and the staff goes out of their way to make you comfortable and resolve any issues that may arise. We tend to enjoy dining at Bogies because it's casual and more our style. There is a more upscale restaurant for those who prefer a fine dining experience. The grounds are kept impeccable and the views top any I've seen in any of my travels. I take hundreds of photos each time I visit SPI. We'll be back in the fall for our annual visit. Thanks to all at Spruce Point who work hard to make our visits special.

Room Tip: We love the views from the Ocean front cottage rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the resort from Sept. 20-24th, 2013. We were in one of the "modern lodges." Our room was very spacious and we had a lovely partial ocean view. I gave the property 4 out of 5 stars because the accommodations are in need of a renovation, and it seems that many reviews on the various travel sites indicate this. The main building of the inn that houses the registration and the three restaurants is stunning. The decor is in very good taste and the furnishings are lovely. This is not to say that the rooms are in poor shape or unclean; the rooms seem to be very well cared for and were spotless. However, the rooms are done in a very traditional early to mid 1990's decor and will eventually need to be redone in order to keep the property in line with both the era and the main building. In the meantime, an easy upgrade would be better pillows in the rooms. I believe that a good pillow goes a long way. We ate at Bogie's the first night and had planned to eat at 88 (the finer dining) on another night but the food was so delicious at Bogie's that we ate there every single night. I have never been so impressed with a resort restaurant, and I never dreamed that I would be so impressed as to not look for any other dining options. My husband and I must have tried everything on the menu through the course of our stay, and the lobster mac and cheese was probably my favorite. They also have the best french fries in the world, hands down. The manager, Benjamin, delivered impeccable service throughout our stay and we did not want for anything. I was very impressed with the "green" program offered by the property as well. You are rewarded with a $10 restaurant credit each night you opt out of housekeeping. This might have lured us there the first night, but the food and service kept us coming back. We hope to return someday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Spruce Point for your recent stay in Boothbay Harbor. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the classic Inn, dining, and resort amenities. SPI is Maine's Classic Resort. Classic heritage in today's lifestyle.

In 2011, we updated ALL of the public space and accommodations at the resort. In 2012 and 2013, along with additional updated furnishings and décor in The Inn, Cottages, and Cottage Rooms, we also began to fine tune the décor in our 57 Modern Lodge Rooms. We are using a Maine Coast Cottage palette of painted woods and furnishings along with bright coastal cottage colors, fabrics, and historic art and photography.

This Spring we completed the décor update in the Seabreeze Modern Lodge. Guests have been very complimentary of the painted trim and wainscoting. I would like to show you some images and get your opinion of the direction we are headed, which is based on our hotel lobby and the 88.

Please contact me at your convenience so I may send you some photos. Thank you again for your comments and time. I look forward to sharing our plans with you.

Angelo DiGiulian

adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at Spruce Point Inn in August. The Inn is beautiful and well kept. The grounds and pool area was immaculate. We stayed in a suite that was spacious & clean and had gorgeous views of the ocean. Our Room was on the top floor of the main building. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The free rides to and from the Inn via, boat or van was always available to us. We would definitely stay at Spruce Point Inn again. There was only on Issue… We only stayed for one night

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at SPI in September. The inn is beautiful and well kept. The room we stayed in was spacious & clean and had gorgeous views of the ocean. The food and service were exceptional. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We would definitely stay at SPI again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Southport
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!