“Amazing Return Visit”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
New York City, New York
“Amazing Return Visit”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I returned to the Spruce Point Inn this summer with my girlfriend following a great stay last year. Once again, our expectations were exceeded. From the beautiful grounds, to the friendly staff, Spruce Point is becoming a favorite travel spot for us. We enjoyed the kayaking and tennis offered right at the resort. We sprung for a fancy dinner in the 88 Grandview restaurant this year and highly recommend it. We even received muffins for the next morning at the end of our dinner. We both hope to be returning!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
MA
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was our fourth year at SPI - the view is unparalleled, and the oceanside pool is my favorite amenity. These are the things for which we have returned each year. This year, however, we were vastly disappointed with small but numerous service issues which became off-putting.

Upon arrival, the front desk was certainly lacking in friendliness and a welcoming attitude. They seemed stiff, unhappy and perfunctory at best. Fine, a small thing, but added to the totality of our experience.

The first evening, we went to the bar to ask for wine glasses to use with wine we brought for afternoon drinks. We were handed short plastic cups - I was stunned. We had never had this issue on prior visits - we spent approximately $1200 on the room alone to stay for three nights, and we have to use plastic cups???

The next morning, I went to get coffee in the lobby - and had to stand in a line behind 5 other people as there was one Keurig coffee maker. This was the norm each day. Is it really so hard to put out carafes of coffee? The "complimentary" muffins were nonexistent all three mornings of my stay, as the basket was perpetually empty. It seemed to be a cheap exit from having to actually provide a simple service.

Housekeeping is sorely in need of training and supervision; a plate we brought to our room with fruit for our son sat there for 2 days, ignored by housekeeping. More importantly, when our toilet clogged, it was completely ignored when they came in! We then asked one of the housekeepers for a plunger, but she never returned. We finally had to call the front desk. Interestingly, while they "made" the sleep sofa my son slept in, they did not bother to then fold it back up so it could be used as a sofa for the day. Bizarre. Moreover, they do not replace disposable cups in the room, so the coffee maker is rendered useless. What's the point?

The s'mores station was completely confusing - guests can sit there, but are not allowed to make their own. They are handed a s'more the staff makes - isn't the fun in making your own? It was quite awkward at best.

Finally, the moist atmosphere leads to wood rot - the railing to our unit was wobbly and almost fully detached fom the building; a chair on the deck broke when sat upon. Certainly, they need to be more attentive to this.

I should note that the Inn was not overly busy, so these issues cannot be blamed on a full house or a wedding. While these are all minor issues, for the cost of a three night minimum stay, I would expect a more polished experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank allover09
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review
August 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Spruce Point Inn. It was a pleasure to talk with you today on the phone. I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your review and I thank you for the call.

It was great to hear that you had another positive experience at SPI.

As we spoke, we are pleased to deliver wine glasses to your guest room. There is nothing like enjoying a favorite bottle of wine on your porch overlooking the ocean. In this case, you came to the bar and indicated that you would be sitting outside on the Deck. As a policy, we do not use glassware on the Deck for safety reasons. I have spoken to the manager and discussed how to more appropriately explain this policy in the future.

The lobby Keurig machine makes a cup of Green Mountain coffee in 19 seconds. I recognize that it was a little busy that morning. I have never heard this comment before but will certainly consider how we may better serve you in the future. We talked today about adding another Keurig machine.

It is unusual that the fruit would not have been discarded if you placed it in a manner that indicated you wanted it cleaned up. Removing guests personal items is a judgment call and is our responsibility to address appropriately.

The sleeper sofa, if requested to be used for the entire stay, is reset each day and left open. As a prior customer, you know the Inn does not offer turn down service. However, if you had asked, we would have been pleased to make this exception for you. I am sorry about the plunger and any miscommunication.

We have spoken about this one as well. It seems that your sons came to the s'mores pit after hours and the fire was out but the s'mores server had made up some to go 'smores for late comers. I am sorry the boys missed the full experience.

Guests consider SPI a pristine property. We work very hard to keep the Inn this way and address maintenance issues immediately.

The fact that you felt Spruce Point was not busy is a real compliment to our efforts. The Inn was full or close to full during your stay. For future guests, the property is spread out across 17 acres of developed land and 42 acres of woodland trails. Our goal throughout the years has been to keep a high percentage of green space to allow our guests privacy to enjoy the natural surroundings. The Inn will only accommodate 250 guests and limits weddings to the shoulder seasons. I am pleased our efforts were on the mark for you again this season.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review the Inn and to chat with me on the phone. I am pleased you had a most enjoyable stay and will return next year for your fifth season.

Angelo DiGiulian
Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I got to enjoy a rare "Date Night" with my husband. We live in Boothbay Harbor and know the best places to go. Heading to SPI (Bogie's) for dinner is a great experience that makes us feel like we have "Gotten Away" for a couple of hours. SPI Signature Salad, Bib Salad, Cheeseburger and Flat Iron Steak are all the great things we had for dinner. Relaxing, elegant and amazing food always keep us coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie R
boston
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I found this place to be a bit overrated and have visited other resorts which have much better accommodations for the money. A lovely place, but still had a campy feel. On the plus side, the location is fantastic, plenty of stuff to do: salt water pool overlooking the harbor is gorgeous, kayaking, free boat and van shuttle into town (our driver and captain were both so nice!) , tennis, and we took a delightful 2 hour sail with a sloop docked right in front on the property ($40/pp). They have free bikes, but I would recommend you bring your own.

The minuses: First of all, there was no internet access. apparently the WiFi was connected but did not reach the outside of the main lobby. Our bed was rock hard. wished they had more comfortable beds. Noisy AC. No On Demand. I know TV and internet are items where if you're on vacation shouldn't be a priority -but for the price - still expected to have. The waitstaff at the hotel restaurant were foreigners who did not understand/speak English very well. Service was poor to say the least. Had to wait almost an hour for food. If you have small kids, that's a problem. Best to go in town for meals. We loved The Lobster Dock Restaurant!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you felt Spruce Point Inn is a delightful resort. I am sorry your lodging experience was average.

There are several room types from which to choose. From classic cottages to modern lodges and town homes. Your selection was a woodland view cottage room in the Sunset Lodge. For future guests, you may view quite a number of images of this room type on our website and online reservations system. Or, call us and we would be delighted to share more information with you.

The Inn's 16 cottages and cottage rooms are the most popular at the resort because they are an authentic experience. These are original 1950's cottages that have been thoughtfully restored in todays lifestyle. If you enjoy classic experiences, a "Maine Cottage" color palette, and a historic ambiance with original woodwork and shore stone fireplaces, you will love these accommodations. If you prefer a 500 to 800 square foot modern hotel room or suite with gas fired wood stove, sitting area, private porch and luxury bath, try one of the 60 "modern lodge" rooms at SPI.

All of the Inn's accommodations have been updated in the last 3 years. I am sorry our new plush top beds were not comfortable for you. We would have been pleased to bring you a pillow selection and additional plushness layers, had you inquired. We take the sleep experience very seriously!!

The Inn's restaurants are highly regarded. I encourage reservations for our casual restaurant but make every effort to accommodate hotel guests as walk-ins. If you would prefer not to wait, I encourage you to please make a reservation. We will make every effort to make you comfortable if you have a wait. Reservations are required in the Inn's fine dining restaurant -- 88.

I would very much like to share some of our other accommodations with you and to meet your expectations on your next visit.

Please contact me at your convenience.

Angelo DiGiulian, adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We hold an annual reunion with 7 other families in Maine. So, this was our third trip in 6 years to SPI. The grounds are pristine, the view is stunning and the recent updates were tastefully executed. The Lighthouse Camp for the kids was an godsend on a rainy morning! However, SPI needs to start sweating the small stuff. Here goes... All our kids talked about on the 8 hour drive was the S'mores station. It was poised to be the high point of their trip. Like any mom, I told them they had to wait until after dinner to make s'mores. Well, when we got there the marshmallow supply was depleted. Sorry, no s'mores. The next morning, I felt almost as deflated as my kids when I realized not just one, but both, hot tubs were out of order! Then, my son (not, me!) clogged the toilet. To spare the cleaning staff, we requested a plunger, but it never did show up. Also, on that note, we chose to participate in SPI's laudable "green" efforts by forgoing housekeeping and, therefore, earning a $10 credit at the restaurant, which we dined in twice during our 3-day stay. However, when we requested the credit, the people at the reception desk denied us, because we didn't phone them about it that morning. On principle, we argued for several minutes! It blew my mind that we dropped nearly $2,000 at this place and they flat-out refused to give us the $10 we were owed by living in a messy room. At this price point, I expect an endless supply of marshmallows and to check-out without being humiliated in front of other guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PrincetonKellyJH
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry that we did not know you would be arriving late to the smore's station. It closes at 9 and you arrived at 9:30. We were not out of marshmallows. The station was simply closed for the evening. In the future, please just let us know. The Chef would have been pleased to make you some special s'mores right from the kitchen. I will also discuss keeping the s'mores station open later into the evening during August.

I appreciate and agree fully with your comment about the 10.00 credit. I am, however, confused. Your room received full service on both nights you stayed with us and you checked out without even coming to the front desk. This is not ususual for guests to leave the key in the room and depart. Our records show that the front desk sent a bellman over to your room at noon because you had not checked out. You had already left.

You are a very good customer and I would certainly like to speak with you in more detail about what actually happened. If I have overreached in my response, I apologize. But the facts just do not add up. I will gladly update this response if what I have said here is incorrect.

Angelo DiGiulian
adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent a week at the Spruce Point Inn last month (July 2013). There were several family members staying together in one of the cottages. The housekeeping staff was very accommodating of our need for flexibility-we had a 5 year old, 3 year old, and handicapped adult. However, I was most pleased with how everyone treated our handicapped brother/son. From the boat captain, to the van driver, to the people running the Smores Station, to the front office people were incredibly patient with him, treated him respectfully, spoke directly to him, etc. It was very heartwarming to see and experience. Thank you Spruce Point Inn staff! Oh, and even other guests were great! Very family friendly!

Room Tip: We loved the flexibility of being in a cottage. Breakfast was always "at home," lunch and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wellesley
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a first time visit, but it's now a high priority for a return visit. The serene setting, spectacular grounds and views, gracious friendly staff, delectable food, and abundant activities make you reluctant to end your day. But the luxurious rooms and beds are just too inviting. Take the complimentary launch into downtown to see the scenic harbor up close. Enjoy the heated fresh-water pool or the harbor side saltwater pool. Want a private or semi-private sailing tour of the harbor? The beautifully-restored sloop Sarah Mead offers 2-hour sails right from the inn's private dock; the ride is highly informative and downright enjoyable - the perfect compliment to a seaside stay at Spruce Point Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have the best water views with small balconies that don't seem well s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates
Brown's Wharf Inn
Brown's Wharf Inn
#2 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!