“lovely spot, even in the fog!”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at Spruce Point. This is a fabulous place for families, especially, with many activities and gorgeous grounds. The service was extremely attentive and friendly. Bikes, tennis, kayaks all available as well as the pools, of course. Unfortunately the weather prevented many of these activities but we took a drive to Pemaquid Point and a long visit to Coastal Maine Botanic Garden, both of which were well worth the trip.
Highly recommended for family groups!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We traveled to Maine for the first time a couple weeks ago for a wedding and were amazed at how beautiful it is! We are glad we chose to stay on the property instead of finding lodging elsewhere. We stayed in the Sunset Cottage and found it quaint and charming- though we spent little time in our room. I recommend taking the bikes out and riding to town though beware: if you are from Florida, as we are, the terrain is much different! My only regret was that we were only there three nights so we didn't get to see and do everything this property has to offer. I would definitely stay here again.

If you get a chance- head down to the Lobster Dock... the views were great and the food was amazing!

Side note: Our housekeeper was awesome, not only did she find and turn in my lost iPad that I left behind; one afternoon I was feeling sick and she offered to get me anything I needed. I thought that was incredibly kind of her to offer to go above and beyond her job.

Room Tip: Beware, the lighthouses have fog horns! I spent my first night searching my room for the sound... Al...
1  Thank Courtney R
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Spacious, private, and comfortable accommodations and lovely grounds with great views of Boothbay Harbor. Friendly staff and generous amenities (pools, fitness center, kayaks, bikes, etc) for recreation and relaxation. This was our second stay and we plan to return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

A very pleasant surprise. This was our very first time here and we will go back. Whenever you see a website you really don't know what to expect but, they delivered. We arrived early and although our room wasn't ready Scott the doorman took us on a tour of the property and explained everything. This turned out to be very helpful. The room was in the Sunset cabin and it was great. No air but it wasn't a problem. Shawn the boat captain was fantastic. We went on a private boat tour of the harbor and what a tour. From top the bottom the Inn was fantastic. Don't forget the SMORES at night and Kayaks! There is plenty of stuff to do on the property. JUST GO!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view of the ocean or AC so if that's important ask.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

So I'm going to rave (rave, rave, rave) about Spruce Point -- but first, my one (and only) complaint. Musak on the Deck -- seemingly 24 hours a day. Really? Here is this totally picturesque and Perfectly Done quintessential Maine oceanfront resort inn and cottages -- something out of a day dream -- and you folks are playing soft rock on the oceanview deck? Let me tell you how much this destroyed my Sunday afternoon nap when all I wanted to do was listen to the seagulls and the wind blowing through the rigging of the flagpole on the front lawn. Just trashed the whole environment... Turn. It. Off. Not to mention, during my three days there, absolutely NO ONE sat on that deck (or even lingered) tapping their toes and saying "oh my how this soft rock really enhances this already magnificent natural beauty." Folks, why?

And I do mean why. Here's what we said about SPI (Spruce Point Inn -- buy the hat, the sweatshirt and the flag if you can -- branding done just right): These folks know their demographic and deliver a seemingly perfect product to them. I grew up on the coast of Maine and I now LONG to spend a week wrapped in the gentle-breezed bosom of SPI. Let the rave begin:

1. Just too adorably picturesque for words, but it isn't overdone! The inn the spruce trees cutouts in the spruce green shutters, the perfectly placed adirondacks, the mix of cabins, paths and oh so well tended but not at all fussy landscaping -- the total package -- feels like a classy oceanfront home tended personally by a staff that loves it even more than you will.
2. Gracious, well trained, warm and not overly ingratiating staff. Yup, real Mainahs (well, expect for the imported dining room staff, but they were great and worked so hard for your approval!). Even the maid stopped and had just the "right amount" of conversation with us on the lawn. Well spoken, not fawning -- breeding and manners show. And not at all stuffy! I felt as comfortable with my gay partner as the family with five kids. You are guests at the property and that's how they treat you. Welcome. Just so well done!
3. The rooms and the price points are in perfect alignment. How often does that happen? Really, how often do you walk away and say, gosh that is EXACTLY what that experience was worth. The rooms are extremely well done and fit in their environment perfectly without being either shabby or stuffy to the point they are out of place on a June maine coastal front lawn or woods. Even the small field mouse (we called him "whiskers") who was living between the stovetop and fridge in our cabin in the woods seemed a little Disney to us and really not out of place in the overall environment. Again, as someone who grew up in Maine, these are almost storybook Maine cottages -- but they are the real thing, not the Ritz Carlton's attempt at creating some upscale image of a Maine cottage or Inn experience. We stayed in both Little Spruce and Sunset A -- there were things that weren't 100% perfect about either and things that we just adored about both. One is in the woods, large and very private (but with a postage stamp -- although adorably painted) bath. The other is smack on the front lawn oceanside with a stone fireplace, well proportioned rooms and charm, charm, charm. For the money, the rooms were exactly what I expected -- just enough luxury trimming wrapped around a perfectly palleted (paint colors) and very well maintained true cottage architecture. From the in room keurigs to the hanging flower baskets, the place is done to the teeth without reeking of design. Again, bravo, SPI -- Perfection. Can't end this part without calling props to the common spaces -- the Inn entry stairs, front porch, lobby, halls and even the public restrooms are all just perfect -- tasteful, charming, old school but not at all overly prepped out and exclusive (in a bad way). Just sitting in the lobby is a blissful part of taking in this beautifully done resort.
4. Facilities and Location: Great gym, great game room, great lawns, great trailhead, sweet old Maine oceanfront neighborhood (good for a stroll with your Keurig coffee in the am) -- a compound snuggled against the shore with both oceanfront salt and woods-based freshwater pools. We were never bothered by the sounds of children unleashed, we never felt like there were more than 15 guests in anyone space (and we were there for a wedding of 150+), we never felt anything but Perfection from the spot and the available services (I hear the massage my partner got was killer -- thanks!).
5. Food, of course. You know we are food snobs. Not expensive food snobs, but certainly willing to call a bad meal a bad meal. I am sorry we did NOT get to eat MORE at SPI. What we did have was -- gosh -- Perfect. First, the $15 breakfast buffet (less, I hear, if you opt into the towel washing reduction program). This is the very best breakfast buffet I've ever had (this is not small claim, folks). Not the quantity - in fact, they clearly make sure that there is just enough out and that it is perfectly fresh. I had waffles, blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon (and I did NOT gain a pound all weekend!) -- everything tasted like it was made fresh just for me. There was real fresh fruit- not fruit salad, but huge platters of strawberries (cut in half... cut in half, people, not in little slices), melon, pineapple and more. Wow. Even this Californian was impressed with both the quality and quantity of fresh fruit. Then muffins, pastries and bagels -- a great choice -- and I'm even going to rave over the cute display in little wooden crates. Just enough, not too much. (and I never rave about presentation... well, not much, that's for sure). We also had the Lobster Benedict one morning (of course we did). It was not the very best hollandaise I've had, but it is one of those dishes you would just be STUPID to pass up. Fresh lobster, great brioche (I do wish all Eggs Benny were on Brioche, but that's me having eaten my share of english muffins in my life...). When in Maine... Here is where you'll meet the (at least partially) East European summer wait staff -- some with cute intern badges in and all decked out in one of my favorite pale yellow LL Bean button down shirts (again, folks, the color palette of the property is everywhere -- absolutely everywhere -- and so subtle, egads, what great taste someone has!). I was a teenager working summer jobs in Maine (back a thousand years ago and in another life) -- I know how difficult it must be to get steady, dependable help in this age bracket and I applaud this solution. I bet these kids go on to professional careers in the cruise/hotel industry and SPI is a great starting ground for them.

We stayed an extra night after the wedding party departed and wish wish wish we had stayed two. We would absolutely work a 4 day stay into a future summer trip home to see the family (yes, first I'll see the family, THEN we'll go to SPI for a little "us time"). Absolutely. If you've thought of heading to Maine for a little coastal tour, this would make a fabulous base -- everything worth doing is within an hours drive or a boat ride leaving from Boothbay Harbor, just down the road: Monhegan Island, Pemaquid Light, Reid State Park, freshwater lakes like Damariscotta Lake or Biscay Pond, even day trips to Camden -- and, of course, Mecca (Freeport). Don't skimp, stay six nights to really get a flavor for Maine's midcoast.

Bravo, SPI. It is so so wonderful to see someone do this so well.

Room Tip: Hopefully I will shame SPI into shutting off the muzak on the deck -- in which case the Sunset A and...
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We come to Maine for a vacation every summer, but this was our first time staying at the Spruce Point Inn. The atmosphere and accommodations were perfect for our family of seven and our dog. We stayed at the Starboard cottage and the location was ideal for us, right across from the pool/hot tub and the dock. We had a couple of unseasonably warm days and the kids lived in the water, going straight from the pool to jumping off the new dock for a "refreshing" dip in the ocean. The resort offers lots of great outdoor activities, and we tried them all; kayaking, biking, fishing, hiking, two pools for swimming, and rides to town on the launch.

The staff is what really sets this place apart from other places we have stayed. They were friendly and helpful, attending to all our requests. Andrew was the bellman our first three days and he knew our kids names before lunch (it could be because our kids are active and we kayaked twice, took out the bikes, went fishing and swimming). They offer a complimentary launch service for trips to town or out to explore the islands, Captain Shawn toured us through the parade of sails and we got a fantastic view of the Windjammers anchoring in the harbor.

This place is great, and from what we could see, they are genuinely interested in making every visit special for their guests. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Thanks to all from the Hinckley Family!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a terrific and memorable 6 night stay at SPI. The setting is beautiful and private, yet minutes away to Boothbay Harbor village. We did everything- kayaking, swimming, biking, sailing (through a private guy) and hiking- all at SPI. We took day trips too, which were all convenient. Deborah was terrific. She basically planned each of our days and was a wealth of informatoin about the area. I conferred with her each day and her suggestions were always right (she was very nice to our son too). Thank you!!! Andrew was also very nice and accomodating as we changed activities. He was always right there to assist. SPI has the feeling of a summer camp, but with really nice accomodations and a very comfortable main lodge.

The restaurant was good and certainly convenient, but there was sometimes a language barrier with the staff (many of whom came from Eastern Europe).

You really can't go wrong with SPI. It is everything you would expect in a low key family vacation in Maine. I would happily return.

Room Tip: We were not told at the time of our reservation that we were being assigned a handicap accessible ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ocean Gate Resort
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#6 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!