“Amazing Dinner”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I got to enjoy a rare "Date Night" with my husband. We live in Boothbay Harbor and know the best places to go. Heading to SPI (Bogie's) for dinner is a great experience that makes us feel like we have "Gotten Away" for a couple of hours. SPI Signature Salad, Bib Salad, Cheeseburger and Flat Iron Steak are all the great things we had for dinner. Relaxing, elegant and amazing food always keep us coming back.

1  Thank Julie R

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I found this place to be a bit overrated and have visited other resorts which have much better accommodations for the money. A lovely place, but still had a campy feel. On the plus side, the location is fantastic, plenty of stuff to do: salt water pool overlooking the harbor is gorgeous, kayaking, free boat and van shuttle into town (our driver and captain were both so nice!) , tennis, and we took a delightful 2 hour sail with a sloop docked right in front on the property ($40/pp). They have free bikes, but I would recommend you bring your own.

The minuses: First of all, there was no internet access. apparently the WiFi was connected but did not reach the outside of the main lobby. Our bed was rock hard. wished they had more comfortable beds. Noisy AC. No On Demand. I know TV and internet are items where if you're on vacation shouldn't be a priority -but for the price - still expected to have. The waitstaff at the hotel restaurant were foreigners who did not understand/speak English very well. Service was poor to say the least. Had to wait almost an hour for food. If you have small kids, that's a problem. Best to go in town for meals. We loved The Lobster Dock Restaurant!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you felt Spruce Point Inn is a delightful resort. I am sorry your lodging experience was average.

There are several room types from which to choose. From classic cottages to modern lodges and town homes. Your selection was a woodland view cottage room in the Sunset Lodge. For future guests, you may view quite a number of images of this room type on our website and online reservations system. Or, call us and we would be delighted to share more information with you.

The Inn's 16 cottages and cottage rooms are the most popular at the resort because they are an authentic experience. These are original 1950's cottages that have been thoughtfully restored in todays lifestyle. If you enjoy classic experiences, a "Maine Cottage" color palette, and a historic ambiance with original woodwork and shore stone fireplaces, you will love these accommodations. If you prefer a 500 to 800 square foot modern hotel room or suite with gas fired wood stove, sitting area, private porch and luxury bath, try one of the 60 "modern lodge" rooms at SPI.

All of the Inn's accommodations have been updated in the last 3 years. I am sorry our new plush top beds were not comfortable for you. We would have been pleased to bring you a pillow selection and additional plushness layers, had you inquired. We take the sleep experience very seriously!!

The Inn's restaurants are highly regarded. I encourage reservations for our casual restaurant but make every effort to accommodate hotel guests as walk-ins. If you would prefer not to wait, I encourage you to please make a reservation. We will make every effort to make you comfortable if you have a wait. Reservations are required in the Inn's fine dining restaurant -- 88.

I would very much like to share some of our other accommodations with you and to meet your expectations on your next visit.

Please contact me at your convenience.

Angelo DiGiulian, adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We hold an annual reunion with 7 other families in Maine. So, this was our third trip in 6 years to SPI. The grounds are pristine, the view is stunning and the recent updates were tastefully executed. The Lighthouse Camp for the kids was an godsend on a rainy morning! However, SPI needs to start sweating the small stuff. Here goes... All our kids talked about on the 8 hour drive was the S'mores station. It was poised to be the high point of their trip. Like any mom, I told them they had to wait until after dinner to make s'mores. Well, when we got there the marshmallow supply was depleted. Sorry, no s'mores. The next morning, I felt almost as deflated as my kids when I realized not just one, but both, hot tubs were out of order! Then, my son (not, me!) clogged the toilet. To spare the cleaning staff, we requested a plunger, but it never did show up. Also, on that note, we chose to participate in SPI's laudable "green" efforts by forgoing housekeeping and, therefore, earning a $10 credit at the restaurant, which we dined in twice during our 3-day stay. However, when we requested the credit, the people at the reception desk denied us, because we didn't phone them about it that morning. On principle, we argued for several minutes! It blew my mind that we dropped nearly $2,000 at this place and they flat-out refused to give us the $10 we were owed by living in a messy room. At this price point, I expect an endless supply of marshmallows and to check-out without being humiliated in front of other guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PrincetonKellyJH
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry that we did not know you would be arriving late to the smore's station. It closes at 9 and you arrived at 9:30. We were not out of marshmallows. The station was simply closed for the evening. In the future, please just let us know. The Chef would have been pleased to make you some special s'mores right from the kitchen. I will also discuss keeping the s'mores station open later into the evening during August.

I appreciate and agree fully with your comment about the 10.00 credit. I am, however, confused. Your room received full service on both nights you stayed with us and you checked out without even coming to the front desk. This is not ususual for guests to leave the key in the room and depart. Our records show that the front desk sent a bellman over to your room at noon because you had not checked out. You had already left.

You are a very good customer and I would certainly like to speak with you in more detail about what actually happened. If I have overreached in my response, I apologize. But the facts just do not add up. I will gladly update this response if what I have said here is incorrect.

Angelo DiGiulian
adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent a week at the Spruce Point Inn last month (July 2013). There were several family members staying together in one of the cottages. The housekeeping staff was very accommodating of our need for flexibility-we had a 5 year old, 3 year old, and handicapped adult. However, I was most pleased with how everyone treated our handicapped brother/son. From the boat captain, to the van driver, to the people running the Smores Station, to the front office people were incredibly patient with him, treated him respectfully, spoke directly to him, etc. It was very heartwarming to see and experience. Thank you Spruce Point Inn staff! Oh, and even other guests were great! Very family friendly!

Room Tip: We loved the flexibility of being in a cottage. Breakfast was always "at home," lunch and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a first time visit, but it's now a high priority for a return visit. The serene setting, spectacular grounds and views, gracious friendly staff, delectable food, and abundant activities make you reluctant to end your day. But the luxurious rooms and beds are just too inviting. Take the complimentary launch into downtown to see the scenic harbor up close. Enjoy the heated fresh-water pool or the harbor side saltwater pool. Want a private or semi-private sailing tour of the harbor? The beautifully-restored sloop Sarah Mead offers 2-hour sails right from the inn's private dock; the ride is highly informative and downright enjoyable - the perfect compliment to a seaside stay at Spruce Point Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have the best water views with small balconies that don't seem well s...
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very nice hotel. Top notch staff in every respect. ALL restaurants have very limited selections but what they have is great, but very slow service. There's lots of staff it just takes forever for food. One evening it took over an hour for a Caesar salad and fried clams. Rooms nicely furnished and spotless. Just be ready for lots of kids in both pools with very little quiet.

The spa lost my wife's reservation but were willing to stay beyond closing to accommodate her.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Have known about this Inn for several years but this was the first time we stayed at this location. From the time we were greeted by the receptionist, to the time we left, the experience was absolutely excellent. The rooms are tremendously spacious, clean, and has all the amenities that we needed which include an air conditioner, gas fireplace, refrigerator, TV and most important (for me) a Keurig K-Cup coffee maker (yeah). There is so much to do that we stayed busy all day and into the night. We really enjoyed long walks in the comfortable and safe surroundings. Early sunrises, lunches on the deck overlooking the harbor, followed by great sunsets sitting in the Adirondack chairs. After sunset, it was time for diner which consisted of a good / healthy selection of local grown garden vegetables and fresh seafood (lobster of course). We particularly liked the crab cake appetizer; it's like none other!! The staff is very nice, polite and professional always willing to help or chat about local attractions. The "S'mores pit" is fantastic, such a simple thing but a hit with everyone young and old, gathering at night to meet and talk about their days adventure, not to mention the S'mores treat(s) sponsored by the Inn. There were so many people from different places of the USA and abroad, it was nice to sit and watch everyone have fun. The grounds and pools are kept very neat and clean, and the service excellent. I've traveled most of the world, and recommend this location to those who favor a complete vacation experience. I'm sure you have viewed some vacation photos on line like me only to find out that there is a big difference in person, well this is not the case here, the rooms, grounds, dining area, etc. are all identical to the web site photos. The property obviously is very well maintained and in excellent order. We're already making plans for a future trip.....

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent. We chose to stay near the front but all areas offer individual attr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
#7 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#6 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!