“Accommodation great (5 stars), food average (3 stars), restaurant service awful (zero stars)”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in a three bedroom cottage in September 2012 - two grandparents, son and daughter in law plus one granddaughter. The accommodation was very good, clean and well presented. The general service was also good and friendly, especially the room service maids.and the garden workers. The hotel provides a free launch to take you into Boothbay and the trip is a tourist attraction on its own - the boat captain is knowledgeable, entertaining and goes the extra mile to show you things. If you are not in a hurry he will do a tour of the bay for you.

The only disappointment, and it was a big one, was eating in their #2 restaurant, Bogie's. The food was poor, indifferently cooked, expensive and uninteresting and the service was uninformed (did not know how dishes were cooked), inexperienced (did not know how to serve at a table) and frankly terrible (including having to be asked to wipe up beer that he himself had split). At one point the waiter disappeared for 20 minutes and came back sticking of cigarette smoke.

Maybe this was a one off, but we were not prepared to risk a second attempt and did not eat in the hotel again - there are lots of restaurants in Boothbay.

So five stars for accomodation, zero stars for that meal.

My recommendation: stay there but skip the restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, a sea view is nice but the garden views are fine as well.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vch01oct2015
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Spruce Point for your family getaway. I am happy that you and your family enjoyed the beautiful location, “housekeeping” Cottages, and private boat launch --- “Brightline”, with Captain Shawn at the helm.

I am very sorry for our service misstep in Bogie’s. I can assure you that we make an exceptional effort in our restaurants. From atmosphere and tone, to food and beverage quality and creativity, to excellence in service – all are vitally important to the success of Spruce Point and meeting guest expectation. Your comments and time are much appreciated.

This season, as our local resident college servers went back to start the Fall semester, several servers joined us who are very skilled servers, but there has been a language barrier. We recognize how important this is and we have been working very hard with them on it. I am sorry this affected your experience.

I see that the restaurant manager “comped” your meal. I am glad that he did this and hope that you will consider giving us another try on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
NE PA
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Love, Love, Love. What’s not to love? What you see on the website for Spruce Point is what you get. And, yes indeed, it did remind me of the movie “Dirty Dancing, so much in fact that I had to check the location of the movie !! We were only there for 2 nights so we did not have opportunity to take advantage of most of the amenities offered but If we did I would have enjoyed the shiny new bikes or the Alice in Wonderland sized chess. Our room in Puffin was clean , large and had a nice view of the sunset from our Adirondack chairs on the porch. Actually, you could say it was three rooms - living room, bed room and king size bath. We were looking forward to the S’Mores Station (since there were so many reviews of it on TripAdvisor) but, sadly, it was past season and not opened week nights. We did have opportunity to ride on the launch with Shawn and he is, indeed, an asset to Spruce Point. It was easier to take the boat than drive our car into town and find a parking spot. We also took our dog who especially liked the doggie treats at the entrance to the Inn. We ate at Bogie’s for supper and lunch. Husband had meat loaf (who gets meatloaf in Maine?) and he loved it as well as the mashed potatoes. I had 3 of my favorite things : chowder, lobster club and their signature salad and also the S'Mores for desert. Checking out the menu before we went I thought the prices were high but after being in Boothbay Harbor for a few days I see that the prices were average but the food and atmosphere were above average and I was glad we didn't venture out to the crowded touristy town. I also felt the staff went above and beyond with their helpful and friendly manner.

Room Tip: Cabins are in the woods but are so cute- I'd like to stay there if I ever get to go again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I spent three days at the Spruce Point Inn with my husband and 12 year old daughter on our way up to Acadia. The scenery leading up to this resort and the view from the pool, lobby and my room was exceptional. This must be the most beautiful spot in Boothbay. The room was huge with a full kitchen. We were tired of eating out every meal and wanted to save a little money so made dinner one night and prepared lunch in the room. There was also a nice porch and a small view of the ocean from our room. They had free coffee and lemonade in the lobby all day and muffins were available, if you got up early enough. For the most part, the staff was friendly and helpful. The boat shuttle to Boothbay was really great and I loved the fact you had to make a reservation. That way you were always guaranteed a seat. Every night they had smores by the campfire. There were two pools. We went to the pool/hot tub that was overlooking the ocean. There were lots of chairs but it did get crowded after lunch. My daughter had a great time going tidepooling under the dock. She also tried fishing. We didn't catch anything but other people were very successful. There was a laundry room with two washers and two dryers. This came in handy since we were away for 10 days. There is no beach access but the pool was good enough for us. We ate most of our meals in town. There was lots of shopping Boothbay. By the third day I was a little restless but this is because I personally am not a big sunbather. However, I would consider going back to this resort in the future because of the quiet, peaceful environment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Extended Stay America Portland-Scarborough
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend some time at this inn a few years ago and it was absolutely the very best vacation I've ever had. I would recommend it to anybody looking for the right balance of relaxation, class, delicious food, beautiful views and fun. I can't wait to come back again someday!

Room Tip: Snag one of the bicycles and take a ride into town to do some local shopping... the spa is wonderful...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This inn should be on the top of anyone's list when staying in this part of Maine. The location is simply beautiful, and so restful. the resort has a good bit to offer and one should plan to use as much as possible to be the best value. We stayed here with our Golden retriever and while the hotel was indeed pet friendly, they do not have an outdoor dining option that would allowed us to try their food. The rooms was very well detailed and nicely appointed. from the internet search, I'd venture that the rooms are among the best in this part of Maine. Every staff member we came in contact with was helpful and the overall atmosphere was more like a club than inn.

Room Tip: try to get a cabin.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CLT
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent five nights here during our last NE voyage. The views here are postcard perfect and the staff we encountered were very polite and friendly. The minute we arrived we added another night to our stay! The fact that this property allows us to bring our beloved pups with us is, in itself, exceptional. Our first room was clean, equipped w/coffee pot and fridge and an amazing view. You could spend your entire visit right there. They have two restaurants open, but only during meal hours which is sometimes a challenge. We also wished for a bit more creativity in the menu offerings, but the quality of the food was fine. Later in the week we found a wonderful little place in the town of Boothbay Harbor called the Blue Moon Cafe. They serve breakfast and lunch w/plenty of originality and vegetarian options.

Our move efforts to the second room on Thursday were disappointing due to a communication mishap late Wednesday with a man at the front desk who suggested we may have to be roomless on the property for as much as 4 hours, a bit tough with 2 dogs.

We spent most of the night on the internet searching for places...discouraging at the last minute w/two pups, to say the least. Early Thursday I sent emails to the owner of Spruce Point and 2 other staff managers. Within 1/2 hour of my email going out, the owner responded with an apology for the misunderstanding and a promise to make our move a priority. This was and still is so much appreciated! He and the Reservations Manager jumped through hoops to get us moved very soon after the other room was available. The second room was clean, a bit much on the room deodorizer, and no view other than the restaurants. There was a wedding party outside on the lawn directly in front of our room so we spent most of our last night huddled up i our room with the shades drawn, but I guess that's just the luck of the draw. All in all, we love the Spruce Point Inn and hope to return next fall. Thanks again to all who took care of us!

Room Tip: I highly recommend to any traveler to pay a little extra for ocean front views. Although the other r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
upstate ny
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Came for a friend's wedding. Grounds are perfect for this. Everything is within walking distance. The Spruce Point Inn planner helped and made sure there were no uninvited guests. Some of the wedding guests got a little carried away but it was all managed well. Food was great.Had a very WONDERFUL time. Hope to return. Did not use the spa.......maybe next time??

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 3 in Southport
Cap'n Fish's Waterfront Inn
Cap'n Fish's Waterfront Inn
#8 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!