“Best part of Every Summer”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Narragansett, Rhode Island
“Best part of Every Summer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Summer is highlighted with our annual stay at the Spruce Point Inn. This experience is beyond any other Inn we've ever visited. This year the weather was outstanding but even in previous years when the weather was rainy the coziness of the Inn was inviting to cuddle up with a book and enjoy the views. We look forward to our visit no matter what weather conditions. "Best part of the summer".

Room Tip: West facing rooms are always our favorite. Most beautiful susets!
2 Thank Dleighton44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at SPI. The location is beautiful and the main inn and the cabins were nice and clean. The people were also nice and attentive. The pool area is small but nice, a little noisy when there are a lot of kids but we still enjoyed it. The sunsets from this location are beautiful. We ate dinner at Bogie's and it was good. Overall, we would recommend SPI to our friends for a relaxing weekend and for families with kids as there are a lot of activities for kids and adults alike.

1 Thank IdaL81
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Spruce Point Inn with our two toddlers in cottage room Starboard C. Overall it was a pleasant experience. The main lodge common areas are lovely and relaxing and the grounds are nicely maintained. We enjoyed staying in a place where we could get some pretty good food as a family or in shifts while we kept the kids busy. There was plenty to do on the grounds: mini hiking trails, pools, a playground with sandbox and boat play structures, and a fabulous little rec hall with a play kitchen, train set, push toys, and arcades. There was also a lot to do nearby: the Botanical Garden has a wonderful children's garden that kept our two year olds busy for two hours and they could have gone longer! The railway museum was great and had a special Thomas day. For us, the place was beautiful and the bar tender was good!

However, there were some strange oversights:
1) My biggest complaint was our mattress. It was the worst mattress I have ever experienced in a hotel. It seemed like it was 10+ years old and something you would find in a junky rental cabin rather than a nice resort. I am not sure we will go back because of this alone. First night was bad; by the third night we were cranky.
2) Our bedroom smelled like sewage. I think there may have been a venting issue in the plumbing of Starboard B.
3) One small trashcan in a cottage room with a bathroom, bedroom, living room, and kitchenette.
4) Lack of sidewalks or paths from some cabins. There was a sidewalk from our cabin into the main road running through the property. Rather than march our toddlers on the road to go up to the Inn or other amenities, we had to run them up a grassy hill.
5) Single grilling station (a nice option) but no nearby picnic tables.
6) Agree with a prior poser about the hours of the restaurant, 30-45 minutes earlier would really help for families with young kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TwinMomma2011
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Spruce Point. I am pleased that overall you had a very good stay and in particular found Boothbay Harbor and the SPI resort, appropriate for your family during early August.

I have finally been able to get into Starboard C, one of our Oceanfront Cottage Rooms. It's been occupied since your review posted.

The bed in Starboard C is new from 2011. It's a plush top. I am sorry we were not aware of this issue as we would have gladly replaced your bed with one that was more suitable for you. Perhaps one of the newest double plush beds would have been better.

Also, had we known of a smell, we could have offered an explanation and solution for you. I've not had a single comment of this nature and Starboard, as perhaps the most popular Cottage, has been occupied nearly every day of the season. I could not recreate this issue.

Housekeeping has added an additional waste basket to Starboard C, and I have copied your other great ideas to a winter projects and standards list that we will be discussing soon.

Thank you again for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our 18th year visiting SPI, and the first year coming without children. We just sent our last off to college and decide to treat ourselves for a 4 day getaway. GREAT IDEA!!!!
What a treat!!!! The views from every point of the inn is UNREAL. The flowers and the perennials gardens always amaze me, how well they are maintained and make SPI such a special place. Great area along the oceanfront to run/exercise.
We stayed in Tanager B, which is a nice room for a couple and faily priced. Pelican cottage and Little Spruce is a great choice for a family of 4. Our children have such fond memories of this place. The smores are a big hit with the kids!!!!!
Joe and Angelo do a terrific job. We hope to see you all next year. Thank you for a beautiful trip.
Sincerely, Megan and Peter

Room Tip: Cottages are nice for families,
1 Thank megwalsh
Tampa, Florida, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at Spruce Point the week after the Fourth of July. Upon arrival, the young man at the front desk asked for my name and a card to charge (no welcome, no hello, very poor greeting for what is touted as quality and luxury). I gave him the card and he then informed me that our room was not ready. No worries, we went into town for provisions for the room.

Upon our return, the same young man barely greeted me and asked for the card to run for the room. I reminded him that he ran it an hour ago and he said "oh yea, hold on a minute." After pecking around on his keyboard for entirely too long, he handed us the keys to the room. Having never been there, I asked him where the room was. He handed me a map and said that he was new there... No duh. And completely incapable of providing a modicum of decent customer service. Mind you, we were the only ones there. It is not like he had some huge rush of patrons to contend with.

Upon our arrival at the townhouse we had rented, it was hot. The thermometer in the room registered 94 degrees! And the room did not have air conditioning. Mind you, we are paying $700 a night for the townhouse accommodations. I would think even in Maine that would buy you some air conditioning. The kitchen was run down and straight out of the mid 80's. The furniture in the living areas was cheap wicker and old. The bright spot was that the bathrooms had been upgraded and the beds were very nice.

I called the front desk and told them that my family of 5 was NOT staying in a room that was 94 degrees and that we needed other accommodations or air conditioners. A new lady told me to come to the front desk (quite a hike). She should have sent someone in a golf cart or something rather than having me hoof it in the heat. Upon arrival back at the front desk, she handed me keys to two rooms that were next to each other (not adjoining). I went to check them. They were well worn and small and unacceptable.

I finally got connected with Dave, the manager. He was the bright spot of the entire staff. Dave apologized that they were not prepared for the heat and told me that they would get some window ac units into the townhouse (after unhelpful lady at the front desk told me that they had given them all out and no more were available). We went to dinner and came back to an air-conditioned townhouse.

The rest of our stay was pretty good. We enjoyed the sea kayaks on property. The last day of our stay, we found out they had a rec room with ping-pong tables and games. This would have been nice to know at the start of our stay if the unhelpful front desk staff had spent a couple of minutes educating us on what was available.

We ate at Bogies a couple of times during our stay. The food was good, but the restaurant manager was oblivious. He greeted us and asked if we had reservations. We did not. He actually said "let me see if I have anything available". It was 5pm on Thursday and there was one other couple in the entire restaurant. We were seated and had a good meal. When we got up to leave, only one other family had come in to dine. The fact that he said upon our arrival "let me see if I have anything available" was just lousy customer service and came across as pretentious.

All in all, I feel that this property may have been awesome at one time. Management needs to let Dave take over as the GM and clean house. Them train the staff to provide service commensurate with the extreme prices that they charge to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank StuA79
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Spruce Point Inn. I am pleased that your stay was “very good”. We will continue to work for that 5th star.

All of our accommodations have received extensive updates over the past couple of seasons. We recognize that not everyone will agree with our decor updates. I do appreciate your comments about the wicker in 8E.

For new and returning customers, the accommodation referenced is Townhouse 8E. Image 3 through 7 of the two bedroom townhouse description on our lodging page is that of Townhouse 8E.

The two other rooms shown were in the Evergreen Lodge. Please see images 8 and 9, of the modern lodge partial-view description.

I am pleased that Manager David Langren was able to get you settled and relaxed in Townhouse 8E. The front desk clerk that was on during your check-in was not able to complete the training process and left SPI shortly after the July 4th holiday.

It was sticky and unusually hot on the entire East coast during July 4th this year. We ran short of AC units for a couple of days and immediately purchased an additional 12 units to ensure guest comfort. Since then, the weather has been quite normal.

There was also an issue with seating in the dining room that affected a number of guests that evening. Several tables had been booked for 6 and 6:30, as part of a family gathering. Due to a change in plans, these guests could not arrive until much later that evening. However, we were not notified until it was much too late. We turned a number of guests away that evening and missed an opportunity to provide great food and service to you. I apologize for this. We have since changed our reservation policy to better serve you in the future.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a “very good” experience at SPI and would return.

We will continue to work on the property and service standards at Spruce Point and look forward to earning an “excellent” rating on your next visit.

Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Have not stayed in the resort or eaten at their other restaurant so this is strictly about Bogie's Hideaway, their casual dining proposition. We have been going there for several summers, and have never been disappointed, except on one occasion, this summer, when my wife ordered a lobster risotto in which the lobster was very dry and tough. Otherwise, their burgers, fish and chips, steaks and other assorted goodies are top notch, in one of the best settings in Boothbay. The service, however, is a little the luck of the draw. The waiters come from overseas and take a while to be up to par, so it all depends on who waits on you. The supervising staff does try to pick up the slack however. All in all, one of our favourite places in Boothbay and highly recommendable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for review and for your loyalty to SPI. We are honored to be one of your favorite restaurants in Boothbay Harbor.

We will continue to work on our standards and training to bring improved consistency to your service experience in Bogies. I am pleased that management has been stepping in to help and support the service team when necessary. I look forward to earning that fifth star on your future visits.

Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night at Spruce Point Inn, and it was quite pleasant. Hallmarks are the people and location. This is great place for young families with preteen children. As many young families stay here. Lots for them to do. That being said, if you are looking for tranquility ... This is a nice place, yet based on the draw of young families it is not tranquil . If you stay here, ask for an end unit , one or four in the settings as loon etc. sunset A would also be nice. If you get a room as loon 3, housekeeping has their equipment and supplies in a closet on your front porch.... So avoid 3 in all cases. I gave this place an excellent since it is just that.. People, accommodations, food, location. Buildings are very well kept. The fact it caters to young families and thus dd not fit our thoughts on tranquility .. Is of no fault of the Inn. Come and bring the kids!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!