“The "Point" was to have a convention”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Brunswick, Maine
“The "Point" was to have a convention”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The place is beautiful. The grounds are impressive and the location is fabulous. For the amount paid for food, which was discounted, the food was disappointing and less than sanitary. I was not a fan of being served the same food in the same bowls on day 2 of our convention as day 1. I was first in line for lunch day 2 and the potato salad and cole slaw had spoon tracks in them from the day before, liquid had pooled in the tracks and they re-served uneaten food from the day before in the same bowls. Gross. The food served at dinner looked yet tasted less desirable like something you would make out of a bake it in a bag, no consistency plate to plate. The staff there were great, they were not enough of them because of the time of year. If you are going to provide a convention to 175+ people, have the staff to pull it off. The the tables were the wrong size for the vendors and were not as promised. A mish mash of 8ft and 6ft tables when 6ft was requested. The fees to use on the tables on site (set by the resort) were ridiculous. The accoustics in the Pemaquid room made it impossible to have other meetings in the sub rooms. All in all, not a great convention venue, perfect for a wedding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dickinsons94
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that we fell short for you. I am aware that this is the second event we have done for the County Commissioners --- and the event planners have requested to return to Spruce Point again in the future. There does appear to be a difference of opinion on the success of the event. I recognize this can certainly happen. Please find my response.

The group chose a “Deli” buffet with the same items each day, so it may have appeared to be the same food in the same dish but it was not. The head Chef administered all the details of this event. The food items were prepared on the morning of the event and then delivered to the kitchen at our conference room. The items to which you refer, when prepared, are covered – initialed – and time stamped. What you are suggesting is not possible.

There were approximately150-175 guests enjoying the dining service at the Inn. There were 8-10 server/bus staff on the floor of the event with 2 event planners, a bar staff, set up staff, and the Chef and his staff. I am satisfied that this is very adequate. It is less the 20 guests served per server – with a strong support staff.

The records from our event planner reflect that you had not specified a 6ft table in your rental order. By the time you made the request, there were only 8ft tables remaining. We would have been pleased to rent you a 6ft table in advance.

On to the Pemaquid sub rooms. I can appreciate your comments. There are air walls and a custom ceiling to enclose the break-out space. For some reason, the ceiling was not engaged. I believe that Spruce Point should have engaged the ceiling as part of the set up. This is a mistake as far as I am concerned. However, when brought to the attention of your meeting planners, they were satisfied with the set up. Had they not been, we would have been pleased to make that adjustment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Skowhegan, Maine, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Spruce Point Inn was a wonderful place to have our daughter's wedding. We had many guests from Chicago who had never been to Maine. Everyone of the staff was very courteous and helpful. We had hoped for an outside ceremony but were grateful for being able to have it moved inside. The food and service was wonderful.

Room Tip: You can take a look at your room online and choose what suits you. The rooms are very clean and comf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in a three bedroom cottage in September 2012 - two grandparents, son and daughter in law plus one granddaughter. The accommodation was very good, clean and well presented. The general service was also good and friendly, especially the room service maids.and the garden workers. The hotel provides a free launch to take you into Boothbay and the trip is a tourist attraction on its own - the boat captain is knowledgeable, entertaining and goes the extra mile to show you things. If you are not in a hurry he will do a tour of the bay for you.

The only disappointment, and it was a big one, was eating in their #2 restaurant, Bogie's. The food was poor, indifferently cooked, expensive and uninteresting and the service was uninformed (did not know how dishes were cooked), inexperienced (did not know how to serve at a table) and frankly terrible (including having to be asked to wipe up beer that he himself had split). At one point the waiter disappeared for 20 minutes and came back sticking of cigarette smoke.

Maybe this was a one off, but we were not prepared to risk a second attempt and did not eat in the hotel again - there are lots of restaurants in Boothbay.

So five stars for accomodation, zero stars for that meal.

My recommendation: stay there but skip the restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, a sea view is nice but the garden views are fine as well.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vch01oct2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Spruce Point for your family getaway. I am happy that you and your family enjoyed the beautiful location, “housekeeping” Cottages, and private boat launch --- “Brightline”, with Captain Shawn at the helm.

I am very sorry for our service misstep in Bogie’s. I can assure you that we make an exceptional effort in our restaurants. From atmosphere and tone, to food and beverage quality and creativity, to excellence in service – all are vitally important to the success of Spruce Point and meeting guest expectation. Your comments and time are much appreciated.

This season, as our local resident college servers went back to start the Fall semester, several servers joined us who are very skilled servers, but there has been a language barrier. We recognize how important this is and we have been working very hard with them on it. I am sorry this affected your experience.

I see that the restaurant manager “comped” your meal. I am glad that he did this and hope that you will consider giving us another try on your next visit.
NE PA
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Love, Love, Love. What’s not to love? What you see on the website for Spruce Point is what you get. And, yes indeed, it did remind me of the movie “Dirty Dancing, so much in fact that I had to check the location of the movie !! We were only there for 2 nights so we did not have opportunity to take advantage of most of the amenities offered but If we did I would have enjoyed the shiny new bikes or the Alice in Wonderland sized chess. Our room in Puffin was clean , large and had a nice view of the sunset from our Adirondack chairs on the porch. Actually, you could say it was three rooms - living room, bed room and king size bath. We were looking forward to the S’Mores Station (since there were so many reviews of it on TripAdvisor) but, sadly, it was past season and not opened week nights. We did have opportunity to ride on the launch with Shawn and he is, indeed, an asset to Spruce Point. It was easier to take the boat than drive our car into town and find a parking spot. We also took our dog who especially liked the doggie treats at the entrance to the Inn. We ate at Bogie’s for supper and lunch. Husband had meat loaf (who gets meatloaf in Maine?) and he loved it as well as the mashed potatoes. I had 3 of my favorite things : chowder, lobster club and their signature salad and also the S'Mores for desert. Checking out the menu before we went I thought the prices were high but after being in Boothbay Harbor for a few days I see that the prices were average but the food and atmosphere were above average and I was glad we didn't venture out to the crowded touristy town. I also felt the staff went above and beyond with their helpful and friendly manner.

Room Tip: Cabins are in the woods but are so cute- I'd like to stay there if I ever get to go again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I spent three days at the Spruce Point Inn with my husband and 12 year old daughter on our way up to Acadia. The scenery leading up to this resort and the view from the pool, lobby and my room was exceptional. This must be the most beautiful spot in Boothbay. The room was huge with a full kitchen. We were tired of eating out every meal and wanted to save a little money so made dinner one night and prepared lunch in the room. There was also a nice porch and a small view of the ocean from our room. They had free coffee and lemonade in the lobby all day and muffins were available, if you got up early enough. For the most part, the staff was friendly and helpful. The boat shuttle to Boothbay was really great and I loved the fact you had to make a reservation. That way you were always guaranteed a seat. Every night they had smores by the campfire. There were two pools. We went to the pool/hot tub that was overlooking the ocean. There were lots of chairs but it did get crowded after lunch. My daughter had a great time going tidepooling under the dock. She also tried fishing. We didn't catch anything but other people were very successful. There was a laundry room with two washers and two dryers. This came in handy since we were away for 10 days. There is no beach access but the pool was good enough for us. We ate most of our meals in town. There was lots of shopping Boothbay. By the third day I was a little restless but this is because I personally am not a big sunbather. However, I would consider going back to this resort in the future because of the quiet, peaceful environment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Extended Stay America Portland-Scarborough
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend some time at this inn a few years ago and it was absolutely the very best vacation I've ever had. I would recommend it to anybody looking for the right balance of relaxation, class, delicious food, beautiful views and fun. I can't wait to come back again someday!

Room Tip: Snag one of the bicycles and take a ride into town to do some local shopping... the spa is wonderful...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This inn should be on the top of anyone's list when staying in this part of Maine. The location is simply beautiful, and so restful. the resort has a good bit to offer and one should plan to use as much as possible to be the best value. We stayed here with our Golden retriever and while the hotel was indeed pet friendly, they do not have an outdoor dining option that would allowed us to try their food. The rooms was very well detailed and nicely appointed. from the internet search, I'd venture that the rooms are among the best in this part of Maine. Every staff member we came in contact with was helpful and the overall atmosphere was more like a club than inn.

Room Tip: try to get a cabin.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates
Brown's Wharf Inn
Brown's Wharf Inn
#3 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!