“Tugboat has a place in our hearts....”

Tugboat Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tugboat has a place in our hearts....”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We have great family memories at the Tugboat and I've had super fun business meetings there through the years. We chose the Tug so my Mom wouldn't have to walk stairs....when we got there, no tables were available, (I had not been allowed to make a reservation for a party less than 7). There was no place for us to stay upstairs so we had to take Mom downstairs to the bar to wait. Then back up the stairs to eat. Service was as good as it could be for a full restaurant and servers covering too many tables. Tugboat has been around for ever and the older crowd probably doesn't care how dated everything looks because it is a piece of Boothbay history. It is the kind of restaurant that you really do expect to stay the same forever! You cannot beat the view. But the menu....really.....there is not even a complacent nod to the vegans or vegetarians that visit there. Vegans have feelings too....vegans like to celebrate just like everyone else. Being forced to order the house salad with oil and vinegar and call it dinner does not do anything except make a hungry girl get a bad attitude. At this point in time, it is completely unacceptable for any restaurant to not have at least a couple of options on a menu for herbivores. It really is offensive. Yes, if you read my other reviews, I have called out more than this restaurant for ignoring those that do not eat the flesh of animals, fish or crustaceans. Look at it from a business perspective.....you are leaving money on the table! We usually order an appetizer to split, sometimes a salad to split and two entrees as a couple. instead you sold two salads and two sides. The salads were crisp, fresh and yummy. The other two entrees were reported as delicious and there wasn't a crumb left. Will I return? Yes, because my Mom loves to go there, but I will probably eat a snack before I go. On a brighter note....the staff at the Tugboat has always been consistently attentive, and very, very sweet. The host was as adorable as they come. I always feel badly that the waitstaff is spread so thin, but the moment they can slow down enough to catch their breath, they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They are a hard working staff and deserve to be recognized.

• Visited August 2014

Tifton, Georgia
“Delicious soft shell crabs!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Tugboat Inn Restaurant was where I ate my first whole Maine lobster several years ago. When we stayed in Boothbay Harbor recently, it was on my list to enjoy again. I chose their very affordable special that evening of soft shell lobster with delicious sides and of course dessert! The service and view is great. We will go again.

• Visited August 2014
Hudson
“Good not great!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Had to wait for a table, which was no big deal but the hostess told us we couldn't get drinks at the bar because the bartender was too busy! But we did anyways! My chicken dish was okay, and my sister wished for more lobster in her Mac and cheese. Mom can't remember what she had!

Delran
“Maine Vacation”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The staff was great. We had the Lobster Bisque. It was creamy and had small pieces of lobster. Very rich.

Visited July 2014
North Dighton, Massachusetts
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Great food, great service. This is a great location, right on the water in Booth Bay Harbor. Our waiter was fabulous, he made every attempt to make us feel comfortable. The food and the the portions were very good. The atmosphere was great looking out at the harbor while eating at dusk. Very rustic and clean inside. We will make every effort to return to the Tugboat when we come back for vacation in Booth Bay Harbor.

Visited August 2014