“Five star romantic getaway!”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Five star romantic getaway!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Spruce Point Inn with my fiance the weekend before the 4th of July. We were celebrating our anniversary that weekend. We stayed in Balsam 2, an amazing oceanview room. We were facing the outdoor pool, harbor, and the SPI dock. The view was spectacular. The porch had two nice chairs to sit on and enjoy the view, which we did a lot during our stay. The bathroom was very large and had a whirlpool jacuzzi and separate stand up shower. I loved the bathroom. The room had its own fridge and coffee maker with a variety of K cups to use. Our favorite part about the SPI is all of the activities that you can take part in. We rode bikes (I conquered my 15 year fear of riding a bike after breaking my arm years ago), played shuffleboard, used both pools, game room, and the best part was sitting around a fire both nights eating smores. I would also recommend SPI to families. It has so many activities, kids would not get bored. One thing I noticed was that the hotel, although almost at full capacity never felt crowded. We always got a spot to sit at the pool and in the beautiful chairs they have facing the ocean around the property. There were children around, but I didn't even notice them. Everyone seemed content and spread out on the large property. On Saturday night we went on the Sarah Mead, a sailboat that docks at SPI. It was extra special to cruise right from the dock at our inn out into the beautiful ocean. We were with another couple (the boat seats 6). It was a very relaxing, romantic sail. It was both of our first times sailing and I would highly recommend this. I would also highly recommend having a wedding at SPI. Being a bride myself, I was in awe at the wedding that was taking place that weekend. It is gorgeous place to hold a ceremony, rehearsal dinner etc. I kept saying, I wish I was having my wedding here. So, if you know anyone who is looking for a Maine Destination Wedding - this is the place! The staff at the inn was always extremely helpful and friendly. I was really able to relax here. It was different than any other places I've been before. I have traveled quite a bit in my life and this is definitely a hidden gem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Dallas
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Pleasant stay in a very comfortable room with a partial ocean view. Our immediate view was of a pond that looked like it was lined, but the lining was coming apart and it wasn't very pretty. We chose to look beyond to Boothbay Harbor. Lovely with boats going by, The only other complaint was the pool area seemed a little outdated and tired looking. Overall very nice stay with wonderful service.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend a room in front of the pond as it's not very attractive. Waterfront roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Mid June 3 days 2 nights - The inn's Location is on the water about 1 mile walk from Boothbay Harbor town; their facilities are top notch including many places to relax and watch the ocean, lounge by the salt water pool on the ocean or dip in fresh water pool slightly inland; the room was comfortable and well equipped with poarch & chairs & table, decent size refridgerator, large bathroom (separate tub & shower), Keurig coffee & thermostatically controlled gas log stove, large flat screen TV; the staff very pleasant and helpful although a little "pre-season". Their optional "green" policy is backed up a nightly $10 credit for food/liquor - everybody wins!

Room Tip: Go with the extra for water view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas Hill Country
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Inn has it all--waterfront location, appealing and spacious accommodations, caring service, flavorful dining and fun activities. The classic-Maine shingled Inn, wings and cottages overlook the waters of Boothbay Harbor, with a view across to Burnt Island Lighthouse.

Most of the rooms are suites with separate sitting areas and have either private porches or balconies with views of water or gardens. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on our front porch and watching the lobster boats setting traps in the harbor. Our cottage had a large and lovely bathroom with separate shower and tub. Having a Keurig in the room meant we could have fresh coffee and tea whenever we wanted and the fridge was useful for storing 'doggy bags' to eat as snacks the next day.

We ate exceptional meals at both restaurants, including my first whole Maine lobster. If you can't get enough lobster, don't miss the Lobster Benedict for breakfast. You'll dream about it when you get home.

But my favorite thing about the Inn was Bright Line, the 29 foot launch used to ferry guests to town and sightseeing around the harbor. We visited the Aquarium, light house, downtown and even went out to the Hypocrites to see seals. Captain Shawn Griffith is knowledgeable about the town, flora and fauna and as a bonus, gives good recommendations on dining out.

My husband and I agreed this was our best vacation in years.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank verokat
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family and my extended family (17 of us in all) spent the week at SPI in 3 cottages -- Starboard B, Pelican, and Cardinal. The campus, the cottages, the harbor, the lighthouse, the boats, etc. were all quintessential "Maine."

The staff at SPI was friendly and helpful, and the entire campus was a nice oasis on the Maine coastline at Boothbay Harbor. The town itself was about 1.5 miles from SPI and easily accessible by any means of travel: car, shuttle boat, shuttle van, kayak, bicycle, walking, or by jogging -- and we did them all! The bikes and kayaks are included in the SPI package so there is no extra fees for these amenities. Access to washers and dryers for mid-week laundry is also free, you just need your own detergent, etc. The campus features a rec center with pool, ping-pong, air hockey and some arcade games as well as a play area for younger guests. The clay tennis courts are well-maintained, and there is an outdoor, oversized chess/checkers board for those who like to challenge themselves with 30" high game pieces! There are two pools, one freshwater and one saltwater, and both have plenty of lounge chairs to soak up the sun.

Captain Sean skippers the boat shuttle and takes passengers into Boothbay Harbor (BBH), or over to Burnt Island for a picnic at the lighthouse, or over to Southport for lunch at a dockside restaurant or even just a tour of the harbor.

The grounds supervisor, Scott, is always accessible, and he makes sure that requests for any services or amenities are quickly addressed. His team helped get us bikes and kayaks (specific thanks to John, the young staff member who made sure that we launched safely from the pier!). Joe, the Inn Manager, was also accessible at the main lodge, and he followed up with our extended group to make sure we were satisfied with the trip.

The negatives are very few. The housekeeping staff did an "OK" job, but these are not a professional staff; most of the housekeeping crew are college students from overseas who are summering in the US and trying to perfect their English-speaking skills. [Note: If you are ever in China and meet women who speak broken English with a strong Maine accent, they probably spent time here!] The cottage floors could all use a scrubbing, and we wore shoes throughout the cottages to keep the soles of our feet from getting blackened. Occasionally, the staff would miss the linen change for one of the cottage bathrooms, but a quick call to the front desk can remedy such an oversight.

When our tub drain was draining slow and backing up a little, the maintenance staff was prompt and efficient, and the problem was easily resolved. There is no food mart / convenience store on the campus, so any food for the fridge needed to be purchased in town or at the nearby grocery store (Hanneford's). Stock-up on your way in!

We dined at Bogies for dinner one night, and the food was decent and the service was good. Each cottage has a fridge and stove, coffee maker (unlimited coffee for the Keurig machines), and some dishes, utensils, etc. for in-room dining. We ventured out for dinner at Robinson's Wharf, Tug Boat Inn, and Whale's Tale. For breakfast and lunch in town, we tried Mama D's, Red Cup, and Moosehead Coffee & Ice Cream. I am providing reviews for each of these spots on Trip Advisor at their sites; please check there for the good (Mama D's, ask for Addie) and the not-so-good (Robinson's) reviews! Don't miss grabbing a bag of popcorn at Coastal Maine Popcorn Co. -- the dill pickle popcorn and the Maine Maple were our favorites!

Our whale watching tour on Boothbay Whale Watch was informative and fun, especially since we saw a couple humpback whales and a Minke! The harbor cruise aboard the Eastwind schooner was a great tour. All of these activities and places are within a few minutes from Spruce Point Inn, but make sure you get back to the Inn for at least one sunset across the harbor -- spectacular!

Room Tip: The Starboard B cottage has a great view of the harbor! Pelican cottage is cozy and bright, and is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PJG66
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just returned from a stay at Spruce Point Inn and already checking the calender for a return visit. Joe and his team have a spectacular property in a world class location. The room was spacious, comfortable and well appointed with a view of the harbor. The activities both on and off the property were also first class, sailing, clam bake, smores around the campfire and launch to shuttle you to town. We stayed 3 nights and would have liked to have stayed 3 months. Staff was courteous, friendly and informed about all the area had to offer. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the lodges but all rooms and cottages looked great
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Inn and what a relaxing and lovely trip we had. The property is immaculate, the service is very attentive, and the food is great. We had drinks and dinner at Bogies one night and ate at the restaurant 88 the next night, both meals were excellent.
The rooms are really lovely, offer great views and are very nicely decorated. The amenities are abundant. We used the kayaks, the boat shuttle service to town, bike rentals, and the salt water pool on the ocean( that was incredible!). The Spa was fantastic, very professional and peaceful. We booked a couples seaside massage and it was one of the best I have ever had. Thanks to the owners Joe and Angelo for making our trip very special.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boothbay Harbor
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates
Brown's Wharf Inn
Brown's Wharf Inn
#3 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!